PDA

View Full Version : The Difficulty Of Second Driver Selection

Saint Devote
15th November 2009, 03:35
An interesting question is how do teams decide who their second driver ought to be. If a team has a star driver such as in the case of Mclaren where Hamilton, given even the sniff of a quick car will make the car work. Problem is that he has a tendency to throw it into the scenery at crucial times such as Monte Carlo and Monza in 2009.

Mika Hakkinen questioned why Woking would rid themselves of Kovaleinen because while his races are generally average, he is a good development driver, is a hard working team member and works well with Lewis. Maybe its because he is usually not in a position to back Lewis up?

Hamilton as we have seen is not phased by whoever his teammate is so Raikkonen would be no problem – but Kimi is not the sort to develop the car while Lewis races ahead to win.
Therefore is it wise for Mclaren to end his contract?

A car designed these days is dominated by the control tire situation and the car will turn out to have a tendency towards either understeer or oversteer.

For me the ideal situation is what Williams have for 2010 and I would have thought that Mclaren, if they had gotten rid of Kovaleinen would have tried to sign Hulkenberg – his racing pedigree is as good as Hamilton’s. Barrichello adapts well and Nico H is expected to do well.

Maybe that is what Ferrari were thinking when the hired Alonso and retained Massa. Question is will Massa accept that – there is potential for rebellion at Ferrari.

Another good pairing will be Button and Rosberg at Brawn. Both are experienced and Rosberg can handle oversteer and adapt where Jenson cannot should that situation arise again. Here’s athought – no driver that has left Williams has ever won in f1 in another team. Rosberg to be the first?

Thoughts in this matter which involves a team's strategy, their number one driver, budget and car's design tendency?

Hawkmoon
15th November 2009, 08:00
Here’s athought – no driver that has left Williams has ever won in f1 in another team. Rosberg to be the first?

Ah, what? Drivers have won both races and titles after leaving Williams. Button is an ex-Williams world champion and Webber is an ex-Williams winner to name a recent pair. Heinz-Harald Frentzen left Williams in '98 and win with Jordan in '99. I think you might want to clarify that point because I'm missing something.

As for your main point, I think teams take a risk having two ultra-competitive drivers. It usually ends in tears for one of them. Ferrari made Massa/Raikkonen work but McLaren failed with Alonso/Hamilton and Raikkonen/Montoya to a lesser extent.

Renault made Alonso/Fisichella work very well and Ferrari used Schumacher/lesser mortals to devastating effect. I'd follow this pattern were I McLaren. I wouldn't pursue Raikkonen or Button as I think neither would work out well with Hamilton. What they need is a guy play the Berger/Patrese/Barrichello to Hamilton's Senna/Mansell/Schumacher. That guy doesn't appear to be Kovalainen as he's not able to pick up the pieces when Hamilton runs into trouble.

Sonic
15th November 2009, 15:33
Second drivers are a tricky thing and for it to work have to fall into one of two catorgeries;

1). The contracted number 2 in the Eddie or Rubens mold. They know what they are signing upto so are generally content to be second best. This kind of relationship does not have a long shelf life as the second driver starts to rebel at always being forced to back down (even when stronger as Rubens managed on occassion).

2). The natural fit. IMO these are the best number 2's, realising themselves they simply are not quick enough to beat the defacto team leader, I'm thinking of Berger/Senna senario here. In these senarios the number 2 learns a great deal from the master and is happy to assist in return picking up the odd win here and there along the way. Kovy seems to fit this mold and should have been able to stay at Macca for years as support to Lewis but sadly the guy just hasn't been quick enough in the races. Shame. Now Macca might end up with the worst of both worlds - two very quick drivers tearing the team apart.

Dzeidzei
15th November 2009, 21:35
As for your main point, I think teams take a risk having two ultra-competitive drivers. It usually ends in tears for one of them. Ferrari made Massa/Raikkonen work but McLaren failed with Alonso/Hamilton and Raikkonen/Montoya to a lesser extent.

I dont think any team can make it work or fail in it. It depends purely on the character of the 2 drivers. Felipe/Kimi worked because Kimi would never bother that kind of political crap. Alonso and Lewis both turned out to be whiners, at least when things heated up. Kimi/Montoya isnt really valid here as JPM never really matched Kimi. He ended up hitting Kimis rear :) which effectively ended his F1 career. In that pairing JPMs ego was far bigger than his abilities.

All in all, Id say Lewis/Kimi would be just fine. I think Lewis would handle that okay, even if he was beaten in every 2nd race.