PDA

View Full Version : Simon Cowell owns Christmas

Brown, Jon Brow
15th December 2009, 15:54
As you are aware, he controls our minds now, and his latest Karaoke star is set to be Christmas number 1. Again. But who is aware of the campaign to prevent him from getting to number one?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2009/dec/11/rage-against-machine-christmas-no1

Normally these campaigns never work. The one last year failed get Jeff Buckleys version of Hallelujah to Number 1. But this one to get Rage Against the Machine to number one looks to be a bit stronger.

I really hope the campaign wins. Even if Simon Cowell gets money from both singles sales.

Robinho
15th December 2009, 17:23
at the moment the Rage track is slightly ahead in the charts, but the x factor song is not released on cd single until wednesday.

The facebook group has over 750,000 members, has raised nearly £30,000 for the Shelter charity and has had exposure in the press and on radio (including several mentions and plays of the song on radio 1)

i've done my bit and downloaded the track (29p from amazon so no excuse not to people), even if it only just makes the top 10 its enough to make people realise that not everyone wants to listen to regurgitated middle of the road dross. to be faor Hallelijah was a rubbish track whoever sung it, at least Rage against the machine is wholly different from the x factor guff

Dave B
15th December 2009, 17:55
I heard this year's X-Factor offering on the radio this morning and it has to rank as one of the blandest pieces of music I've ever heard, even by the already dull standards set by Leona Lewis a couple of years back.

If RATM can't beat this dross then there's something wrong with the British public.

On a tangent, I went past the Wembley studios last Sunday in the early afternoon and was amazed to see people literally camping out on the pavement - with sleeping bags and everything - to get into the audience. :eek:

Robinho
15th December 2009, 18:40
I heard this year's X-Factor offering on the radio this morning and it has to rank as one of the blandest pieces of music I've ever heard, even by the already dull standards set by Leona Lewis a couple of years back.

If RATM can't beat this dross then there's something wrong with the British public.

On a tangent, I went past the Wembley studios last Sunday in the early afternoon and was amazed to see people literally camping out on the pavement - with sleeping bags and everything - to get into the audience. :eek:

yeah but its a Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana cover, so the kids will literally be all over it.

and theres plenty wrong with the British public - the deification of Lord Co(ck)well being one of them

Langdale Forest
15th December 2009, 19:04
X factor is x-craptor.

MrJan
15th December 2009, 19:13
Couldn't care less, the singles chart means nothing to me. I won't be buying either, the X-factor one is usually the sort of thing I hate about music and I already own the Rage track.

Now if the campaign had been for this song then I'd have been right behind it:

ujZsFOGT-Ko

Langdale Forest
15th December 2009, 19:14
Jingle Bombs should be christmas number 1!

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 09:32
i've done my bit and downloaded the track (29p from amazon so no excuse not to people)

F--- you I won't do what you tell me.

Mark
16th December 2009, 09:52
But the people who are buying the X-Factor single aren't buying the music, they are buying it because they 'love Joe' or whatever they say. He could release a version of "I've got a song that'll get on your nerves" and it would still rocket to the top of the charts.

V12
16th December 2009, 09:53
As much as Rage do my head in sometimes with their overly preachy, pretending-to-be-alternative-while-going-on-about-the-same-stuff-all-other-political-musicians-go-on-about style, I'd love them as Xmas number 1, not because I care, but because Simon Cowell and all the X-Factor zombies DO care and they all need bringing down a peg or two.

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 10:04
But the people who are buying the X-Factor single aren't buying the music, they are buying it because they 'love Joe' or whatever they say. He could release a version of "I've got a song that'll get on your nerves" and it would still rocket to the top of the charts.

I'd rather someone bought a song because they loved the artist rather than buying one because someone on Facebook told them to.

Dave B
16th December 2009, 10:13
How come these programmes aren't covered by product placement rules? The whole X-Factor is basically a 12-week commercial for the winner's single which will now be guaranteed a spot at or near the top of the charts no matter how poor it may be.

Any song with that much free advertising would be a hit even if were sung by a shaved chimpanzee in a suit.

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 10:31
How come these programmes aren't covered by product placement rules?

