PDA

View Full Version : Finn baiting

Eki
19th January 2010, 12:07
MOS, fousto, anthonyvop et al will probably love this blog:

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/labels/Finn%20baiting.php

SportscarBruce
19th January 2010, 12:20
I've always held the Finns in high regard. Not only did they soundly defeat the Soviets in the Russian-Finnish war of 1939-1940, they did it with Russia's principle firearm, the Mosin-Nagant :)

Hondo
19th January 2010, 14:07
That's odd. I thought tying a string to a stick, propping a box up on the stck, putting a cookie under the box and hiding in the bushes ready to pull the string when the Finn went for the cookie was Finn baiting.

Eki
19th January 2010, 14:12
That's odd. I thought tying a string to a stick, propping a box up on the stck, putting a cookie under the box and hiding in the bushes ready to pull the string when the Finn went for the cookie was Finn baiting.
That may work. Especially for kids, but if you want to catch bigger Finns, try a bottle of Koskenkorva instead of the cookie.

Eki
19th January 2010, 14:19
This was a good one:

qhxZoV3t61c

They might as well show some old folks square dancing in the US and make it look like it's a national pastime for every American. Plus I think many American country and blues songs have very melancholic and sad lyrics too.

Hondo
19th January 2010, 14:41
Great video. Does that mean that half the country is still trying to get laid?

Eki
19th January 2010, 14:55
Great video. Does that mean that half the country is still trying to get laid?
Yes, and the other half is trying to run away.

DexDexter
19th January 2010, 15:53
This was a good one:

qhxZoV3t61c

They might as well show some old folks square dancing in the US and make it look like it's a national pastime for every American. Plus I think many American country and blues songs have very melancholic and sad lyrics too.

That video is hilarious.

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2010, 16:01
I always kind of known you Finn's had some loopy ideas...but after watching this...lol, well I can say it explains a lot...

Daniel
20th January 2010, 20:30
This was a good one:

qhxZoV3t61c

:rotflmao: What a ****ing stupid view of Finland, I've spent less than 3 weeks in total in Finland and I can honestly say it's nothing like that at all.

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 20:32
:rotflmao: What a ****ing stupid view of Finland, I've spent less than 3 weeks in total in Finland and I can honestly say it's nothing like that at all.

WE know that cant be true, but I saw a lot of stoic faces and awkward embraces....or maybe Morley did this story for an April Fool's show of 60 minutes. I remember the BBC doing one on Spaghetti tree's once in Italy.....

Daniel
20th January 2010, 20:37
WE know that cant be true, but I saw a lot of stoic faces and awkward embraces....or maybe Morley did this story for an April Fool's show of 60 minutes. I remember the BBC doing one on Spaghetti tree's once in Italy.....
Believe me I can show you a couple of photos of some of the forum Finns being rather the opposite of stoic and awkward :D

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 20:43
Believe me I can show you a couple of photos of some of the forum Finns being rather the opposite of stoic and awkward :D

With a little vodka, isn't everyone having a good time???

I have one Finnish friend in person (as opposed to on here) who has lived in Canada 30 years and she is a pretty warm and decent person BUT she still is very reserved in many ways, and I know she isn't exactly the first one at a party with a lampshade on her head....

Eki
20th January 2010, 20:45
Or maybe those Finns interviewed were pulling his leg. There's probably some truth in that stereotype, but it's not really that bad.

Daniel
20th January 2010, 20:47
With a little vodka, isn't everyone having a good time???

I have one Finnish friend in person (as opposed to on here) who has lived in Canada 30 years and she is a pretty warm and decent person BUT she still is very reserved in many ways, and I know she isn't exactly the first one at a party with a lampshade on her head....
Believe me there was no Vodka involved :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/DSC_0217.jpg

Any guesses as to who these two cheery customers are? :p (P.S the smiley faces are for my protection, not theirs :p )

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 20:50
Let me see....Tomi and Eki?? lol

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 20:52
Or maybe those Finns interviewed were pulling his leg. There's probably some truth in that stereotype, but it's not really that bad.

