PDA

View Full Version : Seeing the light, Jesus, or a Popsicle?

Hondo
17th December 2009, 23:17
Jag put a picture on the climber's rant thread that reminded me of the strangest transformation of human behaviour I've ever witnessed.

I used to work with a guy we'll call Bob. Bob was single, earned good money, and lived alone. Every Friday night Bob would get arrested. Bob liked to drink and every Friday night he would go to one of his favorite saloons or taverns, get snockered, and start arguing with everybody about anything. Bob wasn't violent, didn't fight, just argued. Sooner or later the bartender would have to call the sheriff's office. When the deputies got there, Bob would argue with them. At first they would charge him with Public Intoxication and Disorderly Conduct but after a couple of months of the same deputies and the same Bob, a relationship formed and they would only charge him with one or the other, but not both charges. Saturday morning, Bob would call his Dad who come down to the jail, get money out of Bob's property envelope, and get a money order to pay Bob's fine. $56.50 back then. Then his Dad would take him to his car and drop him off. That was Bob's routine and no grudges were held by anyone.

One Monday back at work, everybody asked Bob how jail was over the weekend. "Dunno, I didn't go" was the only thing he would say. After a couple of months of the same answer, we quit asking. Six months had gone by when Bob asked if I could give him a ride home. After being sworn to secrecy, on the way home Bob told me of his transformation. On the Saturday of his last lockup, Bob's Dad and Mom had gone out of town for the weekend so Bob couldn't reach his Dad on the phone. I should point out that Bob's Dad didn't revolve his life around his son's foolishness and if Dad had other plans, Bob could just sit there. Bob wouldn't call anybody else. Then it happened. Bob got a craving for an orange, two stick Popsicle. The craving became worse and worse and he couldn't shake it. They could have let him out to go get a popsicle and he would have come back but the system doesn't work that way and you couldn't bail or bond or pay your fine to get out yourself on weekends. Bob was stuck. It was late Sunday night when Bob's Dad got him out and Bob had him stop at the first 7-11 store and bought himself a mess of Popsicles.

Finally at home, Bob decided that any lifestyle that kept a man from pursuing a simple pleasure like a Popsicle when he wanted one, was a foolish lifestyle and he quit drinking then and there. Two years later he was married and they started a family. Funny thing though, I have known Bob and his family for over 20 years now and I have never seen Bob ask for a Popsicle, eat a Popsicle, or seen any in their freezer. Just that one time and his Dad backs up the Popsicle buying part of it.

Anybody know of strange triggers to instant transformations?

Mark in Oshawa
19th December 2009, 07:03
Jag put a picture on the climber's rant thread that reminded me of the strangest transformation of human behaviour I've ever witnessed.

I used to work with a guy we'll call Bob. Bob was single, earned good money, and lived alone. Every Friday night Bob would get arrested. Bob liked to drink and every Friday night he would go to one of his favorite saloons or taverns, get snockered, and start arguing with everybody about anything. Bob wasn't violent, didn't fight, just argued. Sooner or later the bartender would have to call the sheriff's office. When the deputies got there, Bob would argue with them. At first they would charge him with Public Intoxication and Disorderly Conduct but after a couple of months of the same deputies and the same Bob, a relationship formed and they would only charge him with one or the other, but not both charges. Saturday morning, Bob would call his Dad who come down to the jail, get money out of Bob's property envelope, and get a money order to pay Bob's fine. $56.50 back then. Then his Dad would take him to his car and drop him off. That was Bob's routine and no grudges were held by anyone.

One Monday back at work, everybody asked Bob how jail was over the weekend. "Dunno, I didn't go" was the only thing he would say. After a couple of months of the same answer, we quit asking. Six months had gone by when Bob asked if I could give him a ride home. After being sworn to secrecy, on the way home Bob told me of his transformation. On the Saturday of his last lockup, Bob's Dad and Mom had gone out of town for the weekend so Bob couldn't reach his Dad on the phone. I should point out that Bob's Dad didn't revolve his life around his son's foolishness and if Dad had other plans, Bob could just sit there. Bob wouldn't call anybody else. Then it happened. Bob got a craving for an orange, two stick Popsicle. The craving became worse and worse and he couldn't shake it. They could have let him out to go get a popsicle and he would have come back but the system doesn't work that way and you couldn't bail or bond or pay your fine to get out yourself on weekends. Bob was stuck. It was late Sunday night when Bob's Dad got him out and Bob had him stop at the first 7-11 store and bought himself a mess of Popsicles.

Finally at home, Bob decided that any lifestyle that kept a man from pursuing a simple pleasure like a Popsicle when he wanted one, was a foolish lifestyle and he quit drinking then and there. Two years later he was married and they started a family. Funny thing though, I have known Bob and his family for over 20 years now and I have never seen Bob ask for a Popsicle, eat a Popsicle, or seen any in their freezer. Just that one time and his Dad backs up the Popsicle buying part of it.

Anybody know of strange triggers to instant transformations?

That is one strange transformation for sure. I cant think of anyone who has gone through that sort of change without finding God or some other earthshaking change in Karma. Interesting.....popsicles eh?

Wade91
19th December 2009, 07:58
orange popcicles are very good, chary is my favorite though