PDA

View Full Version : Puncture

Mark
2nd November 2009, 09:25
Dropped off wor lass at at Haloween party on Saturday about 6 o'clock and decided to take the scenic route home. Just started down a S1.5 country lane and for a split second saw a rock just on the side of the road, BANG!, oh crap, I hope I haven't got a puncture, ah, crap I have!

OK, I thought, no problem, I'll just put the spare on, and I'll be on my way. I've never changed a tyre on my own car but I've helped my Dad do it loads of times and seen it done by professionals, so I know exactly how to do it.

So I spend ages taking all the crap out of my boot and lift up the carpet and find.. a polystyrene spacer! http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/images/smilies/shocked.gif. Where's my spare?! Instead in it's place is a strange looking box and cylinder. Turns out all Ford have supplied me with is a compressor and a bottle of tyre repair foam, which I tried to use but it was useless as there was a big gash in the sidewall of the tyre.

So instead of changing the tyre and being on my way I have to phone the AA who then took nearly 2 hours to get to me just to put the car on the back of a flatbed and take me the 5 miles home. I eventually managed to limp the car around to KwikFit the next day and get a new tyre.

My fault entirely for not checking what equipment I had when I got the car last year, but it's flamin' crazy that you don't get a spare tyre in a new car! If I'd had one I would have been back home within half an hour instead the best part of 3 hours was spent getting home!

I'm now going to look into getting a proper spare!

Storm
2nd November 2009, 09:39
There is no spare in the car? And you never thought of checking it either? :s

But then, I guess punctures are rare in the UK so I can see why you may have overlooked it.

Powered by Cosworth
2nd November 2009, 09:40
The spare in my car is buckled to buggery from the previous owner, so I try to be careful until I get a new one. Until then, that tyre foam stuff is all I have!

MrJan
2nd November 2009, 09:42
Quite common now I believe, used to save weight and the planet etc. etc.

My mate has a Civic with no spare (got extra boot space instead) and he seemed confused when I expressed my surprise. As you say you only have yourself to blame but it is crazy not to have a spare, I guess it's a sign of how people are happy to 'get a man in' rather than do work themselves. Personally I enjoy changing a wheel, although hopefully won't have to now as I've only got a crappy little spacesave which is like a WRC snow tyre.

Mark
2nd November 2009, 09:44
There is no spare in the car? And you never thought of checking it either? :s .

As I've said, entirely my fault, I should have checked it was there.

Dave B
2nd November 2009, 10:01
I've just checked that my car has a spare. I'd never considered that it might not, but all's well :up:

harsha
2nd November 2009, 10:31
In India,it's a must to have the extra tyres.....I don't think car manufacturers in the UK think it's viable to provide an extra tyre for something that is not used most of the time

Donney
2nd November 2009, 12:06
When I buy my next car, which might take a looooong time, I definitely want a spare.

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 13:14
Quite common now I believe, used to save weight and the planet etc. etc.

My mate has a Civic with no spare (got extra boot space instead) and he seemed confused when I expressed my surprise. As you say you only have yourself to blame but it is crazy not to have a spare, I guess it's a sign of how people are happy to 'get a man in' rather than do work themselves. Personally I enjoy changing a wheel, although hopefully won't have to now as I've only got a crappy little spacesave which is like a WRC snow tyre.

Yeah it's silly how detached people are from the nuts and bolts of life. One of the first things my dad did when I got a car was to show me how to change a wheel and why you cracked the nuts on the ground and so on.

Our 500 came with a space saver and I've just checked and one of the steelies I've bought for winter tyres will fit in and the wheel well seems to be wide enough to accomodate the rubber so when I've got the summer tyres on next year I'll carry one of the winter tyres as a spare. It may not be the same width but at least it's the same (or as near as the same) in terms of rolling radius. Sods law means I'll never have a puncture, but at least I know that if I do I don't need to limp around at low speed and then get a mismatched tyre as a replacement because I'm desperate.

Once you've put the tyre goo in the tyre you've almost always ruined the tyre as well. Caroline's Subaru had 2 flats earlier this year and in both cases we used the full size spare to drive around for a few days and then got the tyres repaired at our leisure for about £5 each. Contrast that to putting the goo in and it would have been 70-80 pounds for a new tyre if it had come with goo.

