PDA

View Full Version : Hirvonen with fiesta s2000 at MONTE!

WRC1
4th December 2009, 10:54
Pressrelease from M-Sport

wrc star HIRVONEN TO DEBUT NEW FIESTA S2000 IN MONTE CARLO RALLY

4 December 2009 – Ford's FIA World Rally Championship runners-up, Mikko Hirvonen and Jarmo Lehtinen, will drive the all-new Ford Fiesta S2000 rally car, in what will be its competitive debut, in the famous Monte Carlo Rally early next year.

The Finns will use the five-day rally as a key part of their preparation for the 2010 WRC, which starts in February, while showcasing the exciting Fiesta S2000 rally car for the first time in competition. The car has been developed by Ford's rally partner, M-Sport, and made its first appearance as a safety car in November's Rally of Scotland which, like the Monte Carlo Rally, is not part of the FIA World Rally Championship.

Hirvonen, who missed out in the 2009 season on a maiden WRC drivers' title by just one point, has tested the Fiesta S2000 for the first time in the south of France this week.

"The Fiesta S2000 looks and sounds fantastic. It's great to finally drive it, be part of the development of a totally new car and I was surprised how quickly I got used to driving it. I was impressed by how good the setup and the chassis are and that allowed me to push really hard straight away. The conditions here in France have been difficult but even with a changing grip level I have been able to drive in a very committed way. It's been great to work with Christian and the team and to have had a positive input to the new project," said 29-year-old Hirvonen.

"I've driven the Monte Carlo Rally five times previously, so I'm familiar with the roads and the conditions. There are almost four months between the final round of 2009 and the start of the 2010 season, so this will be ideal for getting my mind back into competition mode."

"The 2010 WRC season begins almost a month later than usual so the Monte Carlo Rally will provide a perfect warm-up for Mikko," explained Ford of Europe's motorsport chief, Gerard Quinn. "It's also a great test opportunity. Road conditions usually vary between dry asphalt and snow or ice. There are four asphalt rallies in the 2010 series, so it will give Mikko valuable practice on that surface. If the weather is wintery, it will also be a good rehearsal for the WRC's first round in Sweden."

M-Sport managing director and BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team director Malcolm Wilson said the Fiesta S2000 was due for homologation in January, so the Monte Carlo Rally provided a perfect opportunity for the car's competition debut.

"Ford has a long association with the Monte Carlo Rally, which we won in 2006 with Marcus Grönholm in a Focus RS World Rally Car. It remains a legendary event and will provide spectators with an exciting chance to see the Fiesta S2000 in competitive action over classic stages such as the Col de Turini. Competition is the true challenge for any new car, and Mikko's feedback on its performance will prove valuable for our development programme," he added.

The Monte Carlo Rally will take place from January 19-23, 2010

reg

wrc1

Camelopard
4th December 2009, 11:09
Pressrelease from M-Sport

wrc star HIRVONEN TO DEBUT NEW FIESTA S2000 IN MONTE CARLO RALLY

4 December 2009 – Ford's FIA World Rally Championship runners-up, Mikko Hirvonen and Jarmo Lehtinen, will drive the all-new Ford Fiesta S2000 rally car, in what will be its competitive debut, in the famous Monte Carlo Rally early next year.

The Finns will use the five-day rally as a key part of their preparation for the 2010 WRC, which starts in February, while showcasing the exciting Fiesta S2000 rally car for the first time in competition. The car has been developed by Ford's rally partner, M-Sport, and made its first appearance as a safety car in November's Rally of Scotland which, like the Monte Carlo Rally, is not part of the FIA World Rally Championship.

Hirvonen, who missed out in the 2009 season on a maiden WRC drivers' title by just one point, has tested the Fiesta S2000 for the first time in the south of France this week.

"The Fiesta S2000 looks and sounds fantastic. It's great to finally drive it, be part of the development of a totally new car and I was surprised how quickly I got used to driving it. I was impressed by how good the setup and the chassis are and that allowed me to push really hard straight away. The conditions here in France have been difficult but even with a changing grip level I have been able to drive in a very committed way. It's been great to work with Christian and the team and to have had a positive input to the new project," said 29-year-old Hirvonen.

"I've driven the Monte Carlo Rally five times previously, so I'm familiar with the roads and the conditions. There are almost four months between the final round of 2009 and the start of the 2010 season, so this will be ideal for getting my mind back into competition mode."