I think this stereotype is more overarching to most of the Scandinavian nations. The Danes and Swedes, along with the Norwegians don't strike me as people who spend a lot of time being silly....the Swedes are purported to be the most likely to be depressed and heaviest drinkers in Europe, so it isn't just you Finns.

When one thinks of the world's great comedic talents...outside of Victor Borge is there any from Scandinavia? Or even Germany for that matter?

Daniel
20th January 2010, 20:56
Let me see....Tomi and Eki?? lol
You don't know the FRM (Finnish Rally Mafia) obviously :p I aint sayin' nothin'! :mark:

Eki
20th January 2010, 21:04
When one thinks of the world's great comedic talents...outside of Victor Borge is there any from Scandinavia? Or even Germany for that matter?
Bonita Pietila is making the Simpsons. She has Finnish heritage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonita_Pietila

Bonita "Bonnie" Pietila is a Finnish American casting director and producer for The Simpsons. Pietila has won three Emmys with The Simpsons in 1998, 2000 and 2001. She has been with the series since its beginnings on The Tracey Ullman Show.

Then there's Pamela Anderson, although it's disputable if she's a comedienne or just a feather brain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_Anderson

Anderson was born in Ladysmith, British Columbia, the daughter of Carol, a waitress, and Barry Anderson, a furnace repairman.[3] Her great-grandfather, Juho Hyytiäinen, was Finnish, a native of Saarijärvi, and left Finland in 1908,[4] changing his name to Anderson when he arrived as an immigrant. Pamela Anderson is Russian on her mother's side.[5]

edv
20th January 2010, 21:20
Pamela Anderson is part animal, part mineral and part vegetable. LOL

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 21:30
Eki, she isn't as Finnish as your pinkie, and she isn't funny.....but don't tell her that. That said...she is fun to look at...which is a trait I have noticed in Finnish women.....

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 21:31
You don't know the FRM (Finnish Rally Mafia) obviously :p I aint sayin' nothin'! :mark:

PM it to me if you must....I am not with the "in" crowd of Rally people I guess...

Eki
20th January 2010, 21:36
When one thinks of the world's great comedic talents...outside of Victor Borge is there any from Scandinavia?
Then there's Björn Borg, but he's a Swede of course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rn_Borg

He later bounced back as the owner of the Björn Borg fashion label, whose most noted advertising campaigns asked Swedes (from the pages of a leading national newspaper) to "F**k for the Future." His label has since become second only to Calvin Klein in his home country.

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 21:37
EKi...Bjorn Borg is a great tennis player, but again, NOT funny.

Daniel
20th January 2010, 21:37
PM it to me if you must....I am not with the "in" crowd of Rally people I guess...
Nah :) I just don't feel right posting pictures of people on the forum without their permission. If the two people in question were OK with it I would do it :)

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 21:56
Nah :) I just don't feel right posting pictures of people on the forum without their permission. If the two people in question were OK with it I would do it :)

You could tell me they were whomever...I would never know...lol

THey can PM me then...lol...

Eki
20th January 2010, 22:07
EKi...Bjorn Borg is a great tennis player, but again, NOT funny.
Not funny? You wouldn't know funny even if it hit you in the face:

bvpWZCXtvxA

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 22:10
EKi...you Finn's are funny...sorta...kinda.....well...you are funnier than the Germans anyhow....

Tomi
20th January 2010, 22:59
EKi...you Finn's are funny...sorta...kinda.....well...you are funnier than the Germans anyhow....

Well, cant think of so many funny Canadians either, if you dont count Phil Espositos skating, that was comedy as best.

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 23:02
Well, cant think of so many funny Canadians either, if you dont count Phil Espositos skating.

lol...Phil Hartman, John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Dan Ackroyd, Russell Peters, Martin Short, Howie Mandel, Jim Carrey, Catherine O' Hara, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas......oh I could go on.

Our problem Tomi is no one takes us SERIOUSLY!!!! WE got funny people.....

Oh ya..I agree, Esposito was a terrible skater, but he outscored a lot of people anyhow..lol...

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2010, 23:07
Here you go....a flash back to the past....

John Candy and Joe Flaherty in the SCTV days on the early David Letterman show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW-0Rd4fHd0

Mind you...Flaherty admits he is from Pittsburgh originally....so we can sorta put him down has half Canadian since he hasn't left and has citizenship now.

AS for how old this is....man..Candy is having a smoke on camera, and you NEVER see that on live TV now.

anthonyvop
21st January 2010, 03:42
This was a good one:

qhxZoV3t61c

Favorite line.

"the men....they should not smell of vomit." F*cking Hilarious.

janvanvurpa
21st January 2010, 16:02
I think this stereotype is more overarching to most of the Scandinavian nations. The Danes and Swedes, along with the Norwegians don't strike me as people who spend a lot of time being silly....the Swedes are purported to be the most likely to be depressed and heaviest drinkers in Europe, so it isn't just you Finns.

Mark, not to enter into any lengthy moralistic debate or one of your endless things but none of the Nordic countries drink particularly much RELATIVE to numerous Continental. Measured either in terms of pure alcohol or measure by how many liters of beer, wine , and spirits they are all, and for sure the Swedes lightweight weenies.

The annual Swedish per capita beer consumption is a limp figure fairly close to what France drinks, but the French also drink gallons of wine, GALLONS.
German, Czech and above all Belgian beer consumption is easily 10 times higher per capita---the exact figure I knew being dated---but I worked for years in Sweden, drank for years in Germany on my way to work in France.

Bear in mind any figures you might dig up to argue with this since you feel a compulsion to always argue when anybody with on ground (face down on the gound in a pool of vomit in some cases) experience that in all the Nordic states you can bump the lame drinking figures up by approx 10-11% since there are about that many people who have unfortunately been misinformed and are Total Abstainers (Hel nykterists). I was one until about 25 when I began work racing moto-cross in France and was shown the errors in my ways, and worked hard to make up for my sins.

There is a huge tendancy in the Nordic countries to BINGE DRINK, however.
So when they drink they very often drink too much.

As for you personally not knowing of or being aware of "Great Comedic" talents, shouldn't you say "who work in English"?
You do know that they all speak their own languages which, except Finnish, are slight variations on each other (and only a half step away from English) and most comedians tend to work in languages that their intended audience can understand, and work in cultural milieus that "resonate" with their audiences.

Do you speak at the native level one or more of the Nordic languages? Understand the cultural references of oh, lets say mid 70s Lasse Åberg in his poking fun at Bureaucrat-bound Sweden (and if they're drinking it's almost certainly because they have bound their society up in a rigid and impenetrable bureaucracy filled with brain damaged idiots--not normal idiots, brain damaged ones!) in his "Trazan Aponsson" stuff. Look it up......

What I'm gently suggesting is you said it right in your sentence :I am not aware of..........."

Ah good ol Trazan Aponsson. piss myself laughing when I saw that.

Eki
21st January 2010, 16:13
I remember him. It was a Christmas holiday show on Swedish TV. Trazan Apansson had an ape friend called Banarne (or Ban-Arne).

janvanvurpa
21st January 2010, 16:52
I remember him. It was a Christmas holiday show on Swedish TV. Trazan Apansson had an ape friend called Banarne (or Ban-Arne).

See just the name evokes memories and a huge amount of cultural references and experience while not unique, particularly Nordic experience. Even morteso for any person who was immigrant in those years and encountering "the Swedish way" which somebody in a respected journal called the country "a lunatic asylum with no walls".

