PDA

View Full Version : IMS continuing rehab of the house that TG built

Wilf
11th November 2009, 16:13
Ron Green, Director of PR for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was released after an eleven year stint as the spokesperson for the facility which includes the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.

CEO Jeff Belkus is reported on IndyStar.com to say the release of Green and other significant staff reductions were necessary to offset recent financial losses.

Ron was hired by Leo Mehl to manage PR for the then PepBoys Indy Racing League in 1999 as well as the Speedway.

There still hasn't been a significant position taken by Belskus other than there will be no change. Except, and awful lot of heads are rolling.

NickFalzone
11th November 2009, 17:17
You'd think with more money coming in now they'd have stopped the bloodflow but apparently not.

indycool
11th November 2009, 18:51
Think Wilf has it right. IMS had amassed a talented staff over the years. Like every other company in the world, finances dictate what you can do, so I think Belskus is just being honest about that.......Green was there 11 years, so he did the job and kept it going for a long time.

Blancvino
11th November 2009, 20:28
Think Wilf has it right. IMS had amassed a talented staff over the years. Like every other company in the world, finances dictate what you can do, so I think Belskus is just being honest about that.......Green was there 11 years, so he did the job and kept it going for a long time.

If you ask me, it's a bit difficult to call those associated with a money losing business talented. Most talented people would migrate to greener pastures. I'm pretty certain the team was/is stacked with those that served at the wishes of the grandson.

I think the new CEO is trying to make a go of a pretty crappy situation.

indycool
11th November 2009, 22:46
Well then, a whole bunch of companies are on the ropes right now in this economy.

indyracefan
11th November 2009, 23:03
Changes have been badly needed, especially in the PR & Marketing departments. Whether this reflects shotty performance or simply cost-cutting is unknown. We'll now be able to better see if some of these positions were held hostage by previous management or if it was just incompetence.

garyshell
12th November 2009, 05:37
If you ask me, it's a bit difficult to call those associated with a money losing business talented. Most talented people would migrate to greener pastures.

Why? Ever hear of loyalty? Or believing in what you are doing DESPITE the economics? Business history is full of stories of people who toughed it out to make their business a success. Just as there are plenty of stories of carpet baggers who move from job to job worried only about their own personal wealth.

I'm not making any comment here on the particulars of those leaving the IRL, just more of a general reaction to your quote above.

Gary

Blancvino
12th November 2009, 11:56
Why? Ever hear of loyalty? Or believing in what you are doing DESPITE the economics? Business history is full of stories of people who toughed it out to make their business a success. Just as there are plenty of stories of carpet baggers who move from job to job worried only about their own personal wealth.

I'm not making any comment here on the particulars of those leaving the IRL, just more of a general reaction to your quote above.

Gary

If you worked for a company that was clearly in the crapper would you not start looking for a better place to hang your hat? I got to question "talent" that is willing to stay.

The business history of the IRL is about the same as Champcar if you ask me ... worthless. Would you stick around?

There is a glimmer of hope that the Izod program may produce fruit. A complete "do over" seems to be in order, if you ask me.

indycool
12th November 2009, 14:36
Oh, Blancvino, how can you even tell about each of several hundred employees of a place and their individual talents? We all know people, in these economic times, who have lost their jobs and it hasn't been based on merit or demerit. Many of those people worked their fannies off to do their part in bringing together the split, no small feat in a short period of time. Good luck to those at IMS -- and Joe's Axle Shop and Nostradamus Fudge Company, etc., in landing something that works.

Wilf
12th November 2009, 14:50
If you worked for a company that was clearly in the crapper would you not start looking for a better place to hang your hat? I got to question "talent" that is willing to stay.

The business history of the IRL is about the same as Champcar if you ask me ... worthless. Would you stick around?

There is a glimmer of hope that the Izod program may produce fruit. A complete "do over" seems to be in order, if you ask me.

In 2002 Ron Green left IndyCar to concentrate on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Since then he watched the Michilen man take the air out of the F1 race which was followed shortly thereafter by Goodyear forgetting they were responsible for bringing tires that lasted longer than 25 miles.

While I can't say it was Ron's doing, the attendance for the Greatest Spectacle in Racing has strongly rebounded after several years of decline. Me thinks some people are painting with a pretty broad brush.

garyshell
12th November 2009, 15:51

If there was no hope of a recovery, of course. But if there was a glimmer, I might look around to be ready if that glimmer faded away. I have to question "talent" that is ready to jump ship at the first glimpse of a greener pasture. It happens WAY too much these days.