Where would you draw the line? Pop music has always been promoted by radio and television. What about the Monkees? S Club 7?

Brown, Jon Brow
16th December 2009, 11:07
Even if you hate Rage yiou can't deny that it has made the race for Xmas no.1 more exciting than it has been since the X-factor started.

Mark
16th December 2009, 11:37
Where would you draw the line? Pop music has always been promoted by radio and television. What about the Monkees? S Club 7?

Music isn't the only example, Top Gear is another one, although technically they review products rather than promote them.

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 12:11
Even if you hate Rage yiou can't deny that it has made the race for Xmas no.1 more exciting than it has been since the X-factor started.

The charts are irrelevant nowadays. The very fact that someone can get an old song released in the early 90s into the charts proves it.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th December 2009, 12:27
The charts are irrelevant nowadays. The very fact that someone can get an old song released in the early 90s into the charts proves it.

Killjoy! :p

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 12:41
Me a killjoy? Says someone trying to ruin poor little Joe's dream :p

Brown, Jon Brow
16th December 2009, 12:58

Well I don't agree that this opportunity for Joe is fair. Tom Morrello would practice guitar 8 hours a day everyday. He didn't get a 12 week competition to win a record deal. He earned it through dedication to music.

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 13:04
Well I don't agree that this opportunity for Joe is fair. Tom Morrello would practice guitar 8 hours a day everyday. He didn't get a 12 week competition to win a record deal. He earned it through dedication to music.

I doubt Tom Morello has ever dreamt of securing a UK Christmas No.1

Dave B
16th December 2009, 13:17
I've heard this line before, about spoiling his moment. Well boo frickin' hoo. Three months ago he was unknown, this week he'll be #2 in the charts (at worst) with a weak song that he didn't write, produce, play instruments on or have any creative input in. His sole role in that recording was to stand where he was told and sing what was written on a piece of paper.

I'm no fan of RATM - really not my cup of tea - but Morello has got more musical credibility in his little finger than all the X-Factor winners put together.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th December 2009, 13:41
I doubt Tom Morello has ever dreamt of securing a UK Christmas No.1

That's what I hate about the X-Factor. It makes people want to sing so they can get a no.1 single and become famous.

I'm guessing Morello has gone into music because of his love for guitar and performing live in front of thousands of people. That's what music should be about. Not an easy way to achieve short-term fame.

Morello has got more musical credibility in his little finger than all the X-Factor winners put together.

Did you read that on Facebook? :p

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 13:54
I'm no fan of RATM - really not my cup of tea - but Morello has got more musical credibility in his little finger than all the X-Factor winners put together.

Who cares about credibility? This is pop music, lighten up.

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 13:56
That's what I hate about the X-Factor. It makes people want to sing so they can get a no.1 single and become famous.

'twas ever thus. X-Factor had just provided a vehicle to make money out of the selection process and ensure that the 'artist' hits the ground running.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th December 2009, 15:03
Well if someone told me that if I spend a couple of quid and Simon Cowell wont have another Christmas number one, then I would. So I have.

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 15:11
Well if someone told me that if I spend a couple of quid and Simon Cowell wont have another Christmas number one, then I would. So I have.

I think he'll probably be No.1 this year, to be honest. Why do you care? If you think of yourself as some sort of earnest muso then why pay any mind to the Christmas No.1, which has historically been home to schmaltzy pop singles and novelty records?

Brown, Jon Brow
16th December 2009, 15:32
I think he'll probably be No.1 this year, to be honest. Why do you care? If you think of yourself as some sort of earnest muso then why pay any mind to the Christmas No.1, which has historically been home to schmaltzy pop singles and novelty records?

Because the Christmas number one was more interesting when it was a novelty record. Who can forget Bob the Builder beating Eminem?

X-Factor has just made it a foregone conclusion. I also don't like how much of today's popular music is manufactured by Simon Cowells TV shows. I think about 11 tracks in the current top30 are in someway related to his shows. It just seems wrong that those people get record deals and my band doesn't get one and probably will never get one.

RATM at number one instead of him would make me feel a little better.
But i agree with you, it will probably be lucky to get into the top 10.

