PDA

View Full Version : Thank you MLK.

gloomyDAY
17th January 2010, 15:26
I'm going snowboarding tomorrow! :D

Seriously, thanks to MLK I can walk down the street with my white girlfriend and not be lynched by an unruly mob. Thanks to MLK I have the mentality that perseverance and hard work always pays off. Yes, this is a bit cliche, but if I didn't believe it, then there wouldn't be a poster of him on my wall.

In remembrance of MLK and his birthday (January 15).

R.I.P.

chuck34
17th January 2010, 20:56
I second that. Thank you doesn't even begin to express my gratitude.

Jag_Warrior
18th January 2010, 01:40
I third that.

Quite an amazing man, who met violent opposition to his just beliefs with peaceful protests. Most people don't have the discipline and self-control not to meet violence with violence.

But at the same time, much has to be said for our nation and the media. Once the American people were shown the bald face of racism, intolerance and violence, our nation didn't/couldn't turn away. Most accepted the shame of what had been allowed to happen for centuries. And with some pushing and prodding, we moved forward. King and others were HUGE factors in that. But it also says a lot about the citizens of the United State of America that we do have the ability to do the right thing... eventually.

Tomi
18th January 2010, 07:37
I'm going snowboarding tomorrow! :D

Seriously, thanks to MLK I can walk down the street with my white girlfriend and not be lynched by an unruly mob. Thanks to MLK I have the mentality that perseverance and hard work always pays off. Yes, this is a bit cliche, but if I didn't believe it, then there wouldn't be a poster of him on my wall.

In remembrance of MLK and his birthday (January 15).

R.I.P.

maybe a cliche but for people who has always lived in a free country, its good to get a reminder that everyone has not.

Sonic
18th January 2010, 11:08
maybe a cliche but for people who has always lived in a free country, its good to get a reminder that everyone has not.

Indeed. He waged peace with a ferocity of those who waged war.

gloomyDAY
18th January 2010, 21:31
I went snowboarding today and MLK's last speech was being broadcasts on the radio. This was the day before his assassination on April 3, 1968 and his speech was incredible. God, I had a lump in my throat on the way.

One of my favorite quotes:

And so the first question that the Levite asked was, "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But then the Good Samaritan came by. And he reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?". That's the question before you tonight. Not, "If I stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to all of the hours that I usually spend in my office every day and every week as a pastor?" The question is not, "If I stop to help this man in need, what will happen to me?" "If I do no stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to them?" That's the question.

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2010, 02:07

Tomi, you are not wrong. MLK was a heck of a man. When I hear clips of that "I have a dream speech" I have a chill, and I am not even an American. Americans try to do the right thing in time, but like any people, they sometimes loathe to embrace change.

He just pointed out the civil war was supposed to have ended this crap of segregation, and he was the spearhead of a long line of brave people, such as Rosa Parks, and the kids who went to the White schools in Little Rock.

It is only just the man is a national hero.....