PDA

View Full Version : José MarÃ*a "Pechito" López just one step from USF1

Lalo
19th November 2009, 17:53
Aparently, Pechito will finally have his chance in F1. He's about to be confirmed in USF1 for next year.

If you can understand some spanish:
http://www.ultimavuelta.com.ar/noticias.php?t=noticias_internacionales&id=3400

Roamy
19th November 2009, 18:05
Lalo
It is summertime down there and the "weed" must be growing tall! What has he done to get a f1 ride??

thanx

Nikki Katz
19th November 2009, 18:16
That's the guy that was a GP2 midfielder 3 years ago wasn't it? Has he done anything since???
*checks wiki*
TC 2000? Never even heard of that one! He is the reigning champion, beating off competition from the likes of Norberto Fontana....

Wow, they must be desperate for cash if this is true!

woody2goody
19th November 2009, 18:39
He's decent enough, but come on, where are Summerton, Hildebrand, Villeneuve, Kyle Busch, Scott Speed - American drivers?

Lopez probably won't make much of an impact in F1. Wasn't he a bit crash-prone in F3000 and GP2? I think he has good speed, but whether he can go from Touring Cars to F1 in one go is questionable. (I don't count DTM as touring cars, they are beasts)

PS: Does this mean that Fontana has a chance then? :D

Sonic
19th November 2009, 19:48
PS: Does this mean that Fontana has a chance then? :D

Or JCB? :D

woody2goody
19th November 2009, 20:10
Or JCB? :D

Good grief!

Vincent Radermecker will be knocking on the door next!

Sonic
19th November 2009, 20:52
Good grief!

Vincent Radermecker will be knocking on the door next!

And we have a winner! Most random thread of the year award.

woody2goody
19th November 2009, 21:41
And we have a winner! Most random thread of the year award.

Hmm, Jose Lopez to Vincent via JCB, you could say that :D

So you think Lopez has no chance of being any good in F1 then?

UltimateDanGTR
19th November 2009, 21:47
He's decent enough, but come on, where are Summerton, Hildebrand, Villeneuve, Kyle Busch, Scott Speed - American drivers?

Kyle Busch? please tell me you are joking?

woody2goody
19th November 2009, 22:26
Kyle Busch? please tell me you are joking?

He was supposed to test for Toyota this year but there was a clash of dates or something. It's not as stupid as you might think. He's only 23 as well I think.

ShiftingGears
20th November 2009, 00:07
TC 2000?

Argentinean Touring Cars. He's not getting into F1, Peter Windsor is not that stupid.

Easy Drifter
20th November 2009, 02:25
Markabilly has the # 1 seat locked up!
Being silly aside any potential driver either has to have a so called 'Super Licence' or be eligible for one.
As far as I know the only US driver that has one is Scott Speed and adding in NA drivers JV., although both eligibilities may have gone bye bye.
There are a few drivers possibly eligible but not many. NAPCAR, oops Nascar, does not qualify under the current criteria.
If USF1 has one US driver, outside of a test driver, I will be surprised.
Possibly they are petitioning the FIA for some one but if they are it is a secret.
I feel their hype early on about this sort of thing has really hurt their creditability

Saint Devote
20th November 2009, 02:39
Well I checked, its not April 1st....

This is supposedly a team set up to propel AMERICAN drivers into f1.....

I am surprised he would even qualify for a Superlicence.

USF1 is looking more like joke each day. With only 114 days until the Bahrain Grand Prix at Sakhir - incidentally one of my favorite new circuits - the team is looking like Donington's reach for the British Grand Prix!

Easy Drifter
20th November 2009, 05:30
With all due respect St. Devote 'American' covers one heck of a lot of drivers including several current signed F1 drivers.
Massa and Barrichelo are American drivers!
JV and Paul Tracy are American drivers.
Now US drivers is a totally different situation.

USF1 do have a serious problem living up to their hype about employing US drivers. Outside of Scott Speed I doubt any US driver has a required super licence and few have the qualifications for one.
I wish them well but their PR is coming back to haunt them.
I really hope they can employ at least one talented up and coming US driver in a test role. There are quite few.
Against that they need a test driver who knows what a F1 car needs and understands set ups extremely well. Untested rookies are not that answer!
In the hard school of F1 teams need the to have the absolute best feed back they can get. Someone who has never driven a F1 car or anything like one just cannot give the feedback required.
You have to have a baseline to compare your info from. Computers are invaluable but the seat of the pants is still required,
If it wasn't the current F1 teams would never bother to test.

Saint Devote
20th November 2009, 06:09
With all due respect St. Devote 'American' covers one heck of a lot of drivers including several current signed F1 drivers.
Massa and Barrichelo are American drivers!
JV and Paul Tracy are American drivers.
Now US drivers is a totally different situation.

