PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get annoyed....

gloomyDAY
7th November 2009, 16:11
when drivers say the name of the title sponsor and team they work with?

For example, Lewis said the following:

We started the season with what was the slowest car in the field, but we never gave up, and on Saturday in Abu Dhabi, you could argue that we had the fastest car out there. That's an absolutely incredible achievement – and I can't think of a single team other than Vodafone McLaren Mercedes that could have done that.Ach! Reminds me a lot of NASCAR when drivers spiel the entire roster of sponsors.

I just hope drivers don't start saying, "Marlboro, Etihad, Bridgestone, FIAT, Ferrari, Alice, #7" before they say a word worth noticing.

LiamM
7th November 2009, 16:14
I think Vodafone would be even more annoyed if he didn't say it

UltimateDanGTR
7th November 2009, 16:17
probably in the contract there is somewhere that says the driver/team member has to mention the sponsors name when talking about his team.

still, its annoying. reminds me of the 70s and 80s with colin chapmans 'john player specials' rather than there true name........

airshifter
7th November 2009, 16:28
Keeping your sponsors happy and in the limelight go hand in hand with continued sponsorship and good relations. It may be the team itself that does the actual work, but without the money to do so there is no team.

To me it's no different or less important than drivers that bring up how important the engineers and mechanics are to the team.

MrJan
7th November 2009, 16:31
If we want F1 to be the pinnacle then we have to accept that teams and drivers will whore themselves out for funding. It would be worse if the whole sport did it, like the Burger King F1 Championship.

anthonyvop
7th November 2009, 17:06
If we want F1 to be the pinnacle then we have to accept that teams and drivers will whore themselves out for funding. It would be worse if the whole sport did it, like the Burger King F1 Championship.

"whore themselves out"?
F1 is a business as is all professional motorsports.
Lewis Hamilton races in F1 because of Vodafone, McLaren and Mercedes not in spite of them.

MrJan
7th November 2009, 17:17
"whore themselves out"?
F1 is a business as is all professional motorsports.
Lewis Hamilton races in F1 because of Vodafone, McLaren and Mercedes not in spite of them.

Just because it is necessary doesn't make the whole thing any more palatable :)

CaptainRaiden
7th November 2009, 20:36
I think it's pretty obvious that whatever drivers say, it goes through a PR machine before getting published on the net or any newspaper. For example, any of Ferrari's press releases in the last year, or any of the track guides, make Kimi sound like a poet, when we all know he tells it as damn straight as possible.

What Lewis might have said must only be "Mclaren," and by the time it went through the PR machine, it became "Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes." Don't slack the driver for this, because IMO they don't even have the time to say all of that. :p

woody2goody
7th November 2009, 20:37
I don't like it.

I love NASCAR, but they seem to have misplaced the word 'car'. It really annoys me when someone says 'the number 24 DuPont Chevrolet Impala was great today'. It should be 'the CAR was great today'. Everyone has just watched you win the race for four hours, they know which car you drive and who the sponsors are, we don't need to be reminded.

Also, 'I'd like to thank Pepsi, Dewalt, Shell, etc.' gets on my nerves.

God help us if this makes it's way into Formula One as standard practice for the drivers.

Saint Devote
7th November 2009, 23:01
I dont think Hamilton especially said that - it is the name of the team, remember when tobacco advertising was prominent for example. I'd give him the benefit of teh doubt.

It is not unusual or extraordinary for a driver to day the full name. And even if he does, there is nothing wrong with it. It pays their bills and allows them lifestyles of extreme ease to say the least.

Nobody objects to saying the "Bridgestone softs" or whatever, so why not the racing team?

I agree that thanking each and every sponsor is over the top, very Budweiser versus Moet and something I would not like to see in f1, but that is not what Lewis did.

On the other hand, f1 traditions are also broken when the drivers are required to substitute a fizzy liquid for champagne at grands prix due to barmy religion customs - but then religion is ridiculous anyway.

anthonyvop
8th November 2009, 00:40
I find it glorious!!!!!!!!

I hate it when a driver doesn't thank their sponsor. I consider it not only unprofessional but ungrateful as well.

Saint Devote
8th November 2009, 03:45

I hate it when a driver doesn't thank their sponsor. I consider it not only unprofessional but ungrateful as well.

Gratitude is not part of this at all. It is an arrangment that recognizes the benefit being associated with a team and the team understands that they have to perform reasonably well at least.

The issue is the obvious commercial when nascar drivers bubble over and mention the laundry list of companies.

