PDA

View Full Version : British GP news any moment now...

ArrowsFA1
7th December 2009, 10:29
Press conference due to start at 10.30am...

I am evil Homer
7th December 2009, 10:50
17 year deal!!!!

Donnington is in trouble I think...money spent, finance issues and now no F1

Dr. Krogshöj
7th December 2009, 11:10
17 year deal!!!!

Donnington is in trouble I think...money spent, finance issues and now no F1

And they even lost MotoGP to Silverstone. The place is torn up as far as I understand, and the operating company in liquidation. Maybe it is better that the great Mr. Wheatcroft didn't live to see this.

ArrowsFA1
7th December 2009, 11:12
The British Grand Prix will stay at the Silverstone circuit next year after the Northamptonshire track reached a deal with Bernie Ecclestone after weeks of negotiations...The British Racing Drivers' Club, owners of the tack, confirmed on Monday morning they had secured a 17-year agreement to host the British Grand Prix from 2010...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80466

:up: :up: :up:

It's just a shame that Donington has been dug up and left in a mess with a very uncertain future :(

I am evil Homer
7th December 2009, 11:44
Great news on the one hand....but Donnington is in a real mess....they could struggle to get anything at this rate. To lose Donny would be a massive blow because it is one of the best UK circuits around.

Sonic
7th December 2009, 11:59
Bernie should rot for this. His greed and blinkered dislike of Silverstone has resulted in the near destruction of a great British track.

That said I'm thrilled that in 2027 I'll still be able to watch F1 at Silverstone (god I'll be 47!).

I am evil Homer
7th December 2009, 12:10
On the other hand Silverstone might finally get the infrastucture required in today's modern world...combining a great circuit with great facilities.

Robinho
7th December 2009, 12:43
i think a 20 yr race share between Silverstone and Donington would have been the best result - given Donny another year to get its plans sorted - and definite deal to ensure it can get cash in rather than one of Bernies contracts you can drive a bus through the gaps in.

i don't get the fuss with Silverstone, its great to watch a few quick laps on but i can't remember many recent races that have been any good if its been dry, the track layout does not lend itself to anything other than a very quick procession. and now we are left with a Donington circuit in bits with some very interesting plans in place but no funds to fulfil them and no contracts to allow it to recoup any revenue.

i agree we need a British GP, but i do fail to see why it has to be silverstone - Brands Hatch and Donington have arguably every bit as much racing and indeed F1 history.

Robinho
7th December 2009, 12:45
On the other hand Silverstone might finally get the infrastucture required in today's modern world...combining a great circuit with great facilities.

great circuit for what - its rubbish to spectate at, there is no overtaking unless it rains. its a challenge to race on due to the high speed, but it needs something more, it can't compete with Spa and Monza as a race IMO

Bezza
7th December 2009, 12:50
Simon Gillett is the problem. Very arrogant guy and he has ruined Donington in the process of acheiving absolutely nothing. Another example of a person in it for himself and nobody else.

veeten
7th December 2009, 12:52
Donnington was an example of a 'bargaining chip' as far as Bernie was concerned. Once it's usefulness was at an end, from being thuroughly dug up and left to quandry in an unecessesary and fruitless display of Greed and Thoughtlessness (EVLL), it was all but insured that Silverstone would get the 'last laugh' on Bernie.

Should've just done the deal honestly, instead of involving a racing circuit that was really not prepared to be redone, especially by a group of businessmen (and I use the term, loosely) whom proved to be so woefully inadequate to handle such an endeavor.

As I always say, "Always know whom you are dealing with. That way, you don't look such a fool when the truth comes out." :o

F1boat
7th December 2009, 13:05
Good news for Silverstone and the sport, because Silverstone is undoubtedly part of the sport. First F1 race ever, methinks. Still I feel sorry for Donington Park.

Sonic
7th December 2009, 13:15
Simon Gillett is the problem. Very arrogant guy and he has ruined Donington in the process of acheiving absolutely nothing. Another example of a person in it for himself and nobody else.

Whilst Gillett is a berk, Bernie should have (and in my opinion) did see straight through the piece of swiss cheese that served as Mr Gillett's business plan. He used Donny and damn the fallout. Its time for the poison dwarf to go.

wedge
7th December 2009, 13:22
Donny desperately needed modernising anyway. A miracle that DORNA stuck with it. The financial woes is an utter tragedy.

Silverstone wins all round - depending if they can meet the 7% per annum fee.

harsha
7th December 2009, 15:03
great circuit for what - its rubbish to spectate at, there is no overtaking unless it rains. its a challenge to race on due to the high speed, but it needs something more, it can't compete with Spa and Monza as a race IMO

which circuit competes with Spa and Monza as a race ?

except perhaps Suzuka maybe

christophulus
7th December 2009, 15:52
Good news that we have a grand prix secured for the forseeable future. Hopefully Silverstone can finally bring the facilities into the 21st century.

Another interesting point:

Silverstone is also set to stage the British MotoGP in 2010 on a modified track.

