PDA

View Full Version : acropolis

zatharas
21st December 2009, 04:12
i'm new to the sport, and was wondering if anyone knows what will be happening in 2010 re the acropolis rally of greece, as it's not listed on either the wrc or the irc calendar, will it be run perhaps as part of the irc support event series?

atsiotras79
21st December 2009, 14:28
i'm new to the sport, and was wondering if anyone knows what will be happening in 2010 re the acropolis rally of greece, as it's not listed on either the wrc or the irc calendar, will it be run perhaps as part of the irc support event series?

It counts nowhere because sometimes we Greeks are so ...
4 events were dropped from WRC this year and ONLY ACROPOLIS is outside IRC!
Organisers stated in TV interview that IRC does not worth to bother and that is a championship with no clear future (in a couple of words)! (now read again the 1st line I wrote...)
Some rumours say about only Historic Acropolis taking part next year.
Some other rumours say that Acropolis Rally will be done together with the Historic event and count only for the Greek Gravel Cup.
Some other say nothing will be done in Greece at all! :)
I think the Greek chances for IRC ended after ELPA 07 in Halkidiki with that fantastic mixed event! If that rally did not enter IRC I cannot see something else...

Simmi
21st December 2009, 14:37
It counts nowhere because sometimes we Greeks are so ...
4 events were dropped from WRC this year and ONLY ACROPOLIS is outside IRC!
Organisers stated in TV interview that IRC does not worth to bother and that is a championship with no clear future (in a couple of words)! (now read again the 1st line I wrote...)
Some rumours say about only Historic Acropolis taking part next year.
Some other rumours say that Acropolis Rally will be done together with the Historic event and count only for the Greek Gravel Cup.
Some other say nothing will be done in Greece at all! :)
I think the Greek chances for IRC ended after ELPA 07 in Halkidiki with that fantastic mixed event! If that rally did not enter IRC I cannot see something else...

It's not confirmed that it wont be on the new WRC calendar for 2011 though is it. It has status/history as a classic event which hopefully they will take into account when deciding. I actually agree with the organisers about the IRC. They have no clear future or direction. They seem happy to sweep up all the events the WRC casts aside but I think in 3-4 years there will be no IRC.

The best thing the Acropolis organisers can do is take a year out to plan an amazing and unique event within the new WRC guidelines. Try and get a good base/ceremonial start set up and try and win their way back into the calendar permanently. It is just a shame for the Greek fans who have to go without for a year. But it will be worth it in the long term if you see what I mean.

PLuto
21st December 2009, 15:20
Simmi, it is their choice rather to have nothing than "IRC withou future"...

GF
21st December 2009, 15:54

Is it true that if you count at IRC there is a commitment for at least 3 years ?

Simmi
21st December 2009, 18:14

Yeah I know. I think the event organisers are looking long-term for the good of the rally.

As I said in my post it's better to try and put together a solid plan for a WRC round then get in bed with the IRC at this point. I doubt they will show any more loyalty to events then ISC/FIA will do. And like I said I don't believe the IRC will be around in the long term. Maybe they think not jumping straight to the rival series puts them in a more favourable position for re-inclusion in the future.

If I think about my home round of the WRC I would be more than happy for them to take a year out if it meant they would come back with a better event.

AndyRAC
21st December 2009, 23:16
Yeah I know. I think the event organisers are looking long-term for the good of the rally.

As I said in my post it's better to try and put together a solid plan for a WRC round then get in bed with the IRC at this point. I doubt they will show any more loyalty to events then ISC/FIA will do. And like I said I don't believe the IRC will be around in the long term. Maybe they think not jumping straight to the rival series puts them in a more favourable position for re-inclusion in the future.

If I think about my home round of the WRC I would be more than happy for them to take a year out if it meant they would come back with a better event.

Hmm, I doubt they would take a year out though. Remember, RallyGB is a cash cow for IMS/MSA.

Simmi
21st December 2009, 23:35
Hmm, I doubt they would take a year out though. Remember, RallyGB is a cash cow for IMS/MSA.

Yeah this is true. I was just using it as an example.

I predict in the next few years rallies will start to make broad changes in a bid to freshen up and improve while Rally GB will continue to creep metres further into North Wales year after year and act like it is a big thing.