GridGirl
2nd November 2009, 13:25
My Fiesta has a spare. :p Although to be honest I would of thought the fact that your doesnt have a spare and just has a can of foam would have been pointed out to you when Ford handed over the car to you. I've always been told that I have a spare when I've had my hand over demo. Has your car not had a service yet? Ford always have always checked the tread depth on mine at each service too.

My mum had a can of foam when she bought her MG in 2004. Although she never actually got a puncture and never had to use it when she bought her Corsa in 2007 one of the main things she wanted was a spare wheel.

Mark
2nd November 2009, 13:32
My Fiesta has a spare. :p Although to be honest I would of thought the fact that your doesnt have a spare and just has a can of foam would have been pointed out to you when Ford handed over the car to you.

You would think so wouldn't you. A space saver tyre is a £30 option when you buy the car which I would have chosen without a seconds thought. I had assumed that all cars had space saver tyres, it never even occured to me it might not have a spare!

The thing is now it'll likely cost me a lot more than £30, but I wasn't made aware that option was available.

I've always been told that I have a spare when I've had my hand over demo. Has your car not had a service yet? Ford always have always checked the tread depth on mine at each service too.

Yeah, it had it's 12,500 mile service in June.

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 13:39
My Fiesta has a spare. :p Although to be honest I would of thought the fact that your doesnt have a spare and just has a can of foam would have been pointed out to you when Ford handed over the car to you. I've always been told that I have a spare when I've had my hand over demo. Has your car not had a service yet? Ford always have always checked the tread depth on mine at each service too.

My mum had a can of foam when she bought her MG in 2004. Although she never actually got a puncture and never had to use it when she bought her Corsa in 2007 one of the main things she wanted was a spare wheel.
I think handovers froms salespeople vary. Ours was quite good with the 500 and IMHO told us all the things that we needed to know and left the less essential things for us to find out in the manual. He did point out the spare and tbh I think he's the sort of guy who would have pointed out if it had a fix n go kit.

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 13:42
Another thing I was going to mention was that some manufacturers give you a space saver but only give you a wheel well just big enough for a space saver :mark: So you take your wheel off and you're eating up loads of boat space because of them being stingy with wheel well space :mark:

Mark
2nd November 2009, 13:50
Another thing I was going to mention was that some manufacturers give you a space saver but only give you a wheel well just big enough for a space saver :mark: So you take your wheel off and you're eating up loads of boat space because of them being stingy with wheel well space :mark:

I don't consider that to be a big problem. In reality you are only going to be carrying your proper wheel around for a little while until you get it fixed. So it taking up a bit of space in the boot isn't really an issue.

If my Dad got a puncture he'd just put on the full sized spare and leave it on, get the one he's taken off repaired and use that as the spare until another puncture comes along. Gone are the days..

wedge
2nd November 2009, 13:58
Good thing the AA subscription was valid you would've been up s**t creek!

MrJan
2nd November 2009, 13:58
The thing is now it'll likely cost me a lot more than £30

Find out the PCD, find out what other cars have that layout and get down the scrapper. Would expect a Festa to be something like 4x100 which is uber common so you should be able to find a decent steel rim for relatively little. If you only have the housing for a space saver then it'll probably be a bit more tricky but eBay can be your friend.

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 14:03
Find out the PCD, find out what other cars have that layout and get down the scrapper. Would expect a Festa to be something like 4x100 which is uber common so you should be able to find a decent steel rim for relatively little. If you only have the housing for a space saver then it'll probably be a bit more tricky but eBay can be your friend.
I actually sent Mark an eBay link for a suitable rim and tyre.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Fiesta-Steel-Wheel-and-Bridgestone-Tyre-175-65-14_W0QQitemZ190344060816QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2c5163df90

Same rolling radius as his current wheel though 20mm narrower (not a problem when used as a spare) and AFAIK the Mk7 Fiesta (What Mark has) uses the same PCD and offset as the Mk6 which is what this is off but of course I told Mark just to make sure although I'm 99% sure myself.

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 14:19
I don't consider that to be a big problem. In reality you are only going to be carrying your proper wheel around for a little while until you get it fixed. So it taking up a bit of space in the boot isn't really an issue.