"The 2010 WRC season begins almost a month later than usual so the Monte Carlo Rally will provide a perfect warm-up for Mikko," explained Ford of Europe's motorsport chief, Gerard Quinn. "It's also a great test opportunity. Road conditions usually vary between dry asphalt and snow or ice. There are four asphalt rallies in the 2010 series, so it will give Mikko valuable practice on that surface. If the weather is wintery, it will also be a good rehearsal for the WRC's first round in Sweden."

M-Sport managing director and BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team director Malcolm Wilson said the Fiesta S2000 was due for homologation in January, so the Monte Carlo Rally provided a perfect opportunity for the car's competition debut.

"Ford has a long association with the Monte Carlo Rally, which we won in 2006 with Marcus Grönholm in a Focus RS World Rally Car. It remains a legendary event and will provide spectators with an exciting chance to see the Fiesta S2000 in competitive action over classic stages such as the Col de Turini. Competition is the true challenge for any new car, and Mikko's feedback on its performance will prove valuable for our development programme," he added.

The Monte Carlo Rally will take place from January 19-23, 2010

reg

wrc1

Good for Ford, there is more than one way to skin a cat.....

cali
4th December 2009, 11:19
Now we can see his pace against IRC regulars. It will be very interesting Monte.

Abarth
4th December 2009, 11:25
How many other Fiestas will we see in Monte ?

modri dirkac
4th December 2009, 11:53
Some. The question is how many Abarth's we will see in Monte? :confused:

Buzz Lightyear
4th December 2009, 14:05
Ford vs. Skoda vs. Peugeot
Hirvonen vs. Kopecky vs. Hanninen vs. Meeke vs. Ogier/Loeb?
Can't wait!

cali
4th December 2009, 14:31
Ford vs. Skoda vs. Peugeot
Hirvonen vs. Kopecky vs. Hanninen vs. Meeke vs. Ogier/Loeb?
Can't wait!
I think we should add Proton also in this fight - they maybe are not so strong, but sometimes have shown good results.

HaCo
4th December 2009, 15:24
According to some here on the forum, the IRC boys will be miles away from Hirvonen, time to prove their right.

Sulland
4th December 2009, 16:26
Some. The question is how many Abarth's we will see in Monte? :confused:

Few, but on the other hand the price on the early ones are dropping, so maybe more will have the budget ? (Down 100 000 Euro from new)

It will be cool to see the level btw Mikko and the IRC regulars !

Helstar
4th December 2009, 16:32
According to some here on the forum, the IRC boys will be miles away from Hirvonen, time to prove their right.
You're forgetting also Loeb if he joins ... so Loeb and Hirvonen first and second, then at 3 hours the rest (uhmmm what are their names ? don't remember =) -sarcasm light on- !).

Sulland
4th December 2009, 17:02
So Loeb in 207 or C3 R3T ?

Mirek
4th December 2009, 17:04
DS3 R3T won't be homologated until summer.

Juha_Koo
4th December 2009, 18:05

If Fiesta is competitive and Mikko is allowed to push, then he is indeed miles ahead of IRC boys. There's no doubt about it and whoever says something different is embarrasing himself... :)

RS
4th December 2009, 18:07
If Fiesta is competitive and Mikko is allowed to push, then he is indeed miles ahead of IRC boys. There's no doubt about it and whoever says something different is embarrasing himself... :)

Brave!

HaCo
4th December 2009, 18:15
Very brave indeed, let's hope for a great battle and victory for the underdogs! :D :D :D

J4MIE
4th December 2009, 19:11
Hope it goes well, will be interesting to see.

Remember though, when Ireland had its first WRC round, some people were saying that the local Irish were the best tarmac drivers in the world and would show the WRC boys how to drive......... did any of them get into the top 10?? There is a HUGE margin between WRC and any other championship, possibly I would even admit the IRC, that is why it is so difficult for anyone to come in and make an instant impression.

I will watch Monte with great interest :up:

noel157
4th December 2009, 19:42
RMC will certainly be very interesting. Will Hirvonen be miles ahead of the best IRC driver? No and if Meeke decides he needs to he will take the fight to Mikko. But bear in mind the Ford is on a one off IRC outing, not the championship.
Of course the Fiesta might only be on Proton pace but Hirvonen's speed and experience will make up for any lack of performance. Whatever happens it will indeed be a great event and I don't do embarrassment.

One other point, for someone who supposedly did most of the testing in Ford's new S2K car Papa Wilson hasn't much faith in his son.

Simmi
4th December 2009, 19:52
It depends who PSA send really. If Citroen don't send any of their top boys then really it's gonna be Kopecky and Meeke against Mikko. I'd say possibly Hanninen also but if people think guys like Sarrazin, Vouilloz, Loix etc like be a threat - I just don't see it.