USF1 do have a serious problem living up to their hype about employing US drivers. Outside of Scott Speed I doubt any US driver has a required super licence and few have the qualifications for one.
I wish them well but their PR is coming back to haunt them.
I really hope they can employ at least one talented up and coming US driver in a test role. There are quite few.
Against that they need a test driver who knows what a F1 car needs and understands set ups extremely well. Untested rookies are not that answer!
In the hard school of F1 teams need the to have the absolute best feed back they can get. Someone who has never driven a F1 car or anything like one just cannot give the feedback required.
You have to have a baseline to compare your info from. Computers are invaluable but the seat of the pants is still required,
If it wasn't the current F1 teams would never bother to test.

Calling any driver "American" that is not from the United States is tantamount to calling a Monagasque a Frenchman!!! Not on!!!!

Giuseppe F1
21st November 2009, 10:39
Guys, this now looks like its a done(ish) deal......

.....being reported by Autosport.com and also f1-live.com

Theres even a photo of Lopez posing with Windsor and Anderson outside the teams Charlotte base after his recent team visit. News is Jose Maria has a 20% shortfall in his budget to fill - i reckon this will happen now - big shock! Apparently, a conditional deal has been signed, and Windsor is raving about him...

http://www.ambito.com/diario/2009/1119/imagenes/Not_20091119_494096_ch.jpg

http://www.ambito.com/diario/2009/1119/imagenes/Not_20091119_494096.jpg

Autosport story:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80273

F1-Live.com story:
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091121093955.shtml

And for the Spanish speakers amongst us, the original story from Ambito.com:
http://www.ambito.com/noticia.asp?id=494096

Sonic
21st November 2009, 10:50
Good grief! From touring cars to F1 in one jump. USF1 have just become the biggest joke in F1.

UltimateDanGTR
21st November 2009, 10:55
well, you never know, he may surprise us all (average in GP2, but betr in F1, a-la Kobiyashi) but i somehow doubt it.

good luck to him and USF1, they r gonna need it

Giuseppe F1
21st November 2009, 10:57
http://www.racintoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/usf1-driver-owner.jpg

Saint Devote
21st November 2009, 11:39
Good grief! From touring cars to F1 in one jump. USF1 have just become the biggest joke in F1.

I agree.

And now thay have a driver tha understands next to nothing about single seater racing cars but still no tangible evidence of a racing car - I guess its the $8 million they are after.

No reputable driver of the past should sign with this team, thats for sure.

Dr. Krogshöj
21st November 2009, 12:22
Even though he spend the last couple of years in touring cars, you should not forget that he had a decent open wheel career before that.

He won championship titles in Italian Formula Renault and the Renault V6 Eurocup. He was the test driver of the Renault F1 Team and spent two years in GP2. He only won one race there but performed better overall than Kamui Kobayashi.

He's not going to be the next Vettel but he is not nearly the joke some of you describe him.

Dr. Krogshöj
21st November 2009, 12:30
And now thay have a driver tha understands next to nothing about single seater racing cars but still no tangible evidence of a racing car - I guess its the $8 million they are after.

He spent over 2000 kms testing the Renault F1 car in 2005/2006. Is that your idea of understanding next to nothing about single seater racing cars?

Dave B
21st November 2009, 12:55
Wow. Just... wow.

Robinho
21st November 2009, 15:11
he's hardly going to set the world alight, but he's hardly the no-mark that some are making out - as pointed out he has had an extensive and pretty successful single seater caeer, as well as relatively recent experience of an F1 car - more than most the of the prospective F1 younsters have these days

Sonic
21st November 2009, 15:51
Oh please! Will everyone stop playing devils advocate. Yes he may not be terrible but the guy is washed up! He hasn't won a major single seater race in nearly 5 years.

If this is the caliber of drivers USF1 are going after then they really are in deep deep trouble.

Roamy
21st November 2009, 15:53
Hey but look at the bright side. Can you just imagine the Pit Babes he can bring. I can't wait !!!!!!

maximilian
21st November 2009, 16:43
With all of the interesting and even exciting news and rumors going around in the past couple weeks, this is a real DOWNER! :p : Really pathetic... one can only hope he doesn't scrape together the needed cash, and a better driver will get a chance at it.

How does a guy like this get a superlicense??

veeten
21st November 2009, 17:12
In short, what 'they'(other posters) want is the usual suspects. You know, the drivers that are supported because of the fact that they've seen them before in racing, even as some have done diddly-squat with the chances that were given.
If these drivers were so good, then why have the other teams passed on them the last couple of seasons, hmm?

Maybe it's time for some new faces, instead of the tired, recycled bunch that are trotted out every pre-season. Couldn't hurt...

maximilian
21st November 2009, 17:29
There are plenty of suitable, talented new faces waiting on the sidelines (some even have money). We could probably come up with a list of 100+ drivers who would be more deserving of a shot at F1 ;)

Jag_Warrior
21st November 2009, 21:57
Oh please! Will everyone stop playing devils advocate. Yes he may not be terrible but the guy is washed up! He hasn't won a major single seater race in nearly 5 years.

