PDA

View Full Version : Adam Carroll's chances

52Paddy
4th January 2010, 08:21
Does anybody reckon Adam Carroll deserves a shot at F1? And does anybody think he will get in?

At 27, he is getting to a stage where he needs to move into F1 sooner, rather than later, if he wants to have a greater chance at being competitive. The likes of Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen (driver of this generation), all got to F1 by their early 20s at the latest. I'm not saying he won't be competitive if he does land a ride in later years. I just think his prime time is now. I'll dig up two articles regarding Carroll which you may or may not have read already:

Lola
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/210871/lola-could-open-doors-to-f1-for-carroll/

Virgin
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/224428/carroll-hopeful-for-f1-seat-in-2010/

The latter is probably less likely with the lack of talk now about Carroll. Other drivers have been mentioned more likely to go alongside Glock.

I will be biased, with him being a young Irishman, that I'd like to see him get a shot at F1. But if he isn't on the grid soon, I think he might slip through the reigns.

*I've been away from this forum for a while up to Christmas so apologies if this has already been discussed.

Saint Devote
4th January 2010, 10:17
Does anybody reckon Adam Carroll deserves a shot at F1? And does anybody think he will get in?

At 27, he is getting to a stage where he needs to move into F1 sooner, rather than later, if he wants to have a greater chance at being competitive. The likes of Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen (driver of this generation), all got to F1 by their early 20s at the latest. I'm not saying he won't be competitive if he does land a ride in later years. I just think his prime time is now. I'll dig up two articles regarding Carroll which you may or may not have read already:

Lola
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/210871/lola-could-open-doors-to-f1-for-carroll/

Virgin
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/224428/carroll-hopeful-for-f1-seat-in-2010/

The latter is probably less likely with the lack of talk now about Carroll. Other drivers have been mentioned more likely to go alongside Glock.

I will be biased, with him being a young Irishman, that I'd like to see him get a shot at F1. But if he isn't on the grid soon, I think he might slip through the reigns.

*I've been away from this forum for a while up to Christmas so apologies if this has already been discussed.

If he had a few million pounds in sponsorship available he could probably outbid for a seat with the USF1 team now set for some Argentinian driver named Lopez with $8 million and James Rossiter - why they chose him they have not announced.

Helicon_One
4th January 2010, 14:24

Lola

Virgin

Lola don't have a grid spot for 2010, and Virgin have already announced Glock and Di Grassi.

Currently the seats still available for this year are at Renault, Toro Rosso, Campos, Sauber and USF1, although unofficially a couple of those are probably already taken. Although the rumour mill currently says De La Rosa is favourite, I'd love to see Peter Sauber take a chance on Adam, he has a history of picking out talented newcomers and his car should be at least a competitive midfielder this year. Plus, Carroll and Kobayashi in the same team has all kinds of exciting potential!

wedge
4th January 2010, 14:54
Don't think we'll see Carroll racing in F1 though I won't be surprised if he tests.

Really he should've tested F1 cars by now but he's been looked over the likes of Senna, Di Grassi, Hamilton, etc. But TBH, I think he would be an average midfielder at best.

A shame no one gave him a shot which possibly means the problem is more than just money paying for a drive. By now he should be doing DTM/LMS/ALMS/IRL. I find it criminal why he isn't doing top class racing now.

DexDexter
4th January 2010, 15:02
Could someone enlighten me why Carroll should be in F1? His resume is not particularly impressive.

wedge
4th January 2010, 16:12
Could someone enlighten me why Carroll should be in F1? His resume is not particularly impressive.

Similar to Mansell. In Junior Formulae he never quite had the car/team but could make good solid use of it. I particularly remember him in British F3 scholarship class he cleaned up the field (in class) and finished on the podium (or there abouts IIRC) on merit in year old machinery. He's a solid GP2 driver.

As I said. He's good enough for top level categories, not wasting himself in A1GP or Super League.

DexDexter
4th January 2010, 18:07
Similar to Mansell. In Junior Formulae he never quite had the car/team but could make good solid use of it. I particularly remember him in British F3 scholarship class he cleaned up the field (in class) and finished on the podium (or there abouts IIRC) on merit in year old machinery. He's a solid GP2 driver.

