PDA

View Full Version : Appeals court rules against Kentucky Speedway

Lee Roy
14th December 2009, 12:49
found this a jayski. For the folks who've been around here for a while, you'll remember that this was hotly debated a few years ago. Wish a certain someone was still here to say "neener, neener, neener" to.

Appeals court rules against Kentucky Speedway: A federal appeals court has rejected claims by a Kentucky track that NASCAR violates federal antitrust laws by keeping it off the premier racing circuit. The decision issued Friday by a three-judge panel from the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals ends, for now, Kentucky Speedway's legal efforts at forcing NASCAR to bring a Sprint Cup race to the northern Kentucky track. The panel said Kentucky Speedway failed to prove NASCAR and International Speedway Corp., worked together to with other tracks to keep the Kentucky track from getting a Sprint Cup race. Kentucky Speedway sued NASCAR in 2005 after being rejected multiple times for a top level race. The race track, about halfway between Louisville and Cincinnati, has drawn huge crowds to some of its other races.(Lexington Herald/Association Press)(12-11-2009)
UPDATE: Kentucky Speedway spokesman Tim Bray declined comment [on the ruling]. NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said NASCAR is pleased the court treated auto racing like other sports and acknowledged it's right to choose where and when to hold events. Poston said the 2010 racing schedule is set. Kentucky Speedway is not included in the Sprint Cup schedule. "However, we are happy to discuss alternatives with the track owners for 2011 and beyond as they relate to NASCAR's realignment plans," Poston said. "We question (Kentucky Speedway's) allegation that NASCAR's refusal to grant (Kentucky Speedway) a Sprint Cup race constitutes an antitrust injury because there are many considerations relevant to the quintessential business judgment of whether expanding the Sprint Cup to northern Kentucky makes economic sense in developing the NASCAR brand on a national basis," Judge Ronald Lee Gilman wrote for the court. Judges Jerome Farris and Deborah Cook joined Gilman's opinion.(Lexington Herald/Associated Press)(12-11-2009)

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2009, 00:47
At one point, I was a target for that Lee Roy. I originally thought Kentucky had a case, but I kinda thought about it and what was really happening, and I must say the rich guys who have dragged this out must have been lucky to get that rich; because smart people don't pour money into a hole they will never see a return from.