If this is the caliber of drivers USF1 are going after then they really are in deep deep trouble.

I agree. But considering that Danica Patrick was one of the first names linked to this team, my expectations have been pretty low ever since, to be honest. And that's a shame. The shop is roughly 30 minutes from a friend of mine's house and I would like to see them make a real go of it. But so far, there's been no news from the team that's given me much reason to be optimistic. And hearing names that wouldn't have been fit for the old ride-buyer Champ Car series (or the current IRL) just makes me a little sad.

I thought there was some Google money behind this team? :confused:

Easy Drifter
22nd November 2009, 01:30
I really have no idea wether Lopez has any real talent.
Technically he is an American driver, just South American, but sure not a US driver.
What really bothers me is is that all the previous hype is being thrown out the infamous window and USF1 are back tracking on their various press releases.
They are now hiring, oops wrong word, getting a paying driver with thin credentials, assuming he can come up with even more money.
That sure as heck is not the way to build a winning team. He does have some F1 test experience but nothing current.
They need to hire (pay) someone with experience and recent experience. Despite his being Cdn., like me, JV is not the answer.
He has no recent experience and I feel not hungry enough.
Probably the best fit would be Seabass. He has current experience, was as good as his Torro Rosso replacement if not better and knows how to work with people in the US which might be a plus.
He does know how to set up a car and I feel was being overuled on set up at Torro Rosso much like JV was originally at Williams. JV soon got his own way.
He would want to be paid, although he might bring some sponsorship, and it seems USF1 are getting pay drivers.
I actually dislike Seabass but he probably would be a big plus for USF1.
Ok people shoot me down.

Roamy
22nd November 2009, 01:34
Ok people shoot me down.

You are so HIGH that I can't reach !!!!

maximilian
22nd November 2009, 01:35
Ok people shoot me down.
He is definitely on my list of 100 drivers who would be a better choice, as is JV (OK, they are not "fresh faces", but IMHO better options for various reasons).

Saint Devote
22nd November 2009, 04:05
I think US F1 are seriously short of money and that is why they are reaching for obscure drivers.

Not in any way is this Argentinian worthy of being in the same race as Button, Hamilton, Vettel, Kubica or Alonso.

The FIA ought to step in and stop this nonsense.

In fact they FIA ought to investigate and publish the exact condition of USF1.

I remain totally skeptical that the team is going to even produce a car and if they do I suspect it will be a 2010 Maki!!!

maximilian
22nd November 2009, 04:38
I'll say it again... why would he even get a superlicense?

UltimateDanGTR
22nd November 2009, 08:27

well he has competed in F3000 and GP2, so surely that would count him for something

Dave B
22nd November 2009, 10:00
I understood that USF1 did not want pay-drivers:

Ken (Anderson) and I have got to be very strong, look one another in the eye and say, 'no, we're not gong to accept that money, we're not going to hire those guys because we're going to remain true to our convictions'

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090807103051.shtml

Dr. Krogshöj
22nd November 2009, 10:49
Not in any way is this Argentinian worthy of being in the same race as Button, Hamilton, Vettel, Kubica or Alonso.

How do you determine who is worthy of being in the same race as those drivers? Results in junior formulae? Whas are your criteria?

Dr. Krogshöj
22nd November 2009, 11:05

According to the relevant rules, López fulfilled several criteria for obtaining the superlicence (Formula Renault V6 title, F1 test driver). However, these happened earlier in his career so they are not valid anymore. So it would be up to the FIA to judge whether he had "consistently demonstrated outstanding ability in single-seater formula cars." Basically, he would have to show decent pace in the January/February tests in the US F1 car. (If there will be one.)

In this case the F1 team concerned must show that the applicant has driven at least 300 km in a current Formula One car consistently at racing speeds, over a maximum period of 2 days, completed not more than 90 days prior to the application and certifi ed by the ASN of the country in which the test took place.

Saint Devote
22nd November 2009, 11:50

I agree entirely.

The last FIVE years has seen motor racing move light years away.

If by finishing 6th in the 2009 F3 Euro championship, despite his excellent 2nd in Macau today, a driver like Vernay has decided to target the DTM - why?

He said that it simply is not good enough to attract f1 attention - and he is correct.

So someone like Lopez to be even granted a Superlicense degrades and undermines the whole concept of f1.

I really mean it that the FIA should rule him out.

And if this is any reflection on how USF1 intends to be then the FIA should kick them out as well.

This is 2009/10 - the days of reaching the grid with "something scraping on the ground" is gone and belongs to another era.