As I said. He's good enough for top level categories, not wasting himself in A1GP or Super League.

Ok, but isn't that the usual story, not enough budget and so on. I think the ones with extraordinary talent will get through to F1 no matter what. IMO Carroll seems like Allan Mcnish, a good driver but perhaps there is that final little bit missing, that's just the impression I've got from gp2.

philipbain
5th January 2010, 00:00
I think I am already on the record on this subject elsewhere on the board but I will happily reiterate the fact I would LOVE to see Adam Carroll in F1. Its not that he's merely blindingly fast, he's also a true racer, a charger, a driver superb at fighting his way through a field and he also has a tendency to slide the car, so all in all I would say he's a modern day cross between Ronnie Peterson and Nigel Mansell, which is hardly a criticism! With the number of so-so drivers coming through to F1 in recent times (Alguersuari and Grosjean spring instantly to mind) it is a crime that Adam has been overlooked when it comes to F1 drives. I feel that he could capture the public imagination in the same way as Nigel Mansell did and in a way that both Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button have so far failed to do to the same degree.

philipbain
5th January 2010, 00:04
IMO Carroll seems like Allan Mcnish, a good driver but perhaps there is that final little bit missing, that's just the impression I've got from gp2.

Adam Carroll was never given a fair crack of the whip in GP2, he carried cars from teams that were uncompetitive to places they simply didn't belong. Unlike certain other drivers that were given plenty of opportunities to deliver in grade A equipment and just squandered it. Allan McNish he certainly isn't.

wedge
5th January 2010, 00:18
Adam Carroll was never given a fair crack of the whip in GP2, he carried cars from teams that were uncompetitive to places they simply didn't belong. Unlike certain other drivers that were given plenty of opportunities to deliver in grade A equipment and just squandered it. Allan McNish he certainly isn't.

IIRC he drove for Super Nova in his first year - which was regarded as a top team given their F3000 credentials and he drove for Fisi Motorsport.

Malbec
5th January 2010, 11:10

As others have said he had his career hobbled by a lack of money just at a time when loads of drivers' kids were being boosted through the junior formulae with huge wallets behind them.

On talent he's pretty impressive and probably does deserve an F1 racedrive.

ShiftingGears
5th January 2010, 11:20
Slim and fat.

jens
5th January 2010, 11:57
While I wouldn't have any problem with seeing Carroll in F1, I can see why he isn't a particularly interesting choice for F1 teams. While he may be decent, he doesn't really stand out among all that mass of drivers, who are aiming to reach F1, in any way (cash, results, etc).

As I have mentioned in another thread, if you want to hype British drivers (Carroll should be racing under Union Jack, I think, having born in Northern Ireland), take a look at di Resta and Green, whose lower formula record is much more impressive. Somehow wrong guys are getting hyped.

52Paddy
7th January 2010, 23:20
As I have mentioned in another thread, if you want to hype British drivers

Look at my flag buddy. I'm far from looking to hype British drivers.

(Carroll should be racing under Union Jack, I think, having born in Northern Ireland)[/b]

Careful there, dangerous territory.

I'm sure Di Resta and Green are grand drivers. I'm rooting for a fellow countryman who I think could be decent enough to not make an arse of himself at least. Maybe not world championship material but a decent journeyman I would reckon and a driver with character.

Helicon_One
8th January 2010, 22:10

Adam's profile on his own website gives his nationality as 'Northern Irish', so he at least is being diplomatic on the matter!

Tumbo
9th January 2010, 11:17
remember the issues that were had w/ Irvine on this same topic?

driveace
9th January 2010, 12:31
Adam Carrol HAS been in a Formula one car.I have seen him testing in Valencia with I think Honda or BAR about 2/3 seasons ago.He was not impressive in his times.

