PDA

View Full Version : 32 bit windows vs. 64 bit windows

Wade91
17th December 2009, 17:20
which is better and why?

i'm gonna be getting a new computer for christmas, and the one my mom is planning to get comes with 64 bit vista and has 8 GB of RAM

are there alot of compatability issues with a 64 bit windows?

i've been searching the web alot trying to find any info i can and i've came a few forums where some people have been saying they cant get amazon mp3 downloader to work with 64 bit windows 7 and one person said they sent a email to amazon regarding the issue, and amazon sent a reply back to them saying that the amazon mp3 downloader is not compatable with any 64 bit windows

but that person later said they were able to download the amazon mp3 downloader by running windows 7 in vista compatibility mode

does anybody here know about the compatibility with amazon mp3 downloader and 64 bit windows oporating systems?

or any other programs with compadability issues? i'm a little concerned...

Mark
17th December 2009, 17:59
Well if you don't have 64 bit then you will only be able to use half that memory. So 32 bit would be pointless.

Wade91
17th December 2009, 18:13
yeah, i know, i want 64bit for sure, i'm just kinda concerned about compadability issues, but you can download single songs from amazon without the amazon mp3 downloader, so i guess its not a big deal

Mark
17th December 2009, 18:24
Can you? I thought they had changed that so everything had to use the downloader? I know because I've tried it on 64bit Linux.

Wade91
17th December 2009, 18:34
hmm.. well, i've read that you can download single songs without the downloader, but that the downloader is required for full mp3 album downloads, but maybe that info was old

Dave B
17th December 2009, 18:35
If the only thing preventing you buying a powerful computer is the compatibility with one particular download service, might I suggest getting your music elsewhere? :)

Wade91
17th December 2009, 18:39
If the only thing preventing you buying a powerful computer is the compatibility with one particular download service, might I suggest getting your music elsewhere? :)
i used to use frostwire, but after a couple of weeks of using it, i had to take my computer to the shop to get all the viruses removed from my computer :s

christophulus
17th December 2009, 18:45
Any program released in the past few years runs with no problem on 64-bit, in my experience. Amazon MP3 downloader works fine for me. :)

Wade91
17th December 2009, 19:30
ok, i'm thinking now that i misunderstood somthing i read on a windows 7 forum

The downloader software (http://www.windows7news.com/forum/windows-7-software-help/amazonmp3-downloader-cannot-install-in-windows-7-64bit/#) is compatible with Windows XP and Vista operating systems but is not compatible with any 64-bit version of the Windows operating system.

Further, you can buy and download (http://www.windows7news.com/forum/windows-7-software-help/amazonmp3-downloader-cannot-install-in-windows-7-64bit/#) individual songs without using the Downloader, however, you must wait for each song you buy to download completely before buying another song. The Downloader The Downloader allows you to buy entire albums or multiple songs and manages the download for you.when i first read that, i though it meant that the downloader doesn't work with any 64bit verson of any windows oporating system, but now i'm thinking it was actually soposed "windows 7" oporating system, which would mean that the downloader is not compatable with windows 7 but you would still be able to use it with windows 7 if you ran it in vista compatability mode

Daniel
17th December 2009, 19:45
I don't see why it wouldn't work. A lot of the apps on my PC are x86 (32 bit) and run absolutely fine on my copy of Vista x64 and IE for example is a 32 bit application itself.

Daniel
17th December 2009, 19:47
ok, i'm thinking now that i misunderstood somthing i read on a windows 7 forum

when i first read that, i though it meant that the downloader doesn't work with any 64bit verson of any windows oporating system, but now i'm thinking it was actually soposed "windows 7" oporating system, which would mean that the downloader is not compatable with windows 7 but you would still be able to use it with windows 7 if you ran it in vista compatability mode
If you actually read the thread you've linked to it quite clearly states that this program will work with Windows 7 x64

Wade91
18th December 2009, 07:15
while we're on the subject, if i wanna buy and install the windows 7 upgrade, is it automaticly gonna be 64bit? and what is the diffronce between home preimum and ultimate?

Daniel
18th December 2009, 08:32
while we're on the subject, if i wanna buy and install the windows 7 upgrade, is it automaticly gonna be 64bit? and what is the diffronce between home preimum and ultimate?
No you can't install an x64 upgrade over an x86 install, it needs to be a clean install. Secondly http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare