PDA

View Full Version : The future of Nick Heidfeld

jens
23rd January 2010, 14:31
We don't know whether Heidfeld is going to end up at Renault or without a drive yet, but not many seem too interested in this poor lad at the moment. Still without drive and who knows, it may not be completely impossible that his F1 career has already come to an end.

Heidfeld's career IMO is a vivid proof that coincidences and circumstances play a notable role in an outcome of a driver's career. IMO Nick has been just plain unlucky and this silly season is a clear proof of it. Yes, he is not the Schumacher or Hamilton of this world, who every team would rush to sign at the first opportunity. But he is an excellent second tier driver and among them coincidences and factors as such already come into play. The comparison of the careers of Coulthard and Heidfeld is a perfect example of it. Coulthard managed to get a top seat thanks to tragedy and although he never set the world alight, he was somehow just good enough to hang onto a top team seat for a long time. Heidfeld, however, has been impressing in midfield teams and has just narrowly missed top seats. One reason is that often top teams already have two decent drivers, so there is no urgent need to replace one of them.

However, whenever there has been an opening in a top team, Heidfeld has been unlucky to have a very uncomfortable rival on the driver market, who just narrowly nicks the seat in front of him. There was an opening in McLaren in 2001, but Heidfeld was unlucky that one of the most impressive rookies of recent seasons just happened to drive alongside him in the same team and impress enough to beat him to the drive. The 2009 driver market has offered us a very telling summary of Heidfeld's career. He was a back-up option to two top teams - Mercedes and McLaren - but was just beaten to those seats by the most successful driver of all times and the reigning world champion. Of course both options are more attractive to teams even if we may argue whether they would be a superior option in terms of driver performance. Once Heidfeld actually got a drive in a team that was supposed to be a top one - BMW-Williams. But he was unfortunate that their slide began just then, so he suffered a bit of an Alesiesque effect.

Heidfeld has had one more problem in his career. He has too often had younger team-mates, which means that he has never had the opportunity to build hype around him as an up-and-coming driver. I mean some are still saying that Sutil is future hopeful. However, Heidfeld was paired with rookies already in his second and third F1 seasons and although factually he was still young and relatively new, he looked a peaking experienced old hand alongside them, thus non-attractive any more. Amazing, isn't it? A driver only in his second season in F1 looks "past"? Heidfeld should have been a hot property after winning a dominant F3000 title, but somehow ended in that terrible Prost. Although he matched Alesi there, who I would call one of the defining drivers of the 90's, due to that awful car no-one cared. For instance Button got much more attention despite getting beaten by Ralf. In retrospect it can be said that the shadow of the Prost failure (why the hell did he end up there after dominating F3000? :\ ) has managed to damage Heidfeld's career for good.

Sonic
23rd January 2010, 15:27
The vibe I get from renault is that they do not want to pair Nick and Robert up again so IMO that's it for Nick in F1.

As you say, you can argue he hasn't been given a shot, but evidently Nick has not demonstrated his worth to the big teams so they haven't come knocking. The only place he really had a hope of going was Sauber, but as we know money is calling the shots there.

I wish him well in sportscars. ;)

Nikki Katz
23rd January 2010, 18:02
ESPN are saying that he's going to be announced as Mercedes' test driver on Monday. I guess that means that if the Schumacher comeback doesn't work then he'll get a race seat with the reigning champions, but that's probably not too likely. Unless he's being considered for 2011 then that's probably that as far as F1's concerned.

RS
23rd January 2010, 18:06
That's a shame, I think Nick had more to give but money talks these days.

In an ideal world I'd have seen Heidfeld and Klien at Sauber.

52Paddy
23rd January 2010, 18:19
We don't know whether Heidfeld is going to end up at Renault or without a drive yet, but not many seem too interested in this poor lad at the moment. Still without drive and who knows, it may not be completely impossible that his F1 career has already come to an end.

Heidfeld's career IMO is a vivid proof that coincidences and circumstances play a notable role in an outcome of a driver's career. IMO Nick has been just plain unlucky and this silly season is a clear proof of it. Yes, he is not the Schumacher or Hamilton of this world, who every team would rush to sign at the first opportunity. But he is an excellent second tier driver and among them coincidences and factors as such already come into play. The comparison of the careers of Coulthard and Heidfeld is a perfect example of it. Coulthard managed to get a top seat thanks to tragedy and although he never set the world alight, he was somehow just good enough to hang onto a top team seat for a long time. Heidfeld, however, has been impressing in midfield teams and has just narrowly missed top seats. One reason is that often top teams already have two decent drivers, so there is no urgent need to replace one of them.

However, whenever there has been an opening in a top team, Heidfeld has been unlucky to have a very uncomfortable rival on the driver market, who just narrowly nicks the seat in front of him. There was an opening in McLaren in 2001, but Heidfeld was unlucky that one of the most impressive rookies of recent seasons just happened to drive alongside him in the same team and impress enough to beat him to the drive. The 2009 driver market has offered us a very telling summary of Heidfeld's career. He was a back-up option to two top teams - Mercedes and McLaren - but was just beaten to those seats by the most successful driver of all times and the reigning world champion. Of course both options are more attractive to teams even if we may argue whether they would be a superior option in terms of driver performance. Once Heidfeld actually got a drive in a team that was supposed to be a top one - BMW-Williams. But he was unfortunate that their slide began just then, so he suffered a bit of an Alesiesque effect.

Heidfeld has had one more problem in his career. He has too often had younger team-mates, which means that he has never had the opportunity to build hype around him as an up-and-coming driver. I mean some are still saying that Sutil is future hopeful. However, Heidfeld was paired with rookies already in his second and third F1 seasons and although factually he was still young and relatively new, he looked a peaking experienced old hand alongside them, thus non-attractive any more. Amazing, isn't it? A driver only in his second season in F1 looks "past"? Heidfeld should have been a hot property after winning a dominant F3000 title, but somehow ended in that terrible Prost. Although he matched Alesi there, who I would call one of the defining drivers of the 90's, due to that awful car no-one cared. For instance Button got much more attention despite getting beaten by Ralf. In retrospect it can be said that the shadow of the Prost failure (why the hell did he end up there after dominating F3000? :\ ) has managed to damage Heidfeld's career for good.

Very well written jens :up: I agree with that.

F1boat
23rd January 2010, 18:23
IMO he will be a 3rd drive in Mercedes and will drive for them in the DTM as well.

truefan72
23rd January 2010, 19:26
ESPN are saying that he's going to be announced as Mercedes' test driver on Monday. I guess that means that if the Schumacher comeback doesn't work then he'll get a race seat with the reigning champions, but that's probably not too likely. Unless he's being considered for 2011 then that's probably that as far as F1's concerned.

I think that is the best option for him.

I think Nick has been given a fair shake at f1 and has driven fairly competitive cars. Yes he has never driven the top 3 cars on the grid, but he has been in f1 a long time and at the end of the day his management is too blame for that reason. I think teams don't rate him that high as a seasoned veteran that can groom a younger teammate or provide quality insight like Rubens or even trulli or fisi. And he isn't a proven race winner like DC. Therefore the only thing he has going for him is the amount of F1 races he has been in and a certain (but limited) fan base he might bring.

I still think he can drive in F1 and should get an F1 seat, but i do understand teams passing up on him. At this point, I am sure he has made sufficient money in his career to tell his management that he is willing to drive for pennies ( like button and Rubns did) or willing to be a 3rd driver at Mercedes ( which is what I think he is smartly doing) or mclaren or williams.

truefan72
23rd January 2010, 19:36

I'd say Heidfeld's problem is not down to being unlucky but down to having a not so good management team that has probably not done him favors over the years.

Compound that with a more lackadaisical attitude towards driving unless being pushed by a competitive teammate and at times lacking true motivation to perform his best, and a driver who only really performs when he is threatened with loosing his seat. This all makes for a solid yet unspectacular driver that usually lacks the kind of aggression and desperation that top drivers have.
I do agree that DC is no better than heidfeld in terms of driving but he did have 1-2 years where he demonstrated a fierceness in his driving that i don't think Heidfeld would have displayed. Then again he wasn't driving a mclaren so we might never know.

pettersolberg29
23rd January 2010, 19:41
Very good post jens. I just cannot believe Nick is without a drive next year. He is far better than a load of deadwood even amongst the top teams. Is there any chance of a seat with Campos or USF1 if Reanult doesn't come calling? If Renault doesn't get Nick, who will they get? There is no-one better than Nick outside of F1.

CNR
23rd January 2010, 21:19
http://www.crash.net/f1/News/156215/1/heidfeld_out_of_renault_running_as_he_accepts_merc edes_reserve_role.html

Nick Heidfeld's career as an active F1 driver could be over at the age of just 32, it appears, after the BMW refugee agrees terms to complete an all-German 'super team' at Mercedes Grand Prix as test and reserve driver in 2010

jonny hurlock
23rd January 2010, 22:45
In retrospect it can be said that the shadow of the Prost failure (why the hell did he end up there after dominating F3000? :\ ) has managed to damage Heidfeld's career for good.

look back at that possibley one of the wrost choices in his career

The vibe I get from renault is that they do not want to pair Nick and Robert up again so IMO that's it for Nick in F1.

As you say, you can argue he hasn't been given a shot, but evidently Nick has not demonstrated his worth to the big teams so they haven't come knocking. The only place he really had a hope of going was Sauber, but as we know money is calling the shots there.

I wish him well in sportscars. ;)

its a shame, I think imo that are renault are very idiotic not giving him a change, if they wanted to go forward with the team, if its a driver like Ho-Pin Tung or a Jacques Villenunve getting the drive I personally think they are complete bonkers imo.

if this confirmed his reviesed driver at mercedes, and if schumacher does have problem, you never know, asked mark blundell in 1995 for mclaren.

Sonic
23rd January 2010, 23:05
if this confirmed his reviesed driver at mercedes, and if schumacher does have problem, you never know, asked mark blundell in 1995 for mclaren.

Very true! Billy Blundell ended up doing, what, 14 or 15 GP'S that year? With a very entertaining battle with Rubens at Silverstone IIRC enfing with Mark crossing the line for a couple of points with just 3 wheels on his wagon. Good times.

I doubt Schu will have any trouble fitting in the merc tho.....

Perhaps we could arrange a stanna stairlift "accident" for the old geezer! ;)

ShiftingGears
24th January 2010, 00:28
In an ideal world I'd have seen Heidfeld and Klien at Sauber.

Klien? Everyone keeps mentioning him but he had a lot of time in F1 and proved he doesn't deserve a place on the grid. His driving is not impressive in the slightest.

Hondo
24th January 2010, 14:06
After a long association I think Peter Sauber feels Nick cannot deliver what Sauber wants his race drivers to deliver. On the bright side, Nick still got a job before Villeneuve did.

52Paddy
24th January 2010, 14:40
After a long association I think Peter Sauber feels Nick cannot deliver what Sauber wants his race drivers to deliver.

And what is that?

Let me see: Frentzen and Heidfeld probably have the most starts for Sauber off the top of my head. Has anybody delivered what Peter Sauber wanted them to deliver? Sauber's drivers over the years seldom lasted over 2 years in the seat (a couple did have 3 years but not many). Maybe it's Peter Sauber cannot deliver what Nick wants his car/team to deliver. Sure, he's had a long association with the team, and put in some mighty performances over the years in underdog cars, but that 2009 car was a complete dog and I find it really unfair if Peter Sauber finds Heidfeld inadequate for the job.

Bagwan
24th January 2010, 17:34
On the bright side, Nick still got a job before Villeneuve did.

Unless we find out that Jacques got the seat that Nick wanted .

Sonic
24th January 2010, 17:41
Unless we find out that Jacques got the seat that Nick wanted .

I don't think JV is in at Renault. The new boss (his name escapes me at the moment) said their were four drivers up for the seat, 2 with experience and 2 without. One of the experienced ones was surely Nick and Grosjean is probably the other. I can really only imagine JV at USF1, Renault just doesn't fit IMO.

jens
24th January 2010, 18:20
So a test driver at Mercedes?

In a way I appreciate Heidfeld's gamble. Considering his age it's pretty much now or never in terms of top drive. He has been racing around in midfield already enough not to be too interested in continuing there, so he is trying his best to get a break with Mercedes. He is obviously betting on Schumacher's neck injury and who knows, maybe finally he gets lucky in his career-choice. Although considering Heidi's fate so far, Mercedes will probably call Räikkönen or someone else to fill in as a replacement for Schumi if needed. :p :

Hondo
24th January 2010, 19:07
And what is that?

Let me see: Frentzen and Heidfeld probably have the most starts for Sauber off the top of my head. Has anybody delivered what Peter Sauber wanted them to deliver? Sauber's drivers over the years seldom lasted over 2 years in the seat (a couple did have 3 years but not many). Maybe it's Peter Sauber cannot deliver what Nick wants his car/team to deliver. Sure, he's had a long association with the team, and put in some mighty performances over the years in underdog cars, but that 2009 car was a complete dog and I find it really unfair if Peter Sauber finds Heidfeld inadequate for the job.

I don't know what it would be. Peter Sauber knows Nick as well as anybody else out there, and he doesn't want him. That is pretty clear.

jens
24th January 2010, 19:19
I don't know what it would be. Peter Sauber knows Nick as well as anybody else out there, and he doesn't want him. That is pretty clear.

Well, I don't think anyone seriously considers de la Rosa as a superior option to Heidfeld, including Mr Sauber. You may argue that Heidfeld wanted too much salary or simply turned down a Sauber opportunity in order to take a full gamble on Mercedes. That we don't know precisely yet.

Actually Heidfeld's situation is quite similar to Panis' in 2000. Both dropped out of F1 in similar age (I think Olivier was 32 back then too) and became test- and reserve drivers in a top team. Back in 1999 I didn't understand, why Panis was left without drive either - he was clearly good enough to race in F1. But Panis managed to make a comeback into F1 and race for some solid teams. So there is a positive example for Heidfeld.

wedge
24th January 2010, 23:11
Well, I don't think anyone seriously considers de la Rosa as a superior option to Heidfeld, including Mr Sauber. You may argue that Heidfeld wanted too much salary or simply turned down a Sauber opportunity in order to take a full gamble on Mercedes. That we don't know precisely yet.

PDLR spyed *ahem* pass on McLaren secrets to Mr Sauber :D

Hondo
25th January 2010, 01:57
I'm not arguing for or against Heidfeld. I was merely pointing out that Sauber has had long experience with Nick and has decided not to hire him. Although I don't know, I doubt money was the issue.

Valve Bounce
25th January 2010, 02:53
PDLR spyed *ahem* pass on McLaren secrets to Mr Sauber :D

This is very interesting. I remember some time ago that Williams were keen to offer Ant a test drive but BAR/Honda blocked the move. Bar/Honda had a great car that year and I suspect that Williams never intended Ant to race, but were keen to have him as their test driver and bring valuable information with him.

Going back to Nick, many here had great hopes for Nick Heidfeld and even opined that he should have been the one to go to McLaren and not Kimi. I am sure he is still a very capable driver, and find it difficult to understand why so many untried youngsters can get a drive ahead of him.

woody2goody
25th January 2010, 04:24
I'm completely flabbergasted as to why Peter Sauber has gone for de la Rosa and Kobayashi over Heidfeld and Klien.

As much as I like the first pair, Heidfeld drove very well last year, beat his supposedly more highly rated team-mate most of the time, and Klien is only 26, with three years of racing and three years of testing behind him.

Despite Kobayashi's impressive displays at the end of last year, they were only two Grands Prix. He isn't going to let Sauber down, but a seat in a lower team would have been more tailored to his experience level, as he is a rookie. He has quite a few years of testing under his belt though, which would have worked in his favour.

Nick Heidfeld has, over his career so far; shown consistency, mechanical sympathy, overtaking prowess, a good technical brain and excellent race-craft. Yes he's one of the older drivers, but come on - Sutil still has a seat for next year for Pete's sake :D

It's a strange decision by the Swiss team to decide to bring in two new drivers, over two who were already entrenched into the culture of the team in Hinwil, and IMO two guys who form a slightly better driver tandem than the two they have actually gone for.