Sonic
9th January 2010, 13:59
Finance has always been an issue for Adam but that's the way it is for so many drivers. I'd be pleased to see him given a seat in F1 but I could also make a case for a half dozen other talented Brits who have been forgotten due to lack of the green needed to make the slippery climb up the motor racing ladder who IMO are faster than Carroll.

maximilian
30th January 2010, 19:08
Just wanted to bump this thread up again, since it has become a real possibility now...

driveace
30th January 2010, 19:16
Probably Anthony Davidson ,stands a better chance,when |I talked to him in Valencia,he was Sato,s team mate,but would not critisise Sato,so he knows how to keep his mouth shut!

N. Jones
31st January 2010, 03:02
Only two places left for Carroll - USF1 & Campos. Both need money as well, so if he wants to get into F1 he needs to flash the green!

52Paddy
31st January 2010, 03:10
Probably Anthony Davidson ,stands a better chance,when |I talked to him in Valencia,he was Sato,s team mate,but would not critisise Sato,so he knows how to keep his mouth shut!

Two things:

1. As it stands, Davidson has not been linked with any drive for 2010. As of today, Carroll stands a real chance of getting in at Campos if Texeira buys out the team. So how does Ant stand a better chance? :confused:

2. What year were you talking to him? 2008? He might be a nice lad, but, firstly, how does that mean he has a better chance at landing a drive? On top of that, are you saying that Carroll doesn't shut up and criticises other drivers? If so, could you give me some examples? - I was never aware

Hope Carroll makes the breakthrough! :bounce:

52Paddy
31st January 2010, 03:11
Only two places left for Carroll - USF1 & Campos. Both need money as well, so if he wants to get into F1 he needs to flash the green!

I still think his chances are high if Texeira buys out Campos - just going on the A1GP link. Otherwise, it's really unlikely. If they go hunting for pay-drivers, Carroll won't have the funds :(

N. Jones
31st January 2010, 13:36
This is question is because I do not follow A1GP - is Carroll racing there? Maybe in a team owned by Texeira? I am not sure how A1GP is structured....

52Paddy
31st January 2010, 14:08
This is question is because I do not follow A1GP - is Carroll racing there? Maybe in a team owned by Texeira? I am not sure how A1GP is structured....

Well Tony Texeira is the boss of A1GP. Adam Carroll won the season in 08/09 (it runs from September to May) for Team Ireland (it's kind of like The World Cup of Motorsport, as they say, because you're racing for your country).

To put it in a nutshell, Texeira has been linked with buying into a couple of outfits over the past couple of years but none of them ever materialised. What is certain is that he wants to be involved in F1 and he couldn't be discounted as a very potential buyer for Campos.

Now, if Texeira ends up running Campos, then he may want to have Carroll on board in order to award him for his A1GP success. I think he may have said that he wants to run an F1 team so he can promote winners of A1GP into F1 and this would be the first opportunity he has to do it.

While I don't like the idea of Texeira owning an F1 team, if it gets Adam in, then I'm all for it! :bounce:

Hope that gives you an idea of what's going on :)

driveace
31st January 2010, 16:46
thought A1GP was owned by a Sheikh who was trying very hard to off load it,as its been a bottomless pit,now if you say that this guy Texeira now owns it then its changed hands and the Sheikh has got rid.
Bet he is rubbing his hands ,cos WHO went to watch it???
If Adam Carrol was ANY good ,then he would have taken a testing job at Honda or BAR ,who he tested for ,and no matter how much you dont like AD, at least he has worked and driven in F1 Races !

maximilian
31st January 2010, 16:56
2. What year were you talking to him? 2008? He might be a nice lad, but, firstly, how does that mean he has a better chance at landing a drive?
And besides, why would one criticize a team mate who is clearly QUICKER? :D Or maybe Sato was cheating! :cool:

driveace
31st January 2010, 17:08
So did Sato get his F1 drives because he was very quick Or BECAUSE of where he was born and the fact that the teams he drove for used/had Japanese Engines
In my opinion Sato was Dangerous,and very nearly took Heidfield head off in one race!

jens
31st January 2010, 18:19

I just tried to be formally correct. :D

52Paddy
31st January 2010, 19:19
thought A1GP was owned by a Sheikh who was trying very hard to off load it,as its been a bottomless pit,now if you say that this guy Texeira now owns it then its changed hands and the Sheikh has got rid.
Bet he is rubbing his hands ,cos WHO went to watch it???