I think if the Ford has a trouble free run then it should be a good fight. But it will definately answer a few questions. It will be the most intriguing rally since.... Monte Carlo 09!!!

Above all through it is worth remembering that in last years rally pace counted for nothing. With all the punctures and accidents it will be a smart driver who probably takes the win.

RS
4th December 2009, 19:52
One other point, for someone who supposedly did most of the testing in Ford's new S2K car Papa Wilson hasn't much faith in his son.

I suspect that after Scotland, Malcolm realised he would need to send Mikko to Monte if he wanted to win.

I expect the Fiesta to be bang on the pace. M-Sport are an experienced team and the Fiesta is running to the latest regulations (wider) and I don't think anyone else will be for Monte.

Honestly, I expect Mikko to be able to fight for the win but I don't think the "gap" will be as big as some people expect it to be.

Simmi
4th December 2009, 19:56

There's testing and then there's the donkey work. I think Malcolm is doing the best possible thing for his son and is keeping him well away from the Monte. I don't think it has anything to do with faith - it's just simple who the faster driver is.

I actually bet if Matt had been offered this drive he would have been very aprehensive - maybe even turned it down. There will be some intense spotlight on this car.

noel157
4th December 2009, 20:01
There's testing and then there's the donkey work. I think Malcolm is doing the best possible thing for his son and is keeping him well away from the Monte. I don't think it has anything to do with faith - it's just simple who the faster driver is.

I actually bet if Matt had been offered this drive he would have been very aprehensive - maybe even turned it down. There will be some intense spotlight on this car.

Good point and I agree, best to keep the boy well away from the place.

dimviii
4th December 2009, 20:04
I suspect that after Scotland, Malcolm realised he would need to send Mikko to Monte if he wanted to win.

I expect the Fiesta to be bang on the pace. M-Sport are an experienced team and the Fiesta is running to the latest regulations (wider) and I don't think anyone else will be for Monte.

Honestly, I expect Mikko to be able to fight for the win but I don't think the "gap" will be as big as some people expect it to be.

my opinion is that Mikko has to be extremely brave to follow Meeke-Hanninen-Kopecky-Sarrazin in Monte.Without problems-flat tyres i except all them in front of him.

noel157
4th December 2009, 20:04

Don't think the wide body will have much influence unless we're talking dry asphalt which I suspect not.

Simmi
4th December 2009, 20:16
Don't think the wide body will have much influence unless we're talking dry asphalt which I suspect not.

Might make a good snowplow though!

Helstar
4th December 2009, 20:43
I suggest you the first excuse if something different happens: "oh no the Fiesta is a young car it's not developed like the 207 or the Fabia ! It's obvious that he didn't beat those unknown IRC drivers !"

noel157
4th December 2009, 20:49
I suggest you the first excuse if something different happens: "oh no the Fiesta is a young car it's not developed like the 207 or the Fabia ! It's obvious that he didn't beat those unknown IRC drivers !"

Or "those unknown IRC drivers have already done a season in the IRC, you can't expect Hirvonen to just step in a new car and win especially as he hasn't done the rally for 2 years but he tried hard..."

RS
4th December 2009, 20:53
Hehe, don't temp fate guys or Mikko might 'do an Ogier' and drive slow the whole rally and end up winning :D

N.O.T
4th December 2009, 20:59
i cannot see hirvonen winning monte in the fiesta.....Ford produces those spin off cars to tempt the useless privateers to make malcom rich so he can sponsor his son to ridicule himself.....remember the s1600 ??

Simmi
4th December 2009, 21:26
i cannot see hirvonen winning monte in the fiesta.....Ford produces those spin off cars to tempt the useless privateers to make malcom rich so he can sponsor his son to ridicule himself.....remember the s1600 ??

S1600 wasn't initially designed and built by M-Sport.

Francis44
4th December 2009, 21:28

Your argument fails, so do you!!!! I am sure M-Sport builded a great car because this may be their next car for the WRC.

Juha_Koo
4th December 2009, 23:04

No. Absolutely no. Please read my message before making those kind of allegations. As I said, if Fiesta is competitive, then Mikko will be ahead. If it's like Proton at the moment, how could Mikko be ahead? I might be brave with my opinions, but not stupid.

Or "those unknown IRC drivers have already done a season in the IRC, you can't expect Hirvonen to just step in a new car and win especially as he hasn't done the rally for 2 years but he tried hard..."

