PDA

View Full Version : Runoffs

cosmicpanda
30th October 2009, 10:45
Glock's incident with the sign in Suzuka made me wonder. Perhaps if they put these sorts of signs in strategic locations in the wide runoff areas that we see these days, the drivers wouldn't be able to use them so easily and without punishment?

Yet a driver going off would plow straight through the signs unimpeded and without risk to his safety.

Or is this a silly idea?

I am evil Homer
30th October 2009, 11:24
Silly idea...Suzuka punishes drivers who make mistakes. Huge runoffs ruins many circuits and doesn't punish mistakes.

F1 is a dangerous sport, Glock was unlucky that he hurt his back and that takes huge pressures with the G forces so cannot race the last few GPs

V12
30th October 2009, 14:29
I prefer tracks like Suzuka where if you go off you get punished for it, it's how it should be, motor racing should be about going as fast as you can while staying on that strip of tarmac (adjust definition appropriately for gravel rallying, dirt ovals, motocross etc.).

Maybe they should line the tarmac runoffs with syrup or something, so that cars are able to get slowed/bogged down without spraying gravel everywhere :laugh:

EDIT: Actually, I said that as a joke but thinking about it, is there any high tech surface out there with, for want of a better word, "sticky" properties that would slow the cars down significantly, enough to penalise them for going off, without the associated danger of gravel traps (spraying gravel everywhere, skimming the gravel, flipping in it etc). And if so how feasible would it be? I genuinely have no idea.

UltimateDanGTR
30th October 2009, 15:22
EDIT: Actually, I said that as a joke but thinking about it, is there any high tech surface out there with, for want of a better word, "sticky" properties that would slow the cars down significantly, enough to penalise them for going off, without the associated danger of gravel traps (spraying gravel everywhere, skimming the gravel, flipping in it etc). And if so how feasible would it be? I genuinely have no idea.

PVA?

seriously, this is not a bad idea, and im sure there is a very good answer out there-there must be a material like that to use and i reckon it would be good!

V12, over to you to find it!

ArrowsFA1
30th October 2009, 15:32
Actually, I said that as a joke but thinking about it, is there any high tech surface out there with, for want of a better word, "sticky" properties that would slow the cars down significantly, enough to penalise them for going off, without the associated danger of gravel traps (spraying gravel everywhere, skimming the gravel, flipping in it etc). And if so how feasible would it be? I genuinely have no idea.
Well it works in Forza Motorsport 3 :p

Sleeper
30th October 2009, 19:32
Well, the coloured strips on Paul Ricards run off are said to be so abrasive that they effectively ruin the tyres. I like this, not much chance of damaging the car like in a gravel trap but you still pay a pretty hefty price.

harsha
31st October 2009, 02:02
the drivers have to be punished for making a mistake...ruin the race...without causing any injury to them...

call_me_andrew
31st October 2009, 05:34
The main problem with Glock's crash was the flat spin the car entered after hitting a tire barrier at an angle. Tire barries are great for head on crashes, but if you hit at an angle or pancake the barrier, the part of the wall that doesn't collapse around your car will force you into a spin more voilent than the collision you're trying to soften. This is the advantage of the SAFER barrier.

airshifter
31st October 2009, 05:46
I prefer tracks like Suzuka where if you go off you get punished for it, it's how it should be, motor racing should be about going as fast as you can while staying on that strip of tarmac (adjust definition appropriately for gravel rallying, dirt ovals, motocross etc.).

Maybe they should line the tarmac runoffs with syrup or something, so that cars are able to get slowed/bogged down without spraying gravel everywhere :laugh:

They could accomplish both things by having good runoff areas, but simply have a "line of death" within that runoff. That way a car has a safe escape route in the case of a bad off, but still pays the price for using too much of it.

Maybe they could use a substance that would stick to the tires if crossed to leave no doubt if the line was touched.

cosmicpanda
31st October 2009, 08:59
Silly idea...Suzuka punishes drivers who make mistakes. Huge runoffs ruins many circuits and doesn't punish mistakes.

F1 is a dangerous sport, Glock was unlucky that he hurt his back and that takes huge pressures with the G forces so cannot race the last few GPs

I'm sorry, but you seem to have missed what I was saying totally. I wasn't disparaging Suzuka.

But the idea of a tyre-destroying surface appeals to me, as well.

Roamy
31st October 2009, 09:26

EDIT: Actually, I said that as a joke but thinking about it, is there any high tech surface out there with, for want of a better word, "sticky" properties that would slow the cars down significantly, enough to penalize them for going off, without the associated danger of gravel traps (spraying gravel everywhere, skimming the gravel, flipping in it etc). And if so how feasible would it be? I genuinely have no idea.

well pretty close I would say.. High speed corners should provide a safety area as to eliminate loss of life. low speed corners should penalize but allow the driver to continue. that makes for better racing. Gravel is too restricting and should be replaced.

Somebody
31st October 2009, 15:30
The basic problem with a "syrup" runoff would be that the circuit would have to constantly refresh it as dust/sand/leaves/tyre marbles/etc and evaporation would dry it up.

(Not to mention that finding marshalls to patrol the area may prove tricky :) )

Storm
2nd November 2009, 08:44
Maybe something like those speed-bumps on the Monza chicane can be used on these huge run-offs so they have to slow down or risk damage to the underbody/front wing.

call_me_andrew
3rd November 2009, 04:10
The basic problem with a "syrup" runoff would be that the circuit would have to constantly refresh it as dust/sand/leaves/tyre marbles/etc and evaporation would dry it up.

(Not to mention that finding marshalls to patrol the area may prove tricky :) )

Then there's the variables presented by ants and flies swarming on the track.

Somebody
3rd November 2009, 05:35
I doubt that even someone crazy enough to have a sticky runoff would use a substance involving actual sugar...

Somebody
3rd November 2009, 05:37
I doubt that even someone crazy enough to try a sticky runoff would be stupid enough to use a substance involving actual sugar...