PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Notables

Saint Devote
20th November 2009, 03:34
The new season is filled with changes.

I am really sorry that for the first season since 1988 the 2010 is looking to get underway without a single Finnish driver. This tiny nation with such a wonderful motor racing tradition has produced more f1 drivers and world champions than anyone else if size is compared. Great motoring nations such as Germany and Japan have one between them and the US has two champions. Finland: THREE champions.

First time in decades that Mercedes Benz will field a works team.

First time Mclaren will consist of TWO English drivers that are also the two recent consecutive world champions - and conceivably one of them could well be the champion in 2010.

We have not seen in a long while so many driver changes amongst teams.

No refuelling stops [YIPPEEE!!!!] for I think 15 years?

First time in 27 years that there will be no Japanese engined car on the grid.

Interesting? Any other notable points for 2010?

woody2goody
20th November 2009, 03:56
This must be the first time ever there have been four completely new teams taking part.

Add that to the fact that we could also have three or four re-branded teams with Merc, maybe Sauber, Renault if they leave, and whatever becomes of Toyota's car.

The last time Lewis Hamilton had number 2 on his car he finished second in the championship.

I wonder when the last time where the driver with the number 1 on the car has won less races than the driver with number 2 on the car?

Also, the last time two British drivers were team-mates was at the 2005 Malaysian GP when Anthony Davidson stepped in for Takuma Sato to partner Jenson Button at BAR. (I'm pretty sure of that one)

This will only be the second time (first was in 2006) since 1995 where the first race of the season will not be held in Australia.

The Canadian Grand Prix is back isn't it?

It should be one amazing and fascinating season of F1 that's for sure. :)

Dave B
20th November 2009, 08:43
It'll be the first F1 season in living memory during which nobody on this forum talks bollocks.

Maybe.

Donney
20th November 2009, 10:48
It is not much but if Campos happens, it will be the first Spanish team on the grid.

V12
20th November 2009, 11:00
I wonder when the last time where the driver with the number 1 on the car has won less races than the driver with number 2 on the car?

I would guess 1989, Ayrton Senna with #1 and Alain Prost #2.

I am really sorry that for the first season since 1988 the 2010 is looking to get underway without a single Finnish driver.

I'm thinking Kovalainen will turn up somewhere, either Renault or one of the new teams. I wouldn't completely write Kimi out of a Merc drive either, I don't think it will happen personally but I'd say there's more chance of it than Schuey going there.

Saint Devote
20th November 2009, 11:01
It is not much but if Campos happens, it will be the first Spanish team on the grid.

I think its equal to anything! Ole!! :D

christophulus
20th November 2009, 11:49

How about 2008? Massa (#2) won six races, Raikkonen (#1) won just two.

keysersoze
20th November 2009, 12:36
The return of JV? :p

Having a driver on the grid with the longest gap since his last WDC (JV) with 13 seasons?

Donney
20th November 2009, 14:37
I think its equal to anything! Ole!! :D

:laugh:

:beer:

woody2goody
20th November 2009, 16:24
How about 2008? Massa (#2) won six races, Raikkonen (#1) won just two.

I meant in their career :)

I think we'll see Heikki again. After all, he is a Grand Prix winner and a good driver. He doesn't make too many mistakes which could be useful for a new team.

UltimateDanGTR
20th November 2009, 16:30
heikki should be on the grid next year IMO, either with one of the new teams or renault.

hopefully we will have a great year in 2010, as long as the british grand prix is still here ofcourse.........

Saint Devote
22nd November 2009, 00:14
heikki should be on the grid next year IMO, either with one of the new teams or renault.

hopefully we will have a great year in 2010, as long as the british grand prix is still here ofcourse.........

I cannot imagine a world championship without a British Grand Prix and with the two most recent world champions being Brits it is just inconceivable that Ecclestone would be so unrelenting.

He reminds me of Madonna who has in the past not been coy about insulting Americans and America - if she were not FROM the United States she would never have had the opportunity to become who she is.

Similarly, Bernie would not have been in his position had he not been born and raised in the centre of motor racing - the UK.

Being ungrateful for that accident of birth is crass and smacks of arrogance.

And while I am not suggesting a special price be granted to Silverstone - who have also not gone about things in the most intelligent or best way because they failed to ask the FIA to apply a ruling which protects traditional grands prix as important to the survival of the sport - the British Grand Prix should be one race that Bernie is prepared to structure payment differently.

It is not all about money but has been made that way. Attention ought to be paid to the remarks of people such as Martin Whitmarsh about the vital importance of the traditional venues.

There are two grands prix in the middle of the desert close by each other. Bahrain attracted 5,000 spectators in 2009 and watching on tv the LACK of spectators madethe entire event appear like a long test session!

Abu Dhabi in a few years when the novelty has worn off the sort of people that are attracted to gaudy, ostentatious events, will likely suffer the same fate - evidently formula 1 motor racing is of little to no interest in these places.

