PDA

View Full Version : Your top 3 favourite cities in the world?

DexDexter
29th October 2009, 08:36
I'm bored so let's do this... :)

1. Rome, just so much history and historical sights, nice climate and best food in the world (if you know where to eat).

2. New York, very cosmopolitan, lots of intelligent and pretty open-minded people, skyscrapers, burgers :)

3. Barcelona, La Rambla, climate, the old town and a pretty nice beach in the city which is surprising.

Bubbling under: London

Storm
29th October 2009, 09:24
Would this be cities you have visited or you just like (but have not visited?)
Ok I will do both lol

cities I have visited and love -

London - fantastic city (expensive yes) and all the history and buildings appeal to me.
San Francisco - Only went there for a day but liked it a lot.
Kuala Lumpur - a mix of modern and traditional plus good food there..

I have not been too but would love to go -

Barcelona - like London for all the architecture and culture and THE football club
Mexico City - a huge, bustling crazy city with some great places to see

Tomi
29th October 2009, 11:25
1. Berlin
2. Bangkok
3. Barcelona

Mark
29th October 2009, 13:03
Personally I don't like visiting big cities for a long time. I like smaller places and towns.

That's why I would put Rouen ahead of Paris. Edinburgh ahead of London.

jimakos
29th October 2009, 13:45
Athens
Barcelona
Milano

My favorite 3 cities...

gadjo_dilo
29th October 2009, 14:02
Barcelona
Paris
Viena

Couldn't visit any of them

Rudy Tamasz
29th October 2009, 15:16
Vienna (great architecture, food, people, overall as comfortable as taking a hot bath);
Budapest (has character, sometimes joyful, sometimes dark, but always like no other city);
Minsk (live there and see the hidden beauty of it).

schmenke
29th October 2009, 15:46
Montreal
Sydney
Hong Kong

Easy Drifter
29th October 2009, 16:23
London Eng.
Quebec City
Chicago or Vancouver

bowler
29th October 2009, 18:19
Tokyo
Melbourne
Barcelona

Mark in Oshawa
1st November 2009, 04:48
Montreal
Sydney
Hong Kong

You cant pick your hometown Schmenke...you cannot be objective about your hometown. That said, Montreal would be on a lot of people's lists.

I am going to take out of the three I have been to, Honolulu, Vancouver, Boston.

My three dream cities? Sydney, London, and Copenhagen.

Valve Bounce
1st November 2009, 05:32
Melbourne, where they play footy,

Denver, near Vail

Vancouver, near Whistler & Blackcombe.

Mark in Oshawa
1st November 2009, 06:33
Melbourne and Calgary would be my bubbling under cities for each category....Calgary I have been to and love, and Melbourne so I could watch the AFL grand final someday....

BeansBeansBeans
1st November 2009, 09:10
Of the cities I've visited I'd say Liverpool, Edinburgh and Toronto.

DexDexter
1st November 2009, 09:22
I'll only rate cities I've actually been to.
1. Coeur d'Alene
2. Quebec
3. Seoul

The many other cities were I've had an opportunity to stop were just cities, with nothing really special about them.

That was my original idea.

Valve Bounce
1st November 2009, 09:30
I do have to admit that Sydney isn't too bad; here's a scene from Bondi Beach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnaOkHfZ1vE

A.F.F.
1st November 2009, 09:37
My choice is:

Edinburgh
Paris
Los Angeles

All of them very different from each others but unbelievable fascinating cities in where I met nothing but nice people :)

pino
1st November 2009, 09:57
Sanremo
Jyvaskÿla
Hagfors

:p :

Camelopard
1st November 2009, 10:54
I don't understand the fascination with Sydney unless you live on the harbour or even more unlikely on the beach. You have to put up with congested roads and an abysmal public transport system.

Due to government incompetence and corporate greed it has one of the most expensive tollways in the world in the cross city tunnel, the airport is a joke, rivaling Heathrow and LA as the most inefficient airports in the world.

Air pollution is a real concern, the lack of water will become a major issue soon as well, you do realise that they still close beaches because the sh*t that is pumped offshore returns under certain circumstances to the "world's best beaches"?, yay to swimming in other people's crap! You guys have been watching way too many Paul Hogan commercials!

