PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Simon Evans impressive in Peugeot S2000 test

RallySport Mag
8th December 2009, 09:21
Hi guys,

Our Aussie Champ tested the Peugeot S2000 last week and hopes to get an IRC drive in 2010.

http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4345&Itemid=2

Mirek
8th December 2009, 10:04
Good news, hopefully he finds necessary budget. I can see that it was the car Stephane Sarrazin used previously.

PS Just small mistake in the article. Safari is not participating in the IRC in 2010 ;) http://www.ircseries.com/html/uploadedFiles/PDF/pressArchive/2010%20IRC_%20Calendar%20Announced.pdf

RS
8th December 2009, 10:29
Who is the "new French Peugeot team" and do they intend to run somebody else in IRC 2010 if Evans does not find the budget?

urabus-denoS2000
8th December 2009, 10:31
Great news to see some out-of-Europe interest !

noel157
8th December 2009, 11:46
Think the car is the old 06 ex Peugeot Sport car, now sold to Team 2c Combronde Comp.

ProRally
8th December 2009, 15:45
I think the Evans family will be surprised by the price of running a 207S2000 in the IRC.
I hope they do find the budget.

N.O.T
8th December 2009, 18:03
usually testing is done to acumulate data to help setup the car and get experience rather than impress people...but everyone needs some publicity tricks in his career i guess

Its nice for the IRC to get someone following it outside of europe..it gives prestige and also some meaning to the word intercontinental.

pettersolberg29
8th December 2009, 19:58
Who is the "new French Peugeot team" and do they intend to run somebody else in IRC 2010 if Evans does not find the budget?

I assume this is the team that will run Sarrazin on Monte Carlo. Perhaps a whole season for Sarrazin?

johnny utah
9th December 2009, 01:09
usually testing is done to acumulate data to help setup the car and get experience rather than impress people...but everyone needs some publicity tricks in his career i guess

Its nice for the IRC to get someone following it outside of europe..it gives prestige and also some meaning to the word intercontinental.

i understand what you mean, but in this instance, the team contacted evans (from France to Aus) and asked if he would come to France for a test drive.
Like most situations these days, he needs to bring a budget... so he now joins the queue of drivers looking for $$$.

Simon has only ever contested one tarmac rally in Aus, in a S2000 corolla... but he has been doing more tarmac races in the last 12 months, so a jump to more tarmac events would be a big one, but he is electric on gravel.

I hope he finds the budget, as i assure you he is well worth a watch on gravel when in full flight !.

macksrallye
9th December 2009, 03:13
Simon has done at least 3 Tarmac Rally's in the last couple of years. Rally Tasmania twice in an S2000 Corolla (Auris) with full racing slicks etc. and Targa Tasmania once in a TRD Aurion on road legal tyres as per the regulations. He has also done a few circuit races in the Aussie Car class over here & I think he has done the Bathurst 12 Hour but don't quote me on that one. He is a driver who is exciting to watch as he is "on it" all of the time. I hope he does get the funds together as although there is a bit of interest in the IRC down here it could do with a little more exposure, also it gives us a reason to push to have a round of the IRC down here.

Tom206wrc
25th December 2009, 08:22
NEWS ???? Will Evans run Monte-Carlo in january :confused: :confused:

bluuford
25th December 2009, 10:45

Where are the shakedown times? :-P

vino_93
25th December 2009, 22:06

The Combronde's 207 will drive by Jean Sébastien Vigion I think.
Maybe Evans has an other solution ?

ProRally
26th December 2009, 09:08
The Combronde's 207 will drive by Jean Sébastien Vigion I think.
Maybe Evans has an other solution ?

Still recovering from the shock when he heard the price .... :D

TKM Jnr
1st January 2010, 02:19
I think Evans knows how much it costs to run. I don't think it would shock him at all. With the family running Eli his younger brother in international events and also both Eli and Simon running in the ARC for many years.

But raising the budget is a different story as it is so difficult to get any backing in Australia for rallying unfortunately.

Good luck to Simon and Sue, well deserved, through personality and skill. They are top people to talk to and watch.

johnny utah
4th January 2010, 11:41
Simon has done at least 3 Tarmac Rally's in the last couple of years. Rally Tasmania twice in an S2000 Corolla (Auris) with full racing slicks etc. and Targa Tasmania once in a TRD Aurion on road legal tyres as per the regulations. He has also done a few circuit races in the Aussie Car class over here & I think he has done the Bathurst 12 Hour but don't quote me on that one. He is a driver who is exciting to watch as he is "on it" all of the time. I hope he does get the funds together as although there is a bit of interest in the IRC down here it could do with a little more exposure, also it gives us a reason to push to have a round of the IRC down here.

yes, good point, i has missed those, i think he also did a 24 hour race at nuburgring last year mabey ?.

johnny utah
4th January 2010, 11:44

i believe the program they are aiming for is 6 events in the second half of the season... i dont know which ones... i think 4 gravel, 2 tarmac.

johnny utah
4th January 2010, 11:49
Still recovering from the shock when he heard the price .... :D

once the team saw his times, they lowered the $$ required per event quiet significantly from the first quoted price.
per event is less than they expected, but still has to be found... but the hunt is under way,,,, its not easy, but not un-acheviable.

ProRally
4th January 2010, 14:08
once the team saw his times, they lowered the $$ required per event quiet significantly from the first quoted price.
per event is less than they expected, but still has to be found... but the hunt is under way,,,, its not easy, but not un-acheviable.

Hope they can pull it off.... met them in Rally Queensland last year, would be nice to see some more drivers from southern hemisphere in Europe.

Livewireshock
6th January 2010, 12:15
It is hard to get sponsors from Australia interested in a championship campaign that does not involve an Australian event or is not telecast here. It is where many people have failed trying to get a break in all forms of motorsport that is European or American based.

Most Australian (New Zealand, African, Canadian et al...) drivers know the realistic costs of competing at all levels of our sport. It is like an enforced ceiling that has been virtually impossible to breakthrough for many a local talented driver.

Simon and Sue Evans are great people. A sponsor's dream in the way they handle fans and more than capable in getting results. Happy and smiling always and great for a good media quote. From a win it or bin it attitude a few years ago, Simon has matured greatly in the past few years that has been shown in his success in Australia. Hope they can find the relevant angel funding they need for this effort.

Tom206wrc
9th August 2010, 21:11
http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=10856

So any more news very soon before end of this month ??? :confused: :confused:

Mirek
9th August 2010, 21:13
It looks like it won't happen, Tom.

ProRally
10th August 2010, 06:56
As I said in post 6.... it is not easy from drivers from down under. Rallying is so much cheaper there