Saint Devote
22nd November 2009, 00:22
2010 will see drivers having to cope with a situation that has not been present in f1 for many years. I think only Barrichello has experienced a grand prix where a car is fueled up - 260 litres in 2010 versus 80 litres in 2009 - and paying mind to tyres is vital.

Initially this will be an advantage to Jenson Button because he is the easiest on tyres [and brakes] in f1 today. After the Monaco Grand Prix this year, the CEO of Bridgestone Racing described Jense's tyre wear as phenomenal.

But I think that this is the most important change and drivers are going to have to adapt themselves.

maximilian
22nd November 2009, 00:40
I also think we'll have at least 1 Finn on the grid... but possibly NO Japanese driver?

Saint Devote
22nd November 2009, 01:23
I meant in their career :)

I think we'll see Heikki again. After all, he is a Grand Prix winner and a good driver. He doesn't make too many mistakes which could be useful for a new team.

Kovaleinen would be good for team. But his options have narrowed rapidly.

Manor - Glock and di Grassi
Lotus - Trulli and ??? - reserve: Fauzy
Campos - Senna and ??? - I hope Heidfeld might find a place at least.
USF1 - will they even be on the grid?

Maybe he will become a Renault driver once more? And if Renault does not have a title sponsor I hope they return to the yellow and black Renault livery.

maximilian
22nd November 2009, 01:37
I get the feeling Kovalainen will end up where ever Heidfeld doesn't end up...

Saint Devote
22nd November 2009, 03:44
I get the feeling Kovalainen will end up where ever Heidfeld doesn't end up...

Upon reflection - maybe Heidfeld will be signed by Mercedes GP and Kovaleinen may go to Campos.

I think Senna and Kovaleinen could go well together.

Although Adrian Campos' first choice, if he can manage the budget, is de la Rosa - only he knows why!!!! After all, both drivers are from Mclaren and while the test driver is extremely important to a team it is Kovaleinen that has the simulator AND race experience.

I am speculating that the new teams have ay least the basic simulator.

maximilian
22nd November 2009, 04:47
I suppose if Schumacher goes to Mercedes, then Heidfeld might stay at Sauber? In which case Kovalainen may be at Renault. I agree Kovalainen would be ideal for one of the new teams, and if it is one of them, I would hope Lotus or Campos. I can really see him in a Lotus... but they probably wouldn't take 2 veteran drivers (presuming they already signed Trulli?). If Heidfeld goes to Mercedes, then Kovalainen may have a shot at the open Sauber seat... all that presuming there even will be a Sauber next year, which I sincerely hope.

Saint Devote
22nd November 2009, 12:35
I suppose if Schumacher goes to Mercedes, then Heidfeld might stay at Sauber? In which case Kovalainen may be at Renault. I agree Kovalainen would be ideal for one of the new teams, and if it is one of them, I would hope Lotus or Campos. I can really see him in a Lotus... but they probably wouldn't take 2 veteran drivers (presuming they already signed Trulli?). If Heidfeld goes to Mercedes, then Kovalainen may have a shot at the open Sauber seat... all that presuming there even will be a Sauber next year, which I sincerely hope.

I do not beleive that Schumacher is even being thought about by Mercedes and the probability is zero!

If it were the direction they are following then count them OUT for 2010 and the rest of the top teams WILL be pleased.

DazzlaF1
22nd November 2009, 15:23
For me, the big difference is the first time we'll have a full 26 car grid since Monaco 1995

Or at least the first time we'll see an entry of more than 22 since Australia 1997

maximilian
22nd November 2009, 16:21
For me, the big difference is the first time we'll have a full 26 car grid since Monaco 1995

Or at least the first time we'll see an entry of more than 22 since Australia 1997
I sure hope so!! You never know, with Toyota out and FIA dragging ass about letting Sauber in (that venture may be destined for failure if they don't get the word SOON!), Renault possibly pulling out, and USF1 outing themselves as fruitcakes... I am biting my nails! :(

Ari
26th November 2009, 02:52
I sure hope so!! You never know, with Toyota out and FIA dragging ass about letting Sauber in (that venture may be destined for failure if they don't get the word SOON!), Renault possibly pulling out, and USF1 outing themselves as fruitcakes... I am biting my nails! :(

The USF1 situation is pretty funny isn't it? :p

I wonder if they even make it through the year.

leopard
26th November 2009, 08:11
The USF1 situation is pretty funny isn't it? :p

I wonder if they even make it through the year.
USF1 is the one greatly in doubt they can finalize the sport project, agree with you Ari...

Bezza
26th November 2009, 12:44
This tiny nation with such a wonderful motor racing tradition has produced more f1 drivers and world champions than anyone else if size is compared.

After the UK of course.

Mike Hawthorn, Graham Hill (x2), Jim Clark (x2), John Surtees, Jackie Stewart (x3), James Hunt, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button.

I think we win that one. Thanks.

Lemmy-Boy
26th November 2009, 14:20
I cannot imagine a world championship without a British Grand Prix and with the two most recent world champions being Brits it is just inconceivable that Ecclestone would be so unrelenting.