If my Dad got a puncture he'd just put on the full sized spare and leave it on, get the one he's taken off repaired and use that as the spare until another puncture comes along. Gone are the days..

Never really a good idea to keep a full sized spare on. If the car is more than a few years old it'll most likely be a different tread pattern, be hard and of course neither of those things are great and the mismatch isn't ideal either.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd November 2009, 16:50
The Goo is great for slow leakers or a small puncture. For bead's breaking or gashes, it is no good. It also doesn't really like cold weather, so in Canada, you get a flat in the winter, the cold kind of takes all the pressure out of the goo inflator.

That said, I have changed tires in the snow and slush and THAT isn't fun either.

As for North AMerican cars, you may get a space saver spare, but you always have one.

Rollo
2nd November 2009, 19:37

My Ka stows the spare wheel under the boot and between the rear wheels. Imagine my confusion when despite having two identical spec tyres from differeent manufacturers, one fit in the space and another one didn't.

A 165/65/R13 from Pirelli and Olympic both fit but a 165/65/R13 from Goodyear doesn't; what's even more bizarre is that the Ka orginally came with Goodyear GT2 tyres. BUT a 165/70/R13 from Kuhmo fits in the space which should in theory be a physically larger tyre... :s

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 19:57
My Ka stows the spare wheel under the boot and between the rear wheels. Imagine my confusion when despite having two identical spec tyres from differeent manufacturers, one fit in the space and another one didn't.

A 165/65/R13 from Pirelli and Olympic both fit but a 165/65/R13 from Goodyear doesn't; what's even more bizarre is that the Ka orginally came with Goodyear GT2 tyres. BUT a 165/70/R13 from Kuhmo fits in the space which should in theory be a physically larger tyre... :s
Weird :crazy:

donKey jote
2nd November 2009, 21:38
I've been driving without a spare ever since I put a 50l LPG tank in it's place :)
I only recently got some free [ad for my company removed ;) ]-Goo, but that was mainly to keep the missus quiet after she found out we'd been driving without a spare for years :p
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Rollo
2nd November 2009, 21:40
Actually, come to think of it, where would Ford put the spare tyre on a Fiesta Mk6? They had fitted as standard 175/65/R14 which has to fit into what is basically the same space as my Ka Mk1 (because they both sit on essentially the same platform.

It follows that if I can't fit some 13 inch tyres into that space, how would in Mark's case, a 14 inch tyre fit at all?

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 21:41
I've been driving without a spare ever since I put a 50l LPG tank in it's place :)
I only recently got some free [ad for my company removed ;) ]-Goo, but that was mainly to keep the missus quiet after she found out we'd been driving without a spare for years :p
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif
donkey jote I don't think Mark minds advertisements as long as they're appropriate and you haven't signed up just to advertise :p

It was one of your tyres that Mark tore a hole in as well.

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 21:46
Actually, come to think of it, where would Ford put the spare tyre on a Fiesta Mk6? They had fitted as standard 175/65/R14 which has to fit into what is basically the same space as my Ka Mk1 (because they both sit on essentially the same platform.

It follows that if I can't fit some 13 inch tyres into that space, how would in Mark's case, a 14 inch tyre fit at all?
That's why I said to Mark to measure up ;)

Mk6 boot, doesn't look like a space saver to me?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/anotha_accent/DSC01348.jpg

Also, as Mark said there is the option of a 14" 5.5j spare wheel and I doubt it's got a space saver tyre on it so I'd wager it'll fit.

schmenke
2nd November 2009, 21:50
...It follows that if I can't fit some 13 inch tyres into that space, how would in Mark's case, a 14 inch tyre fit at all?

Perhaps Mark needs to underinflate the bloody thing... :p :

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 21:55

Also, as Mark said there is the option of a 14" 5.5j spare wheel and I doubt it's got a space saver tyre on it so I'd wager it'll fit.
Googling around

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6212&st=15

They seem to suggest a 14" wheel with a 175/65 R14 will fit. Perhaps sign up and ask if it was all fine.

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 21:57
Perhaps Mark needs to underinflate the bloody thing... :p :
Yeah but then Mark would need to carry around a pump as well :p

I gots me one of these which stays in the car always because you never know when you'll need it.