Texeira was initially appointed CEO of A1GP but became series boss a few years ago. Check out this article:

http://www.crash.net/A1GP/news/149145/1/series_in_doubt_after_liquidation.html

It mentions that Texeira is the series boss in the fifth paragraph.

If Adam Carrol was ANY good ,then he would have taken a testing job at Honda or BAR ,who he tested for ,and no matter how much you dont like AD, at least he has worked and driven in F1 Races !

1. Taking a job as a test-driver doesn't prove that your a good driver at all. The ultimate goal is to race in F1. If he got on board with Honda, how does that guarantee him any future in F1? Barrichello and Button drove with Honda for the teams short life-span under that name, and then when it became Brawn. If he is any good, becoming a test driver isn't what he has to do to prove it. Maybe he thought his chances would be compromised. There are plenty of test drivers who never got an F1 seat, amongst them: Jorg Muller, Dario Franchitti, Bruno Junqueira and Tomas Schekter all who have shown their incredible talent in other series.

2. I have nothing against Anthony Davidson at all. His experience in F1 would most certainly be an aid to the team but, given that he has only raced once with a half-decent team (the 2005 race with BAR when he retired early on), and the rest of his career comprised of sporadic events in non-competitive machinery and a half-season with SuperAguri, I don't think he should be chosen over Carroll for that alone. He has a lot of testing mileage, true. And I've no doubt he would initially looked more comfortable in the car in comparison to this year's rookies. But Davidson never struck me as a driver with phenomenal raw pace or talent and I think somebody should be given a shot at F1. If Carroll doesn't get this, he may never get to F1. Davidson is known in F1 circles and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets involved (even a testing role) for 2011.

jens
31st January 2010, 19:37
Paddy, what do you personally think are the main obstacles, which have prevented Carroll from joining the F1 circus? And what do you think could he have done differently in his career so far to actually get an F1 opportunity?

52Paddy
31st January 2010, 19:54
Paddy, what do you personally think are the main obstacles, which have prevented Carroll from joining the F1 circus? And what do you think could he have done differently in his career so far to actually get an F1 opportunity?

Funding has always affected him in lower formulae and, thus, he has never really been shown as a prominent driver. He always had difficulties raising money and sponsorship but I'm convinced he has as much talent as driver who have funding readily available. He just doesn't get the same opportunities. With the machinery he has had, I am of the opinion that he has made the best of it and seems to have a lot of determination, despite lacking in green.

I'm not sure what he could have done differently to help his situation. He has gotten as close as one can to F1 (test driver 2005), he's impressed in its feeder series (GP2) and won another prominent world series (A1GP). Taking money out of the equation, I think he is as worthy as any other rookie driver out there barring Niko Hulkenberg who I think is one step ahead. But, if money is the deciding factor, Carroll has little chance and that's why I'm excited with this news about Campos.

jens
31st January 2010, 20:04
F1 test driver in 2005? Interesting, didn't know that. How many test days did he get that year and what prevented him from impressing the team enough to get promoted into a race seat for 2006?

driveace
31st January 2010, 21:28
I can understand your enthusiasm for wanting to see Adam in a F1 car,as he is now getting a bit long in the tooth to break into F1,and MAYBE it would be good to have an Irish driver back in F1,and I hope that Irvine did not put the dampers on any other Irish driver coming into F1 as he was NO role model for anybody.
Everyone needs to get into,and to the top of their chosen sport,by ABILITY not because of the dosh they can raise!

52Paddy
2nd February 2010, 13:32
F1 test driver in 2005? Interesting, didn't know that. How many test days did he get that year and what prevented him from impressing the team enough to get promoted into a race seat for 2006?

I'm not exactly sure about the situation as test driver or for how long he was testing. As far as I can remember, he was part of some driver development program that Honda or BAR had running. When Button and Barrichello were signed as the 2006 squad, Carroll didn't think his chances of a race seat were too high, given the calibre and experience of both Button and Barrichello. So he left the program. Maybe that was a bad choice, but looking at it in retrospect, Honda never did change their line-up. Carroll's reason for making the decision may not have been far from the truth.