God!! This is as bad as this constant yearning to recreate the past and have Schumacher return!

maximilian
22nd November 2009, 14:06
According to the relevant rules, López fulfilled several criteria for obtaining the superlicence (Formula Renault V6 title, F1 test driver). However, these happened earlier in his career so they are not valid anymore. So it would be up to the FIA to judge whether he had "consistently demonstrated outstanding ability in single-seater formula cars." Basically, he would have to show decent pace in the January/February tests in the US F1 car. (If there will be one.)
That's exactly where I was coming from... while - with a little luck - he may have met the criteria years ago (even tho just barely!), by now surely the whole thing must have expired.

airshifter
22nd November 2009, 18:23
I agree entirely.

The last FIVE years has seen motor racing move light years away.

If by finishing 6th in the 2009 F3 Euro championship, despite his excellent 2nd in Macau today, a driver like Vernay has decided to target the DTM - why?

He said that it simply is not good enough to attract f1 attention - and he is correct.

So someone like Lopez to be even granted a Superlicense degrades and undermines the whole concept of f1.

I really mean it that the FIA should rule him out.

And if this is any reflection on how USF1 intends to be then the FIA should kick them out as well.

This is 2009/10 - the days of reaching the grid with "something scraping on the ground" is gone and belongs to another era.

God!! This is as bad as this constant yearning to recreate the past and have Schumacher return!

A lot of people thought that Kimi Räikkönen should't be granted a super license too. After his performance, there are probably a whole lot of drivers that wish the FIA never granted that provisional license.

Only time will tell, but I'm sure the FIA and USF1 aren't too concerned over the opinions on the internet to make their decisions.

maximilian
22nd November 2009, 18:30
They may not be concerned, but if they claim they want to bring F1 and the US together, they'd better do a better job at starting to build a fan base... rather than turn people off with these kinds of moves...

airshifter
22nd November 2009, 18:40
They may not be concerned, but if they claim they want to bring F1 and the US together, they'd better do a better job at starting to build a fan base... rather than turn people off with these kinds of moves...

I don't personally think that anyone at USF1 is ambitious enough to think that the US fan base will simply appear just due to the fact they make a US based team. Even if they do produce a good car and find a driver good enough to show it justice, it's going to be an uphill climb.

With all the aspects involved, any team trying to get into F1 has a great deal on their plates. I'm sure all of them would like to win a WDC and drivers championship in year one, but reality is that even with the funding most can't. The biggest factor has to be doing enough to keep the team afloat and hopefully attract sponsors.

truefan72
23rd November 2009, 18:26
who is this guy?

and what makes him a more apt candidate than the 8-10 drivers out there and available already?

you mean this guy is better than kovy, davidson, sato, klien, liuzzi, heidfeld, petrov, di grassi, nakajima, kobayashi, filipi, maldonato, grosjean, etc?

an absurd move by USF1.

stop over thinking the process and just sign 2 decent drivers for year one.

Sonic
23rd November 2009, 18:50
who is this guy?

you mean this guy is better than kovy, davidson, sato, klien, liuzzi, heidfeld, petrov, di grassi, nakajima, kobayashi, filipi, maldonato, grosjean, etc?

Nope. But his wallet sure is fatter!

raffin01
27th November 2009, 17:10
The only reason why Pechito Lopez is not yet on F1 is $. He is always fighting first positions; he used to be fighting face to face with Lewis Hamilton but he come out with the right money on time to be on F1. Jose Maria Lopez is well known in Europe not in the U.S. where F1 wasn’t really considered as it is right now, however he has a great record as you can see below. At this time in Argentina he has the chance to win on 3 different categories....He was a Renault tester but is much more than just a tester, he is a winner by nature and he is South American, close to U.S right?
Campaign: Karting (1991-2000), FR European (2001 a 2003), FR Italian (2002), Formula 3000 (2004), GP2 Series (2005 and 2006), Renault’s tester of F.1 (2006), TC 2000 ( 2007), Cup FIA GT (2007), TC ( 2008) and Top Race V6 (2009).
Championship: Italian Champion of FR (2002), European Champion of FR V6 (2003) and Argentinean Champion of TC 2000 (2008).

Sonic
27th November 2009, 17:45
The only reason why Pechito Lopez is not yet on F1 is $. He is always fighting first positions; he used to be fighting face to face with Lewis Hamilton but he come out with the right money on time to be on F1. Jose Maria Lopez is well known in Europe not in the U.S. where F1 wasn’t really considered as it is right now, however he has a great record as you can see below. At this time in Argentina he has the chance to win on 3 different categories....He was a Renault tester but is much more than just a tester, he is a winner by nature and he is South American, close to U.S right?
Campaign: Karting (1991-2000), FR European (2001 a 2003), FR Italian (2002), Formula 3000 (2004), GP2 Series (2005 and 2006), Renault’s tester of F.1 (2006), TC 2000 ( 2007), Cup FIA GT (2007), TC ( 2008) and Top Race V6 (2009).
Championship: Italian Champion of FR (2002), European Champion of FR V6 (2003) and Argentinean Champion of TC 2000 (2008).

