PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who (again)

Hazell B
1st January 2010, 20:02
C'mon, how many of you hardened and not-so-eager Who fans shed a tear during the farewell of David 'Overacting' Tennant?

Even I'll miss him after that story :wave: :up:

Jag_Warrior
2nd January 2010, 04:51
I pretty much stopped watching it on BBC America after Billie Piper left. And then when she came back, her mouth or teeth looked really strange to me - and her speech was off. I read that she tried to have her overbite fixed and I guess that was it.

But I used to find it entertaining because it was like one of those campy 60's/70's shows I sometimes watched as a kid, like UFO.

inimitablestoo
2nd January 2010, 09:17
Well done for the liking of UFO, Sir, the finest of all Gerry Anderson's creations (and still being shown about twice a day, every other day, on ITV4).

Last night's Doctor Who was a tour de force, though, and it did get emotional at times, more so for Sir Bernard Cribbins (cruelly overlooked by Her Majesty, methinks) than Mr Tennant, but it was better than Russell T's usual "Push the reset button" deus ex machina that tends to ruin the end-of-season episodes. As a general rule, the penultimate episodes have been better over the years.

There was really no need for the last 20 minutes or so of the Doc revisiting former companions and hangers-on, but I suppose I can forgive RTD for that, as it was his last episode too, and he's done so much to revive this once tired and much-derided series. And although he was only on screen for about three minutes, Matt Smith's performance was enough to convince me that the franchise is in safe hands. Although if they do bring back his "daughter", which I believe they plan to do, that's going to look weird...

Dave B
4th January 2010, 12:14
Certainly Bernard Cribbins was the star of those episodes, although for once Tennant did act rather than constantly gurn. They were decent enough episodes (and the first I've watched with proper 5.1 sound :D ) but I reckon that the DT/RTD partnership has run its course and I look forward to Moffat being a breath of fresh air.

Bezza
4th January 2010, 16:49
Don't know why your missing David Tennant - he has been on pretty much every TV show over Christmas on every channel!

Hazell B
4th January 2010, 17:24
... for once Tennant did act rather than constantly gurn.

I know a story about that :)

His stint in the RSC Hamlet involved some pre-rehersal work between Who filmings, and he was taught not to over act so much for the stage! and luckily it continued into his TV work.
You can really see the difference between his styles, and it's a thousand times better now. Too late, mind :rolleyes:

I'm still smarting at being offered damned good seats, cheap, for Hamlet's opening night and turning them down. The cash I could have converted them to is shocking!