PDA

View Full Version : Quoting articles vs. wholesale cut'n'pasting

Dave B
20th November 2009, 10:52
Could we have a clarification on the forum's policy regarding quoting articles please?

[Declaration of interest: I used to run a motorsport website and depended on advertising revenue to make it viable.]

I've always been careful to only quote the opening paragraph or two from a story, or lift a quote which is directly relevant to the point; accompanying my post with a direct link to the original source.

I've recently noticed a trend (from one member in particular if I'm honest) to cut and paste entire articles, thereby removing any incentive for an interested reader to ever visit the website of the publisher.

I know that some countries have a "fair use" defence (the UK certainly doesn't), but I would suggest that the wholesale lifting of articles is copyright theft - even if one is careful to credit the author - and deprives websites of a potential audience.

I'd be interested to know the forum's official policy on this. I've cross-posted in F1 becuase that's where I witness this activity the most.

:)

Daniel
20th November 2009, 11:15
Could we have a clarification on the forum's policy regarding quoting articles please?

[Declaration of interest: I used to run a motorsport website and depended on advertising revenue to make it viable.]

I've always been careful to only quote the opening paragraph or two from a story, or lift a quote which is directly relevant to the point; accompanying my post with a direct link to the original source.

I've recently noticed a trend (from one member in particular if I'm honest) to cut and paste entire articles, thereby removing any incentive for an interested reader to ever visit the website of the publisher.

I know that some countries have a "fair use" defence (the UK certainly doesn't), but I would suggest that the wholesale lifting of articles is copyright theft - even if one is careful to credit the author - and deprives websites of a potential audience.

I'd be interested to know the forum's official policy on this. I've cross-posted in F1 becuase that's where I witness this activity the most.

:)

I agree. I've always been one to copy and paste the complete article but in future I think I'll do as you've suggested and take the first paragraph :up:

CNR
20th November 2009, 11:46
that is a good point
http://www.englishclub.com/writing/plagiarism.htm

Do you plagiarize?

Plagiarism is an illegal form of copying. It means taking another person's work (without asking) and calling it your own. Plagiarism can be accidental or intentional. Copying an entire essay or story and calling it your own is plagiarism. Copying one sentence word-for-word without "quotations" is also plagiarism. Whether you hand it in to a teacher, or post it in your blog, plagiarism is against the law in most nations.
Examples of plagiarism

copying and pasting from the Internet and posting somewhere else without proper citation[/*:m:289ljsxa]
putting your name on another person's essay or project[/*:m:289ljsxa]
copying exact wording from another person's text[/*:m:289ljsxa]
using another person's photo, diagram, sounds, or ideas without proper citation[/*:m:289ljsxa]
presenting research in your own words without providing your references[/*:m:289ljsxa]
purchasing another person's text and using it as your own[/*:m:289ljsxa]
presenting ideas in the same format and order as your research source[/*:m:289ljsxa]
having a teacher, native speaker, or higher level student edit your paper to perfection[/*:m:289ljsxa]And what about image hotlinking

http://www.imagehotlinking.com/

Image Hotlinking (also known as leeching, or inline linking) is the practice of stealing bandwidth from other websites, by linking to an image stored on another server. By doing this, when a person visits a website with hotlinked images, the images must be downloaded from the other server, costing that server bandwidth, instead of the server being visited.
This practice can lead to gigabytes of bandwidth being "leeched" from other websites, with no benefit to themselves in return.
Am I Hotlinking Someone Else's Image?

It is quite possible that people new to webpages may be engaging in the practice of image hotlinking without realizing it. The best way to determine if you are image hotlinking is to look at the image code:
www.thisisntmysite.com/images/thisisnotmyimage.jpg
If the image is coming from a site that isn't yours, it's considered hotlinking or inline linking. To solve this, save a copy of the image yourself (assuming you have permission to do so), upload it to your web server, and link to it from there. Alternatively, you can upload it to the numerous free image hosting sites available around the net.

pino
21st November 2009, 06:45
A while ago we posted a note, were we asked members to not to post entire articles, but only a single line, followed by a link of the web-site the articles were taken from. Unfortunatelly some members have forgotten that, but that is our policy in here, and from now on I will do my best to make sure everyone will respect that.

Daniel
21st November 2009, 10:27
I just realised something funny :p

By Pino's rules Thunderbolt is guilty of plagiarism :p

keysersoze
21st November 2009, 13:33
I realize you were just being facetious about copying links, but in the realm of scholarship, copying common definitions published online isn't construed as plagiarism--only copying someone else's ideas / commentary and passing them off as your own.

gravity
21st November 2009, 21:01
I realize you were just being facetious about copying links, but in the realm of scholarship, copying common definitions published online isn't construed as plagiarism--only copying someone else's ideas / commentary and passing them off as your own.

I would have thought what you said there contradicts point 7 in Thunderbolt's quote. True, using common definitions isn't plagiarism, but presenting ideas in the same format and order as your research source would be, if you pass it off as your own or not. (Seems as though the original author's layout and presentation is part of the copyrighted material).

CNR
22nd November 2009, 00:28
I just realised something funny :p

By Pino's rules Thunderbolt is guilty of plagiarism :p

http://www.englishclub.com/writing/plagiarism.htm

Copying one sentence word-for-word without "quotations" is also plagiarism. ?