PDA

View Full Version : Black diamond tips for an experienced skier

tannat
30th December 2009, 20:57
I'm nudging a good friend to attempt a black diamond ski run this winter as one of her 2010 resolutions.

Any skiiers out there with tips to share? She is experienced, and far removed from the 'bunny slopes'.

Any input appreciated...

Tannat

Easy Drifter
31st December 2009, 02:16
Sorry too busy preparing for my multiple Gold Medal runs at Whistler in Feb.!

Dream on! I'd crash on a 2 foot hill! :s mokin:

Valve Bounce
31st December 2009, 02:27
I'm nudging a good friend to attempt a black diamond ski run this winter as one of her 2010 resolutions.

Any skiiers out there with tips to share? She is experienced, and far removed from the 'bunny slopes'.

Any input appreciated...

Tannat

You tell her that in reality, a Black diamond run is really equivalent to a red or above average blue run in Europe, and if she just followed you down the slope rather than focus on the classification, she'd have no problem with it.

I hope you have a great time ski-ing; where are you going?

tannat
31st December 2009, 11:18
You tell her that in reality, a Black diamond run is really equivalent to a red or above average blue run in Europe, and if she just followed you down the slope rather than focus on the classification, she'd have no problem with it.

I hope you have a great time ski-ing; where are you going?

Vail or Boulder Colorado I think.

Cheers, Valve Bounce. Always good to chat with another Kiwi (I have two of them for bosses :D )

Tannat

Mark in Oshawa
31st December 2009, 13:33
Just tell her to go for it...it isn't that big a deal if she has skiied a lot...

edv
31st December 2009, 15:25
I'd pick a black diamond without moguls...perhaps just steepness. That way she can ski diagonally side to side. Just make sure it's wide enough without those pesky trees to run into.

But to really get her interested, how about an immediate reward at the bottom of the run, like a hot-tub or rum toddy?

And Valve, there are no 'Red runs' here...green circle means easy, blue square is intermediate, and black diamond is advanced.
Some of our hills here in the Rockies sport double-black diamonds and even quad black diamonds. Those require some testicular fortitude!

tannat
31st December 2009, 20:05
Really appreciate the advice from everyone.

Cheers...

tinchote
1st January 2010, 03:55
Oh, man, can't wait to get to the slopes :D

On the black diamond thing, just make sure you are not pushing beyond her abilities: it is never nice to get stuck in a run you feel you cannot make.