It does however have good restaurants and bookshops, so I don't mind visiting there occasionally, mind you where I stay at my sisters house in Birchgrove has uninterrupted views of the harbour, so she is one of the lucky ones!

Sydney, one of my top three? I don't think so!

Which cities would I rate in my top three? That is a too hard a question as it depends on what criteria you base your choices on! Certainly not Barcelona, I did not feel safe there at all, same for most 'merican cities, I've felt safer walking around Nairobi and Lagos than most large US cities, with the possible exception of Seattle. Honolulu was a first rate dump, flotsam and jetsam territory! Miami, well put it this way, I don't think I'll ever bother crossing Florida's state lines again! (vop, you can keep it all to yourself!)

North American cities I like are San Francisco, Vancouver and Victoria, Winterpeg was way too cold!

Cities in Asia? Bangkok would be top of the list for nightlife, Singapore rates the cleanest city in the world even if it is a police state. KL is a bit hit and miss.

Again cities in India, it depends what you want, food, entertainment? then Bombay, Calcutta just for the experience.

Kathmandu? I first wanted to go there when I heard Bob Seger's song and I don't regret doing that however now it is a good place to be a rich tourist.

Kabul was fun in the late seventies until the soviets and the west f*cked it up along with a lot of Pakistan.

China and her cities now? I don't know, I was there in there in the mid eighties when things were starting to change and 'greed is good' became the mantra, so I will reserve judgment until I've been back.

London was/is a good place to make a buck and enjoy yourself, again as long as you have lot's of money.

I've had fun in Scandinavian cities like Copenhagen, Stockholm and Helsinki, very safe, people actually respect you and are not out to rip you off to within an inch of your life.

My favourite cities in Europe would probably be Berlin, Dresden and Leipzig, vibrant full on cities where you can really have fun without risking life and limb!

My favourite other European city would be Paris, closely followed by Amsterdam, cities in Europe to forget in my opinion are Rome and Athens, out to milk a tourist for everything they have.

Top of the list of other cities I have enjoyed would be Damascus, lot's of history, laid back, exceptional food and very friendly people.

There are still lot's of cities to visit before I can make a decision, again it will come down to what you want from a place and what you hope it will give you.

1st November 2009, 11:16
Innsbruck, Berlin & Istanbul.

Valve Bounce
1st November 2009, 11:31

If you're gonna choose Innsbruck, then I'll choose St Anton ;)

DexDexter
1st November 2009, 15:01
Sanremo
Jyvaskÿla
Hagfors

:p :

:p

Mark in Oshawa
1st November 2009, 15:02
North American cities I like are San Francisco, Vancouver and Victoria, Winterpeg was way too cold!

3 Excellent choices...and as for Winnipeg, well even Canadians would have it very low on a list of choice destinations. People up there are good folk, hospitable as any, but Winnipeg is a mosquito infested flat city on a slow moving river for 2 month's and frozen the other 10...lol..well not quite 10, but it isn't going to win any awards for its long cold winters and brief nice summers.

Other Canadian cities I would recommend would be Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec and Halifax. If you like San Francisco, I would suggest San Diego.

harvick#1
1st November 2009, 18:09
never liked major cities, I stay out of them when I can.

I live near Chicago and being there once a year is ok, but thats one city that will piss you off the longer the day goes, most people are jerks and can't drive.

Camelopard
1st November 2009, 22:28
In my haste I forgot to mention some other cities that I like, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Christchurch, Vienna and Prague.
I enjoyed my time in Hamburg and Kiel, in fact just about any city in Germany except on sundays when it seems everything closes!

Mark, I do intend getting over to the eastern part of Canada, hopefully soon.

Tomi
1st November 2009, 22:39

Innsbruck is very nice, Salzburg too.

Mark in Oshawa
1st November 2009, 22:46
never liked major cities, I stay out of them when I can.

I live near Chicago and being there once a year is ok, but thats one city that will piss you off the longer the day goes, most people are jerks and can't drive.

I read this post and I broke out laughing. You have NO IDEA how much I hate that town...I went through it 4 times last week, and the last time was Friday afternoon. Took me 3 hours to go from the Wisconsin line thru to the bottom....and it is just an ugly place from the interstate once you get south of Montrose (no TriState Tollway for me...)