I think where we differ is on the degree to where things are in the tipping point of folks deciding to bail. If we were talking about CART, I could understand the sentiment. Now before you jump to any conclusions about that let me explain. CART had no real assets, in its wanning days I can understand "talent" seeking out a place to land. But ICS has one very important asset, it sits at 16th and Georgetown. And because of that asset there is still a glimmer of hope. And one that, to me, should give pause to those who want to jump ship. It is the reason IZOD is on board, you can count on that. And even you see that as a glimmer of hope.

Gary

Blancvino
12th November 2009, 15:51
In 2002 Ron Green left IndyCar to concentrate on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Since then he watched the Michilen man take the air out of the F1 race which was followed shortly thereafter by Goodyear forgetting they were responsible for bringing tires that lasted longer than 25 miles.

While I can't say it was Ron's doing, the attendance for the Greatest Spectacle in Racing has strongly rebounded after several years of decline. Me thinks some people are painting with a pretty broad brush.

Me thinks some people need to take the blinkers off.

The phrase, "it's not my fault, but it's my responsibility" comes to mind.

Now that the grandson is out of the picture, from my observation post, there is hope. That is the gist of my comments of late.

The fact there is significant personnel changes is normal when upper management changes. I worked for a company that brought in a new CEO. One fine spring morning the HR director pulled myself and 16 co-workers (the entire department) into a conference room and started the meeting by saying, "By no fault of your own, you are being separated ... blah, blah, blah."

Blancvino
12th November 2009, 15:57
If there was no hope of a recovery, of course. But if there was a glimmer, I might look around to be ready if that glimmer faded away. I have to question "talent" that is ready to jump ship at the first glimpse of a greener pasture. It happens WAY too much these days.

I think where we differ is on the degree to where things are in the tipping point of folks deciding to bail. If we were talking about CART, I could understand the sentiment. Now before you jump to any conclusions about that let me explain. CART had no real assets, in its wanning days I can understand "talent" seeking out a place to land. But ICS has one very important asset, it sits at 16th and Georgetown. And because of that asset there is still a glimmer of hope. And one that, to me, should give pause to those who want to jump ship. It is the reason IZOD is on board, you can count on that. And even you see that as a glimmer of hope.

Gary

No augment here. Izod could be a game changer. Now that the grandson is gone, and if they keep the sisters out of the till, get some cars that are not dogs, there is a fighting chance this could turn around to be sustainable. I think the glory day of the past may be too much to ask but a quality product is in grasp, finally.

Blancvino
12th November 2009, 18:39
Oh, Blancvino, how can you even tell about each of several hundred employees of a place and their individual talents? We all know people, in these economic times, who have lost their jobs and it hasn't been based on merit or demerit. Many of those people worked their fannies off to do their part in bringing together the split, no small feat in a short period of time. Good luck to those at IMS -- and Joe's Axle Shop and Nostradamus Fudge Company, etc., in landing something that works.

It's not difficult to look at business empirically and get a feel for the direction it's going. Riddle me this? How many people you you think are going to stick around a wounded business if other opportunities crop up that will allow them to demonstrate their mastery of their craft?

I don't wish anyone to lose their job; that is never a good time. But when there is a new captain at the helm, they want people they trust around them.

I'm actually fairly optomistic that the new leadership and Izod may be the break the IMS/IRL needed. I hope they are able to take advantage of it.

MDS
13th November 2009, 19:04
Well Cavin wrote this

Belskus, the company's longtime financial officer, said last week when Izod was introduced as title sponsor of the IndyCar Series that changes are necessary. He suggested the company grew out of luxury rather than necessity, and today's economic climate necessitates efficiency.

Apparently the management is downsizing and outsourcing a good chunk of their marketing efforts to an outside company, something I've thought they should do for years.

I'm happy that they're cutting. I've not ever been impressed with the IRL's people, Green included, and don't think they'll be missed.

anthonyvop
13th November 2009, 22:29
Well Cavin wrote this

Apparently the management is downsizing and outsourcing a good chunk of their marketing efforts to an outside company, something I've thought they should do for years.

