PDA

View Full Version : 3D films

Mark
25th January 2010, 11:33
We do seem to be in a new 3D craze at the moment. Most of the hype is surrounding Avatar, which I haven't seen and tbh, don't fancy that much.

But I went to see Toy Story 2 3D over the weekend, and although I've seen the film before - many times, it was impressive to see it in 3D, although it wasn't quite as in your face as I might have expected, the extra depth to the picture does make a difference.

Personally I think it's only really animated films, or those that are heavy on the CGI which will benefit from being shown in 3D. For your average rom-com I think 3D would detract from, rather than enhance the experience.

Sonic
25th January 2010, 12:02
3D films give me a headache! Although that said I am taking my boy to see Toy Story 2 3D

306 Cosworth
25th January 2010, 13:02
Anyone going to see the England 6 nations game in 3D at their Cinema? Seems like a load of bollox to me :s

Mark
25th January 2010, 13:16
Anyone going to see the England 6 nations game in 3D at their Cinema? Seems like a load of bollox to me :s

I believe a lot of the world cup matches are going to be broadcast this way. Both at the cinema and on 3D-TV.

I think at the cinema it would be quite good, if you have a good crowd there, next step away from being there!

F1boat
25th January 2010, 13:54
I loved Avatar and I hope that soon we will have 3d versions of Star Wars.

GridGirl
25th January 2010, 14:04
I saw Harry Potter in 3D a couple of years ago but it was only the fight scene at the end that was shown in 3D.

Apart from that the only 3D stuff I've seen was when I was physically verifying parts of the IMAX whilst at work. Having looked at IMAX revenue steams previously they never seemed to be making much money. Maybe I should pay more attention to them this year if 3D films have finally taken off. Damn this thread for making me think of work during my lunch break. :p

Mark
25th January 2010, 15:46
I saw Harry Potter in 3D a couple of years ago but it was only the fight scene at the end that was shown in 3D.

Apart from that the only 3D stuff I've seen was when I was physically verifying parts of the IMAX whilst at work. Having looked at IMAX revenue steams previously they never seemed to be making much money. Maybe I should pay more attention to them this year if 3D films have finally taken off. Damn this thread for making me think of work during my lunch break. :p

There's a new Odeon opened at the Metro Centre in Gateshead. It has IMAX, digital projectors, 3D capability, the works! Although I haven't seen the IMAX screen the picture quality on Toy Story was superb compared with what you would expect from film.

F1boat
25th January 2010, 15:50

I'd like to see the final movie, DH 2, in 3d.

Captain VXR
25th January 2010, 20:00
Avatar 3D was brilliant, I couldn't even get to sleep after watching it on both occasions, no other film has ever managed that. 3D is the way forward for films. I want 3D GTA

slinkster
25th January 2010, 21:03
I really thought it was worth paying an extra quid to see Avatar in 3D. I think it just took it up a notch on the visuals, it felt more... real. However, the film could standalone as visually stunning without it. I found it actually blurred some detail when there was lots of movement, but generally I thought it added to the feel of the film.

I've also been to an Imax though it wasn't a film release so much as a documentary on Nascar (not my choice :-P ). I enjoyed the experience of it... I find the whole 3D thing adds a really interesting quality and can enhance the right sort of film. Like someone else said though- it's not going to work on all films. Any film maker (and film fan for that matter) who cares about cinematography and the art of film rather purely making money will appreciate the qualities that a 3D effect can have on the visuals.

Im next looking forward to Tim Burton's next release- Alice in Wonderland and might be tempted to see that in 3D also. :-)