PDA

View Full Version : Ambrose and Waltrip to drive in 24 hr race in Dubai

Lee Roy
7th December 2009, 16:04
http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-ambrose-waltrip-to-pilot-ferrari/

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series regulars Marcos Ambrose and Michael Waltrip are trading in their Toyotas on a new Ferrari. For one weekend, at least.

Ambrose and Waltrip will travel to the Middle East next month, where they plan to compete in the 24 Hours of Dubai sports car race, which is scheduled for Jan. 14-16, 2010. The two Cup pilots will be behind the wheel of the No. 148 Ferrari F430 GT2 of the AF Corse team, sharing driving duties with Rob Kaufman , Rui Aguas and Niki Cadei. Kaufman co-owns Michael Waltrip Racing.

Mark in Oshawa
8th December 2009, 23:30
Ambrose downplays his role, but I suspect he will be as fast as the team leader if he wants to push it. I will be curious to see how Mikey makes out tho....

Oli_M
8th December 2009, 23:49
I read the first 6 words of the title and got a bit over excited! Oops not that 24!

I did hear that Ambrose was hoping/planning/working on something to run the Rolex, but I guess 2 24-hour races in 2 weeks would be a bit much!

Mark in Oshawa
9th December 2009, 03:32
I read the first 6 words of the title and got a bit over excited! Oops not that 24!

I did hear that Ambrose was hoping/planning/working on something to run the Rolex, but I guess 2 24-hour races in 2 weeks would be a bit much!

He could do it. They run 4 and 5 man teams in these things all the time. he likely drives more in a NASCAR weekend where he is running the Nationwide and Cup series on the same track....

Sparky1329
9th December 2009, 05:40
Ambrose downplays his role, but I suspect he will be as fast as the team leader if he wants to push it. I will be curious to see how Mikey makes out tho....

Marcos will leave Mikey is his dust.

call_me_andrew
12th December 2009, 05:47

I had a similar event, but I was thinking a different Waltrip.

I don't think Michael Waltrip is the best ambassador NASCAR can afford. He's in great physical shape (and has been known to run marathons as a hobby), but he's past his prime as a driver and has never done very well on road courses.

Mark in Oshawa
13th December 2009, 05:55
Marcos will leave Mikey is his dust.

I knew THAT. I am just curious where Mikey would stand. Keeping up to Marcos is NOT going to happen. Very few people would stay with him...