Formula one is sophisticated and nascar-type behavior will be viewed as gauche.

MrJan
8th November 2009, 12:14

The sponsor doesn't thank the driver though ('cept with money which they probably don't need). If a driver is winning then the sponsor is getting more airtime for their spend, making the product look better and generally doing the sponsor a service. To then be expected to thank them for the oppourtunity of advertsing on their behalf is a little too much IMO. The process of sponsorship is fairly straight cut, sponsor pays money, sponsor gets advertising. It should end there rather than infesting every interview.

keysersoze
8th November 2009, 12:59
The sponsor doesn't thank the driver though ('cept with money which they probably don't need). If a driver is winning then the sponsor is getting more airtime for their spend, making the product look better and generally doing the sponsor a service. To then be expected to thank them for the oppourtunity of advertsing on their behalf is a little too much IMO. The process of sponsorship is fairly straight cut, sponsor pays money, sponsor gets advertising. It should end there rather than infesting every interview.

The advertising arrangement is not so simple: in all likelihood it INCLUDES the stipulation that team drivers mention the sponsor's name during interviews.

A business arrangement relies on both parties being cheerleaders for each other.

Bagwan
8th November 2009, 13:19
Yeah , bad old Lewis , actually uttering the actual name of the team , and in public , no less .

Ewww . Sends chills down the back of the neck , eh ?

Get real , kids .

Those who pays gobs for the naming rights like to hear the name .

Should we also be upset with all those ugly ad signs we have to watch in telecasts of the race ?
And , how horrible is it , that we are forced to put up with corporate colours on all those cars ? Shouldn't they all be white , with huge numbers to tell them apart ?

This is the reality of the situation we have . The sponsors enable us to see cars racing .
Don't slag a driver because he's appreciative .

DexDexter
8th November 2009, 13:45
when drivers say the name of the title sponsor and team they work with?

For example, Lewis said the following:

Ach! Reminds me a lot of NASCAR when drivers spiel the entire roster of sponsors.

I just hope drivers don't start saying, "Marlboro, Etihad, Bridgestone, FIAT, Ferrari, Alice, #7" before they say a word worth noticing.

It's found its way to F1 only recently. I remember banging my head against the wall when watching CART broadcasts in the 90's. Even if you asked "what time is it?" from the driver, he would answer: "My Marlboro Texaco Havoline watch powered by Pennzoil says it's half four." :rolleyes:

markabilly
8th November 2009, 13:56
:laugh:

It's found its way to F1 only recently. I remember banging my head against the wall when watching CART broadcasts in the 90's. Even if you asked "what time is it?" from the driver, he would answer: "My Marlboro Texaco Havoline watch powered by Pennzoil says it's half four." :rolleyes:
:rotflmao:

f1 is just slow to catch up to the sophistication of naptaxicar.......of course that is why each of the top 20 drivers in nascar make far more money than each of the top 20 drivers in f1, and its money that is all important.....just look at what kimi wants

i just love it when gordon shakes that tiny bottle of pepsi after a win.....soon f1 will be doing the same :rotflmao:

opps, last f1 race.......

anthonyvop
8th November 2009, 15:13
And nobody ever uttered "John Player Special" or "ELF Tyrrell" back in the 1970's?

Copse
8th November 2009, 15:40
Yeah , bad old Lewis , actually uttering the actual name of the team , and in public , no less .

Ewww . Sends chills down the back of the neck , eh ?

Get real , kids .

Those who pays gobs for the naming rights like to hear the name .

Should we also be upset with all those ugly ad signs we have to watch in telecasts of the race ?
And , how horrible is it , that we are forced to put up with corporate colours on all those cars ? Shouldn't they all be white , with huge numbers to tell them apart ?

This is the reality of the situation we have . The sponsors enable us to see cars racing .
Don't slag a driver because he's appreciative .

There is a lot of difference between thanking the sponsors for contributing to the team, and squeezing their names into normal sentences that turns the whole thing to gibberish. The names of F1 teams contain at most one sponsor. That is reasonable, and I guess using the full name of the team is ok.
The difference from there to 'the number 24 DuPont Chevrolet Impala was great today' is quite large, though, and I hope F1 never gets there.

If your team management can't negotiate a contract that doesn't forbid you to talk properly, you need better management. Sponsors pay for logos, association, drivers appearing at events etc. but they should never be allowed to control the words of individuals.

wedge
9th November 2009, 00:14

True

Gordon Sheddon/BTCC slipping in "Clydedale Bank" whenever he could was crafty and annoying at the same time.

