PDA

View Full Version : AOWR Driver of the Decade

MDS
4th January 2010, 22:12
ESPN has nominated Sebastien Bourdias Champ Car/IRL driver of the decade,

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/news/story?id=4776055

and made the case for Sam Hornish

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/news/story?id=4778665

The problem is with split both Sebastien and Sam faced some pretty weak competition, so I probably give the nod to Sebastien at least in part because his out of series accomplishments, finishing second twice in the 24 hr of Lemans and winning Sebring are more impressive, and Sam has been average in NASCAR.

I think you have to look at Scott Dixon. He's the only one who raced in AOWR consistently during that time, is the IRL win leader, competed in CART before the competition got diluted. He won the Indy Lights championship, and has been in one of the top two points spots for the last three years, two of which against the stiffest competition since 2001

anthonyvop
5th January 2010, 00:20
It is an ESPN pole so it will go to a NASCAR driver, Probably Jimmie Johnson. Anybody who truly follows motorsports knows that Sebastien Loeb is the only logical choice.

harvick#1
5th January 2010, 00:24
they are talking about Open Wheel drivers ;)

I believe I'd have to go with Dixon, Franchitti, or Castroneves

although with the split, it is too hard to judge as both series had good drivers but were different cars they raced

but in all reality

driver of the decade goes to Danica :p :

NickFalzone
5th January 2010, 01:01
IMO it's gotta be Seabass, Dario, Dixon, or Castroneves.

TURN3
5th January 2010, 01:18
I can honestly say I've never had as much hate towards a driver as I did Bourdais. That being said, it was because he was so outright dominant. Both series were watered down, yes but if you take the top 2 teams from each series, none of them dominated like he did. 4 championships and in 5 years approached somewhere around the top 5 in career wins. On the IRL side, Dixon, Franchitti, etc...they pretty much all had their days. I don't think you can include Helio in the race. He's in a 2nd tier with people like Tracy...no championships for Helio but several race wins and 3 (cough 2) 500's. Gotta go to Bourdais if we are talking American Open Wheel Racing...yuk.

anthonyvop
5th January 2010, 03:23

Nope it is for "Driver of the Decade"

Who is ESPN.com's Driver of the Decade? Stay tuned. Nine drivers. One winner. The big reveal is coming Monday, Jan. 11.
So far they have listed:
# Sebastien Bourdais
# Sam Hornish Jr.
# Jimmie Johnson
# Tom Kristensen
# Sebastien Loeb
# Monday: Valentino Rossi
# Coming Tuesday: Bernd Schneider

anthonyvop
5th January 2010, 03:26
Top 5 for sure. Only? Mmm, maybe.
He is a six-time world champion and holds the record for most wins in the series and most - and tied second most - consecutive wins in a rally season with 6 & 5 (multiple times) respectively.

125 starts
54 wins
82 podiums

Who is even in the same league?

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2010, 03:39
IMO it's gotta be Seabass, Dario, Dixon, or Castroneves.

Seabass over Dario. He made the CCWS/CART competition look weak, but he was just that good. You didn't see him make many mistakes and he adapted to every track he went to immediately. Dario, had he not had the NASCAR daillance would be a close second but still likely is with Helio and Dixon below the Frenchman...

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2010, 03:40
Driver of the Decade? Johnson, Schuey or Loeb....

harvick#1
5th January 2010, 04:11
Nope it is for "Driver of the Decade"

yes, but MDS asked us who is the American Open Wheel Driver of the decade.

if its actual driver, I'll go with Sebastien Loeb

although Tom Kristensen won the 24 hours of Lemans 7 out of 10 years which which will most likely be never done again. and if not for a loose wheel in 07, or mechanical problems in 06, he would've won it 9 out of 10 years.

Michael Schumacher would be second on my vote

Rossi would be 3rd

harvick#1
5th January 2010, 04:14
Driver of the Decade? Johnson, Schuey or Loeb....

even though I hate to admit it, I'll put Jeff Gordon over Johnson for the DOTD for Nascar

garyshell
5th January 2010, 06:39

Uh, no they aren't. The title of the thread here would lead you to believe that, but the links take you to pages that say NOTHING about open wheel. In fact Jimmie Johnson is one of the drivers already nominated. Game over. We know EXACTLY what series the winner will come from.

Gary

DanicaFan
5th January 2010, 08:54
Can I put my vote in for Danica ?? ;)

ShiftingGears
5th January 2010, 09:18
As far as AOWR goes, Sebastien Bourdais.

