PDA

View Full Version : Casey Mears

Chamoo
25th January 2010, 15:57
Would any of you like to see Casey Mears run the 2010 Indianapolis 500? He is set to be a free agent after Bristol in the Sprint Cup series and will be available come May (unless his team is able to scrape together more sponsorship).

He is an American, he has the last name, he has some talent, he has Open Wheel experience, and he knows what Indianapolis means.

Nascar has made him popular, even if he only ran around near the middle of the pack most of his career, Nascar can make their 40th place driver as popular as the Izod Indycar's 6th place driver (atleast in the eyes of average America).

I think Casey Mears would definately bring some more eyes to Indy this year if he were to run. Obviously, it wouldn't make the big impact that Tony Stewart or Kurt or Kyle Bush would make, but it's a start isn't it? Group Robbie Gordon, John Andretti, and Casey Mears into the starting 33 and you appeal to some more Nascab fans as well as some average Americans who know who they are.

Scotty G.
25th January 2010, 16:47
Casey Mears should have already made 6 or 7 Indy 500 starts in his career, if Indy Car had any clue.

Yes, I would love to see a Mears back in the Indy 500 again. He's somebody someone has actually heard of.

Jag_Warrior
25th January 2010, 17:10
The more the better... and particularly if they have a "last name".

Lee Roy
25th January 2010, 17:11
I think Casey Mears would definately bring some more eyes to Indy this year if he were to run. Obviously, it wouldn't make the big impact that Tony Stewart or Kurt or Kyle Bush would make, but it's a start isn't it? Group Robbie Gordon, John Andretti, and Casey Mears into the starting 33 and you appeal to some more Nascab fans as well as some average Americans who know who they are.

I would imagine nearly all of the people who currently follow Casey Mears in NASCAR already watch the Indy 500 too. Mears has made very little impression on NASCAR. Most NASCAR fans don't follow wash-outs when they fall out of the Major Leagues.

MDS
25th January 2010, 18:30
There may be a number of NASCAR drivers with open wheel experience available during the month of May. Per Jayski John Andretti, Patrick Carpentier, Michael McDowell, J.J. Yeley and Robby Gordon don't have full time rides secured this year, and A.J. Allmendinger is running a partial schedule at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that would include the Coke 600. While none of them would be an quick fix, they're all qualified American (except Carp) drivers with a plethora of oval experience and I'd like to see them added to the field of any ICS race. Sadly none of them would bring any significant money to the table, and that's what it takes to get rides these days.

The only one I've heard looking at making an Indy 500 appearance this year has been Robby Gordon, but then again Robby Gordon is always looking at making an Indy 500 start.

Also, this is nothing but a guess on my part, but if his cup program fails, or is bought out, he might take what sponsorship he has; Monster, Polaris, and Menards and maybe go to an ICS team, or start one next year. He's talked about wanting to work with his brother-in-law a couple of times.

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2010, 22:13
Casey Mears should have already made 6 or 7 Indy 500 starts in his career, if Indy Car had any clue.

Yes, I would love to see a Mears back in the Indy 500 again. He's somebody someone has actually heard of.

If they had a clue? Anyone here know if Casey made the decision to go to NASCAR on his own willingly? You assume always it is the conspiracy against American drivers by American owners purely to annoy you. He is not a great driver in NASCAR, and he wasn't any leading light in open wheel.

If he comes back, the needle barely moves really.....

Josh1985
25th January 2010, 23:10
I would love to see Mears in the month of May. I've always thought it was a shame he wasnt in Indycar. I guess we will see what happens....keep your fingers crossed...

Scotty G.
26th January 2010, 00:05
If they had a clue? Anyone here know if Casey made the decision to go to NASCAR on his own willingly? You assume always it is the conspiracy against American drivers by American owners purely to annoy you. He is not a great driver in NASCAR, and he wasn't any leading light in open wheel.

If he comes back, the needle barely moves really.....

Yes, they haven't had a clue. Proof is in the pudding.

Casey left for NASCAR for the same reasons most Americans go to NASCAR. Opportunity and because you don't get hired in Indy Cars anymore, unless you write a check. He spent a nice period of time in NASCAR, being PAID to race and never having to spend a dime to buy his ride. He lost his seat, for the reason you SHOULD lose a seat in racing....lack of results.

Mears is someone, whose skills were/are better suited for Indy Car Racing. Just like Hornish (who also won't be around much longer in Cup either). ;)

Chamoo
26th January 2010, 00:46

Casey left for NASCAR for the same reasons most Americans go to NASCAR. Opportunity and because you don't get hired in Indy Cars anymore, unless you write a check. He spent a nice period of time in NASCAR, being PAID to race and never having to spend a dime to buy his ride. He lost his seat, for the reason you SHOULD lose a seat in racing....lack of results.

