PDA

View Full Version : Biggest weapon you've used

Eki
20th January 2010, 08:51
Let's have a thread to glorify firearms for a change.

This is the biggest weapon I've fired:

RrVTOBplir8

Mark
20th January 2010, 08:54
I wouldn't want to blow my own trumpet there... Thats a question for the ladies.. :p

I knew it wouldn't take long! I'm surprised Brockman hasn't posted already ;)

Eki
20th January 2010, 08:57
I knew it wouldn't take long! I'm surprised Brockman hasn't posted already ;)
Is Brockman getting old?

DexDexter
20th January 2010, 09:08
The biggest I've fired is a disposable rocket launcher or Bazooka and then a light machine gun.

MrJan
20th January 2010, 09:27
A .22 air rifle :D

Or if you are to believe road safety people a 3.5t Ford pickup

Hondo
20th January 2010, 09:57
Now I know how I got that big hole in my back yard.

81mm mortar is the best I can do, so I guess your's is bigger than mine.

Are you one of the guys dressed like a shrubbery standing next to it?

DexDexter
20th January 2010, 10:11
I've often dreamed of doing exactly that to one or two on here, but then I wake up.. :p

Did you hit your target btw? :)

No, I didn't, it was an army practice camp btw.

Talking about the army, an interesting thing is that Keke Rosberg had officer training in the army so his rank is/was 2nd Lieutenant or Lieutenant in the Finnish army. Is he the highest ranking WDC (and the only one with military training) in the history of F1?

Camelopard
20th January 2010, 10:16
I'm a light weight, only an AK47, a 12 gauge shotgun and a 22.

Eki
20th January 2010, 10:57
Now I know how I got that big hole in my back yard.

81mm mortar is the best I can do, so I guess your's is bigger than mine.

Are you one of the guys dressed like a shrubbery standing next to it?
No. That video is done after my time. I looked like a bit different shrubbery back then. Actually, I think the camouflage pattern was the same, but we didn't have body armor.

Daniel
20th January 2010, 12:34
.303 rifle

Magnus
20th January 2010, 13:05
A quite big flyswatter.

gadjo_dilo
20th January 2010, 13:16
Sweet memories of my teenage years....
Don't know what it was but it was as rudimentary and looked as old as if it was a relic of the first WW.

Hazell B
20th January 2010, 17:13
..... I guess your's is bigger than mine.

Mine isn't :p :

Twelve bore for me, unless I can count my Range Rover hitting a pothole?
I've never shot at animals, but have used handguns for target shooting as a kid and shotguns at pictures of animals. Also tried a longbow at potatoes (balanced on top of pictures of bears!) and enjoyed that the most by miles.

Daniel
20th January 2010, 17:51

I've never shot at animals, but have used handguns for target shooting as a kid and shotguns at pictures of animals. Also tried a longbow at potatoes (balanced on top of pictures of bears!) and enjoyed that the most by miles.
Sounds like fun. I've shot at animals (for food) before and tbh I just like shooting at things because of the skill involved. Loved archery when I did it in highschool :)

Hondo
20th January 2010, 17:56

I don't think your 12 bore is bigger than Eki's artillery piece.

The meanest shoulder arm I've ever fired was by one of your own. An African Express rifle in .416 Rigby, made by John Rigby & Co.

Its as close as I'll ever get to royalty. A fine rifle to admire, but not to shoot.

Langdale Forest
20th January 2010, 17:56
Sniping people with a water gun!

Tomi
20th January 2010, 17:59
120mm Bofors

Eki
20th January 2010, 18:09
120mm Bofors

Is it a Navy gun?

Tomi
20th January 2010, 18:19
Is it a Navy gun?

yep, you are right :)

Eki
20th January 2010, 18:19
I also fired one of these 130 mm cannons, which are bigger than the 122 mm howizer, but that was just blanks, so I guess it doesn't count.