The revamped layout will also be used for the F1 race, as long as Silverstone officials can get approval from the FIA, the sport's world governing body. If not, they will stick with the old circuit.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45493000/gif/_45493670_silverstone.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8397777.stm

Robinho
7th December 2009, 16:26
all of a sudden we believe that Silverstone can carry out the redevelopments, but it was pie in the sky when donington wanted to? plus there is a 1oyr break option in the contract, which Bernie will use to either get a better deal or force the developments he wants again.

I am evil Homer
7th December 2009, 16:37
Well aside from the fact Silverstone hasthe planning permission in place and Donny didn't? Or that Donny needed to borrow land for a car park on the weekend and has limited access.

Donny would never have worked as a GP venue and Bernie knew that when he talked it up. They were the stick to beat Silverstone because he dislikes certain BRDC members.

Sonic
7th December 2009, 18:05
On the subject of the proposed track changes I would suggest an alteration to abbey. As it stands the new track turns onto the south circuit at the chicane and then left onto the national circuit straight - I assume to increase overtaking. The problem is that neither the national or international circuit back straight are long enough to do any such thing. I hope they realise this and make abbey a flat out right hand kink providing a huge braking area at the hairpin. Fingers crossed.

christophulus
7th December 2009, 18:40
What's the total number Silverstone can hold? I heard 90,000 but that might be over the whole weekend.

The reason I ask is off James Allen's blog:

Despite a large turnover, the profit margins are small on Silverstone, just £650,000 last year.

One solution to raise the income is to open the Grand Prix to more people, but Silverstone has a self imposed limit for health and safety reasons and has ruled out that possibility.http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/12/silverstone-to-announce-long-term-deal-to-host-british-gp/

Access has been improved, so surely spending more money on extra seating and facilities would make all the difference in the long run? Self-imposing a limit on the number of spectators seems strange when the margins are so tight, especially given how Silverstone always sells out, so there is clearly demand.

UltimateDanGTR
7th December 2009, 18:58
well, at least sense is resumed in one place. now we will just have to wait till 2027 for the next major worry abou the future of the british grand prix........

ioan
7th December 2009, 19:19
Great news on the one hand....but Donnington is in a real mess....they could struggle to get anything at this rate. To lose Donny would be a massive blow because it is one of the best UK circuits around.

All thank Bernie Ecclestone for this mess.
He awards the rights to a circuit and than starts menacing them. How the F could they get the necessary financial backing in such conditions?!

If I were the Donnington GP boss I'd sue the mophead for this.

Robinho
7th December 2009, 20:11
Well aside from the fact Silverstone hasthe planning permission in place and Donny didn't? Or that Donny needed to borrow land for a car park on the weekend and has limited access.

Donny would never have worked as a GP venue and Bernie knew that when he talked it up. They were the stick to beat Silverstone because he dislikes certain BRDC members.

Donny had planning permission, and some very interesting plans. yes they had some parking problems, but thats never exactly been Silverstones forte either.

If Bernie had not started trying to wriggle out of the contract before the ink was dry, making it obvious he was only playing games to get a deal with silverstone, then Donington more than likely would have had the security of a contract that they could use to attract the necessary funding (credit cruch excepted, which just compounded the issue) but any backers saw straight through it.

if Bernie had been serious we would be at Donington next year, i agree that it was only ever a chip in his armoury and i think it stinks. For what its worth i think Donington could (and still could be again soon) a great F1 venue, and has more features in its favour than Silverstone, albeit the new layout there looks like it could add a bit to the racing.

ioan
7th December 2009, 20:30
The guy is now bankrupt and couldn't afford to take Bernie to court. I'd like to see him do it, but he's ruined over this.. I just hope someone can bail Donnington out and get it to a level where it can begin to stage motorsport events once more.. :)

I believe that the public prosecution could have a say in this if they were to do their job seriously, as this case is certainly also about people losing jobs not only the GP promoter going bankrupt. However I think it's too much to ask from someone working in the public administration. ;)

Nikki Katz
7th December 2009, 20:56
At last something that vaguely makes sense! I hope that the new track layout doesn't spoil it, it's not too easy to overtake as it is. It doesn't look like a dramatic change though.

Yeah, Donington's bound to go into administration now. Silverstone has said in the past that the new MotoGP deal was more profitable than F1 anyway, so I don't see how Donington can survive with a load of loans and a loss of both its flagship races.

djparky
7th December 2009, 22:25
great news- I like DP as a track, but it's a hideous nightmare to get in and out of the place for even BTCC events (I vividly recall the 2 hours it took to get from the M1 to the circuit carpark in the mid 90's)- and it was almost as bad 3 or 4 years ago when I last ventured there

Sure it's not perfect, but Silverstone has worked wonders on traffic management- at the WSR event last year I had no real problems leaving and they had 70,000 that day, nor at the BTCC back in August- 10 mins after reaching the car I was out of the car park- can't ask for anymore

the facilities have greatly improved, although some of the grandstands need replacing. As for the GP itself- it's no better or worse than almost any other track where it's dry- Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Bahrain, Monza, Valencia, Barcelona were complete bore-fests this year

I hope DP can recover from this, but it's lost Moto GP as well, so not sure what that leaves now really for them

I may even make the effort to attend qualifying day next year

MrJan
7th December 2009, 22:55

For F1 that maybe true but the BTCC has had some absolute classics at Donnington through the years. I've only been there once for the Moto GP but watching the support races from the top of the Craner Curves was a great experience, that sort of elevation change isn't too common at circuits these days and it will be a great shame if the circuit doens't recover to at least hold national events. With the loss of F1 money and MotoGP as well as having to repair the damage the future is very bleak.