Mears is someone, whose skills were/are better suited for Indy Car Racing. Just like Hornish (who also won't be around much longer in Cup either). ;)

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Casey Mears lost his ride because of sponsorship issues. RCR only has 3 cars this season due to the sponsorship issues. Sound familiar?

Lee Roy
26th January 2010, 01:20
Well, if I'm not mistaken, Casey Mears lost his ride because of sponsorship issues. RCR only has 3 cars this season due to the sponsorship issues. Sound familiar?

Most times, sponsorship issues are caused by performance issues.

How long did Casey drive for Hendrick, the team that finished 1, 2, 3 in the championship this year?

MDS
26th January 2010, 02:55
Casey signed with a new team that will likely start and park a couple of races.

Basically he, and most of the drivers who could/should be in the ICS would rather be mid to back of the pack in NASCAR than in a competitive seat in the ICS. That has to change.

Civic
26th January 2010, 08:55
I don't remember his results with Mo Nunn (maybe they weren't memorable?) but how did you guys think he did while at Nunn?

DanicaFan
26th January 2010, 09:10
Casey signed up with Keyed-Up Motorsports, a new team for this year. He will be driving the #90 car. The team plans on securing sponsorship to run Casey for a full year so I doubt we will see him in Indy.

Chamoo
26th January 2010, 13:21
Casey signed up with Keyed-Up Motorsports, a new team for this year. He will be driving the #90 car. The team plans on securing sponsorship to run Casey for a full year so I doubt we will see him in Indy.

Plans regarding sponsorship at this point in the game usually don't happen. The owners of Keyed-Up Motorsports have no sponsorship at the moment, they are simply paying out of their own pockets for the first 6 races hoping they can find sponsorship for the remainder of the year. I've got odds saying they don't get to May full-time.

Mark in Oshawa
26th January 2010, 17:50

Scott, he lost his ride because he lost his sponsor. NOT for performance. Indirectly yes, performance would have maybe attracted sponsors.

Hornish isn't going anywhere if Roger doesn't want him to go anywhere. He is still improving. Once again, Sam Hornish not being in cup much longer is your opinion only.

Mark in Oshawa
26th January 2010, 17:51
Plans regarding sponsorship at this point in the game usually don't happen. The owners of Keyed-Up Motorsports have no sponsorship at the moment, they are simply paying out of their own pockets for the first 6 races hoping they can find sponsorship for the remainder of the year. I've got odds saying they don't get to May full-time.

Can you say "start and park?"

Scotty G.
26th January 2010, 23:02
1. Scott, he lost his ride because he lost his sponsor. NOT for performance.

2. Hornish isn't going anywhere if Roger doesn't want him to go anywhere. He is still improving. Once again, Sam Hornish not being in cup much longer is your opinion only.

1. Uhh, it wasn't HIS sponsor. It was his TEAM's sponsor. When they left, the TEAM was left with 3 primary sponsors and 4 drivers. They dumped the 4th best performing driver (which is what professional race teams are supposed to do).

If he had perfomed better, he'd still have a good ride with somebody. That simple. Lucky for him, this new team is giving him yet another shot for at least the first 5 races. At least for him, he can still get hired in Cup (even if its in a bottom-feeder ride).

2. If Sam now gets his ass handed to him by Keselowski (which probably will happen), its not going to be good for him. He has improved from unbelievably bad to just below average. Still a long way to go and many, many really talented drivers in front of him to get into the above average category. And pretty soon, it will be Mobil 1's call, on whether Sam continues on or not. With other primary sponsors bailing on Cup teams, that is a important factor to consider.

Sam has never shown anything that says he will ever be a top-end Cup driver. Montoya by now, had at least shown flashes. So had Robby Gordon (who never did make it). So have most young Cup drivers in the past 15 years, who went onto having long Cup careers. I'd put Sam in a similar boat as Allmendinger. Both need to show something significant this year to stay in Cup in 2011.

Mark in Oshawa
26th January 2010, 23:19
1. Uhh, it wasn't HIS sponsor. It was his TEAM's sponsor. When they left, the TEAM was left with 3 primary sponsors and 4 drivers. They dumped the 4th best performing driver (which is what professional race teams are supposed to do).

If he had perfomed better, he'd still have a good ride with somebody. That simple. Lucky for him, this new team is giving him yet another shot for at least the first 5 races. At least for him, he can still get hired in Cup (even if its in a bottom-feeder ride).

2. If Sam now gets his ass handed to him by Keselowski (which probably will happen), its not going to be good for him. He has improved from unbelievably bad to just below average. Still a long way to go and many, many really talented drivers in front of him to get into the above average category. And pretty soon, it will be Mobil 1's call, on whether Sam continues on or not. With other primary sponsors bailing on Cup teams, that is a important factor to consider.

