PDA

View Full Version : Who else would you like to have back?

Sonic
29th December 2009, 00:21
So this is all very hypothetical but we've got plenty of time on our hands before the new season so what the hey?

Ignoring for a moment little problems such as age or speed (lack thereof), who else would you like to see back in a fantasy F1 field alongside Schu?

To start with I'd like Alan Jones back, both for his speed and his no bull personality.

Your turn...

jonny hurlock
29th December 2009, 02:01
could still happen, if he leaves nascar of course, juan pablo montoya, aggressive takes no bs, and connie

Saint Devote
29th December 2009, 02:19
So this is all very hypothetical but we've got plenty of time on our hands before the new season so what the hey?

Ignoring for a moment little problems such as age or speed (lack thereof), who else would you like to see back in a fantasy F1 field alongside Schu?

To start with I'd like Alan Jones back, both for his speed and his no bull personality.

Your turn...

There is only one driver I would love to see go head to head with Schumi and in a Mclaren or Red Bull: Niki Lauda.

"The Rat" and Schumi are the only drivers on the same wavelength. The Austrian pioneered the approach.

CNR
29th December 2009, 03:01
SIR JACK BRABHAM and his team with
http://www.motorsm.com/motorsport/auto/AUS/Oz_F1.asp

(AUSTRALIANS IN FORMULA 1 TEAMS: )

PERRY COHEN - engineer BAR Honda F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
CHRIS DYER - chief engineer Ferrari F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
TIM EDWARDS - team manager Jordan F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
JOHN HOGAN - commercial director Jaguar F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
MATTHEW JAYARAMAN - engineer BAR Honda F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
SAM MICHAELS - chief engineer Williams-BMW F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
MICHAEL NEGLINE - travel McLaren Mercedes F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
MALCOLM OASTLER - chief engineer Jaguar F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
PAUL STODDART - principal Minardi F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
CHRIS STYRING - accounts Willams-BMW F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
aerodynamics BAR Honda F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
WILLIAM TOET - aerodynamics BAR Honda F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
JO TURNBULL - admin McLaren Mercedes F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
PETER VANE - test team McLaren Mercedes F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
PETER VALE - engineer McLaren Mercedes F1[/*:m:21xsk9kv]
MARK WEBBER - driver[/*:m:21xsk9kv]

52Paddy
29th December 2009, 03:53
Drivers long gone: Gilles Villeneave, Ayrton Senna or Tommy Byrne for sheer natural ability and a brave, ballsy approach to driving.

Drivers of a newer age: Sato, to see how he'd match up to the rest of the field on slicks with the current cars. And Enrique Bernoldi, whom I always thought had more to prove - he had some highlighting moments in his short career and I think he could have developed into a decent driver.

keysersoze
29th December 2009, 03:57
Bellof

Valve Bounce
29th December 2009, 09:00

Your turn...

Sterling Moss - no question.

Valve Bounce
29th December 2009, 09:03
There is only one driver I would love to see go head to head with Schumi and in a Mclaren or Red Bull: Niki Lauda.

"The Rat" and Schumi are the only drivers on the same wavelength. The Austrian pioneered the approach.

What approach? Care to elaborate because I find this an extremely interesting comparison. What did Lauda do to have a lapdog support his championship aspirations, when did Niki crashed into other drivers in order to ....etc, etc, etc.

Love to hear your reply on this one.

Sonic
29th December 2009, 10:59
Sterling Moss - no question.

Good call.

Sonic
29th December 2009, 11:23
What approach? Care to elaborate because I find this an extremely interesting comparison. What did Lauda do to have a lapdog support his championship aspirations, when did Niki crashed into other drivers in order to ....etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, I found that statement a wee bit odd too. There may be some similarities in their work ethic but other than that......

UltimateDanGTR
29th December 2009, 11:27
Moss
Fangio
Clark
Wolfgang Von Trips
Stewart
Graham Hill
Lauda
Andretti
Prost
Senna
Piquet
Mansell
Gilles Villenueve
Ascari

and for teams:
Arrows
Brabham
Lotus (oh no wait, that's happening! well, sort of)
Forti :)
Ligier
Tyrrell
Jordan
Minardi

ah, the dream....

52Paddy
29th December 2009, 15:55
Bellof

:up: 'like'

Josti
29th December 2009, 16:41
Stefan Bellof indeed and Alessandro Nannini. Both unfulfilled promises.