:D

Sorry but I don't agree. You say the only reason he's not already in F1 is $$$, but as I understand it he is paying big bucks for his ride - so money appears to be the only reason he's landed a seat.

jens
27th November 2009, 19:38
It is a bit puzzling indeed, why among the huge army of racing drivers in the world has this guy been chosen and no-one else? Even the cash he brings with him isn't a completely convincing argument, because there are many other paydrivers too. Maybe personally they know each other well, which has helped the negotiations.

UltimateDanGTR
27th November 2009, 21:08
ok guys, we are all (most) pretty convinced we have another gavianno lavaggi on our hands. so opinion question;

if Lopez where to drive, better or worse than Lavaggi? i reckon better.........

jens
27th November 2009, 21:13
Considering that Lopez has been a Top10 material in GP2 overall standings, he can't be completely useless. Better than Yoong/Ide for sure, maybe somewhere around the talent level of Bruni/Friesacher? :p : After all, in GP2 Lopez was quite comparable to Bruni.

Nikki Katz
27th November 2009, 21:13
A lot better I imagine, bear in mind that Kobayashi was also a midfield GP2 driver, albiet more recently. But he's still probably going to be the worst on the grid by some margin. Unless Lotus field Yoong, of course.

truefan72
27th November 2009, 21:19
I really have no idea wether Lopez has any real talent.
Technically he is an American driver, just South American, but sure not a US driver.
What really bothers me is is that all the previous hype is being thrown out the infamous window and USF1 are back tracking on their various press releases.
They are now hiring, oops wrong word, getting a paying driver with thin credentials, assuming he can come up with even more money.
That sure as heck is not the way to build a winning team. He does have some F1 test experience but nothing current.
They need to hire (pay) someone with experience and recent experience. Despite his being Cdn., like me, JV is not the answer.
He has no recent experience and I feel not hungry enough.
Probably the best fit would be Seabass. He has current experience, was as good as his Torro Rosso replacement if not better and knows how to work with people in the US which might be a plus.
He does know how to set up a car and I feel was being overuled on set up at Torro Rosso much like JV was originally at Williams. JV soon got his own way.
He would want to be paid, although he might bring some sponsorship, and it seems USF1 are getting pay drivers.
I actually dislike Seabass but he probably would be a big plus for USF1.
Ok people shoot me down.

I completely agree with your assessment, and Bourdais would be a perfect fit for USF1. Sometimes I wonder why these guys over think the process so much. There are nor prizes for discovering potential and if the driver turns out to be really good, he's leaving the team for better drives anyway. USF1 have been to date a huge disappointment and rather foolish in their entire operation.

If they want to get back on the right path then hire decent drivers and pay to get the toyota car/setup/ works

Dr. Krogshöj
27th November 2009, 21:20
It is a bit puzzling indeed, why among the huge army of racing drivers in the world has this guy been chosen and no-one else? Even the cash he brings with him isn't a completely convincing argument, because there are many other paydrivers too. Maybe personally they know each other well, which has helped the negotiations.

According to Joe Saward, the connection you suspect in the background is none other than Carlos Reutemann. He was a mentor of López early in his career and he is said to be a friend of Peter Windsor.

Easy Drifter
28th November 2009, 01:40
At the present there is only one US driver (I stay away from American as that embraces two continents) who seems to have sniff at F1 and he is not on USF1's scope!

raffin01
4th December 2009, 00:16
:D

Sorry but I don't agree. You say the only reason he's not already in F1 is $$$, but as I understand it he is paying big bucks for his ride - so money appears to be the only reason he's landed a seat.

You should read more about Lopez background and you’ll see what the real reason he is close to be on F1 and for you info Mister , all new Drivers needs to bring sponsor , don’t you know that ?

Saint Devote
4th December 2009, 01:28
Considering that Lopez has been a Top10 material in GP2 overall standings, he can't be completely useless. Better than Yoong/Ide for sure, maybe somewhere around the talent level of Bruni/Friesacher? :p : After all, in GP2 Lopez was quite comparable to Bruni.

Whither Bruni now? Not in f1!

Saint Devote
4th December 2009, 01:31
Lopez will be refused a Superlicence anyway.

And for a driver that is so far away from even having RACED ANY single seater in a top European basd series he should NOT be allowed on the same track as F1's top drivers.

The USF1 story looks more and more like a comedy. Whats next? Hiring Carroll Shelby?

I hope they boot them from the entry list for bringing f1 into disrepute.

Saint Devote
4th December 2009, 01:36
You should read more about Lopez background and you’ll see what the real reason he is close to be on F1 and for you info Mister , all new Drivers needs to bring sponsor , don’t you know that ?

That we would have to "read more about Lopez" is evidence enough that he does not belong in f1.