Sam has never shown anything that says he will ever be a top-end Cup driver. Montoya by now, had at least shown flashes. So had Robby Gordon (who never did make it). So have most young Cup drivers in the past 15 years, who went onto having long Cup careers. I'd put Sam in a similar boat as Allmendinger. Both need to show something significant this year to stay in Cup in 2011.

Allmendinger has never had a good car under him, yet has shown flashes of brilliance. Sam has had less of an excuse, but NASCAR is a funny business. It isn't something all OW guys figure out....

MDS
27th January 2010, 01:12
Interestingly enough Iain Watts, former engineer for Newman Haass and Team Green has been promoted to Robby Gordon's crew chief. Probably nothing, but if I were looking at switching back between series Watts would be one of the guys to hire.

beachbum
27th January 2010, 03:51
Interestingly enough Iain Watts, former engineer for Newman Haass and Team Green has been promoted to Robby Gordon's crew chief. Probably nothing, but if I were looking at switching back between series Watts would be one of the guys to hire.So... based on that analysis, Michael Waltrip racing hired Steve Hallam, so they must be looking at F1? Got it.

MDS
27th January 2010, 04:53
So... based on that analysis, Michael Waltrip racing hired Steve Hallam, so they must be looking at F1? Got it.

So when I said it probably means nothing you just read over that part?

beachbum
27th January 2010, 11:32
So when I said it probably means nothing you just read over that part?IMHO, the implication was that the addition of Iain Watts might indicate Robbie's interest in moving to series with cars more in line with Watts experience. As you say it might mean nothing. If it means nothing, why suggest the implication?

Again, IHMO this may imply that NASCAR is moving to a technical level where engineers with experience in other "high tech" racing bring additional value to the teams.

MDS
27th January 2010, 14:45
Watts has been in NASCAR for at least two years now. The only reason I think their might be something more to it is that Robby has no money. He's looking at making the first eight or so races before having to shut his team down for lack of funds. I get the job market in NASCAR isn't what it was two years ago, but it looks a bit odd for an engineer of Watt's caliber to go to a team that might not make it to Charlotte.

Mark in Oshawa
27th January 2010, 16:30
Watts has been in NASCAR for at least two years now. The only reason I think their might be something more to it is that Robby has no money. He's looking at making the first eight or so races before having to shut his team down for lack of funds. I get the job market in NASCAR isn't what it was two years ago, but it looks a bit odd for an engineer of Watt's caliber to go to a team that might not make it to Charlotte.

Watt's may not have had any other offers. As good as he may or may not be, there is a lot of smart guys out there. He may also already be in Charlotte and not wanting to move up to Indy.

MDS
27th January 2010, 17:10
So to sum up my position: Robby hired an engineer with a lot of open wheel experience. Probably means nothing, small chance it could signify something else. Just total speculation on my part. No idea what's really going on.

Mark in Oshawa
27th January 2010, 20:29
That's what the silly season is for.
:p

I find Silly season often better entertainment than some races..and that goes for other forms of racing besides NASCAR as well. Silly season and gossip is more.....up in the air, and opinions can fly every which way.

MDS
27th January 2010, 22:35
And as it turns out Robby is in fact pursuing a ride in 500.

He was a guest on some NASCAR program, and when asked about making an attempt at Indy this year he replied, "We giving it serious consideration right now... I would like to go to the Indy 500."

Guess my "Crystal Ball" was fairly accurate. It looks like he is going to do a partial schedule, he's lost Jim Beam as a sponsor, but Monster looks to be upping their involvement with him. He also has a very good relationship with John Menard.

http://www.planetrobby.com

Chamoo
27th January 2010, 23:21
And as it turns out Robby is in fact pursuing a ride in 500.

He was a guest on some NASCAR program, and when asked about making an attempt at Indy this year he replied, "We giving it serious consideration right now... I would like to go to the Indy 500."

Guess my "Crystal Ball" was fairly accurate. It looks like he is going to do a partial schedule, he's lost Jim Beam as a sponsor, but Monster looks to be upping their involvement with him. He also has a very good relationship with John Menard.

http://www.planetrobby.com

Well KVRT might pick him up for the 500 if he has Monster backing (PT connection).

MDS
27th January 2010, 23:39
Well KVRT might pick him up for the 500 if he has Monster backing (PT connection).

If he has money I think he'll have his pick of teams, he could also use his own team with rented equipment, as he's done in the past.

Josh1985
12th February 2010, 00:08
Mears was unable to make the field for the Daytona 500. I'm thinking that can only help the chances of us seeing him at Indy this May.