IBqRsY3ipzk

Hondo
20th January 2010, 18:23
Do you have some sort of sleeve for the tubular stock on the Valmet to keep your face from freezing to it in the cold?

Hondo
20th January 2010, 18:29
Artillery isn't safe anymore. Nowadays modern armies have radars that backtrack the trajectory of incoming shells and you've got counter-battery fire coming back at you and an airstrike on the way before you've fired your fourth round. Bummer.

Eki
20th January 2010, 18:33
Do you have some sort of sleeve for the tubular stock on the Valmet to keep your face from freezing to it in the cold?

We had this Rk62 model:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/valmet_62.jpg

I think it had soft rubber around the stock, but I've never thought of its purpose. I think they now have this Rk95 model:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/valmet_76_223.jpg

Eki
20th January 2010, 18:40
Artillery isn't safe anymore. Nowadays modern armies have radars that backtrack the trajectory of incoming shells and you've got counter-battery fire coming back at you and an airstrike on the way before you've fired your fourth round. Bummer.

That's true.

schmenke
20th January 2010, 19:02
I also fired one of these 130 mm cannons, which are bigger than the 122 mm howizer, but that was just blanks, so I guess it doesn't count...

Sometimes I wish I was shooting blanks about 5 years ago... :erm:

Seriously, it's been a while, but only a 20 gauge shotgun and a .22 pump action rifle when I was a kid... I know, I'm a featherweight :s

Jag_Warrior
20th January 2010, 19:19
As far as bore diameter, a 10 gauge shotgun. As far as range, probably a 300 Weatherby Magnum rifle.

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 20:18
A bolt action .22. Not sure on the make. However, when I take my gun handling course and all the legal crap I need to do to own guns, I will be in the posession of my dad's and my grandfather's weapons, which will get me up to a few Browning shotguns, and the pride, a Bolt action Mauser .303 rifle (ex German Army issue) with a stock hand made by my father with a Bushnell scope. I doubt I will ever hunt, but I will take it out at some point and do some target shooting with it just to try it out.

Eki
20th January 2010, 20:24
Sometimes I wish I was shooting blanks about 5 years ago... :erm:

Do you mean Chloe, or what's her face? Is that five years already?

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 20:24

yeesh...Schmenke, you just got hit below the belt....

306 Cosworth
20th January 2010, 22:48
A spud gun is the biggest thing i've ever fired :(

schmenke
20th January 2010, 23:03

Yes, Cholë is 5 and Téa is going on 3.

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2010, 00:03
Schmenke, it seems like yesterday Tea was born...

MrJan
21st January 2010, 08:41
mmmmm tea

Hondo
21st January 2010, 09:05
We had this Rk62 model:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/valmet_62.jpg

I think it had soft rubber around the stock, but I've never thought of its purpose. I think they now have this Rk95 model:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/valmet_76_223.jpg

It was kind of you to donate the receiver group design to Israel for their in-house built Galil rifle.

Eki
21st January 2010, 09:18
It was kind of you to donate the receiver group design to Israel for their in-house built Galil rifle.

This one?

http://users.rcn.com/philistine/galil/galil_sar.jpg

Well, they didn't ask me before they did.

Hondo
21st January 2010, 10:53
Thats the one. I know they bought some weapons from Valmet but I don't know if they paid Valmet a license fee or changed it enough to avoid it. There isn't much in there to change.

After Isreal developed it as the Galil, they licensed South Africa to build it as the R4.

If it makes you feel better, it's not in frontline service in Isreal anymore having been deemed too big, bulky, and heavy for the urban combat they find themselves in nowadays.

