PDA

View Full Version : Interesting times ahead....

Robinho
4th December 2009, 20:11
...for DTM and Japanese Super GT possibly linking up - 2 of the more spectacular tintop series, could create a very interesting and watchable series

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80436

Eurotech
5th December 2009, 17:50
now that would be interesting to watch

kmchow
9th December 2009, 05:24
I think it's a good idea for Super GT and DTM to jointly run under a set of standardized rules. More series means more variety and also greater financial attraction to manufacturers and teams alike.

I am evil Homer
9th December 2009, 12:26
I don't consider either series to be 'Touring Cars'...they're purpose built GT racers closer to the LMS than tin tops. Sadly the same could be said of V8s these days

thetrooper_uk
10th December 2009, 11:07
I'm not to keen to be honest. It seems like the DTM will have to fall in with the GT rules rather than a fair merge. Also I don't like the fact that the FIA will be involved as we all know what happened last time the FIA got involved with the DTM.

wedge
10th December 2009, 13:08
How do you define a Touring Car?

There were cars that were blatantly GTs that raced in Group A like the TWR Jag XJS.

I think DTM and Super GTs should definitely not mix. I've always dreamed of DTM and V8SC coming together for universal rules.

Eurotech
10th December 2009, 18:14
I would say that a car in only really a 'Touring Car' if it is:

1) Based on a standard family saloon/hatchback/coupe that has 5 seats
2) The only Aerodynamics should be a front splitter and rear spoiler
3) The chassis should be the same as the road going counterpart
4) It should only have an engine that is available on the roud going counterpart
5) The engine should really only be 2 litre or less (unless in Aussie V8s etc)
6) Their championship should have the words 'Touring', 'Saloon' or 'Production' in the title

This is the Touring Car gospel according to Eurotech ;)

Rollo
10th December 2009, 22:48
I would say that a car in only really a 'Touring Car' if it is:

1) Based on a standard family saloon/hatchback/coupe that has 5 seats
2) The only Aerodynamics should be a front splitter and rear spoiler
3) The chassis should be the same as the road going counterpart
4) It should only have an engine that is available on the roud going counterpart
5) The engine should really only be 2 litre or less (unless in Aussie V8s etc)
6) Their championship should have the words 'Touring', 'Saloon' or 'Production' in the title

This is the Touring Car gospel according to Eurotech ;)

V8 Supercars fail on all six counts; the DTM fails on 5 counts.

Really the definition of a Touring Car as opposed to a GT car is really in name only. Touring Cars used to be based on the principle that you could take a family hack from the showroom and go racing in it.

I am evil Homer
11th December 2009, 10:06
V8s are closer to Nascar anyway when the rules are written to essentially only include 2 manufacturers.

Wasted Talent
11th December 2009, 17:32
How do you define a Touring Car?

There were cars that were blatantly GTs that raced in Group A like the TWR Jag XJS.

I think DTM and Super GTs should definitely not mix. I've always dreamed of DTM and V8SC coming together for universal rules.

XJS had four seats - probably with more room in the back than the BMW 635CSi's they were racing against.

Reminds me of the times when Touring Car racing was superb - lots of variety and racing all down the field...........

WT

Rollo
13th December 2009, 21:59
XJS had four seats - probably with more room in the back than the BMW 635CSi's they were racing against.

If you go back further to Group C, the Falcon was also a two-door coupe, except that it had a 5.8L V8 as opposed to the 5.3L V12 in the Jaguar.

We'll never know how the Jaguar would have done in Group C trim as opposed to the Commodores and Falcons, Uncle Tom stalled the car on the line and was firmly thumped in the rear.