I'm happy that they're cutting. I've not ever been impressed with the IRL's people, Green included, and don't think they'll be missed.
While i agree with your statement it is interesting that they fire the PR director but not his staff. If they were downsizing you release the staff first and keep the director around to clean up.
Also I find it interesting that no replacement was named or even mentioned.

MDS
14th November 2009, 01:32
Anthony,

Apparently there are going to be more cuts announced next week, so I wouldn't say the staff is safe. There's a chance they being held on until next Friday to do wrap up and spin down work.

Btw firing people on Fridays is the cowards way out.

Wilf
14th November 2009, 01:35
Well Cavin wrote this

Ron was the PR director for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway; he left the IRL seven years ago. Why do posters continue linking him with the IRL?

anthonyvop
14th November 2009, 03:36
Ron was the PR director for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway; he left the IRL seven years ago. Why do posters continue linking him with the IRL?

IMS vs. IRL.
It is an incestuous relationship at the least.

Lee Roy
14th November 2009, 14:33

The same reason that people link the International Speedway Corproation and NASCAR. They're both owned by the France Family.

IMS and the IRL are both owned by the Hulman family.

indycool
14th November 2009, 23:19
BV, you and I don't often agree, but your post #14 makes a lot of sense to me.

Wilf
15th November 2009, 16:10
The same reason that people link the International Speedway Corproation and NASCAR. They're both owned by the France Family.

IMS and the IRL are both owned by the Hulman family.

ok - Now I understand it. Since the IRL has been a big waste of everyone's time and whole lot of the Sisters' money, those that worked at the parent organization are a bunch of flunkies, hangers on, oh let's be honest, worthless.

I'm not a fan of Ron Green, but, I've never had to go begging for an angle, a story or an interview. If anything, I've received more than I can use.

It is amazing that I can't recall a single post where anyone complained about not getting what they needed from Ron, but after he has been terminated, we find out he was an incompetent boob, only there because he was a friend of TG.

There is a considerable amount of piling on occuring.

PA Rick
17th November 2009, 03:34
The IMS is behind where it would have been had tony kept his hands off open wheel racing. Had they continued to run the I500 using CART teams and equipment and maybe one or two NASCAR races, IMS and open wheel would still be strong.
Aw, there I go again.....

Blancvino
17th November 2009, 14:36
The IMS is behind where it would have been had tony kept his hands off open wheel racing. Had they continued to run the I500 using CART teams and equipment and maybe one or two NASCAR races, IMS and open wheel would still be strong.
Aw, there I go again.....

At this point, what could have or should have, didn't. I think 2010 is the real "Make or Break" year for the ICS. I''m betting the new CEO is on a VERY SHORT leash and the first sign things turn a southernly direction the sisters are calling the auctioneer.

Blancvino
17th November 2009, 14:43
ok - Now I understand it. Since the IRL has been a big waste of everyone's time and whole lot of the Sisters' money, those that worked at the parent organization are a bunch of flunkies, hangers on, oh let's be honest, worthless.

I'm not a fan of Ron Green, but, I've never had to go begging for an angle, a story or an interview. If anything, I've received more than I can use.

It is amazing that I can't recall a single post where anyone complained about not getting what they needed from Ron, but after he has been terminated, we find out he was an incompetent boob, only there because he was a friend of TG.

There is a considerable amount of piling on occuring.

If you are responsible for PR and it's not working, how long do you keep your job? New boss, new direction, new team. Pretty simple.

Lee Roy
17th November 2009, 17:39

http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2009/11/17/speedway-ceo-about-to-get-down-and-dirty/PARAMS/post/11252

Blancvino
17th November 2009, 18:44

http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2009/11/17/speedway-ceo-about-to-get-down-and-dirty/PARAMS/post/11252

I like the fact he has intestinal fortitude.

If the Indy 500 is cut down to a week, that would save teams a lot of $$. It will likely make one offs a thing of the past but at this stage of the game, if things don't change, there will be no series to worry about.

Lousada
17th November 2009, 19:10
I hope that article portrays the most extreme scenario possible. The way he paints it not only the series is on it's last legs, but the track itself is also into big troubles. 2010 will definately be a make-or-break year.

Wilf
17th November 2009, 20:34
I like the fact he has intestinal fortitude.

If the Indy 500 is cut down to a week, that would save teams a lot of $$. It will likely make one offs a thing of the past but at this stage of the game, if things don't change, there will be no series to worry about.

