PDA

View Full Version : Di Resta moves closer to Force India tester role

Placid
16th January 2010, 23:57
Less than a month after Jerez, Paul Di Resta is moving closer on become Force India's test and reserve driver. With a deal that might come immenent, Di Resta may have the opportunity to get a 2011 race seat. This was expected from Di Resta from the start when he shared testing with JR Hildebrand.

Report:
http://www.racer.com/di-resta-close-to-force-india-role/article/161586/

gloomyDAY
17th January 2010, 00:34
Less than a month after Jerez, Paul Di Resta is moving closer on become Force India's test and reserve driver. With a deal that might come immenent, Di Resta may have the opportunity to get a 2011 race seat. This was expected from Di Resta from the start when he shared testing with JR Hildebrand.

Report:
http://www.racer.com/di-resta-close-to-force-india-role/article/161586/Why isn't this kid in F1?!

Seriously, just so irksome.

Ranger
17th January 2010, 02:20
Why isn't this kid in F1?!

Seriously, just so irksome.

Yep, I'd put money that he'd be be immediately better than both Sutil and Liuzzi.

Force India are too generous.

52Paddy
17th January 2010, 11:46
He's still young (23/24 years old or so). Would be good to have him in the sport.

jens
17th January 2010, 13:31
I think you shouldn't worry about di Resta's F1 career here from now on. I fully expect him to have a similar deal as Liuzzi and get promoted to a race seat for 2011 unless both Sutil and Liuzzi manage something magical during 2010.

Saint Devote
17th January 2010, 16:18
He's still young (23/24 years old or so). Would be good to have him in the sport.

Age as a stumbling block is short-sighted. The question is why are those in GP2 viewed as more suitable for f1.

The DTM is more sophisticated and the driver receives the benefit of racing what are really single seater cars with bodies of sedans while working with Audi and Mercedes Benz.

I'd say as much as di Resta is worthy of being viewed as f1 material, so is Paffett and several others in the DTM.

gloomyDAY
17th January 2010, 16:26
I'd say as much as di Resta is worthy of being viewed as f1 material, so is Paffett and several others in the DTM.Except Ralf. :p

If di Resta gets an F1 seat we may see more drivers promoted from DTM, rather then seeing F1 drivers wash out and land a seat in DTM.

Saint Devote
17th January 2010, 17:08
Except Ralf. :p

If di Resta gets an F1 seat we may see more drivers promoted from DTM, rather then seeing F1 drivers wash out and land a seat in DTM.

And looking back the f1 drivers have not exactly shined all that brightly in the DTM.

Definitely time for the current to flow the other way.

jens
17th January 2010, 17:12
Sorry, but DTM and open-wheel racing are completely different disciplines, that's why GP2 is a much better indicator for F1 teams, who could be worth hiring.

Many F1 drivers have struggled in DTM; in turn a certain Christijan Albers didn't do much in F1, despite being a front-runner in DTM. Arguably Paffett hasn't been too impressive in F1 tests, that's why he isn't on F1 radar either. And the main reason why di Resta is being chased, are his deeds in open-wheel cars (feeder series and F1 tests), not so much DTM. Being successful in DTM means nothing in deserving an F1 drive. It can be said though that double DTM champion Timo Scheider was having a tight battle for the 1997 German F3 title with no-one else than Nick Heidfeld, so maybe he could have cut it in F1 too. But again, this assumption is based on his lower formula record, not touring cars.

Saint Devote
17th January 2010, 17:26
Sorry, but DTM and open-wheel racing are completely different disciplines, that's why GP2 is a much better indicator for F1 teams, who could be worth hiring.

Many F1 drivers have struggled in DTM; in turn a certain Christijan Albers didn't do much in F1, despite being a front-runner in DTM. Arguably Paffett hasn't been too impressive in F1 tests, that's why he isn't on F1 radar either. And the main reason why di Resta is being chased, are his deeds in open-wheel cars (feeder series and F1 tests), not so much DTM. Being successful in DTM means nothing in deserving an F1 drive. It can be said though that double DTM champion Timo Scheider was a German F3 champion in 1997 in front of no-one else than Nick Heidfeld, so maybe he could have cut it in F1 too. But again, this assumption is based on his lower formula record, not touring cars.