Rollo
9th November 2009, 00:50
And nobody ever uttered "John Player Special" or "ELF Tyrrell" back in the 1970's?

What of Benetton, Red Bull, Marlboro-Iso, Footwork, Politoys, Leyton House, Fondmetal, Penske, or Ligier Loto?

This question was being asked at the 1906 French GP when Ferenc Szisz was accused of being unsporting when he thanked Michelin for providing his tyres for the event.

I honestly don't care if drivers try to flog whatever products and services are sponsoring them. In one case a driver even changed his name by deed poll to "Peter NGK Janson" so that he could put the spark plug maker's name (NGK) on the sun visor of his car.

If I was a racing driver and I was being paid shedloads of cash, I'd put golden arches on my tie, shave the dynamic ribbon device into my hair and change my name to Tesco for all I'd care. Heck, I'd even be Captain Amazing:

http://www.mediacircus.net/mysterymen______2.jpg

MrJan
9th November 2009, 08:49
I honestly don't care if drivers try to flog whatever products and services are sponsoring them. In one case a driver even changed his name by deed poll to "Peter NGK Janson" so that he could put the spark plug maker's name (NGK) on the sun visor of his car.

And there was John B&Q in the BTCC :D

BeansBeansBeans
9th November 2009, 09:33
Unless we want the sport to be the sole preserve of rich aristocrats and playboys, this sort of thing is a necessary evil.

AndyL
9th November 2009, 11:33
Unless we want the sport to be the sole preserve of rich aristocrats and playboys, this sort of thing is a necessary evil.

Because sponsorship would dry up if competitors didn't shoe-horn the sponsor's name into every interview? Quite a stretch. That was what the OP was specifically complaining about, not sponsorship in general.
Personally I don't think this pantomime-type stuff does the sponsors any favours, it just looks and sounds ridiculous. When you see the comical spectacle of a driver literally wearing two hats after a race, you have to wonder how the sponsor whose hat is underneath feels about the arrangement. Another one that's crept in to motorcycle racing recently is riders having to not only display their energy drink bottle prominently, but also take a ritualised drink from it as they enter the post-race interview.

BeansBeansBeans
9th November 2009, 12:04
Because sponsorship would dry up if competitors didn't shoe-horn the sponsor's name into every interview?

He who pays the piper calls the tune. If McLaren personel refused to refer to the team as Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in interviews, I'm sure Vodafone could find someone else who would be happy to do so.

Mark
9th November 2009, 14:32
No I don't mind at all. After all "Vodafone McLaren Mercedes" is the official name of the team. Now if it were NASCAR or IndyCar he would have probably said "The vodafone Car", which would have been annoying!

UltimateDanGTR
9th November 2009, 16:11

for sure, we already have that annoyingly named 'Nascar Sprint cup series' over the pond, ironically the races are anything other than 'sprints'......

race aficionado
10th November 2009, 04:59
I don't mind it when Juan makes it a point to thank his sponsors and his team before he answers the first question.
He does it fast, doesn't miss a beat and proceeds to answer the questions asked without ever mentioning his sponsors again.
It sounds like he actually means it and I think he does.

:s mokin:

Roamy
10th November 2009, 07:07
If you just stop and think about what the money is creating and the jobs it pays for you should be excited to hear the name as often as possible. Hell Marlboro used to give us cigs at the races. There has been vast amounts of money poured into f1 and you are bitching to hear the name. It just doesn't sound as hip but respect and acknowledgement of the check writer is paramount.

Blancvino
10th November 2009, 13:52
I think Vodafone would be even more annoyed if he didn't say it

No kidding ... Make the people feeding you happy!

DexDexter
11th November 2009, 09:10
I think people here are missing the point, I don't think anyone is against sponsorship or mentioning the name of the sponsor once in a while but if it goes overboard like in the States,it is really annoying. I remember Senna saying Philip Morris and Courtaulds after his last race for Mclaren but that's about it. I heard Häkkinen say Philip Morris or West about two times in his whole career...It's more classy if the driver doesn't state every name in the car all the time.

UltimateDanGTR
11th November 2009, 17:15
I think its all to do with what is agreed between the team and the sponsors to be honest. Kimi Raikkonen doesn't say "I'd like to thank Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro for all their effort over the course of the season".... Or at least I've never heard him say this.

since when did Kimi say anything though? :D