PDA

View Full Version : Stefan GP to fund 2010 testing with rookie pay drivers in search of superlicense mileage

Giuseppe F1
29th December 2009, 17:09
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80693

Still cant understand why this team is effectively in F1 when teams such as Prodrive and Lola are still on the sidelines?????

nigelred5
29th December 2009, 17:27

Still cant understand why this team is effectively in F1 when teams such as Prodrive and Lola are still on the sidelines?????

MONEY. Stefan has $$$ and are essentially now operating the proven former Toyota team as a buy a ride to get seat time while they test their potential entry. They apparently have the approval of the FIA, but are operating outside of F1 and hte concorde agreement even though Toyota did sign the agreement.

Lola and Prodrive apparently can't provide proof of finances to Bernie. I don't follow Richards, but I always get the impression he holds no favor with Bernie.

VkmSpouge
29th December 2009, 19:00

Because they were smart in going for Toyota's remains. Good luck to Stefan, I hope they have a good time testing next season, just a shame they can only get into F1 by having another team drop out.

maximilian
29th December 2009, 19:03
I think it's a very clever business model to be running this sort of parallel F1 setup that's unbound by the agreement, it could be a very valuable tool to new drivers, make appearances in various sponsorship liveries at various events, and they may also be able to really test and develop their car for a possible 2011 entry. Although, seeing how they seem to have their stuff together, I would still hope for them to be on a 28-car 2010 grid! Let them in!!

UltimateDanGTR
29th December 2009, 19:05
i reckon Stefan GP will be in F1 in 2011-they are actually being quite clever.

probably replacing American Joke F1.

good for stefan i spose, they seem to have the cash....

tinchote
29th December 2009, 19:41
I think it's a very clever business model to be running this sort of parallel F1 setup that's unbound by the agreement, it could be a very valuable tool to new drivers, make appearances in various sponsorship liveries at various events, and they may also be able to really test and develop their car for a possible 2011 entry.

Funny thing is that Toyota also took a year of testing before entering the grid. They also expected to be winning races within two or three years ;)

52Paddy
29th December 2009, 19:46
What's the reason for only allowing a maximum grid of 26 anyway?

ioan
29th December 2009, 20:39
What's the reason for only allowing a maximum grid of 26 anyway?

One reason might be that the pit lane isn't endless.
Another reason is that F1 needs quality over quantity and they can allow anyone with a few millions to burn to be on the grid as a moving chicane.

There are probably some more reasons worth considering.

nigelred5
30th December 2009, 00:11
In addition to limited garage space at some tracks, There's only so much room on a transport plane before it requires another plane making the trips for fly-aways.

maximilian
30th December 2009, 02:11
If they did it with 38-40 cars before, 2 decades ago, I don't see why they couldn't do it with 28-30 now.

jonny hurlock
30th December 2009, 02:48

Still can't understand why this team is effectively in F1 when teams such as Prodrive and Lola are still on the sidelines?????

I preferred lola, prodrive or even any gp2 team going into f1, rather than stefan any day. the biggest joke imo. no more 14th teams. the only reason we could have 14 teams becauce lotus pipped sauber for the 13th slot because of bmw. end of.

Saint Devote
30th December 2009, 03:30
I think it might have something to do with the idea that Bernie does not consider all 13 teams will make it to Sakhir next March or maybe even last the year.

Would Stefan do all this if there was absolutely no possibility and without a nudge and a wink from Bernie? I doubt that.

Zoran Stefanovich is not an idiot and while it is an excellent idea to make the team available for testing - if none of the teams fall by the wayside, how do they expect to enter in 2011?

Saint Devote
30th December 2009, 03:38
If they did it with 38-40 cars before, 2 decades ago, I don't see why they couldn't do it with 28-30 now.

I would say it is because teams are about TEN times bigger now than they were back then.

F1 is not the "who needs air conditioning anyway" toughies any more.

Their hands have become soft and some of the drivers are like girls - "Jonesy-boys" as his great late mate James Hunt would call him, they are not.

Sonic
30th December 2009, 09:41
Lola and Prodrive apparently can't provide proof of finances to Bernie. I don't follow Richards, but I always get the impression he holds no favor with Bernie.

Yet more Bernie BS. Could Donny prove its finances before Bernard signed a 17 year deal? No. Could Manor (before Virgin bought in) prove theirs? No.

I've always believed Bernie see's Richards as a threat to him and as such tries to keep him at arms length.

As for the test for F1 experience - I can see a problem. If I (assuming funds were no problem) went out and bought an ex F1 car and pounded round in private tests would the FIA grant me a super? Hell no! Because not being bound by the concorde agreements means the car could be any spec I wanted allowing me to post impressive times even though my toilet seat has more driving talent than me. The same surely applys to SGP?

I don't have any problem with them. If they're in great, but if not send them on their way like the FIA did with phoenix GP a decade ago.

Saint Devote
30th December 2009, 10:35
Yet more Bernie BS. Could Donny prove its finances before Bernard signed a 17 year deal? No. Could Manor (before Virgin bought in) prove theirs? No.

I've always believed Bernie see's Richards as a threat to him and as such tries to keep him at arms length.

