PDA

View Full Version : Bahrain GP to host gathering of all living F1 champion and their cars

Giuseppe F1
13th January 2010, 12:02
This sounds like it will be an awesome sight to behold, however I can imagine Kimi will be the odd one out and wont really be bothered about attending! :)

---------------------------------

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/80830

Bahrain to host champions' gathering
Wednesday, January 13th 2010, 10:17 GMT

The Bahrain Grand Prix organisers expect all living world champions to attend this year's Sakhir race.

The 20 title-winners have been invited as part of the celebrations of the Formula 1 world championship's 60th anniversary.

"This will be a truly special occasion, especially for all those who love F1 and who have been following the sport for many years," said circuit boss Martin Whitaker.

Many of the cars associated with the champion drivers will also be brought to Sakhir for the occasion.

The Bahrain GP has moved back to the season-opener slot this year and will take place on 14 March.

JasonD
13th January 2010, 16:08
I am drooling at the photo opportunities!

ratonmacias
13th January 2010, 17:15
so definately jv will be at bahrein 2010 hehe

philipbain
13th January 2010, 21:28
That sounds great, so lets see if I can name every living world champ off the top of my head

Button
Hamilton
Raikonnen
Alonso
Schumacher
Hakkinen
Villeneuve
Hill
Prost
Mansell
Piquet
Lauda
Rosberg
Jones
Schekter
Fittipaldi
Stewart
Surtees
Brabham

Thats 19 - the first post said 20 - who have I missed out??

philipbain
13th January 2010, 21:31
Ah bugger - Andretti!!

Had to look that one up too, very disappointed with myself!

Robinho
13th January 2010, 21:34
Super Mario

Saint Devote
14th January 2010, 02:48
And these drivers have won titles as follows:

Five for Ferrari / One Lotus / Seven Williams / Five Mclaren / One Renault / One Benetton / One Tyrrell / One Brawn [great grandchild of Tyrrell :-] / Two Brabham / Two Cooper.

Missed any?

Ranger
14th January 2010, 04:50
And these drivers have won titles as follows:

Five for Ferrari / One Lotus / Seven Williams / Five Mclaren / One Renault / One Benetton / One Tyrrell / One Brawn [great grandchild of Tyrrell :-] / Two Brabham / Two Cooper.

Missed any?

As far as WDC's for respective teams go you are missing quite a few:

From memory: ;)

Ferrari 10- Surtees x1; Lauda x2; Scheckter x1; Schumacher x5; Raikkonen x1.
McLaren 8- Fittipaldi x1; Lauda x1; Prost x3; Hakkinen x2; Hamilton x1.
Williams 7- Jones x1; Rosberg x1; Piquet x1; Mansell x1; Prost x1; D.Hill x1; Villeneuve x1.
Brabham 3- Brabham x1; Piquet x2.
Cooper 2- Brabham x2.
Lotus 2- Fittipaldi x1; Andretti x1.
Renault 2- Alonso x2.
Bennetton 2- Schumacher x2.
Tyrrell 2- Stewart x2.
Matra 1- Stewart x1.
Brawn 1- Button x1.

garyshell
14th January 2010, 05:15
As far as WDC's for respective teams go you are missing quite a few:

From memory: ;)

I think he was counting DRIVERS not WDC's.

Gary

Ranger
14th January 2010, 05:20
I think he was counting DRIVERS not WDC's.

Gary

Then there are still indiscrepancies with SD's list. :)

If we count drivers as many times as they won titles for different teams then we have:

Ferrari 10 (5 drivers)- Surtees x1; Lauda x2; Scheckter x1; Schumacher x5; Raikkonen x1.
McLaren 8 (5 drivers)- Fittipaldi x1; Lauda x1; Prost x3; Hakkinen x2; Hamilton x1.
Williams 7 (7 drivers)- Jones x1; Rosberg x1; Piquet x1; Mansell x1; Prost x1; D.Hill x1; Villeneuve x1.
Brabham 3 (2 drivers)- Brabham x1; Piquet x2.
Cooper 2 (1 driver)- Brabham x2.
Lotus 2 (2 drivers)- Fittipaldi x1; Andretti x1.
Renault 2 (1 driver)- Alonso x2.
Bennetton 2 (1 driver)- Schumacher x2.
Tyrrell 2 (1 driver)- Stewart x2.
Matra 1 (1 driver)- Stewart x1.
Brawn 1 (1 driver)- Button x1.

(Just for general interest's sake)

Sonic
14th January 2010, 08:42
That would be incredible to see.

I really hope that they actually DRIVE their cars though. I'm getting all tingly just thinking about a Cooper sharing the tarmac with, say, Hill's Williams.

But its probably a static display, right?

Mark
14th January 2010, 08:49
Williams 7 (7 drivers)- Jones x1; Rosberg x1; Piquet x1; Mansell x1; Prost x1; D.Hill x1; Villeneuve x1.

Great stats, thanks!
It's very telling to note that although Williams is arguably the 3rd most successful F1 team of all time, they've never won the championship with the same driver twice.

Mark
14th January 2010, 08:51
That would be incredible to see.

I really hope that they actually DRIVE their cars though. I'm getting all tingly just thinking about a Cooper sharing the tarmac with, say, Hill's Williams.

But its probably a static display, right?

I imagine most will be static, yes. Especially if they are the championship winning car, I'd imagine they are quite valuable. But there are still loads of historic F1 cars still running, so there's no reason they couldn't put on a display.

Imagine a parade with an F1 car from each year since 1950!

Saint Devote
14th January 2010, 10:27
Gary is correct - I was unconcerned with the driver's but how many championships each team has won from these guys.

I forgot Stewart won for Matra - there was atime when new teams and cars was happily not the melodrama and heavy regulation it is today.

Ahh well - thats regression!

Sonic
14th January 2010, 10:45
I imagine most will be static, yes. Especially if they are the championship winning car, I'd imagine they are quite valuable. But there are still loads of historic F1 cars still running, so there's no reason they couldn't put on a display.

Imagine a parade with an F1 car from each year since 1950!

That would be cool. Although not some 20mph wave to the crowd stuff. Drive 'em like they stole 'em.

Saint Devote
15th January 2010, 02:55
The next line-up ought to be even more exclusive - the living drivers that have achieved TWENTY or more grand prix victories. There would be NINE.