Help me understand how cutting a week off of the schedule is going to save teams any money? Are they going to lay off their employees? How many teams are not based in Indianapolis? Eliminating any possible entries is not a value based decision unless you believe 33 is only a number.

anthonyvop
17th November 2009, 20:38
Help me understand how cutting a week off of the schedule is going to save teams any money? Are they going to lay off their employees? How many teams are not based in Indianapolis? Eliminating any possible entries is not a value based decision unless you believe 33 is only a number.

Travel(Including Gas driving to and from the track), hotel, catering, insurance, laundry...ect. And that is just personnel.

Time on the track costs money. Fuel, oil, tires, parts even such minuscule costs like racer's tape add up.

Blancvino
17th November 2009, 20:53

I respectfully decline to engage you.

Wilf
17th November 2009, 21:10
I respectfully decline to engage you.

Seems surprisingly reasonable.

Wilf
17th November 2009, 21:33
Travel(Including Gas driving to and from the track), hotel, catering, insurance, laundry...ect. And that is just personnel.

Time on the track costs money. Fuel, oil, tires, parts even such minuscule costs like racer's tape add up.

24 of the 33 cars in last year's race were based in Indianapolis. Unless you believe the employees will drive further to the track than they would to the shop, I can't see any significant savings for gas. Hotel costs would be nonexistent for those same teams. Catering, laundry and insurance is no different.

Penske and Newman/Haas Lanigan were responsible for 5 of the remaining 9 out of town entries; those are not the teams struggling to make the grid.

The on track practice days have already been greatly reduced. Bump day is the tenth day of track activity and only six of those days were practice only. If you eliminate a week, any team having an accident which would taking more than a day to repair would not have an opportunity to make the race since there wouldn't be a second weekend of qualifying. Teams have the opportunity to not run the first week; there are teams every year that do that already.

anthonyvop
18th November 2009, 02:13
24 of the 33 cars in last year's race were based in Indianapolis. Unless you believe the employees will drive further to the track than they would to the shop, I can't see any significant savings for gas. Hotel costs would be nonexistent for those same teams. Catering, laundry and insurance is no different.

Sorry but it is obvious you have not been exposed to the daily business side of racing.
When you work on a job at the shop you take lunch breaks and go buy your own lunch. When at IMS the team has to feed you. 3 squares a day plus drinks and snacks.
Laundry for the uniforms used at the track adds up.
Insurance is WAY more expensive for the team at the track than at the shop. More than double the price.
Even though a lot of the teams are based in the Indy area when the 500 rolls around the team members are all kept as close to the track as possible or if possible on site. Time is limited so there is no time for commuting.

I haven't even gone into PR personnel, Sponsorship activation, Motorcoach rental.....ect. So many things are overlooked by the casual fan that it would amaze you.
Add to that parts breakage. not just the cars but tools as well. How many nitrogen bottles will they need to refill? How about Diesel fuel for the generator?

It adds up. Another week at the IMS costs a lot of money...

Lousada
18th November 2009, 09:14
It adds up. Another week at the IMS costs a lot of money...

And most of all it costs the track an extreme amount of money. Virtually no paying spectators but a full staff and safety crew, not to mention the insurance.
Let's face it, nobody cares if there is one day or ten days of practise. All the cars have been the same and have been for years. There is no need for all those extra days of twirling round and round.

Wilf
18th November 2009, 17:32
Sorry but it is obvious you have not been exposed to the daily business side of racing.
I guess you hit the nail on the head; I have no experience with Indianapolis based teams providing three meals a day, transportation and lodging to Indianapolis based crew members while they are working the Indianapolis 500.

Wilf
18th November 2009, 18:10
And most of all it costs the track an extreme amount of money. Virtually no paying spectators but a full staff and safety crew, not to mention the insurance.
Let's face it, nobody cares if there is one day or ten days of practise. All the cars have been the same and have been for years. There is no need for all those extra days of twirling round and round.

Any concern of the ten or fifteen drivers who do not normally drive IndyCars and or have never driven before at Indianapolis?

Do you really think that the teams were just humoring Marco with his 456 laps, Scott Dixon with 501s, or Dario Franchitti with 478 laps? Maybe these businesses don't know what they are doing; someone wiser needs to step in how to best do it.

