PDA

View Full Version : Favourite BTCC memory

GRAVETT
21st February 2007, 15:31
so guys this is a post for you all to add your favourite memory from the btcc.
for me my favourite memory had to be birmingham 1990 watching at halfords on the big screen as a rather irate john cleand helpfully removed frank sytner from his car by his head. i dont condone violence in any form but that was pretty funny to see. tim harvey also pulled up alongside the screen and watched the bout happen clealry lauging inside his sierra. the bbc didnt show nerarly half of what we fans trackside witnessed.

for racing i have to say i go back in time again and think the 1990 snet race in its entrity is also a fantastic memory also.

off topic a bit now and for the mad monk. the slow down lap at the end of the 1990 birmingham tvr tuscan race was also pretty spectacular. if sure you know what i mean. ;)

Captain VXR
21st February 2007, 16:56
My favourite memory is Giovanardi at Knockhill 2006 race 2. Pure class, and lots of carnage.

Allyc85
21st February 2007, 18:11
My best memory is my 1st ever touring car meet at Thruxton in 2001. Not a classic year but seeing the cars on the limit through the 1st turn was awsome!

kmchow
21st February 2007, 18:23
Watching the 94 YIR videos when the Volvo estate was first presented to the media, the cameras caught a lot of drivers with smirks or using their hands to cover their mouths (from shock or wanting to laugh out loud). Anyone else recall that?

Captain VXR
21st February 2007, 18:36
My best memory is my 1st ever touring car meet at Thruxton in 2001. Not a classic year but seeing the cars on the limit through the 1st turn was awsome!

I was at the first turn in 2005, it was awesome.

SEATFreak
21st February 2007, 19:13
My earliest favourite memory, since 2001, would have to be Croft 2004.

I went to Croft thinking virtually "Here we go again. Another lesson in racing from VXR." I never gave my team at the time WSR a chance. Though Reidy had been quite competitive. But Anthony somehow managed to outpace the Vauxhall's of Yvan and Thommo in Race 1.

LiamM
21st February 2007, 20:21
Simple Donington 98 with Mansell, got soaked to the bone for some awesome racing.

Ian McC
21st February 2007, 20:25
Donington 99 ;)

Brands, October 2005 :D

Also for some mad reason the decider in 2001, God knows why, the weather was horrible, certainly one of those when the memory is a lot better than the actually event.

captin 1 VXR
21st February 2007, 20:37
well i say all of the 80 s and 90 s god i feel old

The mad monk
21st February 2007, 21:02
Hey Gravett!
Yep,that slow down lap was rather amusing!At Halfords,got it on the marbles,took off the door mirror and a few scratches right in front of the missus,the sponsor(Charlie Middlton and his wife)and.....Stefan!!!
Everytime I go into Brum now with Stef,we go past Halfords hairpin,and he ALWAYS takes the proverbial!!
End result was I was up in front of the FIA steward and CofC with Jean Alesi and Kurt Luby;all fined 500usd for doing doughnuts at Halfords!
Ah well,I still won it and enjoyed myself!

Les
21st February 2007, 21:07
I have to say it must be Huffy's first win at Brands - that last lap was just mind blowing

tin-top fan
21st February 2007, 21:22
have to agree with you there les- was my first ever live motor race as well!

Brown, Jon Brow
21st February 2007, 21:34
Donington 1998 mansell in the wet.

Knockhill 2004 and Bratch 2004- Huffys last lap :D

GRAVETT
21st February 2007, 22:40
quality days indeed 'mad monk' have to say that the tuscan in that colour scheme is still to this day one of my favourite looking race cars.
its hard for me to think of any great memories since 1990, not saying there are'nt any, but pretty much the entire 80's were, year in year out, awesome !
mansells win was worth getting soaked. sytners win a silvestone in the wet was awesome although the race was null and void. if only we had drivers of the same calibre as sytner, rouse, gravett and HODGETTS !! in the btcc now.

The mad monk
21st February 2007, 23:32
Well,you could have a Hodgetts(junior)if this damned money tree would flower in the back garden!

GRAVETT
21st February 2007, 23:44
Yeah ! those pesky money trees. cant even get a bleeding money twig to grow let alone a tree here hah !
it would be good to have the name back, but also for 'junior hodgetts' to be there for himself too. he's very promising, certainly one of the most grounded racers ive seen in a while. better than alot of the 'crash em bash em guys' that seem all too common in tin tops nowadays.

KILOHMUNNS
21st February 2007, 23:53
2 events stay in the memory but I can't remember the years (I was still very young back then!!). Firstly when Lindgren didn't take too kindly at being taken off and when Sytner was taken out on the warm up lap.

The season for me was 1994 as this was when I first went to watch the racing at the circuits.

I wish I could get a money tree as just getting a licence would be an achievement (my one ambition in life is to race at least once completively!!)

btracer
22nd February 2007, 02:22
Brands 94, Volvo estate in the pitlane just before it went out. As a youngster seeing a Volvo estate racing car was unreal :p :

speedy king
22nd February 2007, 20:28
Thompson winning the championship at Donington in 2002 and Huffy winning his first BTCC race at Brands Hatch :)

Radders
25th February 2007, 11:19
Plato chasing down Matt Neal in 2005 out back at the Bradn GP circuit - got a phone video, bombing along like men possessed and the voice of LK sayin " Longdistance-king, firey place below the ground."

SEAT's win on their debut at Thruxton

The Toledos creaming down the hill out of druids and feeling the row of seat in front of us shake (this might a be a bit personal, but the chaps with me, I know you still think I'm odd on that one....)

From the TV Vincent Radermecker in 1999 sitting patiently behind Rydell up the hill at Thurxton when he so easily could have passed him.

The pack screaming into the chicane at Rockingham

And when not BTCC, the qualifying at the WTCC race last year was one of the best sessions I've ever witnessed, so much change going on as the circuit dried, it was great fun!

Those are the ones that come to mind straight away.

Radders
25th February 2007, 11:20
Oh yes, the 1992 season review with Soper going mega sideways through the kidney at Brands in his 318is(?), hehehehe - Good lad!

BDunnell
25th February 2007, 16:31
Definitely the second race in the second Donington meeting of 1998, with Mansell taking the lead in the wet. One of the best motor races I've ever seen in any formula.

MBailey06
25th February 2007, 18:02
quality days indeed 'mad monk' have to say that the tuscan in that colour scheme is still to this day one of my favourite looking race cars.
its hard for me to think of any great memories since 1990, not saying there are'nt any, but pretty much the entire 80's were, year in year out, awesome !
mansells win was worth getting soaked. sytners win a silvestone in the wet was awesome although the race was null and void. if only we had drivers of the same calibre as sytner, rouse, gravett and HODGETTS !! in the btcc now.

I agree the calibre is not as good as it was, but that is mainly because teams today are giving the younger less experienced drivers a fair trial at the BTCC to see whether they are right for the championship and it is these drivers that often cause any of the "crash bash" chaos.

Scuderia ferrari
27th February 2007, 22:52
Prolly knockhill last year on the last lap of one of the races, there was all that contact! Sad JP could not take to the grid again though.