Just peruse the list of drivers being tested by teams today at Jerez - to people like us on this racing forum the names are enough - we know who they are and what they have done.

airshifter
4th December 2009, 05:05
Lopez will be refused a Superlicence anyway.

And for a driver that is so far away from even having RACED ANY single seater in a top European basd series he should NOT be allowed on the same track as F1's top drivers.

The USF1 story looks more and more like a comedy. Whats next? Hiring Carroll Shelby?

I hope they boot them from the entry list for bringing f1 into disrepute.

He's raced in the same series as some very familiar names in F1 currently, including drivers you seem to like. Granted he didn't perform as well as Nico or most others who made it to F1, but that doesn't mean he has no talent and can't do well in F1.

For someone who claims anything other than praise aimed at Jenson is the result of haters or detractors, you sure seem to hate a guy that is doing nothing other than try to be lifted to the highest form of road racing. And considering there is no evidence either positive or negative about his abilities in an F1 car, you have to really reach hard to form an opion on the lack of his abilities in such car.

I'll again mention Kimi, who was so "inexperienced" that many thought he should never be granted a chance in an F1 car. Shame he was soon passing many of his detractors on track.

Saint Devote
4th December 2009, 05:49
He's raced in the same series as some very familiar names in F1 currently, including drivers you seem to like. Granted he didn't perform as well as Nico or most others who made it to F1, but that doesn't mean he has no talent and can't do well in F1.

For someone who claims anything other than praise aimed at Jenson is the result of haters or detractors, you sure seem to hate a guy that is doing nothing other than try to be lifted to the highest form of road racing. And considering there is no evidence either positive or negative about his abilities in an F1 car, you have to really reach hard to form an opion on the lack of his abilities in such car.

I'll again mention Kimi, who was so "inexperienced" that many thought he should never be granted a chance in an F1 car. Shame he was soon passing many of his detractors on track.

There is a vast difference between people belittling Jenson's performance and simply viewing Lopez's NON-RESULTS and declaring he is not worthy of f1. And not only lack of results, but the total lack of any recent single seater experience AT ALL!!!

Comparing Lopez to Kimi Raikkonen is going from the sublime to the ridiculous. Kimi, since the days he began karting had won national and international championships and was a FR2.0 champion with Manor Motorsports - one of the most respected teams outside of f1 - the year he began testing with Sauber and the next year he was in f1.

Nothing Lopez has done indicates he ought to be granted a Superlicense and I predict that in the event he applies for one, the f1 teams will step in and ask the FIA not too.

I do not like drivers like Lopez. They have done nothing and their presence on track is a danger to real racing drivers that belong at the highest level.

The days of people banging around at the back in f1 in jalopies - becoming mobile chicanes is ended.

Robinho
4th December 2009, 19:57
There is a vast difference between people belittling Jenson's performance and simply viewing Lopez's NON-RESULTS and declaring he is not worthy of f1. And not only lack of results, but the total lack of any recent single seater experience AT ALL!!!

Comparing Lopez to Kimi Raikkonen is going from the sublime to the ridiculous. Kimi, since the days he began karting had won national and international championships and was a FR2.0 champion with Manor Motorsports - one of the most respected teams outside of f1 - the year he began testing with Sauber and the next year he was in f1.

Nothing Lopez has done indicates he ought to be granted a Superlicense and I predict that in the event he applies for one, the f1 teams will step in and ask the FIA not too.

I do not like drivers like Lopez. They have done nothing and their presence on track is a danger to real racing drivers that belong at the highest level.

The days of people banging around at the back in f1 in jalopies - becoming mobile chicanes is ended.

i have to disagree with you here - i agree that Lopez is not from the very top drawer of talent, but he does have experience. he has raced through the series in europe, including winning a race in GP2 and if i'm not mistaken 4 or 5 podiums over his 2 years, so he's no disaster area. he's also had extensive mileage in an F1 car as Renault tester, so he's as qualified as most of the kids who've tested at Jerez this week in terms of superlicence qualification.

whilst he's not been in a top single seater championship for what, 3 or 4 years, he has still been racing, and not just touring cars, but in GT's also.

he's not going to be a dangerous liability, neither is he likely to be a podium or even regular points scorer, that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a chance at F1 level - he'll have tested the car plenty before the start of the year and will come to F1 with more car racing experience than the likes of Raikkonen, Button, Massa and with results in Gp2 comparable with Kobyashi - who IIRC turned up in F1 and simply looked at home right away.

he will easily get a superlicence, he will not be a danger to everyone - however he'll also not get many decent results, but i confidently predict he'll be on a par or at least close to his teammate, assuming its not a seasoned pro who has won plenty in F1.

he probably won't last long in F1, but he deserves a chance as much as most, and more so than a few in the recent past. What had McNish acheived in single seaters right before he joined toyota - what had ralf firman done in europe before Jordan? they were'nt great, but they were part of the fabric of the sport, took there chance and moved on. and on the off chance he turns out to cut it at the top, then fair play to him.

shazbot
12th December 2009, 03:03
Rumours leeking out that the first USF1 tub mold had to be scrapped. Not ideal at this stage of the game.