For those not familiar with story, it was in essence the story of Tarzan of the Apes set in modern Sweden----he's found in the jungle and returns and is dropped intop the regimented society where the first thing is "they" can't spell his name right, some dumbfawk buråkrat spells it ''Trazon'' and and decides 'of the apes'' should be ''Aponsson'' (the ape's son). He's is compelled to attend school since he has no diploma for anything and of course he's freezing is ass off with just his leopardskin, so he gets long underwear etc and mayhem follows when he tries to correct people calling him Trazan instead of Tarzan and the idiots explaining 'no, see right here in the book, it says your name is TRAZAN.......', mayhem follow.

Hey maybe some of you finn djävlar, if you're not too drunk and have a moment between knife fight, could clarify for the others what the word ''lågmalt'' translates to because a fair good portion of the humoorit is this sort.
Maybe we can say 'slow burn' type.

I'm looking for something I saw on ralli.net which i have posted in US site which was hilarious and brilliant ''English Course for Drivers'' written in what might be called Tomi Mäkinen English that is to say a wee bit ''prokken''

Anybody seen it?

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2010, 17:00
Mark, not to enter into any lengthy moralistic debate or one of your endless things but none of the Nordic countries drink particularly much RELATIVE to numerous Continental. Measured either in terms of pure alcohol or measure by how many liters of beer, wine , and spirits they are all, and for sure the Swedes lightweight weenies.

The annual Swedish per capita beer consumption is a limp figure fairly close to what France drinks, but the French also drink gallons of wine, GALLONS.
German, Czech and above all Belgian beer consumption is easily 10 times higher per capita---the exact figure I knew being dated---but I worked for years in Sweden, drank for years in Germany on my way to work in France.

Bear in mind any figures you might dig up to argue with this since you feel a compulsion to always argue when anybody with on ground (face down on the gound in a pool of vomit in some cases) experience that in all the Nordic states you can bump the lame drinking figures up by approx 10-11% since there are about that many people who have unfortunately been misinformed and are Total Abstainers (Hel nykterists). I was one until about 25 when I began work racing moto-cross in France and was shown the errors in my ways, and worked hard to make up for my sins.

There is a huge tendancy in the Nordic countries to BINGE DRINK, however.
So when they drink they very often drink too much.

As for you personally not knowing of or being aware of "Great Comedic" talents, shouldn't you say "who work in English"?
You do know that they all speak their own languages which, except Finnish, are slight variations on each other (and only a half step away from English) and most comedians tend to work in languages that their intended audience can understand, and work in cultural milieus that "resonate" with their audiences.

Do you speak at the native level one or more of the Nordic languages? Understand the cultural references of oh, lets say mid 70s Lasse Åberg in his poking fun at Bureaucrat-bound Sweden (and if they're drinking it's almost certainly because they have bound their society up in a rigid and impenetrable bureaucracy filled with brain damaged idiots--not normal idiots, brain damaged ones!) in his "Trazan Aponsson" stuff. Look it up......

What I'm gently suggesting is you said it right in your sentence :I am not aware of..........."

So because they binge drink rather than drink wine all day that makes it healthy? Hey...whatever.

As for funny international stars from Scandinavia, I realize the language barrier just could be the issue, so I don't mind Eki or whomever posting You Tube clips. I am just saying, the rather stern and stoic image of that part of the world is not just my opinion, it is the opinion of many. Of course, you will then post and tell us how wrong we all are, because that is your way, and that is fine. It is after all, just an opinion. There is no wrong or right....

DexDexter
21st January 2010, 17:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw

Talking about languages, this is still just so funny.

Easy Drifter
25th January 2010, 02:40
When we ran a bait and fishing tackle store we found pickled Herring guts worked really well to catch Finns. ;)

Eki
28th January 2010, 21:53
This was a good one:

qhxZoV3t61c

I'm watching a rerun of Frasier. Niles just said "This country was built by gun toting square dancers". Proves my point.