Mark in Oshawa
1st November 2009, 22:48
Mark, I do intend getting over to the eastern part of Canada, hopefully soon.

I am envious my friend for all the places you have seen. Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec and Halifax are not spectacular maybe in some ways, but they are just great cities. Ottawa with the number of parks and museums, plus the market and canal; Montreal for the nightlife and architecture, Quebec ditto, and Halifax just for the down home hospitality, maritime hertiage and the like.....

J4MIE
2nd November 2009, 00:08
In no particular order:

Bologna
Paris
Helsinki

Plan to explore for a long time to come before making a final decision on that :D

Mark in Oshawa
2nd November 2009, 00:13
Bologna I hear has GREAT food.....

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2009, 02:47
So!! how does anyone rate Baltimore?

Storm
2nd November 2009, 05:19
I have been to Baltimore only once for a day or so and it seemed pretty good to me..

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2009, 10:17
I have been to Baltimore only once for a day or so and it seemed pretty good to me..

Is The Wire typical of anything there?

Storm
2nd November 2009, 12:30
Sorry but I have no clue what The Wire is..if it is a TV programme you asked the wrong guy :p :

Mark in Oshawa
2nd November 2009, 16:29
So!! how does anyone rate Baltimore?Why Balitimore? Crab Cakes are the specialty, apparnetly they have micro breweries there,but hey, lots of cities have brew pubs. It has an interesting inner harbour but it is a pretty gritty place. Outside of the Orioles downtown, The Preakness at Pimlico in May, and visiting Fort McHenry out in the harbour, I cant think of a reason I would go to Baltimore. Not with all the museums and interesting stuff just an hour or so down the road in Annapolis or Washington.

2nd November 2009, 16:32
So!! how does anyone rate Baltimore?

Absolutely beautiful.

http://www.baltimore.ie/

But a bit small for a City.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd November 2009, 16:35
Tam...small? Baltimore I do believe has over a million plus people. Large enough....

Mark in Oshawa
2nd November 2009, 16:36
Oops....ya tricked me TAM...lmao

2nd November 2009, 16:43
Oops....ya tricked me TAM...lmao

Ah, tis the place were my fairest maiden was born, so it is....a loverly place!

Seriously.....South Western tip of Ireland is beautiful.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd November 2009, 16:44
Tam, I am 100% sure that it is. Ireland is on my very short list of places I have to visit before I shed this mortal coil.....

DexDexter
2nd November 2009, 18:26
Is The Wire typical of anything there?

Isn't Baltimore a prime example of urban decay? Edit: I don't mean the original Baltimore.

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2009, 21:39
Isn't Baltimore a prime example of urban decay? Edit: I don't mean the original Baltimore.

Watching The Wire tonight. On HD.

J4MIE
3rd November 2009, 00:21
Bologna I hear has GREAT food.....

It always helps me decide if I like a place or not :D

leopard
3rd November 2009, 07:26
Not much traveling worldwide except habitat currently where I settle down, but here my top lists:

1. Kuta..., a region in southern of Denpasar, besides the exotic culture of Bali it has spectacular sunset, this place is unforgettable...
2. Kuala Lumpur..., great combination of traditional and religious culture, and modern industry and lifestyle. I was very lucky when years ago a friend invited me with full accommodation to watch concert of Amy...
3. Thiruvanthapuram..., the whole Kerala are fine, this city is not exempted. It was a precious time when spending time to enjoy beautiful sunset, the coffee shop was great, Shilpha Shetty spotted there.... Hoping another business trip to this region...

A.F.F.
3rd November 2009, 09:57
I've had fun in Scandinavian cities like Copenhagen, Stockholm and Helsinki, very safe, people actually respect you and are not out to rip you off to within an inch of your life.

You have visited these cities but not try to meet us ??? Shame on you Camelopard ;)

Mark in Oshawa
3rd November 2009, 12:01
In addition to the above, there are a number of museums, art and otherwise, theater, the symphony, MANY great places to eat starting with little Italy, night life at Fell's Point and Camden, the Ravens (better than the Orioles any day), etc., etc.

And (from your later post) Baltimore's current population is around 650K in the city plus surrounding suburbs.