As far as drivers of the decade go, the top two are easily Sebastien Loeb and Michael Schumacher.

I am evil Homer
5th January 2010, 09:26
Agreed...it can only be Schumacher and Loeb tied for #1 due to their outstanding records in their respective fields. To separate them would be too difficult.

Lousada
5th January 2010, 11:57
Since they count Rossi as a driver I'd say he is the best.
From the car drivers Loeb is the best of the decade. He started the decade as a nobody in France and ended it as a multiple world champion. Schumacher laid the basis of his career and his team in the 90s so he didn't have to do a lot this decade except drive it to the finish line.
Tom Kristensen has his reputation based mostly on one single weekend a year and he wasn't even the only driver of his car.
From AOWR I rate Dixon or Franchitti the highest. For two reasons: 1. they did it in a single series. 2. they did it on an equally split oval/road course schedule.

beachgirl
5th January 2010, 12:19
Can I put my vote in for Danica ?? ;)

Nope. She wasn't nominated. :)

anthonyvop
5th January 2010, 13:35
Why are they doing a driver of the decade poll anyway? We still have one more year to go.

wedge
5th January 2010, 14:14
JPM

Scott Dixon or Dario

edv
5th January 2010, 17:37
Doesn't matter who we like...it's gonna be JJ.

anthonyvop
5th January 2010, 19:31
Yep

disko
5th January 2010, 19:53
castroneves. he would have had 4 indy 500's if not for AJ4. And his mastery of IMS Qualifying.

5th January 2010, 20:47

Lehto?

Only joking.

Johnson, Schumacher, Loeb - all would be deserving.

anthonyvop
5th January 2010, 21:32
Lehto?

Only joking.

Johnson, Schumacher, Loeb - all would be deserving.

Schumie and Loeb have dominated their sport. Johnson has not.

Lousada
5th January 2010, 21:59
Why are they doing a driver of the decade poll anyway? We still have one more year to go.

A decade is any period of 10 years you'd lump together. This does not have to be equal parts counting from the year 1.
In popular sense this means all the years that use 0 as their third number.

Alexamateo
5th January 2010, 22:57
He is a six-time world champion and holds the record for most wins in the series and most - and tied second most - consecutive wins in a rally season with 6 & 5 (multiple times) respectively.

125 starts
54 wins
82 podiums

Who is even in the same league?

Valentino Rossi?

135 races, 64 wins, 105 podiums, 6 championships

But it's motorcycles, so maybe it doesn't count.

harvick#1
6th January 2010, 00:47
Valentino Rossi?

135 races, 64 wins, 105 podiums, 6 championships

But it's motorcycles, so maybe it doesn't count.

I'd have to say Motorcycles have to be harder,

I mean as a driver, you already gotta have nuts to drive, but bikes are like a death wish, and watching how close the Moto GP guys go at it, its astonishing

Alexamateo
6th January 2010, 02:54
I'd have to say Motorcycles have to be harder,

I mean as a driver, you already gotta have nuts to drive, but bikes are like a death wish, and watching how close the Moto GP guys go at it, its astonishing

Laguna Seca 2008, Rossi, Stoner, Best Race ever until Stoner went wide.

Mark in Oshawa
6th January 2010, 06:24
Schumie and Loeb have dominated their sport. Johnson has not.

Tony, not sure how much NASCAR you watch, but it is a deeper field, in cars that are more equal, yet the man has not finished lower than 5th in the points, and has 4 championships in a row, preceeded by two second place finishes. Hard to say he isn't dominating the sport which doesn't lend itself to domination. This new era in NASCAR is designed to NOT let anyone dominate....

anthonyvop
6th January 2010, 13:06
Tony, not sure how much NASCAR you watch, but it is a deeper field, in cars that are more equal, yet the man has not finished lower than 5th in the points, and has 4 championships in a row, preceeded by two second place finishes. Hard to say he isn't dominating the sport which doesn't lend itself to domination. This new era in NASCAR is designed to NOT let anyone dominate....

When a WRC event starts the question is "Can anybody beat Loeb?" Nobody asks if anybody can beat J.J. at the start of a NASCAR race. Johnson didn't even win the most races this year.
Johnson is great at saving his car while running at or near the front to gather up points. He in no way has dominated on the track.

Also NASCAR runs,(except on 2 events) on Billiard ball smooth ovals.
Loeb and other rally drivers have to master not just asphalt but dirt, gravel, mud, snow and ice.