PDA

View Full Version : Rossi's Test at Catalunya.

Triumph
22nd January 2010, 01:45
I was just reading about Valentino Rossi's Ferrari F1 test at Catalunya and he just missed Räikkönen's lap record by a fraction, which I thought was pretty outstanding:

http://formulaone.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/rossi-completes-ferrari-test-on-high-just-misses-lap-record/

I wish he would move over to F1! I would love to see how well he would do!

Maybe he'll consider it when he has reached 10 world championships on bikes, which I think he must have in mind. That would be something to look forward to.

:-)

52Paddy
23rd January 2010, 19:27
According to this article, Rossi considers himself to old to make a permanent move to F1. Check out the last paragraph:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8472249.stm

Triumph
23rd January 2010, 19:30
That's a shame. I would have thought at his age he would have ten years left in him for F1, considering the upper age range for F1 drivers.

52Paddy
24th January 2010, 03:25
Well, I don't think he's too old for F1. But it has been a while since we've had a rookie in F1 at 30 years of age. The last decent one was probably Damon Hill.

In recent years, drivers we've had starting their careers at 30 or older are:

Allan McNish: Scored no points with Toyota in their debut season.

Christiano de Matta: Did reasonable in 2003 but miserably in 2004.

Yuji Ide: Need say no more!

Of course, Rossi's resumé is quite impressive. Not to suggest that McNish's sportscar history and de Matta's USA open-wheel history wasn't impressive. But a 9-time Moto GP champion is a force to be reckoned with.

Sonic
24th January 2010, 13:22
Just to fan the flames;

Yamaha MotoGP team boss Davide Brivio has suggested that Valentino Rossi's strong performance in his Ferrari test this week could reawaken his nterest in switching to Formula 1....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81037

Trying to campare Rossi's times with the others is difficult as he ran on GP2 tyres but I certainly don't think he'd make a fool of himself if he did switch.

Problem is, where would he go? Ferarri is the obvious fit, but Alonso has only just arrived and Massa is Ferrari to the core. IMO he missed his chance but who knows what the future holds?

52Paddy
24th January 2010, 14:25
Well if third cars are allowed in the coming seasons, I do expect Rossi to end up in a Ferrari. If not, then I'm not sure what his chances are. I doubt he'll be in a Ferrari if only two are on the track and I haven't heard of any other teams openly expressing interest in him. Have any other than Ferrari?

Robinho
25th January 2010, 19:49
Massa drove the same circuit/ca combination the next day and reportedly went 3 seconds quicker according to James Allen

Sonic
25th January 2010, 21:54
I was wondering about Massa's times. 3 seconds would put him, what, 2 seconds faster than the outright lap record and on GP2 tyres that seems.......unlikely. someone is being economical with the truth.

Dzeidzei
26th January 2010, 08:40
I was wondering about Massa's times. 3 seconds would put him, what, 2 seconds faster than the outright lap record and on GP2 tyres that seems.......unlikely. someone is being economical with the truth.

Not necessarily. 2008 spec had a lot more downforce and if you add the slicks the times are simply incomparable (with last years specs). Rossi being 3 secs off Massa is still quite impressive, but it doesnt make Rossi that phenomenal.

His move to F1 will not happen. He can drive but he´s not good enough.

THE_LIBERATOR
26th January 2010, 22:50
Given that James Allen states that Rossi was on 2009 tyres when he was on GP2 tyres, & that we know Rossi was on low fuel. I wouldn't put any stock into anything he says. & I haven't seen Massa's laptimes published anywhere else. & It's James Allen...

1:18's seem a little far-fetched as it is, they were setting 1.20's on low fuel during '08 qualifying.

Saint Devote
27th January 2010, 04:02
Not necessarily. 2008 spec had a lot more downforce and if you add the slicks the times are simply incomparable (with last years specs). Rossi being 3 secs off Massa is still quite impressive, but it doesnt make Rossi that phenomenal.

His move to F1 will not happen. He can drive but he´s not good enough.

Shades of ANOTHER Sebastian - the rally fellow!!!

Massa is a very quick driver and I hope he is right on his game - I reckon just as he is going to have to deal with the ruthless Alonso - the man from Oviedo is in for a shock.

In addition, Felipe is a really nice guy and I am sure there are many like myself that hope he "does a Hamilton" on the Spaniard :D