REALLY just 650000? That surprises me you can support an NFL team on that. Jacksonville has over a million and can't do it.....then again Jacksonville is NOT a real attractive nor interesting city....a dump in some parts...

Camelopard
3rd November 2009, 21:19
You have visited these cities but not try to meet us ??? Shame on you Camelopard ;)

I first went to Scandinavia in 1976, went to the 1000 lakes (I still have the T-shirt somewhere) and a couple of GP's and other motorsport related stuff.

Then I lost interest in all forms of motorsport and didn't really get involved with rallying again until the late 1990's. Most of my travelling was done between 1978 and 1990!

Trips since the mid 1990's have been to Canada and the US, NZ, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Germany Poland, Czech Republic.

On my to do list is more of Norway, in particular way up north, eastern Canada, north east and north west US, South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Mozambique, Madagascar, Zambia, Malawi, Botswana, the whole of the former Eastern Europe (in particular Romania to see Gadjo_Dilo) and the former Soviet Republics, in particular the Stans! Oh and I forgot Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Kunming, Bhutan, Sikkim, parts of India, Bangladesh, the Koreas, Japan again, this time Hokaido, sooo many places still to go!

Plus I do have intentions of making contact with people from this forum in future!

A.F.F.
3rd November 2009, 22:46
I first went to Scandinavia in 1976, went to the 1000 lakes (I still have the T-shirt somewhere) and a couple of GP's and other motorsport related stuff.

Then I lost interest in all forms of motorsport and didn't really get involved with rallying again until the late 1990's. Most of my travelling was done between 1978 and 1990!

Trips since the mid 1990's have been to Canada and the US, NZ, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Germany Poland, Czech Republic.

On my to do list is more of Norway, in particular way up north, eastern Canada, north east and north west US, South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Mozambique, Madagascar, Zambia, Malawi, Botswana, the whole of the former Eastern Europe (in particular Romania to see Gadjo_Dilo) and the former Soviet Republics, in particular the Stans! Oh and I forgot Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Kunming, Bhutan, Sikkim, parts of India, Bangladesh, the Koreas, Japan again, this time Hokaido, sooo many places still to go!

Plus I do have intentions of making contact with people from this forum in future!

Ok, maybe it's better we have the possibility to meet you in the future. 1976 I wasn't really good at speaking english, I was four years old :p :

I highly recommend northern Norway. It's absolutely beautiful place... IMO it would be best to head to Narvik region and up north from there. :up:

Storm
4th November 2009, 07:54
Camelopard, "Sikkim,parts of India" ? Do you endorse the Chinese on that one? ;)

Sikkim is a part of India and it is beautiful too :up: :)

DexDexter
4th November 2009, 08:53
The surprising thing about this thread is New York. Am I the only one on this forum who loves NY?

Storm
4th November 2009, 10:12
I seem to miss NYC every time I have gone to the US . I have been there 3 times and I have only seen the long walk-ways of JFK till date :\
I planned on going to NYC on new-year's eve a couple of years ago and I had a dreadful tooth-ache the night before which sabotaged that plan. My sister who has lived for a year in Manhattan absolutely loves the city and I have heard and seen so much about it but never have been able to go there.

If ever I make it to N. America again, I will make sure I visit the damn place...race afi are you reading? ;)

Tomi
4th November 2009, 10:12
The surprising thing about this thread is New York. Am I the only one on this forum who loves NY?

I have been in New York, but dont like it much, there is nothing much interesting to see (older builings), also the basic infrastructure is quite lousy, it was summer when i was there, they did ration the electricity, and the aircon in the metro is crap, but there is nice places too, good museums.......... on my list around 13-15.
Also i dont like the 20% tip system there.

Drew
4th November 2009, 15:57
Seville, Verona, Luxembourg City :)

Camelopard
4th November 2009, 21:43
Camelopard, "Sikkim,parts of India" ? Do you endorse the Chinese on that one? ;)

Sikkim is a part of India and it is beautiful too :up: :)

No I don't support the chinese view, but I do think that Sikkim like Tibet should be an independant country as is Bhutan!

