PDA

View Full Version : wristwatch, which type do like at most...

leopard
23rd November 2009, 02:37
For more than a decade I've been wearing sport model of watches, they might not be the best watches but they are the best I can afford, it changes from a brand to different brand, such as Swiss Army, Giordano, etc...

Currently I get bored with this model, I want to rewind my memory to possess back my old model of watches, my uncle gave the gift for me, ie golden look wristwatch with some made of gold...
Wristwatch, ring, necklace or anything made of gold somewhat represents arabian style...

When I was in junior/senior high school, seems it worked out to attract a lot of females... ;)

23rd November 2009, 04:42
When I was in junior/senior high school, seems it worked out to attract a lot of females... ;)

Female Magpies by any chance Leopard? ;)

My preference for a watch is analogue - white gold, oval face, elegant.

leopard
23rd November 2009, 06:43

My preference for a watch is analogue - white gold, oval face, elegant.

gold is female things, they were interested in it, not in me... ;) lol

Hondo
24th November 2009, 20:02
I'm not fond of jewelry so my watch has to be a tough, functional piece of hardware. It's going in dirt, sand, muck, oil, water, solvents, and anything else my hand gets into. In addition, it needs to be analog. As a result, I've usually had divers or similar watches out of stainless steel and as they called it back in the day, self-winding. I tried a few of the electric watches but once that original battery goes out the replacement batteries never seemed to last near as long.

The current, and probably last, watch is a TAG Heuer Aqua something or another which has been in service for the last 3 years. This thing is heavy stainless steel, automatic (self-winding), and throughout all it's adventures, not a scratch on the crystal. Great watch you don't have to watch out for.

raybak
25th November 2009, 12:59
I have my Casio Sports, it works well as a nav watch for rallying, storing stage times etc. Also does my heart rate and a few other functions.

Ray

Tomi
25th November 2009, 21:56
i normally dont use a wristwatch, except when diving i use a TAG Heuer.

Rollo
25th November 2009, 21:57
I own a Seiko, with a white dial and just batons in place of the digits. I bought it back in 1996 and if I set it after daylight savings kicks in, it will still be within 3 seconds of the pips on the radio when it's time to change back.

I saw something similar to it in a watch shop about a month ago and they wanted A$975 for it.

leopard
26th November 2009, 07:31
My problem with my previous automatic (self-winding) wristwatch it ran faster or slower than it should, so it need adjustment every certain periods. It was a Seiko 5, a brand of quality. Electronic or battery powered watch would never last as the same long as original the watch manufactured, but a quality battery would not die away that fast.

That's great if TAG Heuer is a quality water-resist that can work well on some depth of diving. I bought sport model because at that time there were only one out of ten people wear it, but now it's found anywhere ranged from the original to the cheapest ones, seems I will give more weight to rewind sweet memory of my golden look wristwatch...

Besides its function to give us navigation, wristwatch is also accessories to help us look better...

leopard
26th November 2009, 07:52

no enforcement, it goes by its nature ... ;)

MrJan
26th November 2009, 09:07
Anything really. I currently wear:

http://www.masbas.com/jewellery/img/2/1044/1.jpg

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/casioclassic.jpg

http://my.frooition.com/070245/images/015B.jpg

I've actually got this in black but can't find a photo
http://www.splendicity.com/gadgenista/files/2008/07/led_color_watch_off.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/theredface/images/mao_watch_blue_redface.gif

MrJan
26th November 2009, 09:10
Also tis (but with a black strap)

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!Be3,5ywCGk~$(KGrHqMH-EUErfFbc+uvBK+CQmmHnQ~~_35.JPG

oh and a 'replica' of one of these

http://www.watches.co.uk/watch_pics/largepics/omega-speedmaster-om6879.jpg

Got a couple of others too, one which is dead and one with a flat battery which I haven't got around to replacing.

Given a full budget and endless choice I'd probably have a real Omega Speedmaster, nice classic chronograph is that.

Kneeslider
27th November 2009, 00:44
Plenty of Tag afficionados on here! :)

I have been a fan of the re issues of the 'classic' Heuer chronographs of the '60s, and as soon as they came out in about '98 or so I resolved to have one one day, in spite of them costing a lot.

I couldn't make my mind up between a Carrera or a Monaco, but in '02 I got engaged to my wife, and when I bought her a ring, she said that she would like to buy me something too, so I searched Ebay, and bought a black faced 3 sub-dial Monaco which was new, and had never been worn, with all the boxes and papers, so I bid on it and got it for around half the retail price!

At the time I wondered about it being too chunky for every day wear, but it has been on my wrist more or less constantly since. It has had to endure spannering, gunk, parrafin, petrol etc and has been fine, except for when I sent it back to the manufacturers to have a replacement strap, crystal and service, which cost £400! ouch! You have to think of it like having a nice sports car which needs work every now and again, but will last forever. A Quartz would keep better time, as you have to add 5 mins or so to it every couple of weeks, but it works as an aviation nav watch, so that is fine by me!

