PDA

View Full Version : Poignant Anniversaries

Saint Devote
29th November 2009, 16:44
Today marks the 34th [Nov 29 1975] anniversaries of the deaths in an air crash of Graham Hill and Tony Brise who, along with Andy Smallman - designer, Ray Brimble - team manager, mechanics Tony Alcock and Terry Richards returning from winter testing during the good old days of Paul Ricard crashed into Arkley Golf Course.

Hill was a FIVE times Monte Carlo champion, TWICE world champion, Le Mans 24 hour winner and Indy 500 winner - the greatest all round achieving driver in racing history.

The twenty-three year old Tony Brise was the Lewis Hamilton of the day. In 1975 he drove his first race for Williams and then the Hill. The car would not qualify well but Tony Brise in such a sublime way would work his way up the field and into seventh or sixth place.

A immensely confident and competent driver - he was often mistaken as being arrogant. I remember him well in that orange Modus as he swept the f3 championships.

I have a lovely photo of the team at Silverstone standing around the absolutely beautiful Hill 02 which never got to race and Tony in the car.

They might have been along the lines of the Brawn team in 1976, not beating Mclaren and Ferrari but challenging them with Tony Brise driving.

Saint Devote
29th November 2009, 18:35
Another Nov 29 anniversary some of you here may appreciate - the death in 1996 of the great motor racing journalist Denis Jenkinson.

He was the co-driver in Mille Miglia's alongside Sir Stirling Moss.

For me Jenks and Pete Lyons [Autosport grand prix editor] are still the benchmarks in racing journalism especially given the Lewis Hamilton sychophant-like writing of Autosport's current grand prix editor.

ykiki
29th November 2009, 22:15
Another Nov 29 anniversary some of you here may appreciate - the death in 1996 of the great motor racing journalist Denis Jenkinson.

He was the co-driver in Mille Miglia's alongside Sir Stirling Moss.

For me Jenks and Pete Lyons [Autosport grand prix editor] are still the benchmarks in racing journalism especially given the Lewis Hamilton sychophant-like writing of Autosport's current grand prix editor.

Wow, time flies. Doesn't seem like like 13 years.

ykiki
29th November 2009, 22:20
Today marks the 34th [Nov 29 1975] anniversaries of the deaths in an air crash of Graham Hill and Tony Brise who, along with Andy Smallman - designer, Ray Brimble - team manager, mechanics Tony Alcock and Terry Richards returning from winter testing during the good old days of Paul Ricard crashed into Arkley Golf Course.

Hill was a FIVE times Monte Carlo champion, TWICE world champion, Le Mans 24 hour winner and Indy 500 winner - the greatest all round achieving driver in racing history.

The twenty-three year old Tony Brise was the Lewis Hamilton of the day. In 1975 he drove his first race for Williams and then the Hill. The car would not qualify well but Tony Brise in such a sublime way would work his way up the field and into seventh or sixth place.

A immensely confident and competent driver - he was often mistaken as being arrogant. I remember him well in that orange Modus as he swept the f3 championships.

I have a lovely photo of the team at Silverstone standing around the absolutely beautiful Hill 02 which never got to race and Tony in the car.

They might have been along the lines of the Brawn team in 1976, not beating Mclaren and Ferrari but challenging them with Tony Brise driving.

As a kid growing up in the 60s/70s, Hill was my favorite F1 driver. I remember how sad I was when my mother showed me the news story in our local paper. I was always aware that drivers died in racing crashes (which happened waaaaay too frequently back then), but I wasn't expecting to lose my favorite driver and HIS TEAM in a plane crash. Such a tragedy. :(

tinchote
1st December 2009, 04:46
As a kid growing up in the 60s/70s, Hill was my favorite F1 driver. I remember how sad I was when my mother showed me the news story in our local paper. I was always aware that drivers died in racing crashes (which happened waaaaay too frequently back then), but I wasn't expecting to lose my favorite driver and HIS TEAM in a plane crash. Such a tragedy. :(

But then you have Carlos Pace (only one or two years later), and Didier Pironi.