GP2 does not have a solid proven track record either really.

Aside from Rosberg and Hamilton and perhaps Hulkenberg still to prove himself in f1 - those given a chance in f1 have not exactly set the world alight.

Point is that at least GP2 drivers are given the chance - give the DTM drivers the same consideration beginning with di Resta.

jens
17th January 2010, 17:48
GP2 does not have a solid proven track record either really.

Aside from Rosberg and Hamilton and perhaps Hulkenberg still to prove himself in f1 - those given a chance in f1 have not exactly set the world alight.

Point is that at least GP2 drivers are given the chance - give the DTM drivers the same consideration beginning with di Resta.

Giving a chance? DTM front-runners Albers and Paffett (in testing) have had the opportunities to impress, didn't. Winkelhock got a chance, although a brief one, and lacked pace. I'm not sure, what happened to Scheider though in the late-90's, maybe ran out of money.

Ekström has never wanted to race in F1, his ultimate goal has always been DTM. The deeds of Premat, Spengler, etc in lower formula weren't impressive enough to attract the attention of F1 community. And that's the main reason really, why the open-wheel opportunities of drivers come to an end and they end up in DTM, which you claim should be "seriously looked at". In fact, most drivers in DTM have raced in smaller formulas and failed to impress.

Besides di Resta, who may be worth getting at least a testing opportunity in F1 cars, are Green and maybe Jarvis.

GP2 is as good feeder series as you can get, and should be treated more seriously than DTM. As for GP2's track record - well, not everyone can be top drivers, who reach F1, can they? And from DTM there are way less of those than from F3000/GP2 so far - Fisichella comes to my mind from the top of my head. If you would call him someone "setting the world alight", that is.

There are so many drivers in the world to choose from and simply some kind of a line has to be drawn to limit your options. Racing in GP2 rather than DTM can also show bigger driver's desire for F1 - all kinds of reasons count in the tough world of choosing drivers for F1 programmes.

52Paddy
18th January 2010, 20:55
Age as a stumbling block is short-sighted.

Tell it to the team bosses. Presuming by age, you mean old age (i.e drivers into their 30s by the time they reach F1). Team bosses tend to plump for the younger bunch nowadays. The 'graduates' from GP2. I'm not saying that is correct at all. But, since Damon Hill went from the scene, its all really been about proven veterans or quick young drivers being picked up by teams. You seldom get a rookie in the sport at age 30 or more these days, and that's indeed short-sightedness, if that hypothetical driver is impressive.

On the other hand, you could equally mean 'young age as a strumbling block is short-sighted'. Which isn't what I was getting at, at all.

Why are drivers picked from GP2? I think it's only logical that the drivers to be chosen come from a single seater background. That's not to say that drivers in touring cars, sports cars, rallying and even bikes, couldn't cut the mustard in F1. It's is, however, true that this achievement is less likely. And, also, all of the drivers in GP2 have their sights set on F1. Rally drivers and bikers usually have different aspirations, hence their choice of motorsport. And drivers in touring cars and sports cars have often come from F1 or else, emigrated from another (national etc) touring car series, aiming to hit the world series and perhaps make Le Mans or ALMS.

Yes, that's a generalisation. But I think that's what's needed to answer your question. But I do agree with you in regard to driver's in other series being considered more than they currently are.

gloomyDAY
18th January 2010, 21:20
Sorry, but DTM and open-wheel racing are completely different disciplines, that's why GP2 is a much better indicator for F1 teams, who could be worth hiring.Di Resta has a pretty good CV in open-wheel racing. Di Resta was promoted to the DTM, but I feel as if his career has stagnated there and the talent that he has is being wasted. F1 could be adding another young gem with this Scot.

I never meant to infer that all DTM drivers are capable of making a leap into F1, which clearly is not the case. In Paul's case there weren't any openings in F1, so he chose to compete in DTM. What I am saying is that drivers who graduate to DTM from a successful open-wheel career should be given a shot into F1 and not blackballed.