PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Rome Grand Prix by 2013

Giuseppe F1
20th December 2009, 22:16
Why? Im Italian and even I am not getting excited by this - would much prefer to see a US race or even if a second race in Italy, the return of Imola which I think is an awesome circuit - all about the money I guess!

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/5426.html

Rome Grand Prix deal agreed

A deal to hold a grand prix on the streets of Rome in either 2012 or 2013 has been put in place, according to Italian reports.

A Reuters news story said F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone has agreed a deal with course planners in Rome......The report added that the traditional Italian Grand Prix at Monza would remain on the calendar alongside the new street circuit.

Race organiser Maurizio Flammini: "The agreement with Bernie Ecclestone to bring the Rome Grand Prix to life has already been done and signed."......

Saint Devote
20th December 2009, 23:10
Why? Im Italian and even I am not getting excited by this - would much prefer to see a US race or even if a second race in Italy, the return of Imola which I think is an awesome circuit - all about the money I guess!

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/5426.html

Rome Grand Prix deal agreed

A deal to hold a grand prix on the streets of Rome in either 2012 or 2013 has been put in place, according to Italian reports.

A Reuters news story said F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone has agreed a deal with course planners in Rome......The report added that the traditional Italian Grand Prix at Monza would remain on the calendar alongside the new street circuit.

Race organiser Maurizio Flammini: "The agreement with Bernie Ecclestone to bring the Rome Grand Prix to life has already been done and signed."......

Maurizio Flammini? :D Now THATS a name from the past! I rmember his private Ferrari in the mid-70's.

A Rome Grand Prix is fine with me. Why? Because its not in some place without any connection to motor racing tradition.

DazzlaF1
21st December 2009, 00:37
Why Rome?????

This might explain why Bernie wants so much from the organisers in Turkey if he's got this lined up.

Jonesi
21st December 2009, 00:47
Knowing Bernie, he'll require that they refurbish and enlarge the Colosseum, before he'll race there ;)

Mysterious Rock
21st December 2009, 00:55
Bernie must have a huge desire to run a grand prix in one on the european capital cities, first London, then Paris now Rome, would be good though, Id have stuck with London personally, it would have been awesome.

Saint Devote
21st December 2009, 01:11
Bernie must have a huge desire to run a grand prix in one on the european capital cities, first London, then Paris now Rome, would be good though, Id have stuck with London personally, it would have been awesome.

If it meant that France would see its grand prix return, then I would have been pleased for it to be Paris, although modern street circuits are just awful.

ShiftingGears
21st December 2009, 03:25
If it is a street circuit that is actually good I will be surprised.

maximilian
21st December 2009, 04:11
Another boring street race in another place that doesn't need it. Go back to Imola. So will this be called "Grand Prix of the Vatican"?

F1boat
21st December 2009, 09:21
I like street courses, but I prefer Imola, honestly.

Sonic
21st December 2009, 10:55
Am I the only one pleased about this?

F1 returning to Europe and leaving a poorly attended tilke track behind (however I'm sad that its the best Tilke track we seem to be loosing!)

veeten
21st December 2009, 15:05
Am I the only one pleased about this?

wait for pino... ;) :D

pino
21st December 2009, 15:10
wait for pino... ;) :D

Sorry but I hate street/city circuits :down: so I am not happy about this.

UltimateDanGTR
21st December 2009, 15:17
i cant help but feel sceptical about this. an italian version of borelencia?

no no bernie, ignore Argentina, USA, Mexico, France, scandinavia etc-you just continue turning this into Formula Bernie Eurasia........

Saint Devote
22nd December 2009, 04:15
I'd strongly suggest that anyone in favor of this take a close look at the history of, first, CART then ChampCar and finally the IRL when it comes to street circuits. Few were worthwhile tracks and fewer were successfull.

As for Mr. Flammini, I hope he's got several boatloads of money, because he'll need most of it before he's done.

You have a strong ally: "This is the latest act of arrogance from a parasite capital city that has lived for the last 2000 years with the oxygen stolen from the other towns," Monza mayor Marco Mariani told Gazzetta."

I guess Monza Marco is not happy.....!

Malbec
23rd December 2009, 02:17
Maurizio Flammini? :D Now THATS a name from the past! I rmember his private Ferrari in the mid-70's.

A Rome Grand Prix is fine with me. Why? Because its not in some place without any connection to motor racing tradition.

Are you sure about that? I would have thought you'd have found the venue (EUR) particularly offensive given what you believe about Mercedes.

Saint Devote
23rd December 2009, 03:36
Are you sure about that? I would have thought you'd have found the venue (EUR) particularly offensive given what you believe about Mercedes.

You misinterpret.

I am against teams selecting drivers primarily for national reasons.

But if for example German drivers are amongst the best available - such as Vettel and Hulkenberg in the future then I have no qualms.

Mia 01
23rd December 2009, 10:21
As long as itīs not built by Tilke I donīt care.

Kimi, I want you back.

jens
24th December 2009, 13:28
It looks like soon half of the calendar will consist of street circuits. Well, IMO 1-2 street circuits per season are fine, but I don't want to an overabundance of them in the calendar. Usually street races have their own special aura, but if there are too many of them, this will simply be lost.

52Paddy
25th December 2009, 16:02
I'm not a street circuit fan generally. There are a handful of classic street circuits out there (e.g. Monaco, Macau, Adelaide) but, by and large, I don't particularly enjoy street layouts. I, too, would rather see a return of Imola or one of the old classic race tracks. South America is low on race activity and Beunos Aires and Mexico City have a great track each to their name. I don't know how possible a return to there is, but one can dream.