PDA

View Full Version : SEAT quit WTCC

philipbain
13th January 2010, 22:29
SEAT have now confirmed that they have quit the World Touring Car Championship with immediate effect.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80852

They have pledged to offer technical support to teams wanting to run either petrol or diesel powered privateer entries. I bet the Touring Car Bureau or whatever they call themselves are very pleased that despite manipulating the rules to SEAT's advantage and in the process pissing off every other manufacturer that SEAT have won the championship and promptly buggered off.

Daniel
13th January 2010, 22:51
Goodbye and good riddance.

AndyRAC
13th January 2010, 23:48
Hardly a surprise, but the WTCC is now officially a Dead duck Championship!!
Another series the FiA has let wither on the vine.....

Daniel
14th January 2010, 08:32
Hardly a surprise, but the WTCC is now officially a Dead duck Championship!!
Another series the FiA has let wither on the vine.....
Couldn't agree more. The WTCC had potential and they just ran it into the ground. If they had removed Seat's silly TDI advantage it could have been a great series.

racer69
14th January 2010, 11:56
Couldn't agree more. The WTCC had potential and they just ran it into the ground. If they had removed Seat's silly TDI advantage it could have been a great series.

Did you expect anything different?

The first WTCC in 1987 had potential and they killed it... they at least let this one run a few years...

Daniel
14th January 2010, 12:35

The first WTCC in 1987 had potential and they killed it... they at least let this one run a few years...
I didn't expect anything different but I hoped for it!

ProRally
26th January 2010, 18:24
Rumors have it that LADA will follow....

thetrooper_uk
29th January 2010, 09:45
Don't forget that the FIA screwed the DTM as well when they took over running it. They had it for 1996 and it went bust because of the way they tried to change it.
FIA are the worst thing in Motorsport I reckon.

BDunnell
31st January 2010, 13:06

I suppose there is a comparison to be made here, in that the first WTCC lacked a wide public profile, like the current one, and that the FIA didn't manage it well, like the current one. But the 1987 series was also riddled with cheating and legal arguments, which didn't help, and touring car racing has often seen peaks and troughs in a way that — for instance — F1 hasn't. In the troughs, even a well-managed series will struggle.