Saint Devote
12th December 2009, 03:35
i have to disagree with you here - i agree that Lopez is not from the very top drawer of talent, but he does have experience. he has raced through the series in europe, including winning a race in GP2 and if i'm not mistaken 4 or 5 podiums over his 2 years, so he's no disaster area. he's also had extensive mileage in an F1 car as Renault tester, so he's as qualified as most of the kids who've tested at Jerez this week in terms of superlicence qualification.

whilst he's not been in a top single seater championship for what, 3 or 4 years, he has still been racing, and not just touring cars, but in GT's also.

he's not going to be a dangerous liability, neither is he likely to be a podium or even regular points scorer, that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a chance at F1 level - he'll have tested the car plenty before the start of the year and will come to F1 with more car racing experience than the likes of Raikkonen, Button, Massa and with results in Gp2 comparable with Kobyashi - who IIRC turned up in F1 and simply looked at home right away.

he will easily get a superlicence, he will not be a danger to everyone - however he'll also not get many decent results, but i confidently predict he'll be on a par or at least close to his teammate, assuming its not a seasoned pro who has won plenty in F1.

he probably won't last long in F1, but he deserves a chance as much as most, and more so than a few in the recent past. What had McNish acheived in single seaters right before he joined toyota - what had ralf firman done in europe before Jordan? they were'nt great, but they were part of the fabric of the sport, took there chance and moved on. and on the off chance he turns out to cut it at the top, then fair play to him.

Lopez - the new leader of the Lavaggi, Innoue and Ide crowd. Lopez does not deserve chance in f1 because he has accomplished nothing.

There are a plethora of good drivers overlooked and experienced and QUALIFIEd for a superlicence, such as Pantano and Bourdais for example.

Lopez on the grid - sounds like a comedy movie - would undermine the efforts by F1 to prevent situations that were found in previous eras.

Saint Devote
12th December 2009, 03:39
Rumours leeking out that the first USF1 tub mold had to be scrapped. Not ideal at this stage of the game.

If that is a true story then it is effectively over for USF1.

They have published ads for technical staff in Autosport during the last couple of weeks.

From stating that they will be the most transparent and fan friendly of teams - they have turned out to be the most closetted and silent.

No wonder there are doubts that they will even be on the 2010 grid.

Easy Drifter
12th December 2009, 04:56
A few weeks ago Windsor was saying they had quite a few current F1 team members hired but had to wait until the last race to actually have them start.
Contradiction after contradiction and very little hard news.
If the tub mold had to be scrapped the question is why? Design, structural errors or just not built properly. That is assuming the rumour is true.
Remember they also had a huge head start on the other new teams.
Originally they had said they could get all the staff they needed in the Charlotte area.

UltimateDanGTR
12th December 2009, 08:09
wow, USF1 is becoming more and more like 'Team Top Gear' every day.....

Robinho
12th December 2009, 10:22
Lopez - the new leader of the Lavaggi, Innoue and Ide crowd. Lopez does not deserve chance in f1 because he has accomplished nothing.

There are a plethora of good drivers overlooked and experienced and QUALIFIEd for a superlicence, such as Pantano and Bourdais for example.

Lopez on the grid - sounds like a comedy movie - would undermine the efforts by F1 to prevent situations that were found in previous eras.

Theres a plethora of drivers who miss out every year, some deserving of a drive, some not so much. Lopez may not be top of the ree but he's not as bad as you make out. believe me i'm no fan of his, but he has won a Formula Renault Championship, has won a GP2 race and made the podium, and also has driven a large number of KM's in an F1 car - therefore he is QUALIFIED for a superlicence.

i don't rate Pantano much TBH, i like Bourdais, but he didn't take the best of his chance. there are only a few GP2 drivers i think are up to much at the moment, Lopez is up there with the other average GP2 drivers

VkmSpouge
12th December 2009, 11:19
I think we should at least give Lopez a chance in F1 before writing him off as utter rubbish.

speeddurango
12th December 2009, 11:26
If Alex Yoong or Kimi with that much limited resumé could be granted a super license then "anyone" could. I get the feeling that as long as a driver is selected by a team then this driver would most likely get a super license anyway.

Dr. Krogshöj
12th December 2009, 12:49

Makes you wonder why they didn't buy the Toyota design while they could.

"We have offered the IP of our 2010 car for a nominal fee to some of the new entrants but none have accepted," said the source. "We have interest from Stefan GP but it is not clear if they will receive an entry or not."

maximilian
12th December 2009, 13:56
Maybe they DID buy the Toyota design, and that's why they scrapped their own? :confused: At least I would HOPE that to be the reason.