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/images/uploads/EngineeringAutomotive/cus12202.jpg

donKey jote
2nd November 2009, 22:21
It was one of your tyres that Mark tore a hole in as well.
pity too as I believe they were fairly new. :(

Still, reminds me a bit of a mate of mine complaining about how "my" tires were crap after he did his rims in going over the kerb :laugh:

donKey jote
2nd November 2009, 22:24
In India,it's a must to have the extra tyres.....
how many? :erm: :p

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 22:28
pity too as I believe they were fairly new. :(

Still, reminds me a bit of a mate of mine complaining about how "my" tires were crap after he did his rims in going over the kerb :laugh:
I do believe the tyre was only a few weeks old :(

donKey jote
2nd November 2009, 22:31
I fitted my dad's car up with 4 "special" tyres a few years ago... a week later he drove though a pothole that was disguised as a puddle ! :arrows:

Daniel
2nd November 2009, 23:21
I fitted my dad's car up with 4 "special" tyres a few years ago... a week later he drove though a pothole that was disguised as a puddle ! :arrows:
I've never had a puncture myself *touches wood* :D

schmenke
2nd November 2009, 23:27
This thread is starting to go a little flat...

MrJan
2nd November 2009, 23:33
No need to tread on it Schmenke

J4MIE
3rd November 2009, 00:31
After having to change a punctured tyre at the Acropolis Rally when it was 60 degrees celsius I would gladly have paid a million pounds for a can of puncture repair goo :bigcry:

I didn't realise it damages the tyre though, can't you just get it removed when the tyre is being repaired? I will have to buy a spare can for the amount of time I spend in forests.

GridGirl
3rd November 2009, 07:30
I do believe the tyre was only a few weeks old :(

So it was already a new tyre? Why are you replacing tyres already? If you only had your 12.5k mile service in June you shouldn't need to replace them yet? I got almost 25k miles out of my first fronts and 50k miles out my original rears. :s I get less mileage out of my second set of fronts but I didn't put Zero Nero's back on it.

Mark
3rd November 2009, 07:53

It could be a space saver, it's all about width :p .
In any case, my Fiesta is a Mk7.

Mark
3rd November 2009, 07:55
So it was already a new tyre? Why are you replacing tyres already? If you only had your 12.5k mile service in June you shouldn't need to replace them yet? I got almost 25k miles out of my first fronts and 50k miles out my original rears. :s I get less mileage out of my second set of fronts but I didn't put Zero Nero's back on it.

I got the fronts replaced on the 15th September, so they were around a month and a half old. They were replaced after the fronts wore down to the legal limit at about 20k miles, they were Pirelli Zero Nero's which according to the Pirelli website are softer than 'normal' tyres in order to give more grip, or something.

btw when I had my 12.5k mile service I had 15k miles on the clock ;)

GridGirl
3rd November 2009, 08:50
Ok, it makes more sense if you've done that many miles. From the date of your first service I was guessing your were only on around 16000 miles. Poor service history already. Tut tut, anyone want a cheap Fiesta? Hehe ;) :p

Mark
3rd November 2009, 08:53
I'm only about 1k off my 25k mile service, which I should really get done on time this time!

It was done late last time because I couldn't get it booked in before we went off on holiday to Scotland, which was 1,000 miles in itself.

Rollo
3rd November 2009, 09:26
It could be a space saver, it's all about width :p .
In any case, my Fiesta is a Mk7.

When did you switch the old Fiesta for a new Fiesta?

And... 3 or 5 door? And how useful is the rear window in the real world?

Mark
3rd November 2009, 09:29
When did you switch the old Fiesta for a new Fiesta?

Almost a year ago now.

And... 3 or 5 door? And how useful is the rear window in the real world?

5 door, of course ;)

Well you can see cars behind you, but that's about it really, especially as it gets dirty really quickly and the rear wiper only wipes a small portion of it.

Daniel
3rd November 2009, 11:23
After having to change a punctured tyre at the Acropolis Rally when it was 60 degrees celsius I would gladly have paid a million pounds for a can of puncture repair goo :bigcry:

I didn't realise it damages the tyre though, can't you just get it removed when the tyre is being repaired? I will have to buy a spare can for the amount of time I spend in forests.

It's cheaper usually just to get a new tyre Jamie.