Sauber are a favourite team of mine, but it's frustrating to see a baffling decision like this at a time where solidity is needed. It worked wonders for Brawn, so why not here, where the situation is, if anything, more favourable.

jens
25th January 2010, 12:32
Although I don't know, I doubt money was the issue.

Actually most probably it was. After the withdrawal of BMW Sauber is really struggling to get the funds together, hence they have needed two paydrivers. We haven't heard anything about potential sponsors for Sauber in 2010 yet except those, who the drivers might bring with themselves!

Sauber are a favourite team of mine, but it's frustrating to see a baffling decision like this at a time where solidity is needed. It worked wonders for Brawn, so why not here, where the situation is, if anything, more favourable.

More favourable? I don't think so, because according to my knowledge unlike Honda BMW is not going to fund the team's operation for one more year after pulling out. Peter is in a really critical situation and needed to make a sensible compromise - he didn't choose the best and possibly the most expensive driver out there, likewise didn't choose the richest driver (Petrov).

I know many people are surprised by Sauber's decision, but I assume he knows his team's situation best to evaluate, what he can afford and what he can't. I read from those decisions that the team is in trouble.

Hondo
26th January 2010, 05:04
I didn't know Pedro de la Rosa was a pay driver. How much is his mother giving Peter?

Dzeidzei
26th January 2010, 08:43
Did Merc announce Nicks role as a test pilot? If so, thats it for Nick in F1. In a way thats sad since it shows you can buy your way to any team.

Dunno why Sauber didnt go for Nick. Maybe its that idiotic mustache?

ArrowsFA1
4th February 2010, 10:48
Nick Heidfeld is to be Mercedes GP's reserve driver
http://twitter.com/noblef1

http://www.mercedes-gp.com/newsread.asp?mgp=j%BA%A5%99lT%7F

f1indiablog
4th February 2010, 11:16
Nick Heidfled is "very pleased" to join Mercedes GP F1 team:
“I am very pleased to be joining the MERCEDES GP PETRONAS Formula One Team. It’s the team which has attracted the most interest in the close season, not only because of the comeback of Michael Schumacher, but also because this season sees the return of the Silver Arrows cars as a Mercedes-Benz works team for the first time in over fifty years. Whilst I would of course have preferred a seat as an active driver, I am really proud to be part of the new Silver Arrows team. I have seen how committed everyone at the team is and I feel the same. I will be doing my very best to support Michael and Nico this year.”

http://goo.gl/fb/7OB5

V12
4th February 2010, 11:43
I didn't know Pedro de la Rosa was a pay driver. How much is his mother giving Peter?

Yeah I wondered about that, especially since his rumoured deal with Campos came to nought because Campos "needed pay drivers". I know he got his early Arrows drives with Repsol money (not to say he didn't deserve them on merit as well), but I've never seen any personal sponsors associated with him through his Jaguar and McLaren days.

Maybe it was just a case of Pedro offering his services cheaper than Heidfeld, Klien etc? Plus Sauber maybe reasoned that having a heavily experienced driver and tester on board would benefit the team more than two paying rookies, and help them get funds going forward if the team performs well.

jens
4th February 2010, 13:35
So, let's take a first look at the 2011 silly season. What do you reckon, which teams could be the best bet for Heidfeld to "do a Panis" and make a comeback in F1 as a race driver?

Nikki Katz
5th February 2010, 00:09
It's not his family, it's Sandander - not content with sponsoring 2 teams they decided to have a go at a 3rd so the grid could have another Spanish driver.

The complete lack of sponsorship on the car itself means that Sauber were always going to have to go with someone with a budget. I guess that de la Rosa's probably as good as any, I just feel it's a shame that a car that so far has looked really fast has got one of the weakest lineups of the old teams. Still, better than the team disappearing, I hope they're around for a while.

52Paddy
5th February 2010, 12:02
Nick Heidfeld is to be Mercedes GP's reserve driver
http://twitter.com/noblef1

http://www.mercedes-gp.com/newsread.asp?mgp=j%BA%A5%99lT%7F

Good news :up: He has completed the German line-up at Mercedes. I do wonder if nationality has helped Merc's decision in choosing Heidfeld, but nonetheless, it's good to have him in the sport, even as a reserve driver. And it means he could still land a race seat for 2011.