PDA

View Full Version : New Audio Interview with USF1....making progress

Giuseppe F1
14th November 2009, 16:18
Check out the way Windsor reacts to the Cosworth/Ferrari/Qadbak comment.......seems to suggest USF1 never wanted to use Cossies!

Good listen IMO, Enjoy!:

http://www.formula1blog.com/2009/11/09/f1b-downshift-6-exclusive-usf1s-peter-windsor/

Dave B
14th November 2009, 17:03
If press releases won championships then hand them the trophy now. I hope they're putting as much energy and effort into actually building the cars.

Sonic
14th November 2009, 18:28
I'm with Dave. Its all talk until I see a car.

I believe it is a fact that Campos and Lotus have already taken and passed some of the FIA crash tests - but as yet there is nothing USF1 can show to prove their worth.

I wish them well, I really do, but I hope this isn't just all hot air.

Giuseppe F1
14th November 2009, 18:51
We havent seen ANYTHING from Manor/Virgin and no one has pointed any finger at them yet - I reckon USF1 are further along then them to be honest

DexDexter
14th November 2009, 18:53
We havent seen ANYTHING from Manor/Virgin and no one has pointed any finger at them yet - I reckon USF1 are further along then them to be honest

I think that there might be a bit of sceptisicm towards USF1 simply because they are American and doing their own thing.

Saint Devote
14th November 2009, 23:26
Not skeptisim but the only team that has presented anything IS Campos. But also Lotus has gone through the crash tests. And Manor is believable because of the link with Wirth who did the Acura.

The issue is with both Qadbak and USF1 because they have not even been through crash tests and it is six weeks before the new year begins and testing can commence.

Campos has even had Senna seat-fitted at Dallara - didnt realize he was so much taller than his late uncle.

ykiki
14th November 2009, 23:32
I think that there might be a bit of sceptisicm towards USF1 simply because they are American and doing their own thing.

I'd agree with that. At least during the final F1 race, SPEED TV showed a video clip from their tour of the USF1 factory where we got to see pieces being machined (the transmission, I believe).

I get the feeling that while USF1 may not be as far along as some teams, they're not simply vaporware as some detractors would like us to believe.

Saint Devote
15th November 2009, 00:54
I'd agree with that. At least during the final F1 race, SPEED TV showed a video clip from their tour of the USF1 factory where we got to see pieces being machined (the transmission, I believe).

I get the feeling that while USF1 may not be as far along as some teams, they're not simply vaporware as some detractors would like us to believe.

Oh stop trying to make US F1 the "victim".

All that has happened is an equal reaction to the teams own declarations outspoken attitude. The other teams have said little.

Nobody hates USF1 or is a "detractor" - all that is happening is people are now saying that it is late in the day so SHOW US!

If USF1 is at Catlunya testing with everyone else then wonderful - but until they have something to show, it reallyis all hot air, nevermind showing a few parts being machined.

Easy Drifter
15th November 2009, 01:28
I have been one of the biggest questioners of USF1.
To my mind too many 'pie in the sky' press releases and zip to show for it.
The so called US driver quest and all sorts of names being bandied about and not denied. It turns out most have not been approached plus there is the teeny weeny problem that there are no US drivers (excluding Scott Speed) who have or qualify for the required license. Some might now.
We have had a few obviously staged pictures that are rather questionable.
The Speed 'tour' which I really had hoped to show some real progress was a farce and just hype. An unidentified part being machined. I do agree probably a part of a tranny. But no real overview and no real bodies working except at the very vital computers.
Now I do think all of these teams are really going to have a hard time making the grid. Yes, all of them.
Some do seem to have made real progress so there is hope.
I personally do hope they all make the grid.
I feel that a lot of the animosity (maybe too strong a word) against USF1 is not because of the fact they are based in the US. I think it is mostly because of all the hype and, to my mind, over the top press releases.
They created high expectations and so far have not delivered.
Next fall when they win the Constuctors Championship I sure will look the idiot! :eek: :D

PS. Especially with their star drivers A.N Other and TBA.

ykiki
15th November 2009, 06:16
Oh stop trying to make US F1 the "victim".

All that has happened is an equal reaction to the teams own declarations outspoken attitude. The other teams have said little.

Nobody hates USF1 or is a "detractor" - all that is happening is people are now saying that it is late in the day so SHOW US!

If USF1 is at Catlunya testing with everyone else then wonderful - but until they have something to show, it reallyis all hot air, nevermind showing a few parts being machined.

Oh quit trying to be an a$$ to someone who was just making a comment. I'm not trying to make them out to be a victim. Just stating an opinion that some people are giving them more of a bad time than some of the other teams. Sheesh, just thought I'd see if anyone else saw the tour of the USF1 shop on SPEED where parts were actually being machined - especially when there are other posters in other threads who seem to think that USF1 haven't done anything yet.

...and yes, I realize they may not be as far along as other teams. If they make the grid in 2010, fine. If not, oh well, no biggie.

Giuseppe F1
15th November 2009, 09:07
None of this changes the fact that we have heard and seen FAR MORE from USF1 than we have from Manor......whos to say Manor arent struggling? Wirth onced designed the Acura sportscar?.......So what?!!....this is a different project. I just feel USF1 are getting beat up on a tad much with all this

DexDexter
15th November 2009, 09:43

What about Manor/Manure (if their windtunnel gamble doesn't pay off) as someone stated? Nobody is questioning them. They don't even put the car into a wind tunnel and all we hear is how USF1 is hopeless. I used to think the talk that F1 doesn't particularly like Americans was nonsense but I really don't know now. When Scott Speed drove for Toro Rosso he had some very good races and qualifyings but nobody gave him any credit, IMO he was better than the impression we got. He was considered arrogant from the go, but maybe it was just a cultural thing?

Sonic
15th November 2009, 12:29
I think the reason no ones questioning manor (yet) is that they are not shouting from the roof tops everytime someone in the factory turns on a light switch. It gives the impression of quietly going about the job of building the car. How true that is is yet to be seen, but won't be long in coming out.

veeten
15th November 2009, 13:49
Actually, it's more because the F1 press, which is used to just popping down the motorway and stopping by to get their usual feed of stories to write, is now having to hop a plane across the atlantic, to find out what USF1 is up to.

No F1 press org is going to do that on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. They'll just have to wait until they get settled in their Spain HQ's.

shazbot
15th November 2009, 13:53
Does anyone know when USf1 are supposed to have a car on the ground. I heard that early Jan was the deadline. They've only just hired people for the composites dept and only just started cutting patterns. That would seem very tight to get a car out and running before the first race. What also concerns me is that there is no wind tunnel program. All of the established teams have strong CFD and tunnel programs. CFD certainly has come along way, but it's no substitute for a wind tunnel testing, particularly for a new team. I wonder if the FIA will re-introduce a percentage time qually rule next year? If they do these new teams could be in big trouble - how long will funding/enthusiasm last when they can't qualify?

veeten
15th November 2009, 14:13
What also concerns me is that there is no wind tunnel program. All of the established teams have strong CFD and tunnel programs. CFD certainly has come along way, but it's no substitute for a wind tunnel testing, particularly for a new team.

Actually, it's Manor that's going without a wind tunnel in their design, USF1 is using this one...
http://www.windshearinc.com/

This has been stated since the begining that they would be using the Windshear wind tunnel for their aero development.

I wonder if the FIA will re-introduce a percentage time qually rule next year? If they do these new teams could be in big trouble - how long will funding/enthusiasm last when they can't qualify?

They won't, it's because that there's not enough cars to restart that rule.

Sonic
15th November 2009, 15:13
They won't, it's because that there's not enough cars to restart that rule.

I agree. The 107% rule will not return (at least not next year), but not due to the number of cars - we are at about the same number of cars as the last time that rule was introduced. Its more to do with the fact that the FIA want/need these smalller new teams to come in and boost grid numbers - putting artificial limits on that would not help the FIA's cause.

DazzlaF1
15th November 2009, 20:37
I agree. The 107% rule will not return (at least not next year), but not due to the number of cars - we are at about the same number of cars as the last time that rule was introduced. Its more to do with the fact that the FIA want/need these smalller new teams to come in and boost grid numbers - putting artificial limits on that would not help the FIA's cause.

Plus its unworkable in this new knockout qualifying system, you cant expect a new team first time out to be on the money in just a single 20 minute dash.

All 4 will improve as the season goes on, im sure of that and by the end I would'nt be suprised if all 26 were covered by 2.5 seconds or less.

shazbot
16th November 2009, 01:06
[quote="veeten"]Actually, it's Manor that's going without a wind tunnel in their design, USF1 is using this one...
http://www.windshearinc.com/

This has been stated since the begining that they would be using the Windshear wind tunnel for their aero development.

I realise the link with Windshear but they do not have a model program (yet) for their first car. Maybe they will aero test the full size car, but that simply doesn't come close to a model program.

woody2goody
17th November 2009, 15:33
Any news or rumblings about USF1's drivers yet? What are the rumours?