PDA

View Full Version : Wsbk Tests Portimao

Rod Richardson
23rd January 2010, 02:28
I hope you guys are watching the live timing on WorldSBK.com .........

First day's results available on the following link.........The Brits are giving everyone a lesson so far.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/latest-news/1387-brits-head-the-field-in-day-1-of-portimao-superbike-testing.html

NinjaMaster
23rd January 2010, 07:29
Yeah, I followed the first session. It's pretty interesting though only very early days. I would expect day 2 to tighten up a fair bit as some of the quicker guys down the field get dialled in better.

Rod Richardson
23rd January 2010, 08:45
Agreed...........I hope they can get those green things boogying.

Mach24
23rd January 2010, 22:35
Agreed...........I hope they can get those green things boogying.

Interesting that Tom Sykes has made it boogy on day 2, but CV has not yet!

The Phantom
24th January 2010, 21:46
CV bumped himself up to the top of the Kawasaki punters, thankfully. Can't see him on the podium in 2010 but as a development year leading into the 540-degree crank 2011 ZX-10R, it should come along nicely for him.

Some tough talent at the top these days. I fear that Nori has blown any chance he's got of ever taking a WSB crown :(

Rod Richardson
25th January 2010, 04:14
Yeah....still a bit to do in terms of development on the existing Kawasaki but who knows.....a tweek here and a new bit there and things could change..... Finger's crossed and pray for wet races.

You're spot on with the level of talent this year in SBK but as far as Nori Haga is concerned, I'll be a whimp and see what happens in the first few races.

I'm still peeved off about the Garry McCoy incident and that no Aussies are permanent fixtures in the supersport class. Any wildcard surprises at Phillip Island would be welcomed.

NinjaMaster
26th January 2010, 02:12
CV bumped himself up to the top of the Kawasaki punters, thankfully. Can't see him on the podium in 2010 but as a development year leading into the 540-degree crank 2011 ZX-10R, it should come along nicely for him.

Some tough talent at the top these days. I fear that Nori has blown any chance he's got of ever taking a WSB crown :(

I too fear that Nori has missed his chance(s). Despite Ben Spies leaving the series, I actually think that 2010 is going to be an even tougher year. Rea will be faster (and hopefully more mature), Max Neukirchner is fit and on a better bike, Crutchlow has taken to the R1 like a duck to water and Toseland returns as a 2-time champion, Fabrizio took great strids last year and should improve again this year and Biaggi should also be faster again on the further developed Aprilia. That's some serious talent on some quality machinery.

Yeah....still a bit to do in terms of development on the existing Kawasaki but who knows.....a tweek here and a new bit there and things could change..... Finger's crossed and pray for wet races.

You're spot on with the level of talent this year in SBK but as far as Nori Haga is concerned, I'll be a whimp and see what happens in the first few races.

I'm still peeved off about the Garry McCoy incident and that no Aussies are permanent fixtures in the supersport class. Any wildcard surprises at Phillip Island would be welcomed.

The Kawasaki uncompetitiveness I still find as odd. In stock guise it is very competitive against it's opposition but as a race bike it's not often anywhere near it. Hopefully this year with their strongest rider lineup in eons and with the biggest support they've had for a long time, improvement (regular top 10's, semi-regular top 5's and steal a podium or two) is on the cards before the (hopefully) world beating 2011 ZX10R.

I'm also cranky about the ousting of Mr Squiggle. After two years of development to the point where the Trumpy is now quite competitive, McCoy was set to finally reap the benefits only to be replaced by someone who I believe to be significantly inferior. Hope he can get another ride and rub BE1's noses in it.

Rod Richardson
29th January 2010, 21:03
Vermeulen explains how testing went on video:
http://www.chrisvermeulen.com/