MrJan
27th November 2009, 09:03
Sorry Kneeslider but I just can't see the attraction of a Monaco, big ugly watch IMO. Now a Carrera is a nice chronograph, not too overstated and just a nice classic watch.

Interesting you mention the classics range, my Dad still wears the Camaro he got for his 18th birthday back in 1968. He would have had the Carrera but it was just a bit too expensive. When me and my brother had our eighteenths he continues the tradition of buying a watch, my brother got a second hand Tag Heuer F1 and I had the new Tissot.

When I was younger I wanted a Breitling but now I'm not so sure, they are generally very big and perhaps a bit too busy on the face. Saying that I wouldn't turn one down if I had the chance :D

Daniel
27th November 2009, 09:24
Sorry Kneeslider but I just can't see the attraction of a Monaco, big ugly watch IMO. Now a Carrera is a nice chronograph, not too overstated and just a nice classic watch.

Interesting you mention the classics range, my Dad still wears the Camaro he got for his 18th birthday back in 1968. He would have had the Carrera but it was just a bit too expensive. When me and my brother had our eighteenths he continues the tradition of buying a watch, my brother got a second hand Tag Heuer F1 and I had the new Tissot.

When I was younger I wanted a Breitling but now I'm not so sure, they are generally very big and perhaps a bit too busy on the face. Saying that I wouldn't turn one down if I had the chance :D
My dad bought my brothers watches when they turned 21 but I said "Give me the cash, I'll buy something useful" :p

Not a watch person myself, I use my phone to tell the time and I can't stand to have any extra's like chains, rings, watches etc attached to my body, just feels weird!

MrJan
27th November 2009, 09:47
I feel weird without a watch, the only times I don't wear one are when I'm sleeping, showering etc. and when I go to watch the football (it gets uncomfortable if you keep applauding).

Daniel
27th November 2009, 10:03
I feel weird without a watch, the only times I don't wear one are when I'm sleeping, showering etc. and when I go to watch the football (it gets uncomfortable if you keep applauding).
I guess it's just what you're used to. I think I tried a cheapy crappy watch when I was about 7 and I just didn't like the sensation of having something on my body :mark: Caroline always says she feels weird if she goes to work without her watch on.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th November 2009, 13:14
My dad bought my brothers watches when they turned 21 but I said "Give me the cash, I'll buy something useful" :p

Not a watch person myself, I use my phone to tell the time and I can't stand to have any extra's like chains, rings, watches etc attached to my body, just feels weird!

I never wear a watch anymore because I use my phone for the time. But I have a friend who is never without a watch and he can't understand how I cope without one. He says 'what would you do if your phone battery was dead?' Well, I'd recharge it!

I once got asked by someone if I had the time once when I was stood next to Big Ben. I don't know if they were joking or not :\

Does anyone else here think Rolex are a bit chavvy? In a showing off sort of way. If you're wealthy it takes absolutely no imagination to buy a Rolex (or an Aston).

MrJan
27th November 2009, 13:17
Yeah I've never really liked Rolexs, especially if they're gold. Not a fan of gold watches at all come to think of it.

Eki
27th November 2009, 14:19
I recently ordered this one, but it hasn't arrived yet. Maybe for Christmas. I like plain and simple:

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr2666.html

27th November 2009, 20:51

I'm not a "chains" and "etc" person either. ;)

leopard
30th November 2009, 04:16
http://www.splendicity.com/gadgenista/files/2008/07/led_color_watch_off.jpg

Amongst your choices, this one is better, simple and elegant.

leopard
30th November 2009, 04:27
I think to wear all this accessories require some self confidence..., never use it in case it may prompt you to some crisis of confidence..., make sure to wear it all only if environment can accept that jewelry of gold or diamond...

MrJan
30th November 2009, 12:02
Amongst your choices, this one is better, simple and elegant.

Actually it's made of plastic and is quite nasty :D The crowning glory is that the markers are LEDs and light up in either: red, blue, green, orange, cyan, purple, pink or (and this is my personal favourite) flashes all of the above. I mainly got it for going to nightclubs but it has a certain charm too.

leopard
1st December 2009, 02:14
yeah I said the best amongst your list :D

Thought your favorite is this one... ;)

http://members.shaw.ca/theredface/images/mao_watch_blue_redface.gif

MrJan
1st December 2009, 08:55
I don't really have a favourite, which one I wear depends on my mood and the occasion. For example a nigth out would be eitehr the digital Casio, Chairman Mao or the disco watch (the one you like ;) ). For something a bit more formal I'd wear the Tissot :)

leopard
2nd December 2009, 10:19
I don't really have a favourite, which one I wear depends on my mood and the occasion. For example a nigth out would be eitehr the digital Casio, Chairman Mao or the disco watch (the one you like ;) )
Unluckily currently mine looks cheap like this one... ;)