Bezza
5th November 2009, 12:55
My top three that I have been to

1) Seattle
2) Dublin
3) Amsterdam

Worst 3 (just for comparison)

3) Milan
2) Paris
1) Venice, by far

schmenke
5th November 2009, 15:03
What was so bad about Venice?

Tomi
5th November 2009, 15:17
What was so bad about Venice?

Not Bezza but, Venice as a town is worth to see i think, but my trip there made me allergic towards Italy for a long time, on the way to there some guys tryed to steel the tires from the car, and the guy in the parkinghouse at Venice had problem to find place in a empty parking house before I gave him a 6-pack, so instead of spending 2 weeks in Italy, it became short trip to Venice and Trieste and from there to Balaton in Hungary. :)
But I have been to Rome after that, worth to see as well.

ozrevhead
6th November 2009, 14:27
Tam, I am 100% sure that it is. Ireland is on my very short list of places I have to visit before I shed this mortal coil.....
Same here

ID want to visit 4 places before I kick my bucket

Ireland - looks like a dream and everyone tells me how super friendly the people are
Italy - trace family herritage
France - during Le Tour to follow it from start to finish
The Carrabiean

for the life of me I CAN NOT understand why people want to visit India - doesnt appeal to me whatsoever

DexDexter
6th November 2009, 14:35
Same here

ID want to visit 4 places before I kick my bucket

Ireland - looks like a dream and everyone tells me how super friendly the people are
Italy - trace family herritage
France - during Le Tour to follow it from start to finish
The Carrabiean

for the life of me I CAN NOT understand why people want to visit India - doesnt appeal to me whatsoever

I've been to Ireland and after places like Rome or Paris or London, IMO Dublin is just ugly and dull, I really didn't understand what the fuss was about. Lots of smelly pubs, brick, brick and brick, fĺavourless food and a wet climate. There were nice places in Ireland, the Aran islands on the west coast were beautiful and interesting, but Dublin...tell me guys what's it about?

Mark in Oshawa
7th November 2009, 03:47
Same here

...for the life of me I CAN NOT understand why people want to visit India - doesnt appeal to me whatsoever

The Indian comedian by way of Canada (he was born here to Indian parents) Russell Peters does a great bit on how Indian he felt until he landed and got off the plane in India. He is pretty harsh on his parent's native land, but he loves the people and it comes out in his humour. Of course he rips everyone, white, black, yellow or brown

Storm
9th November 2009, 06:59

each to his own I guess, but perhaps you still think there are elephants and snakes roaming on the roads here?
I know a few people who think its true and are disappointed to see that most cities here are quite different than what they thought it would be like ;)

Of course it is going to be a huge cultural shock coming to India from the Western world, but I guess most people who do come and enjoy it are the ones that keep an open mind (and especially the fact that we are a poor nation who are still developing, unlike some of the countries in the west who have had a 300 yr head-start on us)

Also some of the attractions of India are the vast variety of places to see, natural beauty, culture (oh but you are from Australia :p : ), food, history, architecture, festivals etc

ps: odykas, any comments?

Tomi
9th November 2009, 08:46
each to his own I guess, but perhaps you still think there are elephants and snakes roaming on the roads here?
I know a few people who think its true and are disappointed to see that most cities here are quite different than what they thought it would be like ;)

Of course it is going to be a huge cultural shock coming to India from the Western world, but I guess most people who do come and enjoy it are the ones that keep an open mind (and especially the fact that we are a poor nation who are still developing, unlike some of the countries in the west who have had a 300 yr head-start on us)

Also some of the attractions of India are the vast variety of places to see, natural beauty, culture (oh but you are from Australia :p : ), food, history, architecture, festivals etc

I think you are right, no point to critisise places where have not been, different people like and value different things also.

Mark in Oshawa
14th November 2009, 06:09

Storm, India has a lot to teach the West. That said, for us Westerners, it isn't that India is behind us. India had a civilization when my ancestors were running around Ireland digging up potatoes and wondering who this St. Patrick fella might be. India has given a lot to the world. The problem tho is the sheer weight and feeling of the massive population, the crowding; and yes, the poverty and different views on hygiene. The reality is, up until 150 years ago, everyone lived that way in many western cities as well. India will get there in its own time and own way. Never apologize for your nation, at least not on this topic.