PDA

View Full Version : Doohan Vs Rossi

Mach24
21st January 2010, 02:39
Below is an snippet of an article about Mick Doohan.

Who would have won in his prime Doohan or Rossi if they raced head to head:

# Mick Doohan has revealed he was offered the opportunity to ‘do a Schumacher’ and make a comeback to top-line motorcycle racing – three years after he retired for the sport in 1999.

The five-time World Motorcycle champ told the Gold Coast Bulletin today that a behind-the-scenes deal made him consider a return to riding for Honda, who he was still contracted to at the time.

The deal was set to be brokered by a major tobacco company and would have seen him racing in MotoGP in 2002 to fill one of the vacant factory rides.

Doohan said that if he returned, it would have been under similar circumstances to Michael Schumacher’s anticipated comeback to Formula 1 this year.

“It (the comeback) was something that I was considering after about the same amount of time out of the seat that Michael has had (three years),” Doohan told The Bulletin’s ‘Murray’s Corner’ column.

Roby44
21st January 2010, 11:08
Probably too scared of the new kid on the Honda that year..Rossi!! :D

Ranger
21st January 2010, 12:07
Probably too scared of the new kid on the Honda that year..Rossi!! :D

By default... both would be nothing without Jezza B. ;)

NinjaMaster
22nd January 2010, 11:53
Who would win? Both would win plenty. Glad Doohan didn't do it. He had nothing to gain from it.

Roby44
23rd January 2010, 10:02
Who would win? Both would win plenty. Glad Doohan didn't do it. He had nothing to gain from it.

But lots to lose.... :eek:

F1boat
23rd January 2010, 10:55
Both are amazing riders, but if I have to choose I'd say Doohan because he is a choldhood hero and besides I prefer his quiet character to Rossi, who is unpleasant to me. But I am biased.

jonny hurlock
23rd January 2010, 22:48
rossi any day of the week full stop

Roby44
24th January 2010, 10:59
rossi any day of the week full stop

I'm with you on that!!

NinjaMaster
24th January 2010, 12:10
Like all the great champions, I'm happy to leave them all as the greatest of their era. I can't see any way of really splitting them otherwise. Rossi obviously has statistics on his side but I can think of a number of good arguments in Doohan's favour. At their peak, both riders are amazing. Why need anymore than that?

playmo
30th January 2010, 16:22
Glad that Doohan never returned! he would have been ridiculized by Rossi AT THAT TIME, but both at their peak? In a 500 of course Doohan, in Mgp, i think it would be rossi, but not by much, in a 500 no one like Doohan BUT have you ever wonder what would have happened if Rainey have not that crash on Misano? Those following at least 2 years of 500cc class would have been the really GOLDEN era... damn!

TheFamousEccles
31st January 2010, 00:43
Doohan would have made Rossi his bunny. In terms of out-psyching his opponents, Doohan was the master and would have made Rossi look silly (in much the same way as Vale did to Gibbo).