And Jos Verstappen, but in a good and reliable car for once. :)

jens
29th December 2009, 18:24

Hmmm... but what about ignoring other "little problems" like being talented or having funds and witnessing the fellow forum members fighting it out on track instead of debating endlessly here? :D

Sonic
29th December 2009, 19:00
Hmmm... but what about ignoring other "little problems" like being talented or having funds and witnessing the fellow forum members fighting it out on track instead of debating endlessly here? :D

:D

52Paddy
29th December 2009, 20:40

Would love to see fousto, ioan, Garry Walker and tamburello out there. :D

ioan
29th December 2009, 22:59

Poor fousto. :D

wedge
30th December 2009, 00:21
JPM

Tommy Bryne

Yuji Ide

Saint Devote
30th December 2009, 01:36

You confuse strategy with tactics.

By approach I refer to Lauda being the first driver to actively take the lead in interacting and coordinating with the designer and engineers. During the six week period prior to the 1974 season, Lauda went home only four times and would test from early until late.

During the racing season he would closely study the competition's performance and consulted with Forghieri and pushed and molded the Ferrari team from what it was in 1973 into the team that was able to win THREE world championships in SIX years and if not for his accident, FOUR - although the 1979 car was not at all the best car that year.

I ask Pino his indulgence because this skates very close to having to be included in the F1 History section.

Schumacher's approach is the same and will be unleashed once more from 2010.

Saint Devote
30th December 2009, 01:38
How great would it be for Mike Thackwell to be given a real opportunity in Formula One in a competitive car. Now THAT would be justice.

Saint Devote
30th December 2009, 02:01
Silly me - this IS under history!!!

JRodrigues
30th December 2009, 13:40
Jean Alesi and Kimi Raikkonen

driveace
30th December 2009, 14:26
Are we talking past OR present here?
Present; Kimi,Anthony Davidson
Past; Phil Hill ,Wolfgang von Trips, and Moss,all of these i have seen too.

philipbain
30th December 2009, 20:12
Taki Inoue - none of the current crop of drivers can get themselves run over by a course car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fp2QId144g

UltimateDanGTR
31st December 2009, 10:06
i forgot lavaggi. He'd be such a laugh to watch.

F1boat
31st December 2009, 10:12
Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell.

Mia 01
31st December 2009, 11:21
Current: Kimi, JPM and Ralf S!

Past: James Hunt, Clay regazzoni and not last Ronnie Peterson!!

THE_LIBERATOR
31st December 2009, 17:55
Mike Hailwood, & then send him back to bikes.

Garry Walker
2nd January 2010, 08:44

In such a case I would be more successful than Michael Schumacher :)

Wild Dog
9th June 2010, 14:43
Bellof
Senna
G. Villeneuve
Sato
Montoya
Frentzen
R. Schumacher
Coulthard
Pizzonia :)
Raikkonen
Jan Magnussen :D

Pat Wiatrowski
9th June 2010, 16:55
Phil Hill

DBell
9th June 2010, 17:11
Dan Gurney
Jim Clark
Graham Hill
Jack Brabham
Jochen Rindt
Stirling Moss
Gilles Villeneuve
Mario Andretti
The Rodriguez brothers

UltimateDanGTR
9th June 2010, 18:12
ferrari: Michael Schumacher, Alberto Ascari, Niki Lauda, Wolfgang Von Trips
Mclaren:Ayrton Senna, Gilles Villeneuve, Mika Hakkinen, Emerson Fittipaldi, Lewis Hamilton
Renault:Alain Prost, Fernando Alonso
Mercedes:Stirling Moss, Juan Manuel Fangio
Williams: Nigel Mansell, Keke Rosberg, Alan Jones,
Lotus: Jim Clark, Mario Andretti, Graham Hill, Ronnie Peterson
Brabham: Denny Hulme, Jack Brabham
Tyrrell: Jackie Stewart, Francois Cevert,
Vanwall: Tony Brooks
Alfa Romeo: Nino Farina, Luigi Fagioli, Tazio Nuvolari

just a quick all-star super-duper dream line up. any additions I could add?

pino
9th June 2010, 18:21
Gilles Villeneuve :s mokin:

UltimateDanGTR
9th June 2010, 18:23
Gilles Villeneuve :s mokin:

as opposed to gilles villenueve :D

Wild Dog
9th June 2010, 20:14
My all-time line-up :)

Ferrari: M.Schumacher, N.Lauda, G.Villeneuve
Williams: A.Jones, N.Mansell, K.Rosberg
McLaren: J.Hunt, A.Senna, M.Hakkinen
Lotus: J.Clark, E.Fittipaldi, R.Peterson
Mercedes: J.M.Fangio, S. Moss, N.Rosberg
Renault: A.Prost, F.Alonso, R.Arnoux
Benetton: G.Berger, A.Nannini, T.Boutsen
Brabham: J.Brabham, D.Hulme, N.Piquet
Ligier: J.Laffite, P.Depailler, D.Pironi
Tyrrell: J.Stewart, M.Alboreto, J.Scheckter

Maybe i have missing someone?