As for the test for F1 experience - I can see a problem. If I (assuming funds were no problem) went out and bought an ex F1 car and pounded round in private tests would the FIA grant me a super? Hell no! Because not being bound by the concorde agreements means the car could be any spec I wanted allowing me to post impressive times even though my toilet seat has more driving talent than me. The same surely applys to SGP?

I don't have any problem with them. If they're in great, but if not send them on their way like the FIA did with phoenix GP a decade ago.

It is after all the prerogative of FOM to decide who they want and have to answer to nobody. Its like a radio or tv station - they are not bound by the freedom speech because they are not the government but a private entity with rights.

Why do you assume that Stefan F1 lacks intregrity and that Stefanovich would seek to compromise his credibility? It is certainly not in their rational self interest or the driver's to try and hoodwink the f1 teams or anyone else.

Secondly, the f1 teams are not idiots and would detect better and sooner than anyone else if a driver WAS trying to pull a fast one with Stefan F1 testing.

V12
30th December 2009, 16:12
I would say it is because teams are about TEN times bigger now than they were back then.

That was true, and to be honest might well be halfway true as I type this, but with the FIA and FOTA promoting "Resource Restriction", the downsizing of teams (particularly the teams as they go to races), their stated aim is getting budgets and team sizes down to "late 80s/mid 90s levels". I know that the 20 team high point of 1989 will probably never be seen again :( but it's right that 14/15 teams shouldn't be too big an ask providing they are of sufficient quality and so on.

Dr. Krogshöj
30th December 2009, 18:34
I preferred lola, prodrive or even any gp2 team going into f1, rather than stefan any day. the biggest joke imo. no more 14th teams. the only reason we could have 14 teams becauce lotus pipped sauber for the 13th slot because of bmw. end of.

Let's say it's October 2010 and one of the current 13 teams is going to drop out of the next season. The FIA opens up the entry process. Who would you give the slot to? Lola, Prodrive or a team that's been running for a year and spent that year with actual F1 testing? Choosing Stefan wont't be "the biggest joke", it will be the logical decision.

Giuseppe F1
30th December 2009, 19:07
Do peoples view of Stefan GP change when we remind ourselves that their new Technical Director is Mike Coulghan???

maximilian
30th December 2009, 22:24
Let's say it's October 2010 and one of the current 13 teams is going to drop out of the next season. The FIA opens up the entry process. Who would you give the slot to? Lola, Prodrive or a team that's been running for a year and spent that year with actual F1 testing? Choosing Stefan wont't be "the biggest joke", it will be the logical decision.
Which is probably exactly why they'll pick someone else! :D

DazzlaF1
30th December 2009, 22:39
I would say it is because teams are about TEN times bigger now than they were back then

True, gone are the days when any Tom, Dick or Harry could build an F1 car in their back garage, run a team with about 15-20 people and have a budget that wouldn't even pay Ferrari's cappuccino bill.

If you want a team working to the bare minnimum, then look no further than the only new team adhereing to the original £40million budget cap, Virgin.

Saint Devote
31st December 2009, 01:20
I know that the 20 team high point of 1989 will probably never be seen again :( but it's right that 14/15 teams shouldn't be too big an ask providing they are of sufficient quality and so on.

I agree with you - but even in those days, pre-qualifying and all the teams - it WAS just superb.

Malbec
31st December 2009, 01:37
I believe it is the FIA that choses the entry list, not FOM.

Rumour has it that one of the senior players in Manor is partly related to Mosley, hence their easy entry into the sport. Those teams originally allowed in were otherwise totally independent and politically/financially weak, allowing them to be pushed around by the FIA if necessary. Max Mosley wasn't stupid, he was changing the game so that the manufacturers would be outnumbered by the independent teams so they would lose votes and not gain majority support in their campaigns to oust Mosley.

As for Stefan F1, have they definitely got their mitts on Toyota's remnants? Even if they have, with no facilities or staff they won't have a chance anyway.

Saint Devote
1st January 2010, 19:45
True, gone are the days when any Tom, Dick or Harry could build an F1 car in their back garage, run a team with about 15-20 people and have a budget that wouldn't even pay Ferrari's cappuccino bill.

If you want a team working to the bare minnimum, then look no further than the only new team adhereing to the original £40million budget cap, Virgin.

And they will have the most interesting and innovative concept car on the grid.

Rollo
2nd January 2010, 03:39
One reason might be that the pit lane isn't endless.

:up:

In particular the pits at Monaco could not fit anymore than 36 cars or more specifically space for 12 teams. (ie one team took up three garage spaces). The Concord Agreement for 26 cars was either signed in 1977 or 1984, but I can't actually find the limiting clause which put it in place.

*1977 was the year in which the grid was cut off at 24 cars for Monaco and 1984 was the year in which grids were officially limited to 26 cars.

jens
5th January 2010, 12:49
Stefan GP can't be the "biggest joke". After all, they would be racing with the TF110's, which means that they are likely to perform fine if they somehow made it to the grid in 2010. This can't be said about some new teams, I suspect. Stefan could be a joke if they started designing a brand car now from scratch, but they won't do that. 2011 is a bit more difficult to predict, but it's too early to talk about that anyway at the moment.