Blaah blaah... Just as Jamie talked about the Irish drivers being hyped before the 2007 Rally Ireland. WRC guys are masters of adaptation.

There's no way I could make any excuses here on the forum during Monte because most probably I'll be in a full camo suit freezing in the middle of the forest listening to corporal's shouting. :uhoh:

:D

Macd
4th December 2009, 23:22
Well if he doesn't win he will look like a fool and the car will look crap. If it cant win the the hands of the world number two then it will never win.

Simmi
4th December 2009, 23:55
Well if he doesn't win he will look like a fool and the car will look crap. If it cant win the the hands of the world number two then it will never win.

You make it sound like the car is 4 years old and fully developed!

Helstar
5th December 2009, 04:37
No. Absolutely no. Please read my message before making those kind of allegations. As I said, if Fiesta is competitive, then Mikko will be ahead. If it's like Proton at the moment, how could Mikko be ahead? I might be brave with my opinions, but not stupid.

You might not be stupid, but certainly little bit arrogant. I would be more cautious and wait for the rally before talking about a sure 'domination' ... and if that is not enough you put the ace on the table with "whoever says something different is embarassing himself" ... come on, who's embarassing who ? ^^

Originally Posted by Juha_Koo
There's no doubt about it and whoever says something different is embarrasing himself...

cali
5th December 2009, 08:45
You might not be stupid, but certainly little bit arrogant. I would be more cautious and wait for the rally before talking about a sure 'domination' ... and if that is not enough you put the ace on the table with "whoever says something different is embarassing himself" ... come on, who's embarassing who ? ^^
And please remember, Hirvonen should be "miles ahead"! Not just winning, but winning by a big margin. Hope that we have the top cream of IRC regulars at the start, so finns do not have any excuses for not being "miles ahead". :D And ofcourse we have the possibility that the new Fiesta S2000 will be very crap (not likely, after seeing some testing footage).

Personally I think we could have a very interesting battle ahead and remember, that Hirvonen is no Loeb, specially on tarmac. If we would have a race on gravel, I would have no doubts about Hirvonen beating IRC regulars. So this battle between him and IRC guys could be more intense.

Wittmanello
5th December 2009, 09:15
I guess the thousands of test kilometers will also help Hirvonen setting the pace @ monte...
Who else could compete with this advantage added to his experience in the WRC.
don´t be kidding yourselve if you do nothing else for the last 10 years as driving wrcs at tests and rallies you will be faster than the guys who try desperatley to do 6 rallies a year with no proper testing....

cali
5th December 2009, 09:20
I guess the thousands of test kilometers will also help Hirvonen setting the pace @ monte...
Who else could compete with this advantage added to his experience in the WRC.
don´t be kidding yourselve if you do nothing else for the last 10 years as driving wrcs at tests and rallies you will be faster than the guys who try desperatley to do 6 rallies a year with no proper testing....
Very true!

But I still belive that those amateurs are not "pushovers" and IRC field has very good talent IMHO.

Wittmanello
5th December 2009, 09:22
Very true!

But I still belive that those amateurs are not "pushovers" and IRC field has very good talent IMHO.

:)

cannyboy
5th December 2009, 10:24
Meeke for the win :)

Should be a great event

Cloverleaf
5th December 2009, 11:20
I wonder who will drive the other fiesta to compare it to Hirvonen's times.
Heard any rumors about any privateer to drive a fiesta in monte?

Buzz Lightyear
5th December 2009, 11:24

Blaah blaah... Just as Jamie talked about the Irish drivers being hyped before the 2007 Rally Ireland. WRC guys are masters of adaptation.

There's no way I could make any excuses here on the forum during Monte because most probably I'll be in a full camo suit freezing in the middle of the forest listening to corporal's shouting. :uhoh:

:D

If you talking about Ireland, didnt the road turn to paste after 4 or 5 cars? The only stage of the rally that wasnt a bog hole.. was the SSS, any you know what happened there.

Anyways, this will be a great comparison, and dis-spell the myth that IRC is a second rate championship, with second rate drivers.. as the Finn would like us believe.

The Fiesta i'd say is well sorted, so and Mikko is on top of his game, and shouldnt need any more than 3/4 days testing to get on-top of the car.

The idea of S2000, is that no one car is going to be massively faster than the other, so I think Ford will have done a good job to have a car that is as fast as a Peugeot/Skoda.. straigh out of the box.

I predict that Mikko will be in for a very tight race between Meeke, Hanninen and Kopecky. PSA will defainlty send Loeb now, and if there is one driver who can give it to the IRC guys, its Loeb.