Pretty safe to say that if USF1 is finished, there will not be any other organization who would be able to take over their spot on the grid? And we'll be stuck with 24 cars instead of 26.... grrrrrr :mad:

Sonic
12th December 2009, 14:59
wow, USF1 is becoming more and more like 'Team Top Gear' every day.....

Ambitious but rubbish does fit quite nicely doesn't it?

Dr. Krogshöj
12th December 2009, 18:18
Maybe they DID buy the Toyota design, and that's why they scrapped their own? :confused: At least I would HOPE that to be the reason.

Pretty safe to say that if USF1 is finished, there will not be any other organization who would be able to take over their spot on the grid? And we'll be stuck with 24 cars instead of 26.... grrrrrr :mad:

Stefan GP, anyone?

http://www.stefangp.com/jobs.html

jens
12th December 2009, 18:55
Stefan GP, anyone?

http://www.stefangp.com/jobs.html

From their website:

Slightly advantage if you are ex Toyota F1! :D

Actually I'd like to see the TF110's racing next year - it could be a fairly decent machinery and would potentially add some more depth to the field. So in case the USF1 project collapses, it would be sensible to give the last grid spot to Stefan GP.

UltimateDanGTR
12th December 2009, 19:34
Ambitious but rubbish does fit quite nicely doesn't it?

well from the outside it certainly looks like it!

mind you, i hope we are all wrong and USF1 does (somehow) become a respectable Formula One team.

Its unlikely, but i hope........

Sonic
12th December 2009, 22:32
well from the outside it certainly looks like it!

mind you, i hope we are all wrong and USF1 does (somehow) become a respectable Formula One team.

Its unlikely, but i hope........

Me too. Much as I Joke at their expense I really want them to do well, they're just not doing anything that makes it look likely.

VkmSpouge
12th December 2009, 23:46
Pretty safe to say that if USF1 is finished

Yes, it is pretty safe to say that based on unsubstantiated rumours.

maximilian
12th December 2009, 23:58
Yes, it is pretty safe to say that based on unsubstantiated rumours.
I said IF.

And so far, seeing that there has been really next to nothing put forward as evidence that they are on track with their development, it's almost like the REAL rumor is that "USF1 will be entering Formula 1 in 2010", not that they will NOT be entering! :D

Mekola
29th December 2009, 13:42
López now starts his re-acclimatisation to formula cars. Today and tomorrow will test a Sudam F3 car (a Dallara F309-Berta) at Río Hondo autodrome and is planning also to test a World Series car in Spain, to be more fit when the USF1 car will be ready to race.

maximilian
29th December 2009, 13:58
You mean IF the USF1 car is ready to race. :p Ever.

The whole thing has "P26" written all over it :dozey:

52Paddy
29th December 2009, 16:10
I must admit that its been a while since we've had this kind of pre-season chat. This reminds me of late 80s/early 90s F1. Those teams that just so desperately tried to get onto the grid. And those that succeeded doing so badly, some to the extent of ruining some promising young guns chances in the F1 game (Gary Brabham anyone?)

I hope this team makes the grid. And I hope they do crap. I really do. I guess its the way I like my F1. We've so many teams with a potential to win in 2010 (McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull). Others are there who could make a strong surprise, maybe collect some podiums (STR, Sauber, Force India, Williams, Renault?). And then there's the new cream of the crop who could go either way, and, for me, I like my racing to include the 3-5 backmarkers who deserve an F1 rejects page but who just won't get out of the sport. A return to a previous era? Oh, the excitement! :bounce:

Malbec
29th December 2009, 22:47

As others have mentioned are you aware of a Finnish driver called Kimi? He's quite quietly spoken so may have flown under your radar a bit. Rumour has it that he only got as far as FRenault before being scooped up by Sauber. Seems like this Lopez guy got as far as GP2 though, remind me whether thats a more advanced formula than FRenault or not?

What do you rate as a 'top' European based single seat series anyway? Don't FRenault or GP2 count? Am I correct in thinking that this guy has more top level single seater (bar F1) experience than superhero Jenson did?

I have my doubts about Lopez but to write him off before you've even seen him in an F1 car? How can you write someone off before knowing their history, the reasons for their underperformance so far? I bet you can come up with a million and one reasons for why Jenson hadn't one a single significant world championship before getting his F1 drive, don't you think its time you apply equal standards to all drivers, not just the ones you happen to be a fan of?

Mekola
29th December 2009, 23:25
And López has not one, but two European formula championships on his own: In 2002 he awarded Italian F. Renault 2000 title (beating none other than Robert Kubica), and in 2003 was champion of short-lived European F. Renault V6 (a series that later merged with WSR).
Also was unoficially under the scouting of Giancarlo Minardi during 2002-2007, albeit being in the RDD program during 2003-2006.