Eki
21st January 2010, 11:02
If it makes you feel better, it's not in frontline service in Isreal anymore having been deemed too big, bulky, and heavy for the urban combat they find themselves in nowadays.
They seem to have made a smaller version of it, called Galil Micro:

http://users.rcn.com/philistine/galil/Galil_MAR_UZI.jpg

Hondo
21st January 2010, 11:32
lol, even the Uzi you have there was "borrowed" from a Czech design. I tell you, China and Japan have nothing on Isreal when it comes to copying stuff.
Even microized ( I may just have invented a new word there), the Galil isn't at it's best in urban, house to house, room to room combat. The receiver dust cover is not very stout and the weapon is a poor platform for lights, lasers, holographs, red dot sights and all the other gotta-haves the modern warrior is in love with. And as you can see in your picture, the weapon is almost impossible to fire with the stock folded.

Eki
21st January 2010, 12:55
And as you can see in your picture, the weapon is almost impossible to fire with the stock folded.
Left-handed people could fire it.

janneppi
21st January 2010, 16:38
It seems many of the new type of assault rifles seem to have the firing mechanism in the stock, that way you get a sorter weapon with a proper length barrel.

Also there seems to be a trend towards bigger caliber than the NATO 5.56, in urban warfare, you propably need more penetrating power. It's not like you can just change from using Martyrdom to Stopping power. :D

As to the original question, I got a few rounds with 73mm tank cannon in a BMP-1.

Malbec
23rd January 2010, 16:10
lol, even the Uzi you have there was "borrowed" from a Czech design. I tell you, China and Japan have nothing on Isreal when it comes to copying stuff.
Even microized ( I may just have invented a new word there), the Galil isn't at it's best in urban, house to house, room to room combat. The receiver dust cover is not very stout and the weapon is a poor platform for lights, lasers, holographs, red dot sights and all the other gotta-haves the modern warrior is in love with. And as you can see in your picture, the weapon is almost impossible to fire with the stock folded.

Am I missing something? Surely both the Galil and the Finnish rifle are both derived from the AK47?

As for the Israelis, got to love them. They've made a fantastic profit ripping American F-15s and F-16s apart, copying the electronics and making it their own and flogging the tech to places like China and India.

Its amazing how much the new Chinese fighter jet resembles the Lavi which is itself an 'improved' F-16.... With friends like these, who needs enemies.

Hondo
23rd January 2010, 18:22
Like I said, almost any modern weapon system is a copy of something, merely modified. Jan, bullpup rifles are all the rage right now (again) although SIG is pushing a conventional rifle.

Dylan, the Lavi has been around for a long time now but I've heard the Israelis still use F-16s because they can buy them cheaper than what it costs them to build the Lavi.

Malbec
24th January 2010, 12:38
Dylan, the Lavi has been around for a long time now but I've heard the Israelis still use F-16s because they can buy them cheaper than what it costs them to build the Lavi.

The Lavi itself was scrapped a while ago, but many of the research costs were recouped by selling the technology to the Chinese. Funny to think how the next time American spyplanes collide with a Chinese fighter it won't be a MiG but a General Dynamics derived plane.

Bullpup rifles are preferred because they take up less space, pretty important if your infantry spend half their time clambering in and out of IFVs. Having handled one myself (albeit not the best one) the packaging is one of its few advantages. Muzzle climb is pretty bad if the rifle isn't dug heavily into your shoulder because of the location of the centre of gravity behind both grips.

Hondo
24th January 2010, 12:54
The Lavi itself was scrapped a while ago, but many of the research costs were recouped by selling the technology to the Chinese. Funny to think how the next time American spyplanes collide with a Chinese fighter it won't be a MiG but a General Dynamics derived plane.

Bullpup rifles are preferred because they take up less space, pretty important if your infantry spend half their time clambering in and out of IFVs. Having handled one myself (albeit not the best one) the packaging is one of its few advantages. Muzzle climb is pretty bad if the rifle isn't dug heavily into your shoulder because of the location of the centre of gravity behind both grips.

Didn't Israel get in a bind with GE over copying their jet engines?

Malbec
24th January 2010, 13:12
Didn't Israel get in a bind with GE over copying their jet engines?

Don't know about that but I do know that there was an American investigation into Israeli tech sales related to the Lavi to China.