Dave B
16th December 2009, 15:33
Schamltzy pop and novelty records? How dare you sir?! The Christmas number one is a fine tradition, with songs like Mama by the Spice Girls, Mr Blobby and The JCB Song... I'm losing this one, aren't I? :p

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 15:59
RATM at number one instead of him would make me feel a little better.
But i agree with you, it will probably be lucky to get into the top 10.

I actually think it'll go in at No.2 - It was number one on the midweeks (or something) but I think the CD version of Joe McElderry's tune was only due to go onsale today, and there'll be millions of people buying it for their granny.

Daniel
16th December 2009, 18:06
BBB I don't quite get what your problem is? The Karaoke Factor is utter crap and it goes against everything that music should be.

This is a protest vote, on another forum I post on people who don't even like RATM or that sort of music are buying the single in an effort to keep Joe's bland crap off number 1 and show that real music fans are sick and tired of the hold that the X-Factor has on music in this country.

It'll be a few years yet till people grow sick of the X-Factor but rest assured it will happen at some stage, you need only to look at Big Brother to see that people are pretty much sick of it and only a hardcore fanbase remains.

Mark
17th December 2009, 09:12
Not going to happen any time soon. X-Factor is more popular that it has ever been. The concept has been going for 10 years now since Pop Stars in 1999 in New Zealand and Australia and the UK the following year.

BeansBeansBeans
17th December 2009, 10:54
BBB I don't quite get what your problem is?

The snobbery.

Dave B
17th December 2009, 11:54
According to Music Week, RATM are still ahead but their lead has dropped to 37,000.

The Climb is picking up physical sales as kiddies go shopping and grannies look for stocking-fillers.

Beans, it's not snobbery, it's people finally saying enough's enough. This protest won't hurt Joe McWhatsisface, it certainly won't hurt Cowell, but it will hopefully provide a little ray of sunshine while the country languishes under a blanket of snow!

Daniel
17th December 2009, 12:15
The snobbery.
Is that going to be the name of next years X Factor attempt at a christmas number 1? :p

Mark
17th December 2009, 13:34
According to Music Week, RATM are still ahead but their lead has dropped to 37,000.

The Climb is picking up physical sales as kiddies go shopping and grannies look for stocking-fillers.

Saturday is always the big day for the Christmas number 1. The last major shopping day before Christmas. As you say, the kiddies and the grannies will be out buying the stocking fillers then, and that's what's going to make the difference.

I don't personally mind who gets to the Number 1. I'm just glad there is actually a race on this year :D

wedge
17th December 2009, 23:16
I love my music but I really couldn't give a toss who's number one at Xmas

I gave up on the charts years ago.

Too many people are too happy to be spoonfed the on a diet provided by the daytime playlists.

Dave B
20th December 2009, 19:36
:D

That is all.

Daniel
20th December 2009, 20:08

That is all.
w00tsticles :D

AndyRAC
20th December 2009, 21:05
I love my music but I really couldn't give a toss who's number one at Xmas

I gave up on the charts years ago.

Too many people are too happy to be spoonfed the on a diet provided by the daytime playlists.

Quite agree, listen to most stations and the same songs get played ad infinitum. Boring rubbish!!! What irritates me is thay people go on thease shows just to be famous. Most have no musical ability at all. Whatever happened to doing the pubs/clubs/university up and down the country in a transit?

Macd
20th December 2009, 21:27
Not going to happen any time soon. X-Factor is more popular that it has ever been. The concept has been going for 10 years now since Pop Stars in 1999 in New Zealand and Australia and the UK the following year.

Sleeper
20th December 2009, 23:58
Apparantly Rage have done it and beaten Joe Whatsit to No1, but the only real winner is Simon Cowell who is a large sharholder in Sony BMG that ownes the rights to both songs.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st December 2009, 00:08
My 3 purchases of killing in the name were worth it!!!! I'm so happy that a decent song by one of my favourite bands is number one! :D

BeansBeansBeans
21st December 2009, 10:36
Now that it's actually happened I do find it quite funny. I read a report in the Daily Mail about their performance on BBC radio last week. It said something like:

"The band were coming to the end of the song when singer Zack de la Rocha shouted 'F*** you! I won't do what you tell me!'. He then repeated the phrase four times."

Um, yeah that's the song.