Blancvino
18th November 2009, 19:03
A New Indy 500 Format

Thursday and Friday - Practice
Saturday and Sunday - Qualify
Following Friday - Carb Day
Following Sunday - Race

Or

Saturday - Qualify 10:am-3:00pm - Pit Stop Competition at 4:00pm, Final Shake down 6:00pm - 7:00pm
Sunday - Race

Ditch the Indy Lights race

Everybody saves money and it would be a CRAZY week in Indianapolis

Time for a new tradition at Indy. The old one is VERY tarnished. If you think it's got a chance at revival, think again.

Lousada
18th November 2009, 20:02
Any concern of the ten or fifteen drivers who do not normally drive IndyCars and or have never driven before at Indianapolis?

Do you really think that the teams were just humoring Marco with his 456 laps, Scott Dixon with 501s, or Dario Franchitti with 478 laps? Maybe these businesses don't know what they are doing; someone wiser needs to step in how to best do it.

Rookies are let go on Kansas with hardly more than a rookietest. In my opinion pack racing at 210mph on a cookiecutter is more dangerous than Indy at 220mph.

Jag_Warrior
18th November 2009, 20:28
Also look for Belskus to take a hard look at re-organizing the current series schedule. In the end, he may conclude that road and street courses in big city centers are more lucrative than oval races at outlying tracks at such places as Kentucky, Iowa and even Chicagoland. If he does, brace yourself oval fans, some of those round-and-round races will be going away.

:confused: But I thought...

Excuse me, Miss. I know this may sound like a line, but I swear that I know you from somewhere in the past. Have we ever met before???

indyracefan
18th November 2009, 22:22
Another racing series has done quite well racing on many of the same ovals the ICS does, and have in the past. Perhaps if the same planning, financing, promotion and logistics put forth to stage a temporary street event was applied to oval events the numbers might improve. And of course an improved and technologically 'open' rules package for the cars would go a long way as well.

Wilf
18th November 2009, 23:55
Rookies are let go on Kansas with hardly more than a rookietest. In my opinion pack racing at 210mph on a cookiecutter is more dangerous than Indy at 220mph.

They have ten or fifteen drivers drive their only IndyCar race of the year at Kansas??????

PA Rick
25th November 2009, 20:40
A New Indy 500 Format

Saturday - Qualify 10:am-3:00pm - Pit Stop Competition at 4:00pm, Final Shake down 6:00pm - 7:00pm
Sunday - Race

OR -

Sunday morning, tow the car to the track using a tow bar only.
(no trailers permitted)
If more than 33 cars show up, have two 20 lap races sunday morning to detemine first 22 positions.
Remaining cars run in "consolation" race to fill final 33 positions.

Bring out the bands and balloons and fly by etc.

Start the race, winner's car goes to museum.

There you go, only one meal, no laundry, one day of insurance, and hardly any track time to pay for.

Did that certain someone really drive this series down this far?

Wilf
26th November 2009, 00:45
OR -

Did that certain someone really drive this series down this far?

He's still doing it. Robin says TG is so enamored with the series that after he quit as President/CEO of the IndyCar Series, he now wants to buy it. That makes sense, doesn't it?

Mark in Oshawa
30th November 2009, 05:55
FIrst off, I agree with the sentiment truly talented people at IMS/IRL (they are one and the same, no one should think otherwise) would have left already or been more successful. I have always thought the IRL promotional side and marketing has been rather awkward and not really worthy. Therefore, if people on this side of the shop are being gassed, I cant really say the IRL/IMS organization is wrong to do it. I am sure they are nice people, and some may have been good at their jobs, but this ship only is still around because the people on the other ship ran it aground faster.

Now, I think this year has to see change for the better. I think tho with the recent Sao Paolo race added with 4 months prep time, there is panic afoot.

As for condensing Indy to one week, I don't like it BUT I can understand why it might happen. IT is a myth that rookies need all the BS that IMS puts them through to come race there. It is almost insulting when they do it to accomplished drivers from other forms of racing. Nigel Mansell had to do a rookie test? REALLY? C'mon...lets not insult the intelligence of anyone. It is all part of the mystique and myth of the 500. It isn't reality. The only time that a rookie needs advice at this place in a serious manner is on the start where it is 11 rows of 3. Outside of those first few minutes, racing here isn't that much different than if they ran any other flat oval or running at Texas speedwise.

One week will work.....but it will be a shame. Personally, the month of May was special to me as a kid reading about day by day what went down in practices. Of course....that went aside when a certain fool pretty much had to buy people rides to MAKE a 33 car grid......