PDA

View Full Version : Ecclestone is such a D-Bag

Roamy
28th December 2009, 06:21
now he is tipping MS to win the championship. He knows nothing
1. the cars he has no knowledge
2. MS return he has no knowledge

This guy is a multi billionaire and a total idiot - so all of us forum people should get paid for even listening to the bafoon!!!

Easy Drifter
28th December 2009, 07:32
Love him or hate him an idiot he is not.
He is extremely smart but also extremely ruthless.
Most people do not realize that not only did he once own a F1 team but at one time he actually drove race cars, albeit not very well.
He also basically started with very little as an used car salesman.
There is the story about him, unproven, and the great train robbery.
Without him F1 would not be the powerhouse it is today.
Sure he is greedy and seems to care little for tradition.
Certainly he makes many outrageous statement that often get peoples' backs up.
Guess what? He doesn't care what people think.
But those statements make the news and keep F1 in front of the public's eye.
To Bernie that is the object.
As long as people are reading about F1 it just strengthens his position.
We may dislike him but there are few sharper people.
I do not like him but I respect what he has accomplished.

ShiftingGears
28th December 2009, 07:41
Think about it this way - he just got F1 in the press.

Valve Bounce
28th December 2009, 07:51
fousto can say all he likes, but the demented dwarf will cry all the way to the bank. Basically, he is spruiking SchM because that will make him a few more gazillions.

DexDexter
28th December 2009, 08:03

This guy is a multi billionaire and a total idiot - so all of us forum people should get paid for even listening to the bafoon!!!

There must have been those funny anti- this and that ads about Bernie on telly in America since these Bernie D-bag threads are always started by Americans :D Whatever you may think of him, he always gets the $$$$$$.

Saint Devote
28th December 2009, 10:03
Bernie did not say Schumacher WOULD win the title - he said he had him on his bill - other drivers as well.

Bernie's history in racing goes back very far. He decided to give up driving because he saw that "he was no good and it was too dangerous to drive like that".

He did not just "own an f1 team". He was the team owner of an innovative and multiple world championship winning team.

Bernie is no dolt and there is good reason he was given the authority to represent and manage f1. He has made many people in f1 very wealthy.

Yes he does say outrageous things but he usually does not mean these literally.

But f1 has become afflicted by celebrity and this has worked against the fans. The days are gone but fondly remembered when a real fan could get into the paddock and mingle with the teams and drivers between practice and qualifying - naturally respecting their work boundaries.

Valve Bounce
28th December 2009, 12:28
Bernie is sadly disillusioned that he can take all his money with him when he takes that final chequered flag.

nigelred5
28th December 2009, 16:11
No but he certainly can write one hell of a last cheque on the way out without fear of it bouncing. Certainly he is a shrewd and ruthless businessman, but he's still a D-Bag IMHO.

Robinho
28th December 2009, 20:12
its not exactly that far fetched - last years drivers and constructors champs, with Ross Brawn at the helm, now with Merc backing and a complete design with no last minute changes, now with a 7 time WDC driving one car, a man who was the class of the field on the day of his last race, that was only 3 years ago. if all of these components are firing anywhere near capacity he has a very good chance.

however, i'd also argue do do Vettel, Webber, Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Massa, Rosberg and maybe another outsider (normally a surprise package at some point in the year)

i wouldn't be surprised if he at least is a contender, but i wouldn't be confident enough to actually wager anything against it, not at least until we've seen some testing (someone wil likely f*** up their design out of the top few as well)

28th December 2009, 21:15

Exactly.

ioan
28th December 2009, 22:11

Why do I get the feeling that you would be in love with BE if he had said teh same about a guy named Jacques?! :\

CNR
28th December 2009, 22:38
jenson scores just three points in 2008

so it is easy to see why michael will do so well in the same car (121 points in 2006)

Valve Bounce
28th December 2009, 22:44
Why do I get the feeling that you would be in love with BE if he had said teh same about a guy named Jacques?! :\

You must be kidding. Even little dogs don't like Bernie.

ioan
28th December 2009, 23:10

Good point. :D
What about chihuahuas?

Anyway fousto is special so you never know. ;)

Saint Devote
29th December 2009, 00:56

Bernie is Sebastian Vettel's confidente - when you have people like Sebatian around you then who cares about little dogs?