ArrowsFA1
8th December 2009, 08:47
if Bernie had been serious we would be at Donington next year...
I don't think so. While Bernie may have used Donington in his ongoing battle with Silverstone - it's not uncommon in business to play one side off the other, and Bernie's a past master when it comes to making deals - I think Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd should take the greatest proportion of the blame for the mess Donington is in.

It's not Bernie's fault that DVL promised to fund a five-year £100 million investment programme for Donington in July 2008 but failed to deliver, and it's not Bernie's fault that DVL repeatedly promised that Donington would be ready in time for the 2010 British Grand Prix, but failed to deliver.

Mark
8th December 2009, 09:46
As others have said Donington just doesn't have the transport infrastructure around it to support F1. Whereas although Silverstone is not brilliant it at least has a dual carriageway to the door. Albeit a roundabout infested one.

I too got stuck for 3 hours getting from the M1 into Donington. The worst being not my situation but those heading for the airport who doubless missed their flights and had their holidays ruined.

ShiftingGears
8th December 2009, 11:13
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80477

New layout proposed.

AndyRAC
8th December 2009, 12:17
Instead of worrying about layouts, start thinking of their customers, i;e start building proper Grandstands and facilities for the fans.

Sonic
8th December 2009, 14:06
Glad to see they listened to me (post 19) and made abbey a flat out right hand kink ;)

Gonna be a great place to watch now. The grandstands at maggots/becketts will now get to see the cars twice a lap.

Good work silverstone

I am evil Homer
8th December 2009, 15:28
The new facilites are marked on that map - you'd assume they are permanent grandstands for F1 and MotoGP. Wonder if BTCC would also run this track config at any point?

UltimateDanGTR
8th December 2009, 16:31
The new facilites are marked on that map - you'd assume they are permanent grandstands for F1 and MotoGP. Wonder if BTCC would also run this track config at any point?

id doubt the BTCC would run on the new track. its longer than the current grand prix layout which the BTCC don't run, so i can't see why the BTCC would run on a track longer than the track that they don't run on anyway now. they didnt run on the donny gp layout either for a few years now, and that isnt exactly the longest track in the world either.

Dave B
8th December 2009, 16:55
Instead of worrying about layouts, start thinking of their customers, i;e start building proper Grandstands and facilities for the fans.
As I understand it, the new layout will allow more grandstands to be built. No point building new facilities if you'd then have to demolish them when you upgrade the track. :)

Robinho
8th December 2009, 17:03
For F1 that maybe true but the BTCC has had some absolute classics at Donnington through the years. I've only been there once for the Moto GP but watching the support races from the top of the Craner Curves was a great experience, that sort of elevation change isn't too common at circuits these days and it will be a great shame if the circuit doens't recover to at least hold national events. With the loss of F1 money and MotoGP as well as having to repair the damage the future is very bleak.

i meant silverstone was rubbish to spectate at, Donny is excellent, you can see more than one corner!

Robinho
8th December 2009, 17:10
great news- I like DP as a track, but it's a hideous nightmare to get in and out of the place for even BTCC events (I vividly recall the 2 hours it took to get from the M1 to the circuit carpark in the mid 90's)- and it was almost as bad 3 or 4 years ago when I last ventured there

Sure it's not perfect, but Silverstone has worked wonders on traffic management- at the WSR event last year I had no real problems leaving and they had 70,000 that day, nor at the BTCC back in August- 10 mins after reaching the car I was out of the car park- can't ask for anymore

the facilities have greatly improved, although some of the grandstands need replacing. As for the GP itself- it's no better or worse than almost any other track where it's dry- Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Bahrain, Monza, Valencia, Barcelona were complete bore-fests this year

I hope DP can recover from this, but it's lost Moto GP as well, so not sure what that leaves now really for them

I may even make the effort to attend qualifying day next year

Agree, silverstones access is excellent....now. its not so many years ago it was a complete shambles, with huge queues, flooded car parks and hours wasted for spectators. but it improved, and got the access required. why should Donington not be afforded the same opportunity to improve. the immediate transport access is far superior at Donington, its just the last coupleof miles of single carriageway that lets it down at the moment. that could have been cured.

Donington F12 2010 never stood a chance. Bernie didn't really want it, the investirs knew this and would never have pumped in the required money without a proper contract that the race was happening, although if we'd not been in credit crunch that maybe wouldn't have been such an issue.

it was poorly managed at Donington's end also, the press were against it and the fans were largly anti-Donington from the day it was announced, either complaining about the traffic or exhibiting a typicaly British "Can't do" attitude which makes this country a joke these days - its no wonder the place is a muddy hole now.