PDA

View Full Version : Dunk or no dunk?

CarlMetro
7th December 2006, 17:06
Inspired by the packet of McVities chocky digestives and a nice cup of tea, both currently siting beside my keyboard, I ask the age-old and previously asked question, do you dunk you biscuits/cookies?

This in turn brings up further questions, such as:

Which are the best dunkers?

Are there any biscuits/cookies than are just no good for dunking?

When did you do your first dunk?

Are you a secret dunker or do you do it in public?

........and of course

Do you think I need to get a life?

Dave B
7th December 2006, 17:12
Custard creams are quite good, Bourbons are rubbish dunkers.

Can't beat a good old chocolate digestive though.

Anyway, thanks Carl. Now all I can think of is "Me BISCUIT! Me Biscuit's fallen in me brew!". :p

schmenke
7th December 2006, 17:26
Top dunkers :up: :
Oreos in milk.
Oatmeal cookies in tea.

Non-dunkers :down: :
Butter cookies in tea (they crumble too easily :s )
Spaghetti in milk (although my wee-one begs to differ :s )

AndySpeed
7th December 2006, 17:31
I'm not a dunker, as i'm not a fan of soggy biscuits. In my opinion, biscuits are crunchy for a reason. However, eating chocolate and drinking a coffee at the same time is a nice little treat.

My flatmates are insisting that I try sucking up hot chocolate/coffee through a cadburys choc finger. Anyone else do this? Why?!

Donney
7th December 2006, 17:50
I dunk and I think it's great!

CarlMetro
7th December 2006, 17:53
My flatmates are insisting that I try sucking up hot chocolate/coffee through a cadburys choc finger. Anyone else do this? Why?!

Yes I have :lips: Don't knock it until you've tried it ;)

BeansBeansBeans
7th December 2006, 18:18
Get a Twix, bite a little bit off both ends, and then use it as a straw to drink your tea, and then eat it before it gets too soggy. One of life's great pleasures.

oily oaf
7th December 2006, 18:39
I like a nice Garibaldi in my cha. Softens up the "squashed flies" a treat.
A word to the wise though. DO NOT dunk an Oatabik in your warm beverage as it's unparalleled powers of absorbency will quickly mop up a pint enamel mug of the strongest brew in milliseconds.

I threw one in the Thames the other day and the tide went out at Wapping.

Powered by Cosworth
7th December 2006, 19:13
The best buscuit are the Tesco Value Choccy bourbon creams, no good for dunking though :(

Tomski
7th December 2006, 19:50
Choclate Hobnobs- non contest!

As Peter Kay say "The SAS of biscuits"

grassrootsracer
7th December 2006, 20:00
I prefer to dunk blueberry or hazelnut doughnuts in my coffee. Cookies (biscuits?) of the oreo variety I prefer dunked in milk.

AndySpeed
7th December 2006, 20:05
I like a nice Garibaldi in my cha. Softens up the "squashed flies" a treat.
A word to the wise though. DO NOT dunk an Oatabik in your warm beverage as it's unparalleled powers of absorbency will quickly mop up a pint enamel mug of the strongest brew in milliseconds.

I threw one in the Thames the other day and the tide went out at Wapping.

:laugh: That reminds me of the Simpsons episode The Blunder Years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blunder_Years) with the all-absorbing paper towels!

(No I'm not a simpsons freak I watched it the other day and just looked it up on wikipedia)

lilmelvschilton
7th December 2006, 20:25
lol

nicemms
7th December 2006, 20:52
I am not a hot drinks drinker so I don't dunk biscuits.

All I can think of this topic is the Peter Kay sketch involving dunking biscuits!

LotusElise
7th December 2006, 21:12
Not a dunker with biscuits, I prefer them crunchy like Andy.
However, on a cold day, taking slurps of black tea with a piece of cold Cadbury's chocolate in your mouth is tasty. It all melts and combines very nicely.