I am on the side of Vettel as opposed to you'all who are once again demonstrating a capacity for resentment for a man, who rescued this sport and turned it into the grand show loved by people like me.

And far from being disliked in f1 he is still either respected or feared.

52Paddy
29th December 2009, 00:58
There's a good book that I got off the missus for Christmas. "King of Sport" by Terry Lovell. I've to read most of it yet but it deals with Ecclestone's rise to the helm and is a very interesting read. While I don't like many of the antics that Ecclestone encorporates into his running of the sport and his ruthless regard for the traditional, close-knit orientation off-track, his determination and success in getting F1 to a place that could not have been projected several decades ago, deserves admiration of sorts. I still think he's a twat in many other areas though.

Rollo
29th December 2009, 01:01

So a seven time World Champion racing for effectively the same team which took both the constructors and the World Drivers' Championship for 2009 doesn't have a fighting chance?

What knowledge do you have about F1?

tinchote
29th December 2009, 09:58
So a seven time World Champion racing for effectively the same team which took both the constructors and the World Drivers' Championship for 2009 doesn't have a fighting chance?

:up:

Langdale Forest
29th December 2009, 12:48
+1

ioan
29th December 2009, 18:51

He heard about JV, what else does he need to know?! :D ;)

anthonyvop
29th December 2009, 20:15
There must have been those funny anti- this and that ads about Bernie on telly in America since these Bernie D-bag threads are always started by Americans :D Whatever you may think of him, he always gets the $$$$$$.

Not me. I totally respect and admire Mr. Eccelstone. F1 is where it is because of him.

Bernie never said the MS was going to win the Championship. He said that MS was capable.....big difference. He also recently picked Vettle to win the WDC. next week it will be Hamilton then Alonso, Massa..........ect. Each time it gets big press fro F1.

The man is a marketing genius.

ioan
29th December 2009, 20:36
The man is a marketing genius.

Slow down just a bit. Let's not get carried away he's a good used car salesman, not a genius. If he would have been a genius than we wouldn't have had so many money related troubles in F1.

Easy Drifter
29th December 2009, 21:24
For once I come closer to agreeing with Tony.
I suspect that BE did some behind the scenes manuvering to accomplish the Honda sale to Brawn and even more to get Brawn the Mercedes engine last year.
I also think he did a little juggling to get TGF into a Brawn Mercedes this year. No proof but it reeks of BE.
It also has provided positive fodder for the press for months.
He keeps F1 in the news with his often outrageous statements.
Who else could use Christmas cards two years in a row to get coverage in daily papers?
He makes Danica's overhyped marketing look like amatuers.
He may not always win but he gets press and that is what counts in marketing.
Doesn't make me like him though, just respect him.

ioan
29th December 2009, 21:58
Apparently Bernie does everything in F1, now I wonder what is the reason we have the others around?

CNR
29th December 2009, 22:21
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iEVNZqTOBAp4n1OFXYD9jQkPZ0Og
F1 boss Ecclestone betting on Vettel

"I'm saying it well in advance, but for me, Sebastian Vettel will be the next world champion,"

tinchote
29th December 2009, 23:49
Apparently Bernie does everything in F1, now I wonder what is the reason we have the others around?

He doesn't do everything, but for two decades he has been the one creating the right environment for many to expand their business.

DexDexter
30th December 2009, 09:04
Slow down just a bit. Let's not get carried away he's a good used car salesman, not a genius. If he would have been a genius than we wouldn't have had so many money related troubles in F1.

I think he WAS a genius but he's getting on the years a bit too much these days.

52Paddy
30th December 2009, 13:47
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iEVNZqTOBAp4n1OFXYD9jQkPZ0Og
F1 boss Ecclestone betting on Vettel

And in the same article a few lines down:

"Of course Schumacher can claim an eighth world title, but five other drivers can target this title. In the end it will come to the one with the best car."

:rolleyes: Maybe he's gone senile. He's just a waft of contradiction...

pino
30th December 2009, 15:27
I am betting on Trulli :D

Dave B
30th December 2009, 18:36

When I saw this on my RSS feed I knew at once who had written it.

ioan
3rd January 2010, 18:33
I am betting on Trulli :D

No surprise there then. :p :