PDA

View Full Version : Campos want Ferrari engines in 2011

Giuseppe F1
15th December 2009, 10:34
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80578

"Carabante, whose team's car for 2010 will be built by Dallara, said Campos is aiming to build its own chassis in its Murcia base in the future.

He also revealed the team is in talks with Ferrari over an engine deal for 2011.

"Our intention is to have Ferrari engines after a year with Cosworth. It's all progressing well," he said."

Sonic
15th December 2009, 14:11
Good move on both fronts. Perhaps they could negotiate a partnership in a similar mold to McLaren/Force India.

CNR
15th December 2009, 22:20
not sure if they are the same that where used in the a1gp cars
they might get them cheap ?

ArrowsFA1
16th December 2009, 10:46
It does seem odd that they're thinking of dumping Cosworth already, before their car has even turned a wheel, let alone raced.

V12
16th December 2009, 10:50
It does seem odd that they're thinking of dumping Cosworth already, before their car has even turned a wheel, let alone raced.

Indeed... kind of adds weight to the rumours that the new teams were basically obliged to do a deal with Cosworth to gain an F1 entry (obviously, they can't be as blatant as kicking them out for 2011 if they do a Ferrari deal, once they are already in).

V12
16th December 2009, 16:19
I think they should decide once they have seen the Cosworth in action.

Me too, I've a lot of respect for Cosworth and I think it's a shame this rumour about teams being forced to run their engines, whether true or not, has dragged their good name through the mud a bit. Williams have gone with them out of choice, and as you say their engine might turn out to be pretty good anyway.

ratonmacias
16th December 2009, 17:16
but ferrari could sell them the whole package (transmission engine management mechanisms even some suspension parts and differential) while cosworth only supplies engines. toa team without human or material resources its interesting to buy state of the art technology rather than trying to develop it.

Jag_Warrior
16th December 2009, 18:09
but ferrari could sell them the whole package (transmission engine management mechanisms even some suspension parts and differential) while cosworth only supplies engines. toa team without human or material resources its interesting to buy state of the art technology rather than trying to develop it.

Last I looked, the Cosworth "package" consisted of a Cosworth V8 engine and an XR transmission. That was the whole point of the standard engine package: the teams can buy/lease an affordable drivetrain package and go racing.

It remains to be seen how the Cossie package will stack up. But I expect that it will be competitive. I think where these newcomers will fall short is in the area of chassis development. So IMO, Williams should be a good barometer of how sound the Cossie package is.

16th December 2009, 19:04

Erm, Campos are a Spanish team, and Ferrari have a certain Spanish driver.

I, for one, can see some marketing synergy in that.

Donney
16th December 2009, 19:07
And some certain Spanish sponsor, but even if your point seems logical I don't know if it has something to do with Campos' idea.

Anyway it feels strange wanting to get rid of the Cosworth not knowing if it is any good.

ratonmacias
16th December 2009, 19:23
Last I looked, the Cosworth "package" consisted of a Cosworth V8 engine and an XR transmission. That was the whole point of the standard engine package: the teams can buy/lease an affordable drivetrain package and go racing.

It remains to be seen how the Cossie package will stack up. But I expect that it will be competitive. I think where these newcomers will fall short is in the area of chassis development. So IMO, Williams should be a good barometer of how sound the Cossie package is.

my bad but as i saw williams was using most of the williams stuff i thought that was the case.

maybe they think ferrari is better or maybe campos ferrari is more attractive to market the team than campos cosworth

Donney
16th December 2009, 20:04
Ferrari should be a more reliable provider for the future, but that is only a should, maybe Cosworth will bring back some good old times for their engines.

ArrowsFA1
17th December 2009, 08:57
Erm, Campos are a Spanish team, and Ferrari have a certain Spanish driver.

I, for one, can see some marketing synergy in that.
Maybe, but if that were the case why not pick Ferrari engines to begin with?

17th December 2009, 12:36
Maybe, but if that were the case why not pick Ferrari engines to begin with?

Because they didn't know at the time of their entry application that Fernando would be at Ferrari.

ArrowsFA1
17th December 2009, 13:22
Because they didn't know at the time of their entry application that Fernando would be at Ferrari.
Not with absolute certainty perhaps, but when Campos lodged their entry in May Alonso's move to Ferrari had been 'in the air' for sometime. Perhaps for even as long as Campos had been preparing to enter F1.

That being the case, those looking for some marketing synergy between Ferrari, Alonso and Campos would surely have been making the link then, if not before.

17th December 2009, 18:55
Not with absolute certainty perhaps

By stating "perhaps", you've answered your own question.