suzukimad07
31st January 2010, 13:18
Rea 1st Haslam 2nd in Portimao Tests http://www.paddockgossip.com/templates/rt_versatility_iii/images/pdf_button.png (http://www.paddockgossip.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=994) http://www.paddockgossip.com/templates/rt_versatility_iii/images/printButton.png (http://www.paddockgossip.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=994&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=169) http://www.paddockgossip.com/templates/rt_versatility_iii/images/emailButton.png (http://www.paddockgossip.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=emailform&id=994&itemid=169) Written by Administrator http://www.paddockgossip.com/content/view/994/169/images/stories/haslemguintolliheads.jpgTeam Suzuki Alstare riders Leon Haslam and Sylvain Guintoli made a positive start to the 2010 season at the three-day official World Superbike Championship test in Portimao, Portugal in second and 10th places respectively aboard their Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000s.
Haslam led the first day and was second in day two's damp conditions before finishing just behind fellow countryman Jonathan Rea (Honda) today. His continuing good form was all the more impressive considering that he had arrived at the tests suffering with the Flu virus, but once he was on his Suzuki, he was able to overcome it and stay in the top-two all weekend.
Team mate Guintoli also performed well during the test and says he now is ready to race the bike.
Leon Haslam - 2nd, 147 laps, 1:42.557:
"On the first day of the test, the track was in good condition and my lap times came easy, so I was looking forward to more of the same. But Day Two started wet and although that put-paid to some of our plans, it did allow us to work on finding a good wet set-up and that's what we did. Today, the track felt a bit slippery - probably because of yesterday's rain - and then the wind picked up in the afternoon so I couldn't really make any big improvement on my lap times. Also, I got baulked on my hot lap and lost some time and, if it had not have been for that, I may have just sneaked ahead of Jonathan.
But the important thing is that I am happy and the team are happy. We got through a lot of things and achieved everything we set out to do.
"The good work started the first time I rode bike, back in October, and since then we've just kept on improving and now I feel we are ready to race. This track is an excellent track for testing because it has got a bit of everything and it is also very demanding. I think if you can get a good set-up here - which we have done - it will be a good base for all the other tracks on the calendar. I am really happy with the whole team and I think we've got a great all-round package to challenge for the title."
Sylvain Guintoli - 10th, 191 laps, 1:43.508:
"We started these tests with a lot of work to look forward to and I am happy because we have done a lot of good work and we are now already a stage where I feel I can race this bike. In dry conditions, we found the best setting for the bike that suits me and one that makes me happy and comfortable. The wet was good because, once again, we found a good set-up and I was again able to feel comfortable and ride the bike easily. Today the track was not in such good condition and it also was quite windy in the afternoon. I didn't feel it had as much grip as the first day, but in the end it didn't matter so much because we achieved what we wanted to do and ended with very good feelings. I am very happy with the bike and the team and now all I want to do is start racing!"

Overall results (3 day): 1 Rea (GBR-Honda) 1:42.270, 2 Leon Haslam (GBR-Suzuki Alstare) 1:42.557, 3 Byrne (GBR-Ducati) 1:42.877, 4 Crutchlow (GBR-Yamaha) 1:42.960, 5 Fabrizio (ITA-Ducati) 1:43.137, 6 Toseland (GBR-Yamaha) 1:43.157. 10 Sylvain Guintoli (FRA-Suzuki Alstare) 1:43.508

CaptainRaiden
8th February 2010, 07:42
I too fear that Nori has missed his chance(s). Despite Ben Spies leaving the series, I actually think that 2010 is going to be an even tougher year. Rea will be faster (and hopefully more mature), Max Neukirchner is fit and on a better bike, Crutchlow has taken to the R1 like a duck to water and Toseland returns as a 2-time champion, Fabrizio took great strids last year and should improve again this year and Biaggi should also be faster again on the further developed Aprilia. That's some serious talent on some quality machinery.

I think some of you are underrating Nori a bit here. Remember that if Ben Spies wasn't there last year, Haga would have won the championship by a country mile, a whole 76 points ahead of second best Fabrizio.

Now, I'm not saying Toseland and Crutchlow are not good riders, but let's be honest here, they're no Spies. Spies is a freak, hell, he finished 7th in the MotoGP round Valencia on the M1, a bike he had never ridden before, and beat Toseland who finished 11th. Apart from that fact, for both JT and Crutchlow, it's gonna be a new bike, new team etc. and the R1 has been rumored to be not so easy to drive (see Tom Sykes).

And unless BMW spring a Miracle, and the same for Aprilia -- or maybe Fabrizio steps his game up another notch, Neukirchner is blindingly fast out of the box in his new team, new bike, or Rea becomes more consistent on his Honda, I'm gonna bet my money on Nori finally doing it in 2010. On some tracks like Valencia and Magny Cours, he is just untouchable, at least by other "normal" riders and not freaks like Spies. :D

CaptainRaiden
8th February 2010, 07:50
I was just looking at this year's calendar, and if you take out Spies from all these races, Haga would have won them comfortably. These are traditionally his strongest tracks, and with that Ducati he should be very comfortable with no Spies pushing him this year. My prediction is Haga doing a double on these tracks:

Phillip Island
Valencia (Was unbeatable here in 2009)
Assen (On a Ducati, yes, maybe)
Monza (If the R1 or Fabrizio don't spoil the party)
Kyalami (Unbeatable again, did a double last year)
Nurburgring
Imola
Magny Cours

IMO going by his past records, he should win these rounds comfortably. But we'll never know how much development has gone on the other bikes during the winter. Fingers crossed for Haga-San in 2010.

leopard
8th February 2010, 09:21
Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing) failed to improve in the afternoon, but nevertheless ended the day in fourth, a whisker ahead of James Toseland

:D

14th February 2010, 08:14
I think that Nori Haga would probably have won the championship last year if not for the crash at Donington but that's racing. I've seen him on TV today during a 2010 WSBK preview saying "unfortunately the Ducati is the same as last year but a lot of team staff changes". I don't understand the technical side of bikes but I'm wondering why the Ducati has had no further development, is it still the same bike that Troy Bayliss rode.