Instant Mash
10th June 2010, 06:12
James Hunt or Gerhard Berger.

AAReagles
17th June 2010, 20:53
Dan Gurney
Jim Clark
Graham Hill
Jack Brabham
Jochen Rindt
Stirling Moss
Gilles Villeneuve
Mario Andretti
The Rodriguez brothers

:up: Excellent choices! :bounce:

Only one I would add to that list would be Ronnie Peterson.

Hawkmoon
18th June 2010, 10:40
Jacques Villeneuve. The man can't drive for **** but this forum was much more fun when he was around.

Schumi vs JV vs JPM! Them was the days.

52Paddy
19th June 2010, 13:18
Jacques Villeneuve. The man can't drive for **** but this forum was much more fun when he was around.

Agree :up: And possibly Luca Badoer, especially for ioan :p :

Bagwan
19th June 2010, 13:38

Can't drive for **** , but just topped the sheets in Nationwide , never having driven the car before , mid-season , at a track they've never been to in the series .
That's 1.18seconds ahead of the field .

Yeah , can't drive for **** .

You want some real fun on the track , too ?
Get him back .

UltimateDanGTR
19th June 2010, 17:18

well then considering he can't drive for ****, he must have been awfully lucky to win the CART championship in 1995 and F1 world championship in 1997.

he was a very good driver in his prime, unfortunatly he was beginning to be past his best by the turn of the century.

having said that, as mentioned above, fastest in NASCAR nationwide practice is not bad.

markabilly
19th June 2010, 18:16
well then considering he can't drive for ****, he must have been awfully lucky to win the CART championship in 1995 and F1 world championship in 1997.

he was a very good driver in his prime, unfortunatly he was beginning to be past his best by the turn of the century.

having said that, as mentioned above, fastest in NASCAR nationwide practice is not bad.
actually in 1997, I thought JV was going to be one of the absolute best ever.....and then he just seemed to go off somewhere in less than about two or three years later..... :confused: ....I have wondered if that would be the path of hamilton, but so far, it seems not.

It will be interesting if Vettel goes down the JV path.....after Monza that year, I thought the Seb was on the very same path to absolute greatness...what a performance in the rain...but now?????????

jens
19th June 2010, 23:27
The most efficient way of spicing up debates on a random F1 forum would be the battle of Senna v Schumacher.

52Paddy
20th June 2010, 02:31
actually in 1997, I thought JV was going to be one of the absolute best ever.....and then he just seemed to go off somewhere in less than about two or three years later..... :confused: ...

Well, Williams made a dog of a car for 1998. Although his team-mate (Ralf Schumacher?) got the better of him that year, one can be forgiven for not adjusting well to the new grooved tyres. And, by 1999, he agreed to step on board the over-optimistic BAR project. I'm not even saying that he did the best with his machinery - but I do think his downfall was a series of unfortunate mis-matches and unfulfilled prospect.

BT46B
20th June 2010, 04:14

OMIGOD we AGREE!!!

Hawkmoon
20th June 2010, 10:25
See what I mean? One negative comment about JV and people are firing up all over the place!

This forum had some real spice when JV was in F1 and at his best, or worst, depending on your point of view.

Tazio
20th June 2010, 11:41
See what I mean? One negative comment about JV and people are firing up all over the place!

This forum had some real spice when JV was in F1 and at his best, or worst, depending on your point of view.True Dat!! :D

Saint Devote
20th June 2010, 17:25
Based on that splendid 1984 Monaco Grand Prix, a time when not Prost and Senna were teammates at Mclaren, but Senna as teammate to the man who was even QUICKER than him on that wet Monte Carlo afternoon: Stefan Bellof.

And another: Mike Thackwell, absolutely electrifying in an f2 car on the Nordschelife, in a Red Bull or Ferrari.

52Paddy
21st June 2010, 01:25
Based on that splendid 1984 Monaco Grand Prix, a time when not Prost and Senna were teammates at Mclaren, but Senna as teammate to the man who was even QUICKER than him on that wet Monte Carlo afternoon: Stefan Bellof.

Very good choice :up:

I'll follow that up by suggestion a man with mountains of potential: Tom Pryce - killed in a freak accident way before he had a chance to develop his career.