PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Testing Rules

vintage
17th November 2009, 19:29
Anyone know exactly what the 2010 testing rules are?

gloomyDAY
17th November 2009, 20:57
What the hell do you mean?

vintage
17th November 2009, 23:15
Sorry - I meant what are the in-season testing rules. Will third drivers be involved during the race weekends? I had heard something about 1 hour on Fridays, but was unsure if any changes had been announced.

tec4
19th November 2009, 19:49
http://www.f1technical.net/news/12314
Complete testing freedom, pending budget cap -- again huge rule changes!

Probably not the best time for 75% interest by MercedesGP? in ex-Honda design team that is clearly not much better than Force India Mercedes team would be my guess, especially with rookie drivers.

tec4
19th November 2009, 20:13
http://www.f1technical.net/news/12314
Complete testing freedom, pending budget cap -- again huge rule changes!

Probably not the best time for 75% interest by MercedesGP? in ex-Honda design team that is clearly not much better than Force India Mercedes team would be my guess, especially with rookie drivers.
Maybe McLaren buyout of 40% Mercedes interest was money Mercedes could not resist spending?

tec4
19th November 2009, 20:17
More KERS, More engine RPM, More Testing, Four wheel drive? sounds like HUGE rule changes that only McLaren, Ferarri, will benefit from, since they have huge "already spent" advantage under the $M45 budget cap? while other teams have not even started KERS testing.

Easy Drifter
20th November 2009, 02:05
NO teams are planning on running KERS.

PSfan
20th November 2009, 02:55
Anyone know exactly what the 2010 testing rules are?

According to the 2010 sporting regs:

22) TRACK AND WIND TUNNEL TESTING

22.1 a) Track testing shall be considered any track running time undertaken by a competitor entered in the
Championship with the exception of :
i) promotional or demonstration events carried out using tyres provided specifically for this
purpose by the appointed supplier ;
ii) three one day young driver training tests carried out between the end of the last Event of the
Championship and 31 December of the same year, any such driver having not competed in
more than two F1 World Championship Events ;
iii) eight one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius
sites between 1 January and the end of the last Event of the Championship in the same year.

b) No competitor may carry out more than 15,000km of track testing during a calendar year.

c) No track testing may take place between the start of the week preceding the first Event of the
Championship and 31 December of the same year.

d) During all track testing cars must be fitted with the FIA ECU required by Article 8.2 of the FIA Formula
One Technical Regulations.

e) No track testing is permitted at sites which are not currently approved for use by Formula 1 cars. In
order to ensure that venue licence conditions are respected at all times during track testing,
competitors are required to inform the FIA of their test schedule in order that an observer may be
appointed if deemed necessary.

f) During all Formula One track testing :
- red flag procedures must be respected ;
- no other type of vehicle is permitted on the track ;
- every reasonable effort should be made to ensure that the recommendations concerning
emergency services detailed in Article 16 of Appendix H to the Code are followed.

g) If, after an incident during track testing, the Medical Warning Light signals that threshold forces have
been exceeded the driver must present himself for examination in the circuit medical centre without
delay.

h) No wind tunnel testing may be carried out using a scale model which is greater than 60% of full size.

i) No wind tunnel testing may be carried out at a speed exceeding 50 metres/second.

That answer your question? :p

tec4
20th November 2009, 03:21
Please modify my previous post, with this FINAL 2010 Regulations summary excerpt:

---dated 20 August 2009---
F1's governing body late on Wednesday published the sporting and technical regulations for the 2010 season.

The headline amendments are the removal of the highly contentious budget cap and two-tier elements, but it was also confirmed that Bernie Ecclestone has once again failed to have his 'medals' scoring system implemented.

'Q3' qualifying, meanwhile, will be contested with low-fuel, with the FIA confirming that refuelling "during a race is forbidden".

A mooted increase in testing for 2010 has not materialised, with only eight straight-line tests and limited running on "promotional" tyres excluded from the strict in-season testing ban.

Additionally, wind tunnel testing is limited to 60 per cent (or smaller) scale models, and tunnel speeds capped at 50 metres per second.

Tyre-warming blankets, however, have survived, and the eight-engines-per driver regulation remains in force despite speculation of a move to five engines.

Also remaining the same is the one-gearbox-per-four-races rule, but the car-plus-driver limit has increased to 620kg, with KERS to remain officially legal in 2010 despite the FOTA agreement to not use the energy-recovery systems.
---