PDA

View Full Version : Past F1 controversy

patnicholls
18th December 2009, 13:08
An interesting read here from 1999:

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00336.html

which makes some of the recent goings-on seem like small potatoes by comparison.

I was particularly shocked to read that former BTCC team boss Vic Lee has received two lengthy prison sentences for cocaine trafficking (a second in 2005 after the article above was published).

D-Type
22nd December 2009, 08:28
Jo Saward writes very succinctly doesn't he?

52Paddy
25th December 2009, 13:03
Jo Saward writes very succinctly doesn't he?

Indeed. Must look up some more of his work. :up:

Interesting article there. To add to what Saward has written, there was also a case in the early 1990s (1991?) when Bertrand Gachot was given a jail sentence for assaulting a London taxi driver with tear gas! My source for this is a quiz book, sponsored by Mobil 1 and forwarded by David Coulthard (released around 1997/8). But here is a small article which mentions it: http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-gacber.html

Its kind of funny (or disappointing for him) that this jail sentence paved the way for Schumacher's entry into F1. And Gachot's ultimate demise thereafter.

27th December 2009, 19:41
"Renault did not win a title with their own car over the years. They tried numerous times and in 1983 Prost was two points away from their first world title. During the race prost retired leaving Nelson Piquet to cruise home in second place therefore winning him the world title by two points (Piquet - 59, Prost – 57). But after the race Renault had found out that the Brabham-BMW had been using illegal fuel during the race therefore disqualifying them. But Renault did not want to make a formal allegation as winning the title by default would falter the public’s opinion towards them"

http://renault.official-merchandise.com/index.htm/act/article/detail/renaultf1

To confirm this...

From "Motor Sport" magazine, January 2001 - "Generating the Power" pp 36-38

"... Paul Rosche (BMW engine team leader) telephoned a contact at chemical giant BASF and asked if a different fuel formulation might do the trick (more boost before detonation set in). After a little research, a fuel mix was unearthed that had been developed for Luftwaffe fighters during WW2, when Germany had been short of lead. Rosche asked for a 200-litre drum..."

Rosche: "Suddenly the detonation was gone. We could increase the boost pressure, and the power, without problems. The maximum boost pressure we saw on the dyno was 5.6 bar absolute, at which the engine was developing more than 1400 horsepower."

"This fuel formulation was used from 1983."

The biggest disgrace in F1 history.

D-Type
28th December 2009, 22:12
Ah, but was the fuel actually illegal? As I understand it, the FIA fuel specification was not as restrictive as it could have been and the various fuel company engineers developed some very potent, but nevertheless compliant, brews.

tinchote
29th December 2009, 09:22
An interesting read here from 1999:

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00336.html

which makes some of the recent goings-on seem like small potatoes by comparison.

I was particularly shocked to read that former BTCC team boss Vic Lee has received two lengthy prison sentences for cocaine trafficking (a second in 2005 after the article above was published).

Some of the info in the article is shocking. But in some cases, the legal problems were of the employees and had nothing to do with F1. It is unavoidable that in a business that implies thousands of persons some things will happen.

patnicholls
4th January 2010, 12:32
Indeed. Must look up some more of his work. :up:

Interesting article there. To add to what Saward has written, there was also a case in the early 1990s (1991?) when Bertrand Gachot was given a jail sentence for assaulting a London taxi driver with tear gas! My source for this is a quiz book, sponsored by Mobil 1 and forwarded by David Coulthard (released around 1997/8). But here is a small article which mentions it: http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-gacber.html

Its kind of funny (or disappointing for him) that this jail sentence paved the way for Schumacher's entry into F1. And Gachot's ultimate demise thereafter.

Yep, the Bertrand Gachot story is fairly well-known, it was 1991 and indeed the incident led to one M. Schumacher taking his seat for an F1 debut after Bertrand was in prison for two months. He had, ironically, won the Le Mans 24hr earlier that year with Johnny Herbert and Volker Weidler so things were looking pretty good for him prior to his indiscretion although made a comeback with Larrousse in 1992 and then Pacific (ahem) in 1994/5 with less success.

ArrowsFA1
4th January 2010, 13:11
Ah, but was the fuel actually illegal? As I understand it, the FIA fuel specification was not as restrictive as it could have been and the various fuel company engineers developed some very potent, but nevertheless compliant, brews.
I seem to recall reading that the fuel was tested and found to be perfectly legal. Not sure of the source for that though :dozey:

Perhaps Renault needed to find a reason to explain losing the championship to the journalists they had flown to South Africa in the confident expectation that Prost would become champion.

Other tales include team owners/sponsors such as Franco Ambrosio at Shadow/Arrows in 1977/8 and David Thieme, owner of Essex Petroleum and sponsor of Lotus between 1979-81. Both disappeared from the F1 scene without trace.

wedge
4th January 2010, 16:18
I seem to recall reading that the fuel was tested and found to be perfectly legal. Not sure of the source for that though :dozey:

Perhaps Renault needed to find a reason to explain losing the championship to the journalists they had flown to South Africa in the confident expectation that Prost would become champion.

Read last November's Motorsport over the weekend on the BMW/Brabhams.

There was no reference to Rosche's admittance except that he was miffed when he found out fuel samples found there way to Elf/Renault.

FISA gave BMW the all clear which was somewhat surprising given that Ballestre favoured the French.

ArrowsFA1
11th January 2010, 13:42
A past, and yet unresolved, F1 controversy is Nigel Stepney and the white powder. Whatever happened to that story?

11th January 2010, 19:16
A past, and yet unresolved, F1 controversy is Nigel Stepney and the white powder. Whatever happened to that story?

Remember this is now in the hands of the Italian judicial system, which is about as quick as a crippled snail.

11th January 2010, 19:22
There was also the issue where Stepney claimed there was still a corporate spy in the team, but he refused to name them..

Stepney also denied it was he who provided the info to Coughlan, which even Ron Dennis said he had!

Stepney is damaged goods, a totally unreliable witness and a proven liar....only a complete tool would give any credence to anything he claimed.

Nobody here is a complete tool, though, eh?

11th January 2010, 19:28
I get the impression you assume I actually believe he is telling the truth.. :p

No, far from it.....I believe that nobody on this forum would be daft enough to believe it.

11th January 2010, 19:32
Although there are times when I wonder.......

11th January 2010, 19:45
Well thats age for you, we all become cynics in our old age.. ;)

Well, there's nothing wrong with my memory, young man....I can remember the famous Button drive at Monaco in 2005, the qualifying bust-up between Hamilton & Alonso at Spa.....

11th January 2010, 19:50
I wroye it with Hungary in my head and Spa in my fingers.. :D

And Monza in your heart.