PDA

View Full Version : Hoorah! Chinese internet users can finally Google Tiananmen Square!

Dave B
13th January 2010, 09:11
Google has "sent shockwaves through China" by announcing it will no longer do the state's bidding and censor internet search results.

Of course, China being the beacon of democracy that it is will do doubt react by banning Google, so enjoy it while it lasts.

It seems unthinkable in this day and age that Chinese citizens have been unable to search for information on Tiananmen Square, look at pro-democracy sites, or use social networks such as Facebook and Twitter, without installing tools to circumvent the "great firewall of China".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/12/google-china-ends-censorship
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8455712.stm

Daniel
13th January 2010, 10:35
Google has "sent shockwaves through China" by announcing it will no longer do the state's bidding and censor internet search results.

Of course, China being the beacon of democracy that it is will do doubt react by banning Google, so enjoy it while it lasts.

It seems unthinkable in this day and age that Chinese citizens have been unable to search for information on Tiananmen Square, look at pro-democracy sites, or use social networks such as Facebook and Twitter, without installing tools to circumvent the "great firewall of China".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/12/google-china-ends-censorship
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8455712.stm
Google grows a spine? To quote Victor Meldrew "I DON'T believe it!!!!!!"

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2010, 18:43
Google grows a spine? To quote Victor Meldrew "I DON'T believe it!!!!!!"

When you consider they also own You Tube, they are taking an extreme hit potentially financially.

If Corporate America had the balls to stand up the thugs in Beijjing, they could call their bluff.

At some point, there will be a time where the people of China will start to demand more freedom and openness in their culture. If the government there doesn't figure this out, they will be on the wrong end of it, and this time, the result wont be to their liking. They put down the democracy movement in 1989, but you have a whole generation that doesn't know about this, but they know they are missing something....

Sonic
14th January 2010, 20:29
Google are only a minor player in China. I guess they figured the minimal financial gain was not worth the agro.

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2010, 20:52
Google are only a minor player in China. I guess they figured the minimal financial gain was not worth the agro.

Is You Tube a minor player in China tho? I suspect regardless of their positiong, this costs Google money and good on them for making the point.

Sonic
14th January 2010, 21:02
Is You Tube a minor player in China tho? I suspect regardless of their positiong, this costs Google money and good on them for making the point.

Don't get me wrong I'm pleased they've taken the step but the cynic in me thing the boost to their reputation (and therefore revenue) in other more profitable markets could be at least as much of a motivating factor as the hastle of dealing with China.

Ps I have no idea how big you tube is in China

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2010, 21:12
Don't get me wrong I'm pleased they've taken the step but the cynic in me thing the boost to their reputation (and therefore revenue) in other more profitable markets could be at least as much of a motivating factor as the hastle of dealing with China.

Ps I have no idea how big you tube is in China

It is big with kids period. I suspect it is big enough.

As for their motives? Hey, if they make up for what they lost in China, so be it, but China is a HUGE market that every other company holds their noses or jumps into quite willingly because of their greed. Glad to see a company turn down the temptation. I don't care their motivation, just glad they did it.

Valve Bounce
15th January 2010, 00:45
I remember we had a teacher castigating onlookers for attacking the Chinese torch bearers. He was most insistent that there was no internet censorship in China. However, when we suggested he try to access Tienamen Square massacre, there was no replay from him. Obviously our posts had been intercepted and did not appear on his computer.

Now, there are reports that Google has been seriously hacked by very sophisticated hackers from China. I could not get onto Google for quarter of an hour before, but it is back on now. I think there will be some sort of revenge taken against Google over this.

It was reported two days ago here that Google were going to show the "Tank" man in China, the guy who stood in front of the tanks at Tienamen Square.

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2010, 05:02
I remember we had a teacher castigating onlookers for attacking the Chinese torch bearers. He was most insistent that there was no internet censorship in China. However, when we suggested he try to access Tienamen Square massacre, there was no replay from him. Obviously our posts had been intercepted and did not appear on his computer.

Now, there are reports that Google has been seriously hacked by very sophisticated hackers from China. I could not get onto Google for quarter of an hour before, but it is back on now. I think there will be some sort of revenge taken against Google over this.

It was reported two days ago here that Google were going to show the "Tank" man in China, the guy who stood in front of the tanks at Tienamen Square.

It is amazing to me how the government in Beiijing isn't facing more unrest from this than they appear to be. The Chinese people are smart, and most young people instinctively hate being told by the "man" what they can see. Factor in many of them probably have figured out hacks to the outside, and there likely is a bit of an underground knowledge of what they are not being told. That festers long enough...well we could have another rebellion. It is to weep what happened in 1989. The whole world was turning away from a lot of this communist "group think" or at least the Russians and Chinese appeared to be, and then suddenly, it was gone in China.

Valve Bounce
15th January 2010, 08:15
It is amazing to me how the government in Beiijing isn't facing more unrest from this than they appear to be. The Chinese people are smart, and most young people instinctively hate being told by the "man" what they can see. Factor in many of them probably have figured out hacks to the outside, and there likely is a bit of an underground knowledge of what they are not being told. That festers long enough...well we could have another rebellion. It is to weep what happened in 1989. The whole world was turning away from a lot of this communist "group think" or at least the Russians and Chinese appeared to be, and then suddenly, it was gone in China.

I think it may be a case with the majority that they simply do not know what they cannot see.

Sonic
15th January 2010, 09:18
I think it may be a case with the majority that they simply do not know what they cannot see.

Yes I think that may well be the case.