Norwegian Blue
7th December 2006, 22:21
Bourbons are very satisfying if you are quick with them...otherwise they can get you into a right mess :D

donKey jote
7th December 2006, 22:24
Wholemeal Prinzenrollen Dunkey jote they call me :p :

Daniel
7th December 2006, 22:28
I had my first mug of hot chocolate today so I might have to get into this dunking scene. Is there some sort of biscuit that a dunking newbie should start out on and then perhaps progress to a more advanced biscuit?

I heard mint crisp bars are great to dunk and suck with.

Quattroporte
8th December 2006, 00:06
Get a Twix, bite a little bit off both ends, and then use it as a straw to drink your tea, and then eat it before it gets too soggy. One of life's great pleasures.

Yup, you can have a competition with your friends to see who can keep it in there the longest without it collapsing and falling in your drink. :D

Hawkmoon
8th December 2006, 01:13
I'm not a dunker, as i'm not a fan of soggy biscuits. In my opinion, biscuits are crunchy for a reason. However, eating chocolate and drinking a coffee at the same time is a nice little treat.

Down here in Oz we use the Tim-Tam biscuit for this. Apparently the two opposite corners of the Tim-Tam are bitten off which creates a sort of chocolate biscuit straw. As the hot coffee is drawn through the biscuit by sucking on one end it melts the chocolate centre of the Tim-Tam. It's very good, apparently.

I say apparently as I've never tried it due to the fact that I think coffee is one of the most foul concoctions known to man and can't understand why the whole bloody planet seems to be obsessed with the vile stuff. :mark:

Daniel
8th December 2006, 01:14
Down here in Oz we use the Tim-Tam biscuit for this. Apparently the two opposite corners of the Tim-Tam are bitten off which creates a sort of chocolate biscuit straw. As the hot coffee is drawn through the biscuit by sucking on one end it melts the chocolate centre of the Tim-Tam. It's very good, apparently.

I say apparently as I've never tried it due to the fact that I think coffee is one of the most foul concoctions known to man and can't understand why the whole bloody planet seems to be obsessed with the vile stuff. :mark:
I once sucked fruit juice through a double chocolate tim tam. very good if not a bit strange.

CarlMetro
8th December 2006, 11:37
Is there some sort of biscuit that a dunking newbie should start out on and then perhaps progress to a more advanced biscuit?

Well for your novice dunker it's probably best to start with something that has a bit of structure to it, a biscuit of the digestive variety, chocolate covered or otherwise, would be my recommendation. Once you've mastered that you can then move onto more challenging biscuits such as Rich Tea, Nice or the true expert choice - Malted Milk ;)

LotusElise
8th December 2006, 12:21
Note to Daniel and other Tim Tam dunkers:
I have seen Tim Tams for sale in certain Morrisons supermarkets and various delis. An Aussie friend told me they are more expensive here.
I might buy some now, to try with coffee.

Daniel
8th December 2006, 12:38
Thankyou for the information :p

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 12:39
........and of course

Do you think I need to get a life?

No, but you need serious medical attention from the neck up mate ;) :D

Robinho
8th December 2006, 14:32
i do like a biscuit with tea, but no dunking, not ever.

preferabley a McVities chocolate digestive with the layer of caramel or those quite big raspberry and white choc cookies (also McVities i think).

not keen on coffee, tend to find it too bitter, altho i love the smell and coffee flavoured things, am i weird?

expat1
8th December 2006, 14:56
I dunk normal bread and toast into bouillon or soup :s

But I absolutely not like dunking biscuits into tea or coffee, brrr, even to think about the noises that it makes when you bite into the biscuit and suck it into your mouth gives me the creeps.
And donīt get me started on the little crumbs on the bottom of the coffee or tea cup :( uaaaahhh!
I like biscuits with my coffee but not in it :)

Ian McC
8th December 2006, 14:56
You cant beat Rich Tea, as long as they dont break off and fall back in your cup! :eek: