PDA

View Full Version : Motogp back to 1000cc for 2012?

neninja
17th November 2009, 11:22
I don't think this seems to have been mentioned on here yet.

It's been widely reported that Dorna and MSMA want to move back to 1000cc for 2012 in a bid to reduce costs. Kawasaki have gone and Suzuki are apparently on the edge of leaving so something needs to be done.

There seem to be 2 rumours - one is a return to 1000cc prototype engines and the other suggests 1000cc production engines in a prototype chassis. I suspect that the WSB promoters would be less than happy about the latter.

Your thoughts?

Rod Richardson
17th November 2009, 13:20
Thumbs up for the prospect of reverting to the use of 1000cc engines but no way would they approve the use of production engines in Moto 1.

Sad about what it cost the manufacturers to tool up for the 800cc engines in the first place.

Allyc85
18th November 2009, 16:18
Great so the teams spend more money after another rule change, great idea....

The Phantom
19th November 2009, 06:38

That's my take on it too - can't see the point! Sure, the motors may be less stressed at 1000cc (making the same power - they can't realistically use any more), but it won't be cheaper, and there won't be any more powerslides than we see now. In simple terms, a return to 1000cc just means - re-tool for a new motor and parts, re-calibrate the onboard electronics and pit equipment, revise the gearing and chassis etc. etc. All of which costs... money money money money money.

As for production-based motors - it won't be one or the other, the proposal is for both prototype and prod-based motors to run in the same class. The latter would be an option for the funding-challenged teams. I see this idea as Dorna's stop-gap measure, designed merely to get more players in, with - hopefully - a longer term strategy to return to prototype only when a cost effective model is dreamed up. I can see some savings here for non-factory teams, it remains to be seen how a) the prod-based bikes will go against the factory bikes, we don't want mobile chicanes out there, and b) what Infront has to say about it... MotoMatters has some interesting insights into this.

TheFamousEccles
20th November 2009, 23:48

+1

Mach24
21st November 2009, 08:26
1000cc(or 990) + no electronic rider aides = something I wanna see!

mx311
25th November 2009, 22:37
It's supposedly the teams and manufacturers who are pushing for the rule change, IRTA are the ones behind the push.

The rules are supposed to be just like Moto2, prototype chassis, production engines, although the engines won't be one make.

In theory it's a good thing, imo. I never liked the 800's.