Mach24
15th February 2010, 10:15
I think that Nori Haga would probably have won the championship last year if not for the crash at Donington but that's racing. I've seen him on TV today during a 2010 WSBK preview saying "unfortunately the Ducati is the same as last year but a lot of team staff changes". I don't understand the technical side of bikes but I'm wondering why the Ducati has had no further development, is it still the same bike that Troy Bayliss rode.

Whilst your comment about Haga winning the championship had he not fallen at Donny may well be correct, you must also factor in that Spies had mechanical misfortune more than once and atleast one fall, on each occasion gaining no points. There are no IFS in racing!

As for the Ducati, it has reached the end of its development potential. Whilst there may be some small improvements to be made, it is more about suspension than mechanical improvement. I believe the 1198 as raced by Haga is the same spec bike as the 1098 as raced by Troy.

The Phantom
16th February 2010, 22:20

Ducati has lost David Tardozzi from the WSB squad, that's likely to have quite an impact (they also lost Livio Suppo from the MotoGP team, wonder if that will affect Stoner's campaign?).

The improvements to the bike from here on in are going to be marginal, evolutionary steps. I'm sure it's still a very strong bike, Xecutioner is right in saying that no-one else was consistently challenging Haga/Spies last year and that the R1 is not quite as good as it seemed in Spies hands. The TenKate Hondas are definitely a threat to Ducati, however.

Less than two weeks till we find out!!!!

18th February 2010, 02:16
Ducati has lost David Tardozzi from the WSB squad, that's likely to have quite an impact (they also lost Livio Suppo from the MotoGP team, wonder if that will affect Stoner's campaign?).

The improvements to the bike from here on in are going to be marginal, evolutionary steps. I'm sure it's still a very strong bike, Xecutioner is right in saying that no-one else was consistently challenging Haga/Spies last year and that the R1 is not quite as good as it seemed in Spies hands. The TenKate Hondas are definitely a threat to Ducati, however.

Less than two weeks till we find out!!!!

Thanks for adding to my knowledge guys. I wasn't sure how to interpret Nori's use of the word "unfortunately". Yes, the Ten Kate Hondas in the hands of Rea and Neukirchner are going to be right up there.

Can't wait :D

NinjaMaster
25th February 2010, 11:30
I think some of you are underrating Nori a bit here. Remember that if Ben Spies wasn't there last year, Haga would have won the championship by a country mile, a whole 76 points ahead of second best Fabrizio.

Now, I'm not saying Toseland and Crutchlow are not good riders, but let's be honest here, they're no Spies. Spies is a freak, hell, he finished 7th in the MotoGP round Valencia on the M1, a bike he had never ridden before, and beat Toseland who finished 11th. Apart from that fact, for both JT and Crutchlow, it's gonna be a new bike, new team etc. and the R1 has been rumored to be not so easy to drive (see Tom Sykes).

And unless BMW spring a Miracle, and the same for Aprilia -- or maybe Fabrizio steps his game up another notch, Neukirchner is blindingly fast out of the box in his new team, new bike, or Rea becomes more consistent on his Honda, I'm gonna bet my money on Nori finally doing it in 2010. On some tracks like Valencia and Magny Cours, he is just untouchable, at least by other "normal" riders and not freaks like Spies. :D

No underrating of Nori here, he's a star and a definite title contender - the deserved favourite. But the competition this year is stiff, as tough as it's been in a long time. Toseland may not be Spies, but he is a 2-time champ and knows how to win the title. Crutchlow did the same as Spies did last year, brained the competition on a new bike at foreign tracks. There's nothing to say he can't do it this year. The likes of Rea and Fabrizio got better as last year went on and I'd expect that improvement to continue this year. Aprilia doesn't need a miracle this year, just continued development. They won a race last year and Max finished 4th. They should be competitive. Suzuki will likely blow a bit hot and cold and Kawasaki and BMW will be grid fillers.

What happened last year is history, this is a new season, a clean slate. I'm expecting a battle between Haga, Fabrizio, Toseland and Rea. My money would be on Toseland given he'll be hungry for a return to success, he knows how to win the title and the Yamaha should be even better in 2010. Whatever happens, it will be a battle royale!

Wim_Impreza
25th February 2010, 14:58
My prediction: Toseland won't be in the top 5 overall standings at the end of the season. ;)

For the title, my prediction is that it will be a fight between Haga and Rea. I hope Haga can finally win it because I support him, Haslam and Smrž.