PDA

View Full Version : when did you....

Sonic
13th November 2009, 12:59
...........become older than the youngest driver on the grid?

For me it was 4th March 2001 with Fred making his debut.

And once you've figured that out when did you become older than the oldest driver on the grid?

That one hasn't happened to me yet.

Just for fun. Knock yourself out. Or dont . :)

keysersoze
13th November 2009, 15:31
Probably in '84 with Senna.

V12
13th November 2009, 16:11
Bahrain 2006 - Nico Rosberg (I think Klien is like a month older than me or something). It did feel weird, and made me feel really old even if I was only 22 at the time, since I grew up idolising racing drivers who in some cases were even older than my parents (like Mansell for instance). I mean there's been high-profile footballers younger than me since Wayne Rooney burst onto the scene but in football you support teams rather than individuals like in F1, so it doesn't matter as much.

Obviously I haven't hit the dreaded mark of EVERY driver being younger than me, I'm guessing it'll happen around the time Alonso, Button, Kimi, Massa, Webber and co retire, they were the last real generation of young drivers to come through that were older than me. Hopefully at least one of them will do a Rubens :)

Thinking about it, despite the current perceived craze for youth, for me 22 was actually quite a good age to hit the dreaded milestone, Alonso and Button were both younger than that when they started driving, by a few years.

Josti
13th November 2009, 16:29
Only last season with Buemi, albeit with roughly two months.

christophulus
13th November 2009, 16:44
Only last season with Buemi, albeit with roughly two months.

Same here. Didn't realise Buemi was only 20 when he made his debut, makes his performance this season even better in my eyes.

blito
13th November 2009, 17:37
mid 90`s for me i guess
for many of us tht question should be "when did you become older than the oldest F1 driver?"

Sonic
13th November 2009, 17:52
That's the second part of the game, so feel free to join in ;)

We've got all winter so no rush :p

inimitablestoo
13th November 2009, 19:12
2000 when Jenson made his debut. He's only about eight weeks younger than me, but that spans a decade... :(

Indeed, the stats suggest I wouldn't have been that good an F1 driver, because the 1970s has so far only produced two World Championships (Villeneuve, born 1971 and Raikkonen, born 1979) whereas the '60s is well ahead (thanks mainly to Michael Schumacher, but not discounting Senna, Hill or Hakkinen) and the '80s are getting away too (up to four now).

Since I hit the big 3-0 in a couple of weeks, I'll stick my neck out (before the arthritis steps in) and say that I'll be older than the oldest driver some time in the upcoming decade... ;)

V12
13th November 2009, 19:17
Also when did people first have a World Champion younger than them, if at all yet? Hamilton in 2008 was the first (and so far only :) ) for me.

jonny hurlock
13th November 2009, 23:08
hungary 2007 with Sebastian Vettel

woody2goody
14th November 2009, 03:49
Young Driver: I'm pretty sure it was Buemi this year, I'm older than him by a good few months I think. I'm older than Alguersuari by 6 months or so too.

World Champion: Hamilton's a few years older than me. Hopefully it won't happen for a while :)

Oldest driver: I'm a good 16/17 years behind Rubens, and if you count Luca Badoer in this then a bit more :D

harvick#1
14th November 2009, 05:03
I think it was Vettel in 07 US GP

F1boat
14th November 2009, 06:10
Hmm, good question. Lewis in 2007, maybe? I am not sure.

GridGirl
15th November 2009, 14:52
No idea but I remember thinking when Gerhard Berger retired that he'd been an f1 driver for all but three or four years of my life and I'd been bought up with f1 from the day I was born. I remember meeting Reubens for the first time when I was still in primary school before he even made it into F1. Now that's a scary memory.

K-Pu
15th November 2009, 18:00
Bahrein 2006 with Rosberg too.

To make it a bit more precise, I´m 77 days older than Kubica.

And I´m not older than Barrichello, and I won´t get 12 years more instantly to overtake him :D

jonny hurlock
15th November 2009, 18:45
I think it was Vettel in 07 US GP

oh yeah, i forgot about that race, kubica was injured

AndyL
18th November 2009, 17:36
Lots of youngsters on this thread trying to make everyone else feel old :) I reckon it would have been the end of '95 with Jan Magnussen for me... but thanks to Rubens I still won't be older than the oldest driver next year.

jens
19th November 2009, 12:13
2007 US GP. Can't recall any earlier case from the top of my head at the moment.