F1 is a ruthless sport; it doesn't drive itself on your diluted notion of Union Jacks and teary eyed, sentimental virtues. It's a high stakes poker game that's played at the negotiation table and far from the track. The only things that matter are M-O-N-E-Y.

Most notably, Ecclestone is a billionaire for a reason. There are no nice guys in B-U-S-I-N-E-S-S. You either act like a SHARK or get eaten by the competition and at the negotiation table.

And yes, F1 can survive without a British GP. If F1 can ignore the largest consumer markets in the world (North America), the series can survive without a race in the UK.

If you have a boatload of cash to host an F1 race, Bernie E & CVC will bring the circus to your town. The inflow of new races in the Middle East, China, Turkey, Singapore & Korea is a testament to this fact. These new races may be boring to watch, but like the old saying goes, "Money Talks".

At least the Canadian GP is supposedly back(?) for 2010.

I am evil Homer
26th November 2009, 15:14
I disagree....with so many F1 teams based in the UK as well it would be madness to not have a Biritsh GP. Silverstone, Monza, Spa and Monaco should always be on the Calender.

Bernie is idiot...and a mad one at that.

Sonic
26th November 2009, 15:29
Most notably, Ecclestone is a billionaire for a reason. There are no nice guys in B-U-S-I-N-E-S-S. You either act like a SHARK or get eaten by the competition and at the negotiation table.

Indeed he is a business man but who are you refering to as competition? F1 is his personal monopoly. I have no problems with him being a shark as you phrase it but when his contracts with tracks require 90,000 attending just to break even something is seriously wrong (especially at tracks with capacity less than that - eg Spa).

Quote]
And yes, F1 can survive without a British GP. If F1 can ignore the largest consumer markets in the world (North America), the series can survive without a race in the UK.

True. It could survive without UK but it would be much the poorer for it as it is without USA, France etc. History is crucial to our sport.

Sonic
26th November 2009, 15:37
Ooooops. That's some rubbish quoting I've just managed!

Lemmy-Boy
26th November 2009, 18:57
Indeed he is a business man but who are you refering to as competition? F1 is his personal monopoly. I have no problems with him being a shark as you phrase it but when his contracts with tracks require 90,000 attending just to break even something is seriously wrong (especially at tracks with capacity less than that - eg Spa).

F1 will always have competition with other racing series, sports or entertainment alternatives. Whether it's Football, Basketball, NASCAR, Golf or Hollywood Productions, there's many prying hands who'd love to steal a blue chip sponsor from F1.

Every promoter or owner of a racetrack have differing goals as to why they host an F1 race. The Singapore GP is promoted by someone who owns multiple hotel and properties in the city. Bahrain & UAE is used to promote the country for added tourism. Some races are loss leaders so they can lead to added revenues for other businesses in the local economy (Canadian GP).

As much as I loved going to Silverstone in person to see a F1 race, the end of a British GP will not mean disaster for F1. There will always be some 3rd world dictator, rich sheik, developing economy or rich individual that will want to host a prestigious F1 race. As long as Bernie & CVC get $$$ to pay off their loans, F1 races will continue to prop up at new venues for a very long time. Like I said before "money talks".

Saint Devote
26th November 2009, 22:57
After the UK of course.

Mike Hawthorn, Graham Hill (x2), Jim Clark (x2), John Surtees, Jackie Stewart (x3), James Hunt, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button.

I think we win that one. Thanks.

Reread what I wrote - I compared it to the size of the population. Finland has had THREE world champions compared to Britain's TEN.

Finland is quite simply amazing! :s mokin:

Bezza
27th November 2009, 09:07
Reread what I wrote - I compared it to the size of the population. Finland has had THREE world champions compared to Britain's TEN.

Finland is quite simply amazing! :s mokin:

You never mentioned population earlier. You just said size. I was thinking land mass ;)

jens
27th November 2009, 18:40
I assume Kovalainen might end up at Sauber and it would be a good team for him considering his character - nice friendly athmosphere there. Frentzen and Fisichella excelled in Sauber too.

Saint Devote
29th November 2009, 01:14
You never mentioned population earlier. You just said size. I was thinking land mass ;)

Then it was MY mistake. Oops :o

Of course Britain is far and away the most accomplished when the quantity and quality of drivers in f1 is measured.

And lets not forget the two wee Scots named Jimmy and Jackie that between them account for FIVE titles of the FOURTEEN titles won by the ten drivers :D

It has always been my firm view that Jim Clark is the greatest racing driver genius ever and one can only whimsically imagine how many more races and titles he might have won.

turismo6
2nd December 2009, 14:32
Hi guys, new to the forum...
I was looking through some testing pics at Jerez today, I can’t help think that this 2010 wing might be better suited to the red bull air race.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.php?photoID=143405&catID=4406

Saint Devote
3rd December 2009, 01:10
Hi guys, new to the forum...
I was looking through some testing pics at Jerez today, I can’t help think that this 2010 wing might be better suited to the red bull air race.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.php?photoID=143405&catID=4406

Its not a 2010 wing - all the odd appendages are sensors - it is testing after all.